Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm kind of confused as to why you didn't put the FAQ in the OP into the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Heti posted:

Is there any way to download the kickstarter video?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/385835/video-186846-h264_high.mp4

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Heti posted:

Thanks!

And Chef, barkley 1 is one of the best jrpgs I've ever played and also one of the funniest games period. The kickstarter video made me laugh out loud three times and I have no doubt that the final game will be loving incredible.
You can download any flash video with built-in tools if you use chrome.

Ctrl-shift-i, click the network tab, then start the video. Look through the list of network resources, right-click the video (it'll be the one that's many megs when everything else is tiny), Copy Link Address

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

I have no idea what the process is (beyond Greenlight), or if Barkley 2 meets their standard of quality, or any of that. It is something I would very much like to try, but right now it is too far ahead and too big for me to even wrap my head around.
With a kickstarter response this strong, you're practically a shoe-in for Greenlight. DO IT

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Any chance of an add-on system like Project Eternity where you can pledge an extra $10 for another copy?

RoboCicero posted:

Someone has already pledged the 1,000 dollar goal. God bless you guys.
There can only be one

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zackarotto posted:

I'm so god drat excited. Really. Barkley was the funniest game I have ever played. I've already pledged, but having it on Steam would be cool and I'd give it a vote on Greenlight.

If there was some assurance like "If we can get it on Steam, we'll give backers a Steam code", that would be awesome, but I don't know if that's feasible.

I know trying to push for the continued monopoly of Steam is kinda poo poo and everything but... I like having all most of my game's in one place... :negative:
Valve seems to be pretty cool about this sort of thing, I'd be shocked if they got onto Steam and were unable to give backers Steam codes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Where's the Uniracers reference?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just passed 25k! And there's only one spot at the $300 tier left.

Androc posted:

Serious post: add more rewards in the $1000+ range. There are more people who will pay that.
Yup.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

So is Game Maker actually a good tool for this kind of game? Or is it more that you guys are already familiar with it?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Novasol posted:

The time, effort, and money would be much better spent just getting it on Steam, where you will likely make money hand over fist. Steam is also big on advertising games that work on Mac (and soon, Linux), so the infrastructure will be there for the ports, too.
And thanks to big picture mode, you can just add controller support and it's almost like having it on a console!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If they could get in on XBLA, they might be able to make a decent chunk of change, really depends on the marketing I think. Definitely don't bother porting it if you could only get XBLIG though.

edit: Although by the time this comes out it's possible all the attention will be on the Xbox 720 and nobody will care about new 360 games except for the major AAA hits.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

On the topic of porting, though, we're looking into Linux porting and apparently it's a lot easier to do than console ports. This is something we've received quite a few emails about (more than console ports at least), so I think there's at least some market for it.
Be careful with this. Linux nerds are super whiny outspoken but practically the whole linux ethos is, "Software should be, like, free, maaaan" so the market of paying customers may be smaller than it appears based on feedback, especially when you consider that any gamer who runs linux almost certainly dual boots Windows anyway. Still, it might be a good idea if it's not that hard (especially with Steam being ported to Linux), and maybe it would make potentially porting to Android tablets easier?

On that note, have guys looked at porting to the iPad? iOS seems to be where all the mobile $$$ are.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

helopticor posted:

I think you may be surprised; Linux users consistently pay significantly more for Humble Bundles (pay what you want for this bunch of games) than Windows/Mac users.
I know, but I think there's two issues at play there:

a) Linux fans will go out of their way to support game initiatives that line up with their ideology (Humble Indie Bundle is cross-platform, DRM-free, lets you pay what you want). I guess Barkley 2 hits the first two of those, so that would help.
b) Each linux fan that pays may be willing to pay more, but what percentage of them are willing to pay, period? Or rather, what percentage of linux users that game but don't dual boot to Windows will pay?

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea, but I don't think it's a slam dunk either.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Plenty of (most?) gamers want to wait until a game actually finishes development and comes out before they buy it, if a game is good I'm sure it will still get plenty of post-release sales.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One of the problems is that games like that Penny Arcade one don't commit to their aesthetic. So you end up with a jarring and ugly combination of 16 bit graphics and impossible and terrible looking portraits. And the art they do make is so incredibly derivative of the FF games that there's a pretty good chance that they directly copied a lot of the sprites and colors, and simply recolored and/or slightly altered them.

BSUAJ:G also didn't commit to its look, but it was a freeware game and was otherwise really good, so I gave it a pass. It appears that Barkley 2 is completely committed to the 16-bit RPG look. On top of that, they are going for a unique aesthetic in terms of both environment and character design, so it still feels fresh. It's retro pixel art done right.

edit: Actually, I'd say that Barkley 2 has more of a 32-bit PS1 2D RPG look. But I guess my point is that it is completely consistent and doesn't seem to ever betray its aesthetic.
I'm not sure how fair this comparison is, isn't the Barkley 2 team significantly larger than Zeboyd (which is all of two dudes)?

edit: I thought Sealark did a good job with pixel art, especially considering that it's being made by two developers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yaos posted:

Was Shaq even in the Space Jam? How can he expect to slam with the best if he can't even jam with the rest?
No, but I'm pretty sure I remember him being a genie at some point. That means he has semi-phenomenal, nearly cosmic powers!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I know you said you can't sell the game pack separately from the kickstarter, but what about the music?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

Is it something you actually want? I guess, if you want it. It's not something I really thought about. It's not that great for the most part.
Yeah, when I have a bit more spending money. It sounds like other goons are really enjoying it, and I like what I've heard so far.

