Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thom and the Heads posted:

know the different mobo form factors. you're probably going to have a sim where you have to build out a few different PCs (a "home theater pc", a gaming pc or a graphic design/cad machine) from a selection of parts. know your port numbers and cable connector types/functions.

i'd go through the objectives and just brush up on anything that looks unfamiliar
https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/exam-objectives/comptia-a-220-901-exam-objectives.pdf

I just took it two weeks ago and it's mostly a blur for me because it was all pretty dumb.

I guess try to remember which connector a token ring setup uses in case you get a question about that like I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Doc Fission posted:

I'm hoping to initiate a career change over the course of this year with little practical IT experience. Is there any value in checking out the Google IT courses on Coursera? Does it prepare one adequately for any actual certifications? Just wondering what resources I can exhaust online, am maybe asking dumb questions.

I just finished the Google courses yesterday, and yes, they do adequately prepare you for the A+, Net+, and Sec+, and more. I was extremely impressed by them.

The Sec+ has more buzzwords, but the Google courses were much more practical. The CCENT isn't much more than what's on the Google courses, it just adds some Cisco specific functions.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I just took it two weeks ago and it's mostly a blur for me because it was all pretty dumb.

I guess try to remember which connector a token ring setup uses in case you get a question about that like I did!

That's my main concern, the dumb stuff. I can probably do anything that is related to the objectives if you asked me to. I loving hate cert tests.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

siggy2021 posted:

That's my main concern, the dumb stuff. I can probably do anything that is related to the objectives if you asked me to. I loving hate cert tests.

For what it's worth the stuff you know and might reasonably maybe encounter in the real world will far, far outnumber the bullshit like token ring.

Actual, useful tip - I was surprised by a few port numbers questions - maybe double-check on the common ones (FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, etc). Like "which port would you use to securely transfer a document", things like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BNC or RJ-45 (for maximum confusion)
help me

For what it's worth the stuff you know and might reasonably maybe encounter in the real world will far, far outnumber the bullshit like token ring.

Actual, useful tip - I was surprised by a few port numbers questions - maybe double-check on the common ones (FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, etc). Like "which port would you use to securely transfer a document", things like that.

Answer: Who cares? Ask Google if the loving application doesn't do it automatically. Of what value is this knowledge? (yes, I know this is why we're laughing at A+ to start with. Just venting.)
edit: 22?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Darchangel posted:

BNC or RJ-45 (for maximum confusion)
help me

Answer: Who cares? Ask Google if the loving application doesn't do it automatically. Of what value is this knowledge? (yes, I know this is why we're laughing at A+ to start with. Just venting.)
edit: 22?

Yes, 22.

Real answer: Whatever port whoever set up the SFTP server set it to listen on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I was pretty shocked to discover that each of the two A+ exams were YOSPOS dollars. When I took them years ago it was reimbursed so I just didn’t noticed I guess?

I mean, $319 for a Net+ is bad, but 438 for an A-goddamn-+?!?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
A+ is the biggest scam and the whole industry has bought in on it for entry-level employees. My employer paid for me to take it so it's no skin off my back I guess.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A+ is the biggest scam and the whole industry has bought in on it for entry-level employees. My employer paid for me to take it so it's no skin off my back I guess.

CompTIA is the biggest scam in the industry.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

xThrasheRx posted:

Finally got my rear end in check and booked the Security+ exam for the 21st of January.

I have read the Darril Gibson study guide. And I score above 93%+ regularly on all the tests in the book. I also score 92%+ average on all the security+ tests on examcompass.com

Does anyone know any more free tests I can take? or should I be in the clear already?

I currently work with PKI so the entire crypto part is a breeze.

Still wondering about this! Any last help before I take the test? :)

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

xThrasheRx posted:

I’m cramming for the test too, although my exam compass scores are slightly lower!

I’ve been working on my port numbers a lot, I assume that’ll be important.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

CompTIA is the biggest scam in the industry.

Have you seen the price for Certified Ethical Hacker?

Last I saw it was nearing $1000 to sit it. It’s a worthless Sec+ type cert.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xThrasheRx posted:

I cant think of any other free practice tests out there but dont sweat it to much. I took it a few years back and its the standard CompTIA garbage. Memorize some hash and encryption types, know the difference between attack types and then just use common sense.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Passed the first half of the A+ today with a 862/900. Can confirm it was a real dumb test and it seems pointless. I only had one simulation, which was entirely unexpected, and it was the first question.

