Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Just took the security + exam after taking a week long class a month ago, signing up for the exam on the last day of class, and putting off studying until this morning with very little hope of passing. Walked away with an 858.

Thankfully I took an hour to go over the performance based questions on getahead, with four of the five questions being exactly the same. The fifth was asking about physical security devices and was piss easy.

Pretty sure I just got lucky and had the easiest combination on questions possible on the multiple choice as there were maybe three questions I didn't feel confident on and none were "I have no idea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

A more casual way to put it is that it would be silly for a switch to go all "hey whose Mac is this" to everybody only to wait for a response then say "oh OK well I have this for you* when it can just say " hey if this is you I have this for you" to everybody. You cut out two unneeded packets this way.

Does anybody have any ICND1 refresher recommendations? I've taken quite a few classes in the last two years that I feel like getting the books in the OP would be overkill but I don't feel confident enough to just blindly take the test without reviewing.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Gibson's 301 book + the practical questions on his site + studying the port chart religiously 24 hours before the exam is all you need. If you have a basic idea of computer concepts going in you can knock the cert out in two weeks.

Or just get the 401 book and give yourself a reason to procrastinate for another year+.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

/\/\/\
A good counter point. This was my original train of thought and now that I have the full study guide in my hands, I feel like this would indeed be the safer route. I guess I'm going to have to get through the first 14 chapters (ICND1 material) and see how I feel.

I bought the Lammle CCNA Complete Study Guide. It gives access to the Sybex test banks on their website. That's all well and good but there's a good 20-30 second delay between questions/flashcards. In the past (for A+/S+) the Sybex books came with a downloadable test bank that operated as fast as you could click and served me well. I see that the Odom book comes with a Pearson CD full of test bank questions. Is it worth it to pick up the second book? Anyone know if I can just order that CD without the book?

I get a lot out of reading chapters but in my experience with those earlier certs, the test banks were very helpful to me. This kind of delay on the browser based test banks is murder when I'm trying to answer a few hundred questions in a session.

A warning regarding that test bank; the exams on the website are exactly the same as the the end of chapter reviews, including errors. That only leaves one 50 question bank on the website that pulls from ICND1 and the flashcards.

I purchased both books and I highly recommend it. The bonus web material for Odom is well worth the $17.99 for the Kindle version on Amazon, even if you don't read the book itself.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Well I've been reading a chapter and then doing it's written labs and Sybex online test for said chapter. So far about a solid quarter of them have been poo poo like this:

As best as I can tell it is mismatching the written question with the graphic and it often results in just complete nonsense. I ordered the Odom study guide in the hopes that the CD full of test questions it comes with will serve as a replacement for this crap. $YBEX!!! :bahgawd:

That's about right. The first 7 or so chapters all have issues like that. I recall one chapter having at least 6 out of the 20 questions being completely unanswerable. If you do the actual end of chapter reviews in the book the graphic is correct (that question being Chapter 2 Question 1).

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

It's all pretty straightforward. Just google "S+ performance based questions" and a bunch of actual ones will come up. This guy was has the most I found listed on his blog and on his youtube videos. If you research the performance based questions specifically there shouldn't be any mystery/surprise.

http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/security-and-performance-based-questions/

This is the page I viewed hours before my test and three of the four performance based questions I had were answered on there. The fourth was just identifying what type of devices/rooms use cable locks, passwords, man traps, HVACs, ect. All common sense type stuff. I did take the 301 version but a lot of people in my shop had the same questions on 401. Granted only one has passed in the last five months and is the only non-signal person (a mechanic)...

Wouldn't hurt to look over http://blogs.getcertifiedgetahead.com/linux-permissions-and-security/ as well. Everybody has been complaining about Linux questions.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

I will just use the book ones for now. I reported each question I've encountered and sent screenshots through their tech support chat. I doubt it'll accomplish anything but you never know. Was this the only resource you used to study or were there others?

The first time I took it my only resources was a class on Udemy and limited prior experience which wasn't enough to pass. The second time I used Lammle and Odom and had a better idea of how the questions would be asked and the level of detail. If anything, I can tell you which RFC covers private IP addressing now.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2017

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BrainMeats posted:

Sounds good I'll grab the next book and get to studying. I used the Mike Meyers All-In-One exam guides for A+ and Network+. Seemed to do a good job separating out how things work in the real world and how things work on a CompTIA cert exam. Though for Security+ there is a Mike Meyers text and a All-In-One text and they are not the same.

