Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

If your tapes are so drat special that they don't exist anywhere except for your tapes, get a small player, patch it in to your pc, and rip the audio to digital files. Rip them as a big wav and you can fully edit and eq the sound, level the volume, and then break the tracks up. Also you will then have them at your fingertips and can back them up for all eternity.

Or if your head's got an aux in and you don't want to rip them, get yourself a Walkman and hook that bad boy into your stereo. It'll be like the 90s never ended! Except with portable tape players instead of portable CD players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Noni posted:

I'm a complete newbie to car audio, but I thought I could at least install a head unit. But I need advice, please. This is the back of my new unit, which is really a refurb:

This is what my harness looks like.

Am I missing something? Did I buy the wrong harness, is my head unit missing a part, or am I meant to solder the wires directly to that black box?

The head unit should have been packaged with its own harness. If it's missing, contact the seller and get them to send you one.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

blk posted:

So Pioneer's AppRadio 2 is $150 on Crutchfield now. I've heard great things and I've heard awful things. I have an iPhone4 and will be switching to Android later this year. Any thoughts on this headunit?

That's the AppRadio, not the AppRadio 2. Don't be confused by Pioneer's bizarre model numbering system. The DA-02 is the AppRadio; the DA-100 is the AppRadio 2.

If it works with what devices you have right now, and what you plan to buy (the AppRadio does not have Android support), and has the features you need for the audio you want, then awesome. But it's priced that way because it's pretty barebones and Pioneer's basically given a giant "gently caress you" to AppRadio owners with regard to continued support.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 6, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Hopefully you're certain about your vehicle's equipment. The Metra harness will only work if you do not have the Boston Acoustics package. As there's no badging for that package, many people don't realize they have it until they go and install an aftermarket stereo and get... nothing.

When the sun's up, go pop your liftgate and look in the vents on the left (driver) side of the cargo area. If you see a silver box with some heat sink fins, you need to call Crutchfield back and get the CAN adapter harness instead. If you see a vast empty expanse, you should be fine with what you already ordered.

Beyond that, just follow the instructions Crutchfield sends you. (You can actually download them as a PDF right now from your order details.) Their guides are well illustrated and easy to follow. There's nothing particularly tricky in your interior, and the adapter harness makes things basically foolproof assuming you can competently connect pairs of wires together.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I was very impressed with infinity kappas when I ran them except the tweeters are very, very bright.

Along that line, I'm not sure if my Infinity tweeters have mellowed with use or just rendered me deaf in the upper register.

I'm assuming the former because I can still hear flyback transformers. They're still bright, but I fully expected my eardrums to rupture the day I installed them.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
If you've been holding out for a cheap AppRadio 2, it's your time:
Best Buy is selling it for $279 out the door.

At retailers other than Best Buy, Pioneer's running a $120 rebate through the end of the month. Crutchfield's running a $100 price break which stacks to arrive at the same final price of $279.

Whether it's selling slowly or clearing inventory for an AppRadio 3 is anybody's guess, but if a 2 meets your needs then there you go.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lowclock posted:

You might lose your door bonger thing unless you get a little harness to pipe it back in there (it's been a while since I've done a new Jeep, not sure about yours) but it should work fine.

All good on that front; Chrysler hasn't gone the way of GM so far. A piezo is integrated into the instrument cluster to provide beeps and bloops.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

b0nes posted:

On Crutchfield.com they have a configurator that lists the headunits compatible with your car. How accurate is that? Shouldn't your car be in theory be able to take any single/double DIN head unit?

Today the answer's generally yes (except where integration's gotten completely out of hand), but you can still run into depth issues with some cars and some head units.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Maserati is partnered with B&W.

If you want some sweet sweet B&W action, just gotta go grab yourself a Quattroporte.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

M3wThr33 posted:

Well, the other alternative is to go streaming only and use an Android app, because I already have my Galaxy S4 hooked up over the audio and I stream Pandora just fine.

Get the free trial before you plan on that. When last I used SiriusXM streaming, it sounded even shittier than an actual SiriusXM signal does. And that was on an excellent DSL connection.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

I guess just taking it apart will give me the best answer. The face on my stereo is not removable, are the screens usually attached to the outer plastic in some way where I'll wreck it if I try taking it apart?

Totally depends on the unit. Usually if you pull it out of the dash you can get a good idea how serviceable it is.

JVC and Panasonic used to (haven't looked in a couple years) have service materials and exploded parts diagrams online. You might try digging around on their site and seeing if you can find anything helpful.

