Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I got to chat with Mike Meyers today and was kind of star struck! Is that weird?

When I lived in Denver, Scott Lowe (of Mastering VMware books fame) ran the local OpenStack meetup of all things. Which was pretty funny since I'm sure there are lots of people who would have happily paid him thousands of dollars for VMware training. And instead like 10 of us nerds just got to shoot the poo poo with him about tech stuff, drink beer and eat pizza.

I was more starstruck saying hi to Brendan Gregg at reinvent because that guy fuckin' owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MF_James posted:

I've assumed they have stuff that is considered ICND2 or CCNP level (speaking to this specific ICND1 example), when I took the ICND1 last year I had read through the previous iteration of the book so I can't recall what got moved up to CCNP but I think they had OSPF stuff on my test that was otherwise not in the objectives, but I might be mistaken.

There's definitely routing protocol stuff on the ICND2, including OSPF. ICND1 seems like it shouldn't have it, unless you were talking about the combined exam.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That is a good pro-tip for almost any spoken-word content. I listen to all podcasts at 1.25x plus Overcast's feature that skips dead air. Within a day or two I stopped noticing the difference and it just felt normal. The only time I hear it now is when my wife puts on the same podcast at normal speed and it sounds like everyone is underwater. Also all theme songs sound wrong and bad to me at 1x speed now, so I am broken in that way.

And thanks for the detailed writeup of your experience with the Google cert. As someone hiring very entry level people (interns/coops), that sounds like something I need to be aware of. Either to look for on resumes, or to recommend to them as a resource if they have major gaps.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

- Know all of the built in text manipulation tools that you'll never use, like sed.

These tools own, though? I probably pipe something through sed and company every drat day for one reason or another.

The others sound like ridiculous trivia, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

:lol:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fordan posted:

The fact that ed isn’t mentioned much anymore shows that even for the most white-beardy grognardy sysadmin there is a limit to the masochism. I’ve used ed, but it was way back in the day when it was the only statically-linked editor and correct terminal emulation was often a rarity so you needed a line-based editor as an option. I did it reluctantly and with the man page printed out next to me though.

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isn’t there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didn’t do the case, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And I’ve seen some posts online saying it’s better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

Apparently I am just going to keep linking funny/cool editor takes in this thread

https://jvns.ca/blog/2018/05/11/batch-editing-files-with-ed/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pretty sure Packet Tracer is totally free now. You just need to register an account on Cisco’s learning site.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There’s a good AWS thread in Cavern of COBOL, too, if you have questions about something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Certifications for developers aren't really a thing*, at least in my experience. I mean, I'm sure they exist, but I've never seen someone ask for one or list it on a resume. With IT certs like the CCNA, there is a defined list of tasks you need to be able to complete. If you can show on an exam that you can do those tasks, great, I have at least some confidence you can do the job. But for coding, there is no discrete set of knowledge you can put a box around and say "ok now this person is good at programming". Whether or not you can name every Python keyword or pick the loop structure out of choice A B or C is extremely uninteresting and really tells me nothing about whether you can write understandable and functioning code. I would much rather see a couple nontrivial scripts on your GitHub page than a $1000 cert.

* Obvious exception is a full computer science degree, or going through a bootcamp. But both of those would be overkill for someone just looking to get better at scripting rather than becoming a full-time software engineer.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A lot of the CCNA knowledge will be very useful to you even if you decide to go down a sysadmin or security path, so it’s certainly not a waste of time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

N+ has better name recognition I think, but the CCENT gets you halfway to the CCNA. Which is better than either. So I would suggest going that way, with an eye toward finishing out the CCNA next.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ghostnuke posted:

Can do, but I was meaning more like... are there any specifically for system administration, like MS ones or something? This might be a dumb question but I honestly don't know.

edit: Ok, so it looks like MCSA / MCSE and or Server+ would be useful

Can you give us a bit more to go on? Like for the job you didn't get, what sort of technologies would you have been working with day to day, and where were you weak in the interviews? What is your IT background? What areas of tech do you like or think you want to learn more about?

There are a shitload of different certifications you could go for (including, yes, dozens of Microsoft certs). But we can't really give you advice til we know where you are at and where you want to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Oh wow, Cisco really blew up the whole program this time huh? I figured it would be more like the last “update” where they just chopped some dumb ancient poo poo off the exam objectives.