This was mentioned in the network text and I believe I literally laughed out loud.

The OP recommends Darril Gibson and I couldn't agree more.
I'm currently on a deployment in a field that DoD requires Sec+. The cert has been a constant thorn in leadership's side for the past year with only three people getting certified since last August. They finally agreed to let me take four guys out of work for a week to study, using nothing but the book, http://www.professormesser.com/sy0-401-course-notes/ and six hours a day for five days, and we now have four more people certified. In no way am I certified to teach; I took the test back in 2013 and haven't looked at the material since.

siggy2021 posted:

I've got the ICND1 scheduled for next week. I'm probably way over-prepared, I wanted to take it a few weeks ago but some major work projects got in the way.

I'm going to continue to lab a bunch of stuff in packet tracer to make sure I'm super familiar with it. Does anyone have any good flash card resources for some of the little bits of memorization you need like default administrative distances for each protocol and whatnot?

I thought ICND1 was more trivial memorization than a CompTIA test. Most of the questions that were related to commands were less "configure a device" and more "do you remember the proper syntax". Be familiar with the different outputs of show commands and definitely memorize your administration distances (and the letters that represent them). Unlike a CompTIA exam, you can not mark a question for review and go back to it later. Professormessor uploaded a 61 page course notes for ICND1 a few days ago for $20 on his website. I haven't purchased it yet but the few pages that it does allow you to preview seem spot on.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

When I did the CCNA Composite exam it was I think $199 for the individual exams or $299 for the composite. Might have changed since then.

Exam prices (at least Cisco and CompTIA) have gone up recently.

It is now $165 (up $15) each for 100-105 ICND1 and 200-105 ICND2.
$325 (up $30) for 200-125 CCNA.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I was pretty sure I was going to bomb and spent a lot of time writing notes on the whiteboard of topics I didn't know so I could review on the second attempt.

I know I aced the simulations so I guess the Cisco weighted scoring gods smiled upon me

Taking a couple weeks off before I start to tackle the CCNA Security which from what I hear is a real turd

This is my plan too. Finished the ICND2 about two weeks ago and jumped right onto CCNA security while R&S is still fresh in my mind. So far I'm finding the OCG to be complete garbage so I've been using a combination of Chris Bryant on Udemy, Darryl Gibson and Google searches.

No idea how I passed though. The score requires a 73% to pass but my highest percentage on the breakdown was in the 60s...

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

guppy posted:

I've been prepping for CCNP SWITCH, and I used Chris Bryant's book and Boson's practice exams, and my conclusion is the Bryant book is not nearly complete enough. This is a lot of material as it is and I'm feeling pretty intimidated. Any advice on alternative study materials, or general advice? I think I'm resigned to paying for more study materials, so if your advice costs money so be it.

I haven't taken the exam but I've seen it recommended to read the 3750x configuration guide (15.X) for any topics that you feel uncomfortable with.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Cisco made an exam for your current skill level called the Cisco Certified Technician, or CCT. It's not very well known and you'll never see it as a requirement for job postings but it'll count as an industry certification.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the command line side of things for ICND1, just be very familiar with the show commands and how to read the output.

Do look over the ICND1 exam topics. If you can't explain at least 80% of those topics in detail so that a computer illiterate person would understand, I wouldn't take the exam in two weeks.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Is security+ still a good cert for getting past screenings and stuff? The book link in the OP is dead. I finally graduate next Friday and picked up another MSP spot for now, but the pay is poo poo and I want to climb the ladder ASAP. CCNA is next, but I don't want to focus on just one thing either.

The book link is the older version of this book https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secu...&qid=1557884547 which is still all you need.

I only took the 301 and the 401 so I can't speak personally of the difficulty of 501 but I can say that a lot of people I know in the military who need the cert struggled with the 401 passed the 501. My 401 was a million times harder than the 301 so maybe they made it a little easier again?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

My ICND2 test last year and CCNP:Route last month totally definitely did but the new tests coming in February may not.

