Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I rented a VW Atlas for a trip last week, and the wireless Android Auto is a gamechanger for me. I would love to get my phone out of my cupholder for directions, and the Waze map on my main screen with Spotify chugging alongside.

I have a 2019 Camry hybrid SE. Despite the promises of the salesman (lol) they have not added any form of Android Auto integration to my car's infotainment system via updates. I am no stranger to installing car stereos, and I was a Pioneer-only guy for the last 2 decades. I don't feel like spending $1300 for what's available at Crutchfield, so I figured I'd ask the Goons what they see. Is a CHIMICHURRI brand or whatever just fine nowadays? Is there a better option for using my car's display but running something else in the background?

Thanks for y'alls time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just put a Pioneer W4500NEX in my brz, with a backup camera, and the $200 thing that links it with the OBD/CANbus on the car, and I spent $800. I looked at the lovely chinese tablets that are pretty popular but I didn't want to have to screw around with trying to make something work when I could spend a little more money for something that's literally designed for what I wanted. I have no regrets on any of it, and the wireless android auto is fantastic. I bought everything through crutchfield, but you're going to have a tough time finding head units right now depending on what exactly you want and your budget.

It's more a case of it not being quite worth that much money because I don't need a fabulous head unit, the factory stereo works pretty well for me overall. Thanks for the input, looks like I'm just going to wait for a while until things shake out in the market.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
On a car that old, the stock speakers are probably mostly held together with spiderwebs and dreams. Changing the speakers out is a cheap and effective way to improve your sound, but you should also be running an aftermarket head unit. Are you using the factory unit, and do you have any experience installing this stuff on your own?

FWIW, even "cheap" Pioneer speakers will be a big improvement over what you're listening to now. For bass you're probably going to need a subwoofer, and I've heard good things about the little bazooka tubes that you can install under seats or in the trunk with a small footprint. $200 is pretty tight to work with, but if you're willing to forego bass until you can scrape together some more money, you could probably get a bluetooth/USB-based head unit from Pioneer, wiring harnesses, and some speakers. The bass will be much better than what you have now, FWIW.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 28, 2021

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

unbuttonedclone posted:

How much would a Bluetooth receiver that could power them decently cost?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130MS322BT/Pioneer-MVH-S322BT.html
Something like this will work just fine.

Those speakers you listed are more expensive than you really need to spend: you're putting a big muffler on a small engine here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are head units designed to look like '90s tech but with modern stuff like bluetooth connectivity a thing? I know there are head units made to look like they were made in the '60s but I haven't seen anything like that for '90s stuff. I've currently got a double-din unit with AM/FM, cassette, and CD, but the cassette buzzes horribly so the adapter isn't helping.

I almost forgot, when I am using the tape adapter, but not with the radio, I hear a whine that varies in pitch with the RPM of the engine. Low RPM, lower whine, high RPM higher whine. Has anyone ever heard of that? I assume it has to be some sort of interference between the radio and some part of the engine's electrical system?

Pioneer still makes low-end headunits that haven't changed much over the past 20 years. It sounds perfect for you.

That whine is due to bad grounds, getting rid of the tape adapter will help immensely.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
If you're happy to just get your directions through the audio (via Bluetooth) then this is much less complicated. If you want Android auto to display your phone map (Waze, etc), you will need to run the USB port.

Must people are fine with hearing the directions spoken and using their phone display for the map. It's what I do with my stock 2019 Camry.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Those boots are drat near impossible to add anything to, it is probably easier to run it along-side that boot with a couple zip ties holding it in place, then snake it through another opening. You might need to trim the plastic a little bit, but it's the gate so it shouldn't be noticeable.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bank posted:

I agree, but in this case I can probably feed the wires without the RCA connector. There's enough fill space to do it, and the boot isn't super hard to fish through. The connector is the only thing that makes it impossible.

Can you pull the OEM wires back into the car, run the RCAs, then pull the OEMs back alongside the RCA cable?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

two_beer_bishes posted:

it felt like they took up more space in the dash, probably because the connections weren't in a straight line anymore, but they'll still be my go-to from here on out.

