Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yes it's still going, and he still works on it. He's shown off quite a bit of the game at differebt times, and it honestly looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Weeekend RPG is where the real hype is at though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's not like Hiveswap or something where the devs actually disappear off the map and don't talk anywhere for ages. Frankie's streams show off a lot of the game and some of the other devs talk there too sometimes. Definitely out of primary money but they're still making progress, and actually making something good (also unlike hiveswap).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Hiveswap came out tho
And what a mistake that turned out to be.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm giving Frankie 2.50 a month in primebux on twitch, maybe the rest of you scrubs failed them but I'm sure not.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Because he's really good at it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

He sure doesn't need a day job.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hell, look what Frankie could make in one weekend: https://frankiesmileshow.itch.io/devil-cult-party

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I dunno, his functional mockups have looked pretty fun. Admittedly I'm more excited for weekendrpg at this point though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They're just thinking of the right words to say. They know they won't sound the way they plan them to be. But if you wait around a while they'll finish up Barkley, I promise you they will.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If only ToG hadn't been exposed to the malevolent influence of Incan gold...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The steps are
A) drop into Frankie's stream
B) see he's working on his horror rpg today rather than barkley
C) get hyped for his horror rpg

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yes, nothing has changed per a week or so ago. Things slow down during the holidays but they're presumably getting back to it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Frankie works on it as needs demand and it depends somewhat on the other devs' schedules and whatnot. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Scarodactyl posted:

Frankie works on it as needs demand and it depends somewhat on the other devs' schedules and whatnot. I wouldn't read too much into it.
Quick followup, I remembered to ask him during a stream, and he said he hasnt been working on it because his art is largely complete. No doubt still a lot of development to so but a good sign.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Barkley is hella late but what we've seen of it really is exceptional.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yes. He has pretty much finished up his art, and stepped back from doing other dev things on it because there were too many cooks in the kitchen. If I am recalling correctly, that's what he sees as the source of most of their delays and development issues, too many people with good ideas working a bit too independently. So at this point they're apparently working more on getting everything they have implemented and put together.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

'Several' does not begin to describe the number of gun's png's.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Entorwellian posted:

CBoyardee was asking for work on an RPG dev. website a couple of years ago (might have been rpgcodex) and got called out by the userbase asking what happened Barkey II. He never replied or returned to the thread.
All of them have other jobs at this point. They have been working on spec for ages, and you can't eat spec.
Frankie is not much involved at this point since his art assets are wrapped up and he's working on his horror RPG pretty much full time now but he's said things are still progressing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

drat.
At least Frankie's horror rpg is going great.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, that classic scam where you put in hundreds of hours of skilled labor for free to own your mark.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Victory Position posted:

Hit me up with this, what is it?
Frankie has been working on his own horror rpg project for years now. It started as a little side project so he'd have an excuse draw tons of awesome monsters on the weekends but recently transitioned into being his main project. Not formally announced yet, but he streams work on it most days. It is going to be insane. Also full disclosure I am drawing some tiles for it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just a reminder that this guy (Frankie) is making his own absurdly cool rpg, so you have that to look forward to.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

everythingWasBees posted:

is there anyplace that's a good spot to watch for updates for that?
Probably his twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/FrancisCoulombe
Always worth popping into one of his twitch streams too (he's FrankiePixelShow on twitch).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Also he streamed drawing the gun's as well as implementing the cool features of the gun's. They looked absolutely amazing in motion. Honestly even if combat weren't challenging or fun on a mechanical level just those mechanisms might have been enough to keep most of us amused.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dibs on plantain because he took my dumb suggestion of naming the super banana gun' the cavendishtroyer.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I will say this: I offered to work on the game for free and Bhroom did not take me up on it, which was pretty good of him.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There are, other things aside, at least tens of thousands of dollars worth of high quality graphics made for this game, finished polished and formatted. Hard/impossible to reuse or resell but already a solid asset backbone even if a project were started from scratch. I can easily see how that would affect decision making.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Was barkley 1 responsible for the slam jam remix trend?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

space marine todd posted:

cyberdwarf fortress
B4rkly 4: Cyberdwarf Fourtress

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Is that a place called coulombe, an npc called coulombe, Frankie Coulombe, or all of the above??

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My biggest problem with it was the tone. Stuff like janky or incomplete combat, it being difficult to judge the relative merits of gun's, etc etc are all matters of ironing out mechanics. But the central kernel of the game, the writing (after the very funny and on-point character creation and intro) feels misguided to me. There are some decent joke's here and there but it feels swamped by lots and lots of mean (and a surprising abundance of scatological) stuff that doesn't do much for me, or really feel very B1 either. Like, haha, you didn't wait in a long line and the one guy who helped you out gets evicted, and that's your fault. You didn't go with the obvious signaling that the sketchy kobold was secretly a good guy and played it straight, some refugees get pulped. You get rounded up into the hoosegow and have a long segment about making GBS threads yourself. Hilarious. Multiple people get crucified, and not in a funny "even poor chuchu??" kind of way. I don't have a problem with black humor or dark content in games per se, but it needs to have some purpose. If it's just there for humor then "it's mean, to the characters and to you the player" isn't much of a punchline. It's not like B1 didn't pull jokes at the player's expense, but there's a pretty big difference between "haha you didn't get the nonexistent keys to chuchulainn's tomb" vs how b2 feels like it's punishing any attempt to engage with the characters or setting.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

J.A.B.C. posted:

I've been busy with moving and have missed out on this thread.

What the gently caress happened? There's a demo now?

Tunicate posted:

I compiled the demo and am hosting it here, gently caress the police.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Clearly they mean xenogears.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Frankie's horror RPG is going to be absolutely amazing. I am really glad I managed to grab onto his coattails to work on that, it's been a crazy ride so far.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

More like dork drakers.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Toronto Game Jam 2020 entry with Frankie and music by Chef Boyardee and some other great people too like Lurdiak who you'll recognize from this thread.
https://frankiesmileshow.itch.io/stellar-nexus

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Magical qo' tír na nóg: nargh vo' necron 7 – bortaS cuchulainn: Unofficial Quj Movie – Chapter cha' hoopz barkley SaGa.
:A New Legacy

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They didn't like they said they wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Less like exploring a dungeon, more like being ferried through a rail shooter? It seems like a significant break in immersion anyway.
I agree it looks really nice but I don't think it would be my cup of tea.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 1, 2020