Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
As someone outside of IT, are the majority of these certifications multiple-choice exams? Do you get your results immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone have some insight or advice on getting started in Project Management, and the PMP cert? I'm a registered nurse, currently in a EMR support position but I'm intrigued about project management and the PMP certification.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mad Wack posted:

Great PMP stuff...

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Whats your background before you started in Project Management?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How difficult is the Security+ exam for those with non-technical jobs? I have a family member that has been offered a contracting job working with the Air Force, and they need to pass the Security+ exam within 1 year of being hired. My family member is not technical at all, outside of standard Windows workflows and specialized applications used in the Air Force.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's well within the 'read a book, pass a test' territory. Just make sure to actually read the book.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also memorize the top 10-15 or so most common ports, and learn all their names for Phishing. I felt like it was mostly common sense.

Thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm an RN in a EHR (Epic) analyst position. I want to get more on the data/tech side of the house. I have experience with querying the EDW, python+pandas, data viz etc... and am currently learning about virtualization and containers.

Are there any certifications I can work on over the next year that will make me more marketable for BI/ETL/EDW Developer positions? I've really enjoyed my exposure to this work and I think I need more tech-centric certs on my resume to balance out my clinical expertise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could someone recommend me certifications/pathways to get to the data ETL side of the house?

I currently write user-facing reports for a healthcare system and have built a few Tableau/PowerBI dashboards but I'd like to move deeper in to ETL / Data Engineering side of things. Not sure where to start self-studying.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NPR Journalizard posted:

I'm going through this journey, and the MS cert are a good place to start imo. Even if you don't do the exam, the online learning is pretty slick and useful. I did da-100 and found it very useful for the Power bi side. I'm working on da-203 and also learning python.

I would recommend getting into SSAS by just doing it. If you have made your own data model, recreate it in SSAS/visual studio/ssdt. Power query is the same across all three platforms now, which helps a lot, once you work out how to actually get into it in visual studio. There are some platform specific differences, like you cant do many to many relationships in VS iirc.

On my list of things to do is get an SSIS pipeline up and running, because the end point I mainly work with is a hacked up version of odata, but without some of the useful features, like proper paging of results.

My problem is that I'm self learning all this stuff and it's just me, and I'm at the point where I need someone who knows more than me to let me know whether or not I'm doing stuff correctly, or how I can improve it.

Always happy to chat about this though, so pm me if you want to.

Thanks for the info. What did you think of the DA-100 exam?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

LochNessMonster posted:

Keep in mind that job listings are a companies wish list. Some ask for 10 years of experience with software that's 5 years old. For an entry level network engineer they can ask a bachelor and 5 years experience, but everyone who has 5 years of experience will go for medior/senior jobs. Everyone has to start somewhere, so if you have a CCNA, try applying for those jobs. In the meanwhile keep working on other stuff to broaden your skillset.

This is what I tell people that are trying to land jobs in my current field, and what I'm telling myself as I try to land my first cloud job.

Has anyone used the Pearson VUE online proctoring for a certification? If so, how was your experience with it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

bus hustler posted:

ignoring coming out with A Certification at the end of it, as that's not the primary goal, my company is bringing in powerBI

nobody in the company knows how to use powerbi & i see a wide open opportunity.

What's the best way to become an absolute loving expert in PowerBI - not just learning it for my own workflow? I sense this is going to be extremely, extremely valuable to the org pretty soon.

Watch enough YouTube tutorials to grasp the basics, then start working business problems using that knowledge and build from there. That's how I taught myself to be halfway competent in a variety of tools.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Iron Rose posted:

Passed my GCP Professional Cloud Network Engineer certification today! Definitely overstudied, the exam was a breeze and I literally finished in 10 minutes.

Congrats!