That's a pretty neat lab though. The instructor at my school (public state university) claimed to not want to teach proprietary technology but it was obvious he didn't know anything about networking. It's pretty bad getting a degree in computer networking and never once seeing a router or switch in person, let alone a single command or any L2 concepts. Had to memorize the formulas to encrypt and decrypt RSA though? Unfortunately it's a little late to look for a different program when your 3 years in and 30k in debt.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Just to clarify, there was never any use or mention of GNS3 or any virtualization software and a CLI interface was never shown. I learned more in a two week military class about networking than I did in all four years of that school. My CCNA came from having a bunch of free time on deployment to study years after I graduated.

My co-worker was in the same program and we joke about how bad it was all the time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Renegret posted:

woof

I was so proud of my CCNA for a while, until I had to train a new guy who had his CCNA but didn't know how to use putty to SSH into a switch, and got super confused when I started tabbing and ?ing my way through commands. With test dumps and straight memorization I can see how you can pull it off but the labs on the test must be terrifying. poo poo, I'm taking the NP Switch on Sunday and I'm super not ready. I'm almost done reading the Chris Bryant book, I went through the CBT Nuggets videos, I'm doing well on practice tests, but I haven't spent nearly enough time fooling around with a lab environment.

On the other hand, I guess with straight memorization you'll never feel the frustration of being asked a question that you don't know the answer to, but you know you can just slam ? and the CLI will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck. My goal was to sit for it today since I start my masters tomorrow but I've been too busy and fell behind the last month. Figure as long as my first attempt is by the end of October I should be in good shape since I already have Route.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Renegret posted:

Passed the NP switch, 300-115. What a dumb loving test. I have no idea how I passed, good thing the lab was a low ball I guess.

There were way too many questions that were ambiguous, or tested on bullshit minutiae that I have no idea how to even study for.

Good job.

Based off my Route attempts, I wouldn't be surprised if the sims are worth half the points.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Don't pay $1900 for the GSEC or $900 for CEH out of pocket. Let an employer cover anything above entry level. Same goes for the CCNP Route poster.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Renegret posted:

Passed the NP switch, 300-115. What a dumb loving test. I have no idea how I passed, good thing the lab was a low ball I guess.

There were way too many questions that were ambiguous, or tested on bullshit minutiae that I have no idea how to even study for.

735/790

Which is a better score than I expected to see after those questions. Sims were super easy but couldn't they have thrown in a confidence booster or two into the rest jeez.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Fhistleb posted:

Thanks man!

working as a contractor for the government requires I maintain the ceu's. Its a racket I tell ya, A RACKET!!! :shepspends:

If you have access to "Cyber Security Fundamentals Formerly known as (IAF)" it is worth 40 CE and takes ten minutes to knock out if you are a DoD employee.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

You should never feel bad about having your employer cover a $165 voucher and if that is enough to impact the budget in a company that is presumingly running Cisco equipment, you should go for the test and try to jump ship immediately.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Ah well poo poo there you go.

I was actually looking into WGU as well. Specifically for their networking degree. My thought was to load up on all of the certs that I could have work pay for ahead of time before enrolling, because if Im reading things right, they would transfer in as credits. Is that correct? Or like you dont need to take courses and can finish quicker if you already have a relevant cert?

Passing the actual certification exam is the requirement to pass some of the classes so if you have your cert already it counts as transfer credits. The program includes vouchers for taking the exams (i believe two free per class, and then like $50 for each after that) so if you can get most of your tuition covered it may be worth just starting now.

I'm trying to decide if I want to sit the CCNP: switch again before the deadline. I took three practice exams from different sources before my last attempt, getting over 80% first try on each but the actual exam's multiple choice are the most obscure and useless questions. Especially compared to the sims that any administrator who has ever configured a switch before should be able to answer.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Just passed ICND2, which is good because I am burnt the gently caress out on studying Cisco poo poo right now.

I'll be done studying Cisco poo poo by the 24th, with or without my CCNP. It opens too few extra doors at this point over other areas of focus to start over.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

You can also get access to a cloud based VIRL instance for free using Cisco's DevNet site. Way overkill for what you need right now but it's a good resource if you ever want to practice automation or advanced Cisco configurations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Any suggestions on actually taking the cert exam in the very near future?

CompTIA is allowing testing from home.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ClumsyThief posted:

I can't imagine sinking $1000+ in test fees and study materials and still not having a certification.

My $1500 invested into CCNP that I still don't have says Hi. And with the restructure, my $600 worth of completed exams is now only $400 worth.
(I did have two vouchers with $300 each, so only $900 out of pocket to date)

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How do you invest $1500 into a CCNP? Even between exam restructures? Did you just buy a bunch of hardware for the exam?

