Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
RE: Hans Zimmer

I feel that the only score he ever deserved an award for was the one he got the academy award for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aubjzXHYKs4

His scores lately have been unimaginative and indistinguishable from each other. Yet the fanboys will always start rolling out during Oscar season and demand that he wins an award for ACTION SOUNDTRACK Mk. 8 Ver. 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

the last signal... posted:

What do you all think about the score for The Assassination of Jesse James?

It's is one of my favourite films of all time, and I think the score really has a lot to do with that. Everything about the film was so moody and immersive, and Nick Cave and Warren Ellis really captured that melancholic western feel. It's depressingly beautiful. Or beautifully depressing, or something.

I think its a fantastic score, to refute what was said above.

The songs never go anywhere you don't expect. But they build a sense of dread which works so well with the film. The simplicity of the music really is a plus for me, it feels more intimate and personal than say the standard western music score.

However I will say that The Road didn't stray too far from this formula, which wasn't an AWFUL thing because again, its a film that has an absolute sense of dread, and the music accompanies this... But it could be an indicator that Nick Cave doesn't want to try anything too risky.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

Appropriate to the thread title, loved Zimmer's work for Interstellar. It's a bit more melodic than his other Nolan scores but has a cool 2001 vibe.

Admittedly I don't know much about music, but I swear to god my ears did a double take because he actually did a song in a major key vs. a minor.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here is a thing:

I was unaware that this was a common practice by Mr. Mann.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I feel like I'm pretty critical of Zimmer but Interstellar was pretty great, even if it still followed his typical 4 bars repeating and growing formula.

I think even Nolan wants Zimmer to win it this year because he mixed the score to be front and center of the movie. :v:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thomas Newman generally doesn't know how to score for the tone of the scene in general.

See: Nightcrawler.

VVV EDIT: Oops.

VVV EDIT 2: I've heard that interpretation before... Has there been other examples of this done in other films? I'd be interested to see.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

So I watched The Thin Red Line all the way through for the first time yesterday and one of Zimmer's pieces in it kept bugging me because it sounded so familiar. I thought maybe I'd heard it in a trailer or something but it turns out it reminded me of a track from a completely different movie by a different composer. Going by the comments I'm not alone there.

For comparison:

"Journey to the Line" by Hans Zimmer, from The Thin Red Line (1998)
"Unravelling" by Harry Escott, from Shame (2011)

Could be a coincidence but that's pretty drat close.

The Thin Red Line track just reaffirms how much Zimmer lifts from himself.

Not that he is the only composer that has a habit of doing that.