A good trick is to stagger your connections so they don't become a big goose egg at one spot.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Self-tapping machine screws are great for creating your own ground :eng101:

Just make sure there's nothing behind the panel before you put it in.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Also, this really cheap headunit is ... shockingly good. The only points I'd really put against it are the RCA ports (only has L+R / two ports) and it does have a pretty cheap feel to it, but it sounds fine, it supports Carplay well, the UI is reasonably clear and easy to work with, installing it was just like any other headunit I've ever installed.
My buddy just bought a 2010 Tundra and wants to replace the radio with something that supports Carplay and a backup camera. I sent this along to him, but do you have any recommendations on a camera or other thoughts?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the information! This is much cheaper than some head units he was looking at, and he can use all the extra $$$ he can keep in his pocket.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Are you using an in-line ammeter between the positive post and the cable? You cannot crank during this as it will probably nuke your fuse

800mA is a lot of draw with the key off. Start pulling fuses one by one until you notice which circuit has the largest draw. Figure out what is on that circuit by unplugging things one at a time.

Older cars see about 50mA with key off, and last I checked (2000s) over 250mA is too much for a battery to last. Your battery may not be ideal, but it's unlikely that it is causing this problem, as it started after you hosed with the wiring.

Edit: and make sure you turn off the interior lights first. Might need to hold the door switch closed, or ground it if it's easy enough to pull out.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 21, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This was my job like 20 years ago, so I'm a bit rusty but you're on the right track. Take a breather and tackle it with a fresh head. Bring a toy and "rubber ducky" the problem. Explaining it out loud can help you think through the problem rationally.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That's one scenario where buying a new car makes so much more sense. Nearly every single Toyota has those as standard features, and they actually work pretty well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

codo27 posted:

I'm picking up a 2011 CRV today and it looks like it may not have bluetooth (EX model). I shied away from loving with my '15 Civic because I didn't want to lose use of my side view camera and such, but that isn't going to be an issue this time. I'd like to pop something in the dash that has wireless android auto, dont want to be loving around plugging in my phone every time. Anyone have suggestions on a decent in dash unit? Quickly looking at Crutchfield (CA) looks like it ranges from about $350 up to astronomical prices. Want to keep it on the lower end as while I'm very serious about audio, its just a cheap car.

My buddy suggested this one, but we don't have first-hand experience with the actual unit. I think he has an earlier model, but he's been very pleased with it in his RAV4.

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Receiv...deae8f9840&th=1

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

That's literally the model I have. Works as advertised with a few tiny quirks but they aren't deal breakers or anything.

Well worth it for how cheap it was.

That's awesome to hear! I want to upgrade my 2019 Camry's stereo, but I'm afraid I might loose something important. Can I still adjust my clock in my instrument cluster if I remove the factory head unit? :ohdear:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Bump because it just went on a lightning deal for $175. I'm going to take the plunge.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good advice, thanks.

It's odd that you can't control the navigation audio separately. I've had plenty of rental cars that do that properly, hopefully it's just a firmware update thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Here's an old memory: I built a ridiculous box for my 1990 Cutlass Supreme (the w-body, Lumina clone). My brother and I called MTX and spoke with an engineer there who asked what we were doing, what components, type of music, etc. He then faxed us (lol) some build sheets and we went to work making a ported box with 2x10" subs.

That box sounded so loving good and punchy, and it took up a third of my fairly large trunk. To be 17 again :unsmith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was given a free pair (probably stolen, thinking back) of subwoofers from a buddy I worked at the car was with. He told me they were 12s, but they were actually 15s when I measured. I built a box and put them in my 92 Supra turbo. It was way too much bass, but it was perfect for that highway monster.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/BuzSky1.jpeg

Nowadays I roll with a couple of amps, two 12" subs, and NOS.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Speaker wire is usually pretty forgiving as long as you have a good connection, but thicker is always going to be better (giggity). Either 18 or 16 gauge should be more than enough.