At 3 exams required (previously) and $300 a pop, that's only one fail before a pass on each exam.
I passed switch a week before the change so I went into tshoot with very little time to review.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

cosmin posted:

Man I just finished my AWS Solution Architect Associate exam 2020 and I have to vent off

Harder than I expected, never spent this much time in a certification exam (only 20 min left at the end)

Had an annoying proctor that told me she will revoke my exam for not keeping my eyes on the screen while doing mental math on the % of question flagged uhh

Much harder than I expected and than all the practice tests i’ve done at whizlabs and acloudguru, I think it’s the 2020 update as a lot of the answers felt written in jest at the quiz and training industry, with distractors that included the sure shot buzzwords mentioned in the trainings

All in all, harder than I thought but fair and enjoyable. It said I PASSED and i couldn’t believe my eyes, still refreshing my email to get that confirmation but i understand it could take a while.

Also - i only studied for the last 5 days but pretty hardcore, very little aws experience but i am a certified professional cloud architect for a competing vendor so that helped :)

I am eyeing an AWS Enterprise Architect position, hope this would help. I remember there were some aws TAMs on the forum, if you read this pls drop a PM as I’d like to ask some questions about the recruitment process

Anyway - my take is that the 2020 exam is harder than it seemed from the practice exams, i don’t think they had time to properly update them

Feels good that I actually got it and not squandered my own personal money for the exam, hope it will pay back in time

Congrats! I've been studying this exam pretty hard for the past few days as well. General consensus over on the aws subreddit is acloudguru and whizlabs practice exams have been lacking since the 2020 change and Jon Bonso's are the current gold standard. I don't know enough about them to know if that is true or just reddit being an echo chamber of advertisements though.
David Bombal just released a class on Udemy featuring Anthony Sequeira and Network Chuck as instructors and I'm not at all impressed, but I've never been impressed with ITPro.TV and the first half has been all just Sequeira. I switched to Stephane Maarek and he has been much better (and on sale right now for $10).

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

erenoyo posted:

I work at a veterinary hospital as an assistant and I have zero IT training, but I am a nerd and so know how to do basic computer stuff. I've made a few improvements/changes to the hospital's hardware and set up a couple new features for our software because most people that work here are computer-illiterate, and now my boss is asking if I would be interested in being the hospital's full-time IT guy. They would pay my way through an entry-level course for what would essentially be small business IT support, so troubleshooting network issues, being the point guy with our vendors for software/hardware upgrades, basic website management, etc. What course(s) should I be looking at? I apologize if this is a lovely/stupid question

There really isn't any general "small business IT" courses that I'm aware of (at least not on a certification level) and the generic CompTIAs really won't be that useful. I would probably recommend a office suite course since there's a lot of functions built in that you probably aren't aware of that would be useful for day to day operations.

With that said, I would highly recommend politely declining the offer, unless there is a substantial pay increase offer and even then. You don't want to be on the hook because "the internet is acting slow" and have no support to fall back on.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I've been looking on Pearson Vues website to see how many questions you need to get right to pass the Juniper JN0-103 exam but I can't find it. Does anyone know? Hopefully it's a lower percentage than what Cisco requires.

Took it very, very recently and it said 63%.

Exam was super easy though and the vouchers for juniper genius are now only worth 75% off, not the full 100%.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Oyster posted:

I get a free associates thanks to working in a hospital and my governor. Was looking at the local college's networking program and it ends with getting the CCNA, with the Net+ and A+ along the way. I have all three of those but no experience and having a really hard time getting out of the printer world. Would it be worth doing the work and getting the associates and maybe continuing through WGU, or would that be a waste of time and effort?

I was in the printer world at a hospital for over two years before landing an opening on our network team so I feel your pain.

I also really don't see the benefit of stopping the pursuit of your bachelors just to pick up an associates at a local college when I'm assuming none of that will transfer to WGU and when it comes to passing HR checkboxes, it's usually a bachelors.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Oyster posted:

I have been. Plenty of interviews but get hung up on having certs but not experience.

I'm on year 6, yeah. I did college for 7-ish years focusing on Japanese and Korean with no degree to show for it. The hope would be to get some experience, maybe learn some things (I passed the old CCNA), then I could finish at WGU or something. Mostly, it's free, I can't afford normal college at the moment, and I've struck out at enough interviews I'm feeling a booster would help. My understanding is that WGU only takes transfers, and hopefully what's covered for free could save a $6,000 6 months.

