Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Got my official paper ~~VMware VCA~~ certificate in the mail today :smug: brb gonna go hang it over the toilet or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Is this thing seriously in the middle of the night? :what:

"We will re-broadcast the event on November 25 & 26 from 11:00pm Pacific until approximately 3:30am each day." Hahahaha holy poo poo.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Maybe double check that the materials you've been studying are up to date for the new CCENT/CCNA exams that recently came out? They have exam numbers like 100-101 and 200-101.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had to google that acronym as I'm not a network dude. I absolutely love the image Cisco uses as the header on the cert's front page. :lol:

"Dedicate your life to worshiping at the altar of arcane networking protocols. Become a god among men. And then maybe, if your sacrifices are great enough and you are deemed worthy, one day you too will lord over an awful shitstorm of spaghetti cabling that some fucktard intern set up over his high school summer vacation. May it suffocate you in its unknowable glory."

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dafte posted:

Is it too late for the Stanly VMWare courses? All I could find was wait list for summer. If you have any info please let me know. Thanks.

Sign up regardless. When I signed up I was told there was a 9 month wait list, then I got contacted soon after for the next semester because a bunch of people flaked out.

... then I canceled myself because I had changed jobs in the meantime and the new company is a KVM/OpenStack shop. But anyway the point is the sooner you sign up, the sooner you can get in :) Make sure to whitelist them on your spam filter or check your spam religiously because every single drat thing they sent went to spam for me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJP posted:

I didn't whitelist them, but I never even got anything in my spam filter. They were able to send me stuff after I reached out, though, and it was never marked as spam... yay Gmail spam filter?

Heh I was using GMail too. Maybe my settings are different, who knows. :shrug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ToG posted:

I'm planning to go after MCSA in Server administration but I've a few questions. I have a CS degree, CCNA and about 2 years experience but im still struggling to get interviews. Will having the cert help me over the experience I have? I'm wondering if im missing the short list because im missing it.

Also is it best to go for the 2012 variant or 2008 (since that's what gets used)?

Also what are the best resources/books. I used Sybex books for CCNA and a lab.

What sort of work are you doing now, and what are you applying for? A 4 year CS degree, CCNA and actual work experience is a very solid set of credentials and should be able to at least get you to the interview stage. I'd be surprised if it's the lack of a cert holding you back with a few years of experience under your belt. Unless you're applying to postings that explicitly require an MCSA or something.

Have you had someone knowledgeable critique your resume? As a bunch of goons can attest, using the Resume 2 Interview guy's service has taken them from zero callbacks to dozens. Marketing yourself well can make a ridiculous difference. Same goes for setting up a professional and complete LinkedIn profile.

None of that is to say that you shouldn't go after a cert if you think it will help. Just that there may be some quicker and easier fixes you can make first while you start pursuing that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

chestnut santabag posted:

In that picture, the first answer actually is the correct answer.
The subnet that it's referring to is the third octet in the IP address of the host - you'd be changing the IP address of host 1 from 192.168.5.30 to 192.168.20.30 so that it's in the same network as the server.

Also I'd quibble that the result of a web server being totally unreachable because the client has no route to it would not be "404 not found". The request would just time out. Doesn't materially affect the answer but it's sloppy and dumb at best and potentially confusing at worst.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

Passed TSHOOT with a perfect score and am now officially a CCNP. It was probably the easiest certification exam I've ever taken. Next up: CISSP.

Congrats dude!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Amphion posted:

The MS Windows 7 cert is another good one to start with. MS is offering a free second attempt if you fail through the end of May so now is a good time to do it.

Support jobs is what you can expect but it might pay around what you make now or less depending on the city. Ideally not something like a comcast call center telling people to unplug and plug it back in. Look on dice or indeed and search help desk, desktop support, and field technician and see what the descriptions are like and what they're asking for.