I'm going to try and sit for the Azure Data Fundamentals in the next few days.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Passed the Microsoft DP-900 Azure Data Fundamentals this morning. :woop:

*I used the Pearson VUE online proctoring without a hitch.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vorenus posted:

I've been accepted into PerScholas' AWS ReStart program! It's 15 weeks full-time and covers everything needed to get the AWS Cloud Practitioner cert. I had started on the same course as self-study around the time I came across the PerScholas offer, and honestly found it to be a bit jarring in presentation. It kind of seemed like they were jumping all over the place. So, on the one hand, I'm excited because it's a free cert program and they partner with companies to try to provide job placement for graduates. On the other, the research I should have done before applying brings up a lot of people saying that AWS Cloud Practitioner on it's own is about as useful as a fishing pole in a desert, and suggesting that it really shouldn't take 15 weeks for the information covered.

I'm incredibly nervous because this program is 9-4 M-F. Accounting for study time outside of that, I'm going to be relying on savings which can get me through the program but not much further.

In this scenario, I'd be grateful for your opinions on whether this program/cert is worth the time investment or if I would be better off using that time focusing on different training.

Also, skipdogg recommended SIEM, if I'm going to go that route would something like this be a good start?

There are more qualified people to speak to it but I'll say that is insane for the entry-level certification. A Cloud Guru has a class covering the certification: it's a 10 hour class with labs, and you can get a monthly membership for $40.

https://acloudguru.com/course/aws-certified-cloud-practitioner

I don't have any affiliation with ACG, you can pick any of the other major educators and they'll have similar deals. Don't eat in to your savings for that certification.

*Hell, here is a free course on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hLmDS179YE

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 12, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Vorenus posted:

Apologies if I'm making GBS threads up the thread, but I messaged the director of admissions seeking clarification on the course and whether there was something I was missing that would justify the 15-week length:

The bolded part might actually be valuable for reducing culture shock coming from a hospitality background. For the hands-on, I'm not sure that provides anything that Cantrell doesn't, and I don't know whether a potential employer would consider that as relevant experience. As far as I can tell, it comes down to getting a headstart with Solutions Architect (which Cantrell also covers Cloud Pract in) versus hoping PerScholas' corporate connections land me a job if I follow through with the program.

What certs would you all focus to get in entry-level? I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting Security+ and Network+ in addition to platform-specific certs, but then again I'm seeing a lot of postings wanting a Bachelors' and 5 years experience to get a helpdesk job so it's difficult to put into perspective.

My final two cents would be don't go in to a hole for 15-weeks on an entry level certification. If the course is completely free and you don't have to stop working, or eat in your savings, then go for it. If that isn't the case, I'd take advantage of the enormous amount of free content on the web for the AWS Cloud Practioner cert.

Congrats!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just passed the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner exam.

I prepared off and on over the past few days. My method was to put a few practice test banks in to Anki flashcards, and run through those. Any question/answers that didn't stick I would go look up on AWS.

Next step is to actually start building stuff and adjusting my resume.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FCKGW posted:

Microsoft Ignite is coming up soon so be on the lookout for free Azure cert vouchers in the next few weeks. I got both my AZ-900 and AZ-103 this way. Will do another one this year as well.

I passed my AWS Cloud Practitioner a few weeks ago, and just noticed I received a "50% next AWS" coupon on my Certification dashboard. It might be worth checking to see if you have one, if anyone has taken at least one cert and wants to take another.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone recently passed the Security+ cert? In general, how difficult would an average IT person with no security-specific knowledge find it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Looks like it's $600. I'm definitely not gonna let it expire. I was just wondering the immediate value of having Associate of ISC2 on a resume vs something else. I actually also already have the AWS CCP. I was looking at Solutions Architect or SysOps Admin.

:hfive:

Hey CCP buddy. I picked up the CCP a few weeks ago after a few days of straight memorizing terms.

I'm now studying for the AWS SysOps Administrator and its definitely a different beast. I picked a video course for $40 over at learn.cantrill.io and can recommend it so far. Its roughly 55 hours of video I believe. Little to no fluff, lots of demos and illustrations.

Also, the SysOps is the only one of the 3 associate-level certifications that has a lab component to the exam.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jimbot posted:

Anyone who has the AWS Practitioner cert have any good resources for learning, specifically a resource with a ton of hands-on labs? I'd like to get the Practitioner certificate and try to get an entry-level job working with it (and probably from there work on getting other cloud certs because it seems like that's what companies want). Anyway, I got a course on udemy for super cheap but it's the most dry and boring thing that I really struggle to get through. I'm just bombarded with concepts that I don't retain because it's not engaging. I don't know if I have ADHD or what but I know I learn better from doing than being told something. I know there's a ton of free resources out there but if anyone can recommend something I'd super appreciate it!