You've heard of bandcamp I presume?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 5, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just FYI Jon Schafer (lead designer on a little game called Civ 5) just had his kickstarter finish and he got 106,000: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonshafer/jon-shafers-at-the-gates

Pretty amazing that Barkley 2 got $14,000 more than the lead dude on such a big budget game.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

New update! And news!

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km2Muh9kSi0

Mystical Greetings,

So we had promised big news mid-August and we have just that. We're going to PAX Prime in two weeks to be part of the awe-inspiring Indie MegaBooth!

That truck haul of bonkers nonsense above is going to be exhibited along with over 83 games from 78 developers. And how!

You can check out more information about Barkley 2 here on the IMB site.

If any of you kiddos are going to be in Seattle for PAX Prime from August 30th to September 2nd, send us a message or swing by Booth 867. Surprises abound.

Everyone also let us know what you think about the video! In an update very soon we'll walk through the video and let you know what's going on in detail.

Semper Games,
ToG

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I wonder what the alignment chart will be used for.

edit: Has the name changed to "BARKLEY 2: QUEKLAIN NO VENGEANT"?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 15, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

We wanted to see if we could get away with putting a fake name on the PAX thing.
I actually prefer "Queklain no Vengeant".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I backed the game during the kickstarter but is there any way for me to give you guys more money now?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hey Narshe, how ya doing?

Also it's been 3 months since the last real dev update on kickstarter. What's up, Chef?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Chef Boyardee posted:

Nothing really, we're working on the game as always. I guess we feel like we have to have something really amazing to show for updates, rather than incremental reports like our scripting system is better, we have better debug tools, we made a lot of progress doing x and y.
Eh, a couple paragraphs of text and a few screenshots are fine for most updates.

quote:

But there should be an update soon, the game will be playable at GDC.
Oh hey at GDC in SF huh? Well maybe I'll just go see about getting a tickeMAIN CONFERENCE PASS $1350

Welp, perhaps another time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Apparently this is playable at GDC. Do any sites have a write-up?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's been more than five months since regular, peasant-level backers have gotten a development update.

:(

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Fullscreen mode works properly on my Macbook Pro, I was surprised to find yesterday.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Gortarius posted:

Hey is that rockcicero or rock something guy from SA?

Makking those gifs you waited anxiously....
Here I am, rock you like a hurricane. Although I meant more that it would be a good idea to release the gifs in a kickstarter update, not just to me (or goons) specifically.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Well, you could use gifycat: http://www.gfycat.com/about

Also, those are indeed pretty sweet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is Barkley 2 going to be KB+M only or will there be gamepad support?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just listened to this song on Pandora, reminded me of Barkley 2's music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F4kcKTB_K8

Have a nice day!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I am expect a Lufia 2-esque number of puzzles in Queklain no Vengeant's dungeons, Mr. Boyardee. Make it happen!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Is it like the sword dueling mode in NES Robin Hood? That was great.

In fact now that I think about it, it was kind of like...Nidhogg? Maybe, my memory is fuzzy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If you make this one good, the next one has to be even gooder. Do you want that on your conscience, Chef? Do you really?

edit: Barkely 2 should have something like this - http://2mellomakes.bandcamp.com/album/final-fantasy-the-3-6-chambers

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Did ToG ever say what the party members actually do? Maybe I'm retarded but seems like we've seen them on the party status screen but never in gameplay.

If they actually participate in fights, local co-op please so my toddler can jam with me, I would love you forever for this (if it's too late for this game then in the expansion).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taqutor/buck-and-miles-a-cross-platform-2d-platformer/description

quote:

Soundtrack by the amazing brentalfloss (Video Games "WITH LYRICS"), virt (Shovel Knight), Eric "cboyardee" Shumaker (Barkley, Shut Up & Jam: Gaiden) and Alexander Brandon (Deus Ex, Jazz Jackrabbit).
Is Barkley 2 not enough vidcon for you, Chef? WE ARE BETRAYED

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Great Joe posted:

May I suggest Paint.NET?
Good suggestion.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gortarius, maybe try using GIMP?
Or even better: http://www.gimpshop.com/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It'll probably fail because there's nothing really compelling about the pitch, and we're definitely not starved for 2D platformers these days (and the target demographic for that kind of straightforward Mario clone is not the demographic that backs kickstarters). Also I hate how zoomed-in it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The Chef giveth, and the Chef taketh away.