This is good advice. I'd add that once you do land that first helldesk or support gig, don't stop studying and improving. Like Amphion said unless you luck out the job will still probably kinda suck and not pay much better. You want to use that first foot in the door to figure out what kind of career track you want to be on and then take the next step to something like Jr Sysadmin or Jr Network Admin where work will actually start to become interesting and rewarding long-term. You should be ready for this within a year or two at an entry-level gig if you're working at self improvement.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No, MS has their own certs. Google "MSCA" plus Microsoft.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 1, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Raymn posted:

I'm trying to get more experience with server 2008 since that is what we use and it doesn't sound like we're going to be migrating in the near future. Would something like Server 2008 R2 Unleashed be good? Is it more of a reference for someone that knows what they're doing or can I use it to sort of train myself? Do the cert specific books detail practice tasks so I'm not noodling around aimlessly in a VM? What generally works best for me is learning by doing with moderately clear goals that were built upon previous tasks. This all sounds like what cert training material is to be honest but I don't want to be stuck with the wrong one.

When I randomly got thrown into the Windows admin deep end, these two books were a huge help. They don't assume advanced knowledge. But from what I remember they don't include any exercises or mini labs like you're talking about, either. They just walk you through the different features and tools, how to use them, troubleshooting etc. I actually learn best the same way as you, by doing. You can always invent projects of your own to lab up, like "set up a basic domain controller and get my Win 7 client VM joined to it. Create a domain user and allow them to log in. Manage some desktop settings by group policy. Create a new DNS zone. Create a DHCP server. Make the client PC use those."

General Windows Server admin and AD basics: Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2
Group Policy specific: Group Policy: Fundamentals, Security, and the Managed Desktop

Those links are to the latest, 2012 editions. But I'm sure you can find the 2008 editions if you'd rather not get confused by material you won't need.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

beepsandboops posted:

I'm doing support now at a small ISP, but I'd like to transition into more of a systems/network admin role. I'm thinking about getting a CCENT (or Network+) to kind of get my foot in the door, then some sort of more systems admin one later down the road (Linux+?), but does anybody have any advice on certs?

First of all, if you can, develop a relationship with your sysadmin and/or network engineer. Depending on your definition of "small" they might be the same person :). But anyway, having been that small ISP sysadmin myself, that person is DEFINITELY overworked and would kill for someone to shield them from the lamest support tickets and grunt work so they can stop fighting fires and get project work done. Don't be the guy who takes a call, does the bare minimum and then escalates the ticket based on a bunch of nonsense ("asked customer to ping their subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. got an error, escalating." yes that was a real ticket.). Ask if there's anything you can take off their plate or if you could become a second tier of support buffering them from lame issues that shouldn't make it past the front line, but do.

To more directly answer your question, the CCENT is a great cert. It's roughly comparable to Network+ but has the advantage of also being half of the CCNA so if you decide to go further in networking, you're well on your way. On the systems side, the RHCSA/RHCE (see below) for Linux or MCSA Windows Server are good goals. But I'll add that certs aren't the only path. Some quality work experience doing level 2 support and/or junior admin tasks will look as good or better on your resume, too.

Happy to talk more about Linux stuff if you want, since I feel like this forum is Windows/VMware/Cisco heavy :)

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to *nix, but I think I'll need to get the RHCSA at some point to keep my career moving.

Can anyone recommend one or two books that will take me from zero to RHCSA?

Michael Jang writes good Red Hat cert books.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 7, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Seconded, good book. edit: I'll add that depending on your time scale for wanting to pass the exam, you might want to wait for RHEL 7 to come out. It's in beta and expected later this year although no official date has been announced. Which of course will mean new books and exams for the new version. But I don't think it's in "any day now" territory so if you want to bang out the cert in the next few months, just go for it.

You do NOT need to buy RHEL licenses to study for the exam. CentOS is 100% free, and is literally just RHEL with all occurrences of "Red Hat" changed to "CentOS" and pointed at different RPM repositories. If you study on CentOS you will be able to pass the exam just fine without spending any money.

If your home PC is semi modern and has, say, 8GB of RAM there is no reason to buy a lab for the RHCSA/RHCE. An SSD is a nice touch because you do spend a fair amount of time doing OS installations. But you don't actually even want a bunch of physical servers because doing virtualization with KVM/libvirt is part of the RHCSA curriculum. What I've done is install VMware player on Windows and then run all of my lab VM's in that. It allows you to do nested virtualization which VirtualBox and other free tools do not.