If the screen's available as a separate part from the face, odds are good it's easily disassemble...able.
If you can find a service manual, you don't even have to guess at how to do it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

johnny sack posted:

However, I just bought 4 of these and, frankly, I'd be happy with just an auxiliary input. I have found, on ebay, basically a wire harness that you install that adds an auxiliary input.
Here

Anyone use a harness like this? Do they work well? Easy to use/install/keep factory amp/steering wheel controls?

I know a couple people with them. Works fine. If you have a base model head you'll lose Sirius, but I'm not sure that's a huge loss post-merger.

Cage posted:

I dont know anything about the car specifically, but did you look at crutchfield? I drive an 04 mustang with the silly mach audio system, and they threw in the adapter I needed to use the factory amps and subs for free when I bought an aftermarket radio.

The amp in late-model Chryslers is managed by CANBUS. With Crutchfield's new head discount, the adapter's $80. Better than full price but still spendy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

intheflesh posted:

So I'm trying to piece together a stereo for my new (to me) car and I would like some input. I've got everything picked out, just want to know if any of these things are total crap or certain components are a massive waste of money or some suggestions for other directions to go in.
Here is the list of stuff:

That link goes to the current user's wishlist (i.e. the wishlist of whoever clicks it). Either copy and paste the items here, or grab the list's URL from the "Share" link at the top right.

intheflesh posted:

Also, is it worth it to figure out the steering wheel controls? I don't really use them (channel up and down, and phone button that does nothing, and volume up and down) so I won't mind if that goes away with the non-stock stereo, but would I hate myself down the road when I try to sell this thing? I guess I'm putting way too much thought into this because this is the first time I'm really doing the whole stereo at once, and this is the nicest car I've had.

If you won't use it, don't worry about it. The way most adapters work today, you can add on an interface for the steering wheel controls at any time. If you or a future buyer want it the wheel controls, nothing you do today (short of cutting wires like a caveman) will preclude that in the future. Worst case you need a new adapter harness and a steering wheel adapter kit.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

The cost for the "$1,000" unit isn't the cost of the GPS, it's going to be more the cost of the screen.

Nah, it's the GPS. Those three magic letters tack hundreds of dollars onto anything else. Look at (for example) Pioneer's line—they share a screen and audio board across the line. Add nav, add $400. Back when they still offered accessory nav, the add-on unit ran $500–$600.

It's not quite as insulting as what the car manufacturers are charging, but it's still ridiculous. Especially given the steaming pile of poo poo you're getting for the money.

Dustoph posted:

I'm looking for something that works well with the iphone 5, and only have 1 cable for audio and video, if that exists yet. I'm also looking to be able to use the phones GPS with google or apple maps, and not have to pay a subscription to Garmin, or pay $1,000 for a deck with built in GPS.

It does not exist yet. Alpine's just announced it's got a couple CarPlay products in the wings, so maybe hold out hope for that.

Pioneer's response to Lightning has been to bring out head unit after head unit that relies on the ever-longer-discontinued analog output. You can listen to music on Pioneer units without festooning your vehicle with home theater cables and adapters, but that's about it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Outside of 2DIN touchscreen stereos, yes, pretty much everything is made for 12-year-old boys from the 90s.

If you can fit a 2DIN touchscreen—and it looks like VW may have offered a spectacularly button-laden 2DIN factory unit—there are a wide variety of options there.

If not, you can usually find a few understated DIN units if you dig around. Availability varies so much by country that it's hard to make a recommendation. Alpine would probably be your best bet as they lean on the whole toward minimal and quiet.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KoB posted:

Every single speaker says that I'll need to "fabricate a speaker mounting bracket or spacer."

Does that mean there probably just arent speakers for my car anymore?

No, it means Isuzu used either a bizarro-size speaker or a bizarro mounting pattern and you're going to have to adapt for that when buying standard speakers.

It's not uncommon. Vehicle manufacturers don't give half a crap about aftermarket fitment because, hey, it's aftermarket. They just want to plug a speaker-like object into a speaker-like hole in a panel—given the choice between re-engineering a panel to follow standards and ordering up parts engineered to fit their weird spaces, the automakers will always, always, always choose the latter. It's zero-effort.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 12, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Crutchfield has a Canadian arm if service, simplicity, and warranty win out over the absolute lowest price.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

intheflesh posted:

The majority of the Infinity range comes in 2 ohm impedance. I like super crisp highs so I love them, but I know some people are more sensitive to 'shrill' highs and don't like them as much so make sure you spend some time in a Best Buy or whatever actually listening to them before you commit.