I got my stereo installed, but there are issues as always. I need to get my backup camera working (or buy theirs which can do live view while driving), get my steering wheel controls working, and get the correct dongle to use the factory USB port.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Listen to Darchangel. I have used that last crimper for all my jobs for the past 20+ years, and it's still going strong. I also like using auto-strippers to strip wires, and have had the same set for as long as my crimper.

I don't have the Irwin one, but mine is basically identical:
https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-VISE-G...ps%2C114&sr=8-7

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Speaking of which, I'm still struggling to figure out how to get my USB port on my 2019 Camry hooked up to my Atoto head unit. It seems to be an unique one, with the AUX jack combined into the same enclosure. I don't care about the AUX jack, but I would love to have the ability to charge my phone faster (the stock one sucks).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Mine is different than that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Here's a picture of my connector. There is an audio jack on one side and the USB on the other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The other side (the two wire connector should be ignored, it goes to the cigarette lighter).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

That bottom part looks a lot like a USB port... so much so I'd just try plugging a USB plug to see if it just fits.

If it works, and the direction you need, Then you could make a custom housing by Dremeling off the cars built in plug on the white piece.

I don't have the time I need to gently caress around with this... Just give me the Metra link I need tyvm

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I mounted my backup camera today, right in the factory location! Too bad the angle sucks and I need to figure something else out :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Here's how I had it mounted originally in the stock location, it looked so good!

But I had to use the license plate bracket so I can actually see something.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have 2 children under 5, so maybe I'll take another crack at it later. I really want to get my steering wheel controls working, and I'm hoping I didn't misunderstand the packaging and need to order an additional box to talk to the head unit (Atoto F7, 2019 Camry).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I went to Crutchfield and they said there was nothing available, that they don't recommend replacing your radio. You might just be boned, unless you want to take a chance on one of those you posted.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
800 is a lot to throw on something like this, but if it keeps you in the car for a few years longer than it probably is worth it for the enjoyment. A new car would be a lot more.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

everdave posted:

Hey man I’m finding that exact unit for under $500 on Ali…quite a savings. If you have a good credit card you’d be protected if it was DOA

US $421.20 40% Off | Android GPS Navigation for Honda acura RDX 2013 2014 2015 2016 carplay 128G Car radio stereo Receiver Dvd player 2 din
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOyvBH0

I loving love this community.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
So my Atoto F7 XE has been rebooting/freezing at times since I bought it, seemingly more frequently lately. I bought the same radio for my buddy and his has been flawless, so I figured it was time to do a firmware update.

Something hosed up and my stereo is bricked. I'm very pissed, because I can get no help until after Chinese New Year.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I fixed my head unit with some help with the guys in the atoto Reddit. Listening to the radio from your phone in the cupholder loving sucks, I'm glad I don't have to do that for 5+ hours tomorrow.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This is like the easiest thing to diagnose. Double up on your left channel and run that signal to the right speaker wires. If it fixes it, then your wiring is good. Re-do the splice to the right channel signal, if it goes out again then either you can't splice wires or the deck is bad.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

The OP is eleven years old, so forgive me if I’m in the wrong place. But I need a sanity check.

I’ve always used Crutchfield and installed poo poo myself. I’m looking at the rear side panels for a 2013 Spark, which are listed as 6x4s. But the factory speakers are apparently a weird size, so YouTube installs say you have to leave one or two screws out.

Crutchfield insists they will not fit, and I have to do a fabricated bracket for a 4x4 for the side panels. Which means if I ordered 6x4s from them, they don’t throw in the install goodies.

Who is right? Crutchfield, or everywhere else?
Crutchfield is usually correct. They really seem to know their poo poo, and if you can find a car-specific article it usually explains what/why fits. Here's the one I used for my Camry, and it was spot-on:

https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/2018-up-toyota-camry.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I hope someone can recommend something better than the Atoto F7. It fits those criteria but I'm so over the constant crashing.