Note: I have not sat for the exam yet, that's just what I've taken away from the study guides.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 11, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Interpolator posted:

On this note, what books would anyone recommend for studying for the RHCSA? Preferably with labs included that I can run in VMware

Michael Jang's book is good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tigren posted:

Alright, passed my RHCSA this weekend. The practice tests in the Jang book and online really are good prep.

Now on to finding a job in the SF Bay area. Anyone wanna hire me?

Congrats :respek: I feel like this forum leans Windows heavy so I am always happy to see another Linux person join the fold. My unsolicited advice would be to lab up one of Chef or Puppet at home and teach yourself some basic Python or Ruby. Store those lab exercises in git or Mercurial. With some combo of those under your belt you won't be looking for a job long.

Double bonus points for using Amazon AWS' free tier as your "lab" so you can get ~cloud~ on your resume, too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AWS offers a free tier which is basically 1 year of the smallest possible instance of each service (a micro EC2 instance, etc). You couldn't do a full RHCE lab or anything 100% free but just some exposure to the AWS GUI and some sort of CLI tool whether it's the official API's or something like the Python boto library is extremely valuable. And while you're learning the AWS ecosystem you might as well take advantage of the box you've spun up to play with something like Puppet/Chef/SaltStack/Ansible and a scripting language.

I don't have a great tutorial off the top of my head but if I find one in my bookmarks or anything I'll post it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tigren posted:

That would be awesome. I just got my lab box setup and fired up the Learning Puppet VM. It is pretty neat. Other projects on my list are Vagrant, Docker, and RDO (Red Hat's OpenStack release).

I appreciate the unsolicited advice. I'm looking to switch careers and it's a bit daunting.

You make it seem like basic exposure to some of this stuff is all it takes to pimp it on a resume. How familiar are you with a concept or technology before you claim to know?

A good rule of thumb is whether you'd be comfortable talking about it in an interview. If it's a junior type job, you can speak intelligently about what Puppet is and why config management/infrastructure as code are desirable, and you can read, understand and make simple changes to their existing manifests that's probably fine. If they want you to architect a large deployment from the ground up that might be outside the scope of what you can reasonably learn in a home lab. It should be reasonably clear from the job description how much of a guru you're expected to be.

Don't lie about the fact that you haven't used it on the job, but you don't need to downplay what you've done either if it had practical value. "yes it was in a home lab, but I wrote manifests from scratch to deploy a LAMP app" or whatever.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cross posting from the main IT thread because this is a pretty baller deal and seems relevant to cert seekers. O'Reilly is offering 50-60% off most of their ebooks, one day only. "Deal expires May 7, 2014 at 5am PT"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah to be honest AD is one area where Microsoft has kind of knocked it out of the park. It's possible to do something similar in Linux; AD is built on top of LDAP so that part isn't a stretch. Likewise Group Policy could be thought of as a config management tool like Puppet/Chef/Salt etc. Microsoft has just turned the raw tech into a nice product and wrapped it in a GUI. If you're in the relatively rare* position of managing a bunch of Linux desktops you're looking at running OpenLDAP for authentication and directory services and then writing a ton of code in your config management tool of choice for enforcing configuration and policy on client machines. Vs doing that in a nice point and click UI that tens of thousands of people have been trained on. And then reinventing all of the integration with DNS/DHCP/printers as Daylen Drazzi said.

A couple years back there was some noise about "Googbuntu" from Google, their take on a managed Linux desktop based on Ubuntu. But from what's been published it's basically stock Ubuntu plus a lot of custom Puppet manifests to loosely mimic the controls of Group Policy.

*I don't mean to imply that there are no large deployments of managed Linux desktops, there's plenty. Just that compared to the total market share of MS + Apple they're still a minuscule number.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MJP posted:

I've avoided getting ICND1/ICND2 simply because I don't want to do networking - I'd rather do server/sysadmin and work for companies that do realize networking and sysadmin are separate skill sets that each deserve their own professional attention.