And if you do like the way Infinity sounds, it's worth noting that Harman Audio has a killer outlet store on eBay that usually has a pretty decent selection of car speakers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

I also listen to SiriusXM occasionally but we all know that sounds like garbage no matter what the equipment.

Lies! No one has ever complained about the sound quality of SiriusXM! :v:

Seriously, though, I thought this would be the easy out when last I called to cancel. Nope. I got escalated to a retentions supervisor who wanted to troubleshoot my complaint ("We never get complains about sound quality!") and offered me their newest receiver and 6 months of half-price service even when I said it sounded like garbage in a friend's car too. Their churn rate must be horrible right now; I've never managed an offer that good before.

The Ferret King posted:

Does the speaker replacement seem like a good way to go, and would you recommend anything additional or different? I understand I'll be compromising on bass due to my desire to keep the existing sub.

Yep. A simple speaker replacement will almost always get you better sound. Even the "premium" factory packages are still optimized for things like cost and weight, and sound quality suffers as a result.

One thing I'd recommend: Go to a car audio store before buying. While the Infinity Primus speakers may be the easiest fit, Infinity has a very distinctive sound that not everyone's in love with. If you can, go spend 20 or 30 minutes in front of a display and see whether they start to grow on you or if they just make your ears bleed. (Alternately, buy someplace with a liberal return policy, like Crutchfield.)

The Ferret King posted:

Does that LC2i box do anything for the speakers off the stock amplifier that I would be interested in? Or is it purely for that subwoofer mod that I don't want to do?

Nope. Its main application is in adding a sub to a factory system—it creates a standard line-level output (which is the easiest thing to feed into a sub amp), and if the factory system reduces bass as the volume increases, it also adds bass back in (so there's bass for your sub to play).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 24, 2015

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Remove airbag, remove steering wheel, attach tablet to steering column. Bam, done!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Also for someone that doesn't care about sirus/xm, how viable is HD radio?

Viable in what way? HD Radio is literally just the same source audio compressed into a digital format and flung over the same airwaves.

If you live in a market with HD Radio, you'll get maybe-clearer-than-FM FM radio on stations that support it. That's about it. If you live in a ClearChannel market, you'll also gain a few extra ClearChannel-programmed "sub stations" for even more variety in lovely overplayed music (and at lower bitrates with lower audio quality to boot!).

As far as head unit features go, playing audio from your phone is way more useful than an HD Radio tuner.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

But that would leave me with absolutely 0 speakers other than the front.

...And?

The long-running advice in the car audio threads has been to neglect or skip rear speakers if something needs to be neglected or skipped because of the very real fact they're not adding much to the equation in most cars.

If you're sitting in the front, you're hearing the front speakers. You've got seats and door panels and carpets and consoles between you and the rears in most cars, so you're getting a minuscule amount of rear fill at best, and that fill is heavily muted and distorted by all that stuff.

You said you wanted to do stuff in stages, and "get the fronts working" is a perfectly reasonable stage to begin with. If you find you absolutely can't stand not having back speakers after driving it for a while, or you routinely drive around with people in the back, then add them later (and choose an amp that will support another two channels).

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Uthor posted:

Can I ask about Android Auto? How long does it take to get from getting in your car to music playing?

If you're lucky enough to have a car audio shop nearby, swing in and test out your contenders. Like the other guys have said, it's usually around 10-15 seconds from key on to Android Auto these days, but some head units have a longer lag for bootup (and especially for cold boot).

Uthor posted:

Does USB-C present a problem?

Only if you're vehemently opposed to owning a cable that's USB-A at one end and USB-C at the other. :v:

Larrymer posted:

My car has android auto and I'm looking to find a dock for it that I can just drop the phone in rather than hooking up the cable to the port and letting the phone flop around in the cup holder or whatever. It's a Galaxy S7 but does anybody know of some sort of universal dock/holder with the micro USB built into the dock?

If VW doesn't have something you like in their accessories catalog, try ProClip USA. I will warn you now they're rather ugly when your phone is not in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, Crutchfield's free tier may require extensive disassembly/rewiring if you have premium audio or a special snowflake vehicle. If you want or need major CAN bus black magic (or, God help you, vehicle controls) in your adapter or trim, they just knock ~50% off regular prices. (Which is often still better pricing and better quality than you'll do elsewhere, but is obviously not free.)