I misread and thought you meant you were currently enrolled at WGU. You don't have to be a transfer by the way, just need one valid certification from an approved list (which all three of those are). I'm still not sure how much value an associates would bring for an entry position when you already have that much experience and certifications.

If I had six years of experience in an enterprise IT environment but lack of the experience is what is holding me back, I personally would exaggerate what my current job responsibilities were.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Anybody got recommendations on exam prep for the AWS SAA-C02? I watched a video series on the SAA-C01 over the summer, but want to feel a little more prepared than I do now. Looks like this is about my only choice that's out now, but I thought I'd ask first. I think I'll give the Cloud Practicioner exam a go first too, as my employer should cover the costs for both.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for learning about learning K8s in general. Maybe more of a hands-on approach than "This is why containers are great".

Stephane Maarek's course on udemy is pretty highly regarded. It's $95 but nobody ever pays full price on udemy; looks like if you click the link from his website https://courses.datacumulus.com/, it comes with a promo code for $13. Don't know if that is for first time udemy subscribers or not. Or just wait a few days until udemy does another sale.

Skipping Cloud Practitioner and starting studying for SAA-C02 is typically recommended as their is a lot of overlap between the two. A pretty common path is to take the CP after studying for the arch associate just as a bench mark, and if you pass you get a voucher to take the SAA-C02 at a discounted rate. This method comes out to being $25 more expensive which I personally think is worth it if you are paying out of pocket. Depends on you if your employer is paying, and if they buy the voucher or just reimburse on pass.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Thanks! Those look like some good options for practice tests, and I'll probably spring for the C002 video course too. I definitely will take the Cloud Practicioner exam, that discount on the next exam is all the encouragement I need. My employer only pays for exams you pass, so I might as well be as sure as I can.

Forgot to mention Jon Bonso for practice exams, found at tutorialsdojo for $15 or $30 currently on udemy.

Longbike posted:

I wasn't tremendously impressed with the Acloudguru course- it got me where I needed to be but it feels like they don't have great coverage of newer topics in particular and I ended up doing a lot of independent study.

Acloudguru was pretty popular back when I first looked at AWS a year ago but the general opinion I came across was that their material wasn't updated very well for the new version, which sounds like the experience you had as well.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Do labs (packet tracer is plenty) while applying for any job you can. Familiarize yourself with the basics in case you do have a technical interview.

Most actual entry network jobs at a reasonable size company are going to have you be the newbie responsible for patching in cables, and if you're lucky, configuring the switchport vlan for the first few months.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I have my ENSLD exam in a few hours and I'll be happy to never touch a Cisco certification exam again, especially after doing a few Juniper ones where I felt I was actually tested on my knowledge of the content and not some random fact somebody pulled out of the deepest white page they could find.
At this point I'm just doing it out of sunk cost and time.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Contingency posted:

How is this exam and the material in general? My day to day is mostly firewalls, and I was looking at the replacement for CCDP to round out my skillset in general.

Overall I thought it was quite a bit easier than the old CCNP route & switch exams. CCNA level, even. I knew going into it that it was more theory based and most of the questions I got were pretty surface level. Even if I wasn't 100% sure I was able to eliminate half the answers that had nothing to do with the technology in question.

Like typical for Cisco, the questions that felt like questions you'd potentially be asked on an interview were so simple I was worried I was missing something, but it did have its share of questions that felt like they were plucked out of a random paragraph in the white papers. There was only one question I felt the wording was a little ambiguous.

I didn't use the OCG. It's pretty small and personally I find them too dry when I could just do my own research in Cisco's documentation.

Normally I dislike itpro.tv but I use it as a study material since it's free from my employer and I was impressed this time around. Sequeira is so much better when it's just him presenting. I also did a lot of design courses in Juniper Genius which shared a lot of overlapping theory. Can't stress enough this exam is not an implementation exam, I think I had all of two questions that asked which two commands would you use, and they were both pretty obvious without even knowing what the commands do.

Also, I really don't feel like the percentage breakdown reflected the number of questions I got. I felt like Multicast and SD-Access/WAN dominated the pool, but they are also some of my weaker subjects so maybe they just stood out more.