Maybe I'm nitpicking you too much but I kinda disagree with this. Not in that systems and networking aren't two different fields--they absolutely are. But even as a full-time sysadmin, knowing CCENT/N+ level fundamentals about networking is very valuable in terms of troubleshooting and designing systems. This doesn't mean you're logging into routers and switches to edit configs, but I like to know at a basic level how and why bits are flowing into and out of my systems. Is it really a good use of the neteng's time to come look at your server and tell you the reason it can't ping Host A is you messed up the subnet mask or it is missing a route? I've used tcpdump and Wireshark to diagnose countless problems, which wouldn't be possible if I threw any problem involving an IP address over the wall. If I didn't understand NAT and HTTP, I'd have worthless Apache access logs because every request would look like it came from our firewall. Etc. None of these are tasks I consider "doing networking" but they require some networking knowledge to perform.

There's also the fact that unless you're at a larger organization, most places can't justify a full-time network person. It's going to fall on the sysadmins. You may not be interested in working for those companies and that's fine, but newbies should be aware of it. Most every SMB sysadmin job is going to have networking duties in the description. Maybe you don't need to actually have your CCNA, but you better be able to answer "what is a VLAN?" and "what is the difference between a router and a switch?" at the interview.

Basically I don't consider CCENT/CCNA to be at the "network specialization" level, to me that's more CCNP and higher.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The big exception off the top of my head is the Red Hat certs, which are entirely practical. My understanding is that there's no questions per se, you're just given a blank slate of a PC and told to configure a bunch of services a certain way.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

The short answer is "anything IT-related with University X", as it'd be a foot in the door, be more educational and higher pay than my current post, and still allow me to keep the health insurance my family needs. Because I have to be picky right now about employer and location, I have to cast the net as wide as I can- I plan to apply for anything relatively entry level here whether they want a network tech, Jr. systems administrator, PC support, possibly even programming positions depending on how they sound. I've done all of these things on my own enough to know I could enjoy them, and would at least learn more than I do at my current job and get some stimulation from problem-solving.

One of the jobs I applied for involved system administration in a windows environment, and I think having some background in AD and understanding how large Windows deployments work would've made me a stronger candidate. So for something like that an MCSA might have helped, even though it was also a PC support position (which led to me considering an A+ after getting no callback).

So yeah, even as I wrote that I realize an MCSA would've put me in better stead than an A+ for the PC Support position. Not going to waste my time with A+.

What are you doing for work now? If you don't have at least some work history in IT, it's going to be very hard to get hired except for the most entry level of roles. Even with certs, since it's not terribly hard to braindump the exams and become a "paper tiger" who doesn't know the first thing about the tech in practice. I'm not saying that's you at all, just that that's what an employer might perceive if they get an application from someone with A+ / CCNA / MCSA but zero days of actual job experience. Doing 6-12 months of helldesk or small business jack of all trades admin may end up opening more doors for you than any entry level cert.

Clearly you really want in to this university. But since you're not in it yet, changing from your current job to another one that will set you up with the experience to get in won't be a downgrade. Try to land something else that will put you on the right path to get a job at the university. Don't just spam a generic "I AM GOOD WITH COMPUTER" resume in to every opening at the uni that remotely resembles IT.

Do you know anyone there who could give you a reference? If not, maybe you could do something to raise your visibility on campus. Volunteer with their local ACM chapter or organize and lead meetings of a <whatever> Users Group in the computer science building. Give them a reason to pick your resume out of the stack of 100 that comes in.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Michael Jang is pretty much the RHCSA/RHCE author.