On to studying for the second half so I can get this piece of trash over with.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cant think of any other free practice tests out there but dont sweat it to much. I took it a few years back and its the standard CompTIA garbage. Memorize some hash and encryption types, know the difference between attack types and then just use common sense.

Are there typically any simulations, or is it really mostly just regurgitation?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Hey folks, would you consider it acceptable to still list expired certifications on a resume(with disclaimer)? My A+, Network+ and Security+ just ran out last year, so the only active cert I'll have on my resume is ICND1. I don't really feel like keeping those certs is much of a resume booster, but pointing out that I did pass the test and hold those certs in the past might be worth something?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How close to the real thing are the practise tests listed here? https://www.examcompass.com/

Is this what we can expect to see for CompTIA certs?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Eschatos posted:

Hey folks, would you consider it acceptable to still list expired certifications on a resume(with disclaimer)? My A+, Network+ and Security+ just ran out last year, so the only active cert I'll have on my resume is ICND1. I don't really feel like keeping those certs is much of a resume booster, but pointing out that I did pass the test and hold those certs in the past might be worth something?

I would suggest listing them with the date you earned them.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic
Just took the Security+ and passed with a 761, jeez talk about dodging a bullet... It was a lot harder than I expected. The practice tests in the book didnt really show the debth and variance of questions IMO. But I could have studied more as well.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

xThrasheRx posted:

Just took the Security+ and passed with a 761, jeez talk about dodging a bullet... It was a lot harder than I expected. The practice tests in the book didnt really show the debth and variance of questions IMO. But I could have studied more as well.

I will be taking mine soon. Did you watch any of Professor Messer’s stuff or were you all book?

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Bunk Rogers posted:

I will be taking mine soon. Did you watch any of Professor Messer’s stuff or were you all book?

I was all book and did some examcompass practice tests. The examcompass tests are not very helpful in learning how the questions are at all.

edit: Also should probably note that I have a Masters in information security and pretty good general computer knowledge. So I didnt just skim a book and think I should be able to make it. From what i'm told the earlier exams was easier and had a different direction.

xThrasheRx fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 25, 2019

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

xThrasheRx posted:

I was all book and did some examcompass practice tests. The examcompass tests are not very helpful in learning how the questions are at all.

edit: Also should probably note that I have a Masters in information security and pretty good general computer knowledge. So I didnt just skim a book and think I should be able to make it. From what i'm told the earlier exams was easier and had a different direction.

How many non-MC questions were there and were they difficult?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing my JNCIP-ENT this Friday. Would be nice if I passed it on the first try, since all of management has their eyes on me and after months of studying I could use a change of curriculum.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Nutanix NCSE-L1 is terrible. All sorts of questions about sizing based on Oracle and Splunk and various VDI vendor features, and a bunch of ethically dubious ones that made my skin crawl about convincing customers not to do POCs and just close the deal.

The remote proctoring system that they outsourced the heavy lifting to is abysmal. It took 25 minutes sitting on a "this may take up to 2 minutes" screen to get a proctor to show up and verify my ID, and all the while the live support chat in the locked down exam browser was like "just phone nutanix". Yeah, because I'm going to pick up my phone in a secure testing environment. That's how this works.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

Khagan posted:

How many non-MC questions were there and were they difficult?

About 8 I think? they were pretty weird. Like put the correct physical guards in the office/data center/LAB I honestly cant remember the details that good, was pretty stressed out that day.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ISC2 raised their annual fee for CISSP to $125. I mean, I'm going to expense it anyways, but they're fuckers.

quote:

New AMF of U.S. $125 – Effective July 1, 2019, your new AMF will be U.S. $125. Starting January 23, 2019, members have until June 30, 2019 to pay any outstanding AMFs and the option to pay ahead for the remainder of their three-year membership cycle at the current rate for their certification(s). For example, members with a CISSP who pay an outstanding AMF for last year also can pay their 2019 AMF at the rate of U.S. $85, if they pay by June 30, 2019. Members who are due for renewal (members in the final year of their three-year membership cycles) between January 23, 2019 and June 30, 2019 must pay any outstanding AMFs and their 2019 AMF at the current rate before June 30

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

There is a special layer in hell reserved for the person who put the exit survey before you see your results on CompTIA exams.

xThrasheRx posted:

About 8 I think? they were pretty weird. Like put the correct physical guards in the office/data center/LAB I honestly cant remember the details that good, was pretty stressed out that day.