(When I say easy, I mean like... One of my drag and drop questions was asking if I knew how many hosts can be assigned to a /26, /28 and /29 address)

Cyks fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 3, 2020

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Contingency posted:

Thanks--I did a bunch of certification exams until about 2013, and the exams I've taken recently seem geared for braindumpers instead of demonstrated knowledge, like the "what is cloud?" foundational Azure exam was asking about availability zones in Asia or similar. Cisco's CyberOps exams were also out there, so I was getting discouraged. That's promising.

It sounds like it has some trivia, but a manageable amount. I had a lot going on last year and couldn't knock out ROUTE/SWITCH, so I've been considering a reverse approach--knock out a potentially easy exam like ENSLD or ENWLSD, and finish with ENCOR when there are better training materials out there. While a CCNP has definite value and worth having, regardless of what this exam tests, would you say that the source material for ENSLD is worth studying or otherwise useful? Random subnet questions wouldn't be, but general "this is how large enterprise networks are architected, and these are design considerations" would be.

That's a difficult one to answer. I hold a Security+ as a job requirement and I agree, the certification is a joke as far as demonstrating your understanding outside of regurgitating concepts you either braindumped or crammed before the exam. I felt that way about older Cisco certifications as well, although from what I hear the newer CCNA and ENCOR are much better.

With the exception of SD technologies, multicast, IS-IS and some of the VPN technologies, I have touched the topics covered on the exam in a production environment at some point. If we pretended those topics I just listed were worth zero points, I feel confident I could have passed the exam purely based off on the job experience, which suggests the exam was actually relevant to a production enterprise design and my personal experiences. While I knocked the subnetting question as being super easy, the truth is I've spent WAY more time at work dividing up a network like the question asked me to do when designing a new remote office deployment than I will do something like... think about the eight states of an OSPF adjacency formation (that I had to just google to count how many there were). There were some other good questions in there as well, like one asking where on the topology should you configure an OSPF stub area to reduce the routing table but also limit the number of ABRs in your environment. That's a good question that I would consider worth studying or otherwise useful. So for that I would say yes, mainly because the material and knowledge depth was mostly surface level that you'd actually touch and not much reliance on trivia that you would just google in the real world if you needed to know.

(side rant)However I am of the opinion that a certification should reflect what you know, and not something you just study for. I hate how a CCNA is listed as a requirement on applications for an entry level position of plugging cables into a switch, when it isn't. It's a level two certification that should be on the level of somebody with around two years of meaningful job experience. CCNP should be the end of the road for 99.9% of network engineers yet I constantly see positions above entry (and some entry!) listing it as a requirement. (/rant)

The difficult part I'm having with the response is that I don't really think the overall topic structure is what I would consider DESIGN. In my mind design should include more focus on business decisions and more familiarity with different products and how they integrate into your overall network. I guess my issue is what exactly should a specialist certification be - and in the case of ENSLD, I felt like the source material was good for administrators/engineers who work in a network shop where bringing up new IDFs or remote offices with connectivity back to a central branch is a big part of your job and is the reason I went with it over the other options.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The ENSARI is by far the most common and the one that has the most resources available. Go look up the CCNP subreddit and you'll see post after post of people passing whereas I think I saw all of two for ENSLD.

If you're trying to just get something quick just to pass HR filters, I would definitely consider one of the design paths (either wireless or enterprise). The only one of seen as being really difficult so far is ENAUTO as I've seen it called a programming certification and not networking.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

If that is an actual issue then the solution is to just list your certifications that are relevant for the position, especially so if they listed on the job posting.
Nobody is going to get fired for failing to disclose a certification during the hiring process. Although I seriously doubt that the fraction of people who will pass on somebody for being a "cert chaser" outweighs all the HR departments that will eat that poo poo up. Just don't list "Security+ 301, Security+ 401, Security+ 501" on your resume, because that will be laughed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Any feedback on taking courses from Cloud Guru/Linux Academy? Seems a but more robust than waiting for a Udemy course to go on sale for $20. I'm looking to get base certs in AWS. Azure, GCP and then see where I want to go from there.

Udemy is doing a veterans day Singles Day (lol) sale today. Going to recommend https://www.udemy.com/course/aws-certified-solutions-architect-associate-saa-c02/ once again for $11.
If you miss out today, they will 100% have another sale for the thanksgiving weekend.

...Apparently Singles Day is a real thing in China.