For the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner cert, there isn't that much hands-on stuff to know. I believe non-technical people such as sales staff get this cert. Its mostly about being familiar with the services AWS offers, which unfortunately came down to lots of memorization for me.

My advice would be to buy a bundle of practice tests and run through those, reading the answer explanations, until you become familiar with what AWS offers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A requirement for a DoD job I'm interested in requires one of the below certifications. Anyone have experience or advice on what might be "easiest" to earn in the list, and which might be considered the most valuable in today's environments? My initial thought is to go for the Security+ just because I've heard the most about it.

My background is data analytics and I currently have entry-level Azure and AWS certifications.

code:
CCNA Security
CySA+ **
GICSP
GSEC
Security+ CE
CND
SSCP
*To be more specific, it requires at least a IAT/M Level II certification

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

Security+ is safe to say the easiest. It's also the one that 99.9% of people that work for the DoD that requires level II has/uses and the one anyone ever actually talks about. Plus it's super easy (a four hour training class) and fairly cheap to renew.

Great. What's the name or platform of that 4-hour training class?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

Sorry, should have clarified. Renewing is a 4 hour long training class called CompTIA CertMaster CE, which needs to be done every three years.

I'd wager around 40-60 hours of studying to prepare for the certification, depending on how much experience with IT topics you have.

Not really, but a lot of it hasn't changed much. MCSA is no longer a thing anymore as Microsoft switched to role-based certifications, but things like CCNA being the go-to for networking still holds true. Just post questions.

Hah that's more inline with what I was anticipating. I got excited for a second and thought I was grossly overestimating the time I needed to study.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hotel Kpro posted:

If you have the aptitude for it, you'll pass the first time most likely. I had two coworkers with backgrounds in IT study for a week or so and pass. But then I heard of another guy who was here for months and failed like 6 times before he was let go. Not really the norm though

xThrasheRx posted:

I have taken it, it was 3 years now though but it was the SYO-501. It was a bit harder than I expected, but I undershot hard on the studying, I read through CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead by Darril Gibson once. Then I did some free practice tests. I should have probably bought some on udemy tbh.

I had some experience in the it-sec field though, and a degree.

Thanks. I'm coming in cold with security stuff but I'd like to think I have general aptitude for the stuff. I'll probably start hitting the books this weekend.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to study for this Security+ certification, coming from a data analyst background.

Are there any exercises or labs that can help cement the crypto and CA stuff? Feels like I'm trying to straight memorize multiple chapters. If that is what's required than no worries but I have an old laptop with linux on it and I'd like to try some exercises if possible.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

Security+ is rote memorization of the book. You get a couple drag-the-box questions IIRC. You don't need to do any labs and there is no practical application on the test (I took 301)

Said f it and took the test this evening. Passed with a 780. I'll take it!

I'll say that the exam was tougher than I expected for someone with zero prior exposure to security poo poo.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone with thoughts on the CySA+ certification? I just passed my Security+ and I'm seeing the CySA+ checks some boxes for DOD gigs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sacrist65 posted:

Passed my AZ-104!

I thought it was going to be close, but I got an 880. I used Scott Duffys course on Udemy, and TutorialsDojo practice tests.

I'm not sure where to go now. I feel like maybe I should go learn a scripting language instead of going toward Az-500 right away. I still don't know if I want to end up in a Devops role or focus more on security but I figure learning python could help with both.

Congrats!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

Taking the Net+ this Tuesday. Its extremely weird how much erroneously labeled study material there is for the N007 on free test sites etc. Stuff asking about SQL stuff which is never mentioned on the actual official material.

Just got to memorize the non-WAN 802.X standards and transciever stuff and I think I will be ready.

You got this!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

Failed Net+ with a 548. Did Udemy test and watched professer Messer vids, plus took as many free Net+ prep things as I could find online. Any suggestions on stuff to study before I schedule retake? Preferably <$20

Depending on your learning style, my recommendation would be work thru as many practice questions as you can.