I'd also point out that RHEL 7 was just released and so the exams and books will likely be updated later this year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grats nerds

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

1000101 posted:

Also I did a thing Friday:

:drat: Congrats, that is drat impressive. Enjoy the CCIE gravy train!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, get Jang's book. The RHCSA/RHCE is a different beast from most certs. You basically get a Linux machine and are told "do these configuration/administrative tasks". There are no multiple choice questions or anything, it would be like if the CCNA was entirely sims. So if you can do all of the exam objectives in the book that's pretty much it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol is probably in the best position to know, being an RH employee ;) But my 2c would be to wait for the version 7 book. There's enough stuff that is radically different, like systemd and a new major kernel version. It feels like a more disruptive update than 5 to 6 did.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I agree with Dilbert. If you have any relevant work experience at all, you're definitely beyond A+ and probably N+.

Your goal is to work in security? A CCNA-level understanding of networking is probably a very good idea. From there you may want to pursue some more security certs (besides S+). I won't speak to its actual merits but CISSP is one of those certs you often have to have to get your resume looked at even if the material is dumb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Well...poo poo. I have no excuse as to how I butchered DHCP into that. :(

The fact that his argument is "the world doesn't need MAC addresses because DHCP exists" is even more :psyduck:. Use Wireshark to capture a DHCPDISCOVER/REQUEST/OFFER/ACK exchange. Note that every packet involves the client's MAC as an identifier. Fin.

What is his argument against "learning" MAC addresses? They're just a string. It's not like subnetting where there's some basic math to perform, they just exist.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Do tests for rhel 7 even exist yet?

Yeah, looks like they are already updated.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think there's official training available from Red Hat, but the typical books like Jang's aren't out yet.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

To start? ITIL first.

This is an A+ username/post combo.

Kidding aside, in your situation, ITIL is probably actually a great idea. Go buy "The Visible Ops Handbook" off Amazon for $20 for a 1,000,000 foot view that you can read in a day. Also The Phoenix Project by the same guy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kuive posted:

Are there any vendor agnostic or Debian / Ubuntu Linux certifications that are worth the cost/effort?

I see RHEL starting to fall out of favor with developers, and to be honest, I've always been more comfortable with the Debian way of doing things, so investing in Red Hat-specific certifications doesn't seem like the right move for me.

There's the LPIC certs which are vendor neutral. I can't say one way or the other how useful and well known they are, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretty sure that edition is for the old, discontinued exams. So yes you will need the new book.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Depends on if you feel like you can afford to wait and see what kind of boost you get from the N+/S+. I'd like to think a manager who sees a candidate that passed N+ and S+ would figure he's smart enough to learn the A+ material in a matter of weeks. The A+ is probably the most entry level certification that exists in IT. Its purpose is to poke your foot in the door and help you land your first helldesk or repair tech job. It shows that you at least know something, even if you don't have the work history yet. Once you've gotten that first job, no one will care about it because almost any work experience speaks louder than the cert. But it is certainly valuable for getting past the initial HR filter. If 50 resumes come in and 45 have all 3 certs, you're probably landing in the reject pile.

This is also a roundabout way of saying that you should start working on a professional network. See if there's some local <whatever tech you love> user groups or meetups you can go to. Often times you'll start a conversation with someone, get into your skills and background and find they're hiring for someone exactly like you. You'll immediately have a huge leg up and probably get to submit your resume to the manager directly instead of getting filtered by a third party.

edit: vvv 100% agree with this poster

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 7, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I also like that you're apparently going to achieve a 4th grade level of "Greatness" based on the handwriting on that poster.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Virtualization is also the present and recent-past at this point. It's not really an optional part of any admin or aspiring admin's skill set these days.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

surc posted:

Is there anywhere that's just a general tutorial for the Red Hat certifications? I don't want just a braindump, but I could use some directed instructions or tasks, without having to fit the official red hat classes into my schedule.

This is pretty much exactly what Michael Jang's RHCSA/RHCE book is. Unfortunately he's still working on the RHEL 7 edition and (as far as I know) there's no official release date yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

madpanda posted:

poor job of ... responding to the community in a professional manner.

linux.txt (though if it's not clear from my posting, I :h: Linux).

If you search around on Google or Hacker News there is no shortage of blog posts going into excruciating detail about why systemd is literally Hitler if you want that perspective.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet to really form an opinion. But for better or worse all major distros have accepted it so it is here to stay. Ignore at your own risk.