I had 9, I think. I had that physical guard one, some logs-y ones, and a network configuration one. At least the S+ ones weren't glitchy as gently caress like the N+ ones were.

I got an 829 and am an idiot though so don't stress the non-MCs.

Edit: like the proctor was laughing at what a bumbling moron I am doing easy things like checking in, so don't worry about the exam

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 31, 2019

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's really annoying me how much of the tested material for 70-698 seems to cover loving workgroups.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

alarumklok posted:

There is a special layer in hell reserved for the person who put the exit survey before you see your results on CompTIA exams.

I had 9, I think. I had that physical guard one, some logs-y ones, and a network configuration one. At least the S+ ones weren't glitchy as gently caress like the N+ ones were.

I got an 829 and am an idiot though so don't stress the non-MCs.

Edit: like the proctor was laughing at what a bumbling moron I am doing easy things like checking in, so don't worry about the exam

I screwed up on a bit of easy things for sure, I didnt quite realize how odd the questions would be, but I still made it!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

It's really annoying me how much of the tested material for 70-698 seems to cover loving workgroups.

Honestly, there are a lot of companies out there that do not use domains, so it's important knowledge.

The job I just started has 200+ clients, out of which probably only 20-30 have/had actual on-prem domains, most didn't have a domain at all until they were pushed to AAD.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Doing my JNCIP-ENT this Friday. Would be nice if I passed it on the first try, since all of management has their eyes on me and after months of studying I could use a change of curriculum.

And I passed. Finally on to something new to study.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot and didn't read Microsoft documentation before asking about a cert

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Anyone have experience with the exam cram quiz book and Professor Messer's quiz PDF? I've been studying using his videos, his notes, and every quiz I can find. I'm looking through these quizzes and I feel like I get about 85% of them right (without actually counting) I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get the test over with.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been prepping for CCNP SWITCH, and I used Chris Bryant's book and Boson's practice exams, and my conclusion is the Bryant book is not nearly complete enough. This is a lot of material as it is and I'm feeling pretty intimidated. Any advice on alternative study materials, or general advice? I think I'm resigned to paying for more study materials, so if your advice costs money so be it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

guppy posted:

I've been prepping for CCNP SWITCH, and I used Chris Bryant's book and Boson's practice exams, and my conclusion is the Bryant book is not nearly complete enough. This is a lot of material as it is and I'm feeling pretty intimidated. Any advice on alternative study materials, or general advice? I think I'm resigned to paying for more study materials, so if your advice costs money so be it.

I haven't taken the exam but I've seen it recommended to read the 3750x configuration guide (15.X) for any topics that you feel uncomfortable with.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone have experience with the exam cram quiz book and Professor Messer's quiz PDF? I've been studying using his videos, his notes, and every quiz I can find. I'm looking through these quizzes and I feel like I get about 85% of them right (without actually counting) I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get the test over with.

I’ve been hesitating to take the test for a few months. I went through the All in One book by Mike Meyers and then picked up Exam Cram based on the reviews. It’s very comprehensive but much more streamlined and to the point. Professor Messer’s videos are great and I participated in his last online study group.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Awful CompSloth posted:

Which test are you talking about?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I'm planning on taking the 902 on Tuesday, and I feel pretty confident in the multiple choice stuff. However I'm kinda nervous about the performance questions. I assume there's gonna be a command line for one of them, but that's about it. For people who have taken it recently, what kind of stuff did they look for?

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Mamma Lucia posted:

I'm planning on taking the 902 on Tuesday, and I feel pretty confident in the multiple choice stuff. However I'm kinda nervous about the performance questions. I assume there's gonna be a command line for one of them, but that's about it. For people who have taken it recently, what kind of stuff did they look for?

Comptia 901

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Oyster posted:

I just finished the Google courses yesterday, and yes, they do adequately prepare you for the A+, Net+, and Sec+, and more. I was extremely impressed by them.

The Sec+ has more buzzwords, but the Google courses were much more practical. The CCENT isn't much more than what's on the Google courses, it just adds some Cisco specific functions.

Is this Google course worth taking as someone with a CCNA and an A+? It looks really nifty for covering all my IT bases but I want to make sure they're not just blowing smoke.