You can find a shitload of free resources if you know where to look. A site I heard about is: B hyphen OK dot CC

That's where people can get their manuals on linux ISOs.

Good luck!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I might try and sit for the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate cert this week. I'm pretty sure I'm not ready but I just want to take it and see where I'm at. Don't want to commit months of studying if not needed.

Has anyone recently passed it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

Got 614/700 on AZ-104 and failed :owned:

Mostly did youtube tutorials (like 12 hour ones), Microsoft Learn modules, and poking around in Azure for study. I felt wildly unprepared for most of the questions and like I was just guessing on many of them. An added bonus my ability to remember the questions for study later is about as good as my ability to absorb and retain the material.

I'll study harder and try again. This was on a free exam credit from MS Ignite which is why I was so willing to march over the cliff. Any idea on how big of a gulf 85 points is? Are we talking "dang that's close" or "bro you're hosed"?

You got this! My best advice for these types of exams is to do a shitload of practice questions, and read the rationals. That may help you get in the right mindset. Some creative google searches may turn up free resources for those practice questions.

I think gaining 9 percentage points is absolutely doable next time.

Bob Morales posted:

Surprised that's not a passing score, it's 87%. Does Ignite let you take it again free or?

I believe the scoring is out of 1000, and 700 to pass.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

suicide4sexbots posted:

I passed! It was easier than I expected... Security+ felt harder to me.

A couple of the performance questions were weird, notably one was an awkward "help desk" simulation that expected you to close out a ticket based on some pretty non-conclusive findings. Hot topics were: software development best practices, log analysis and incident response.

Congrats!

Coming from a data analyst background, I was sweating that Security+. I passed but not by much.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I passed the az-400 :toot:

Sweet! Any general thoughts on the exam?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there an Oracle DBA certification that is worth looking at, if I want to get my foot in the door in the DBA world? I see Oracle popping up quite a bit in govt job descriptions.

My limited experience has been in SQL Server.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

freezingprocess posted:

I passed my SY0-601 yesterday.
I have A+ and S+ now.
Onward to AWS.
:woop:

Congrats! I found the SY0-601 to be relatively difficult coming from a data background, and doing a crappy job of preparing.

KirbyKhan posted:

I just did a module in Amazon's Open World Role Playing AWS Pathway and it's a trip.
imgur gallery

Maybe that's how Amazon built New World. :smug:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A word of caution for anyone creating a cloud account (AWS/AZURE/GCP):

The first thing you should do is look at securing the root account, and how to configure a billing alert. There are too many horror stories of beginners (like myself) creating cloud resources and leaving them running for a month, and receiving a nasty bill. I have an alert that notifies me if my spending goes over $10 for the month.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just took the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate exam. Pretty confident I bombed it after little prep, mainly just wanted to see where I was at and I had a half-off coupon

What really sucks is they don't immediately tell you your results, and now I have to wait 24-hours to hear I failed. :smith:

I can't imagine the old days of submitting tests on paper and waiting weeks to hear back.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Much to my surprise, I passed the AWS Solutions Architect exam. :woop:

Now, to figure out next steps. Balancing out the resume with an Azure Administrator certification or committing to better understanding an AWS Specialty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SlowBloke posted:

I would suggest to committing to one cloud, intermediate/high level certs for a specific one will look nicer in your LinkedIn profile/resume than a base one for every cloud.

You're likely right. My IT career has always been "an inch deep and a mile wide" so maybe I should try something different and just commit to getting a deeper understanding of AWS services. I think I'll aim for the AWS Certified Data Analytics next. I've been contemplating AWS Database but I'm thinking there is a higher need for data analysts/engineers compared to DBAs. I could be wrong.

LochNessMonster posted:

Congratulations on the CSAA Hughmorris!

I got the 6 month before expiration reminder for it this week. Life got in the way of my study for the Certified Developer cert, so I'll be wrapping up that one next month and dive straight into the CSAP I guess.

:hfive:

Thanks!

What do you think of the AWS Developer stuff? I can only create ugly scripts, never had the chops to be a programmer. :smith: