Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet.

Are the 70-640, 642 and 646 really being retired?

According to this post they are still going to be active, just if you complete them, you will be an MCSA: Server 2008 instead of the MCITP variant. Potato potaaaaato.

quote:

I've now viewed several threads here where people are saying that the MCITP: Server Administrator exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are being retired on July 31, 2013. This is a misunderstanding.

The MCITP certifications (EA & SA) are being retired on that date, along with some of the core exams for the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification (70-643, 70-647). However, the MCITP: SA exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646) are not being retired, only the MCITP: SA designation.

Students who pass the MCITP: SA exams after July 31, 2013 will now be awarded the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification instead of the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification. It is simply a name change for the MCITP: SA.

Microsoft's MCITP Certifications web page says the following:

MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008. This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/59cdd9a8-8d45-4079-9aa2-954c4b5d0194

If this is true, I may hack out the three 2008 R2 tests then upgrade the cert to 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Not sure if this has been covered in this thread yet.

Are the 70-640, 642 and 646 really being retired?

According to this post they are still going to be active, just if you complete them, you will be an MCSA: Server 2008 instead of the MCITP variant. Potato potaaaaato.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/CertGeneral/thread/59cdd9a8-8d45-4079-9aa2-954c4b5d0194

If this is true, I may hack out the three 2008 R2 tests then upgrade the cert to 2012.

Anyone care to confirm or deny this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

routenull0 posted:

JUNOS Firewall-Filters for life!

We are about to forklift core switches, distribution switches and firewalls all to Juniper. Been impressed working with them so far.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

I hate Cisco's wireless solutions. They're overpriced, clunky, and generally bad. So of course it's all we use because management likes the branding.

We have been rolling out Meraki for our wireless and it has been painless. Who knows what Cisco will do with them though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Brilliant, signed up.

As did I. Didn't see any kind of link for that on their main page though.

Ehh. Maybe I should just cram and knock out the CCNA before those tests retire?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The CCNA retirement has me thinking the opposite - be ready to go for the new ones, in the belief that, oh, early adopter, they'll "last longer".

I am sure the new one would be more beneficial, but as someone who doesn't primarily do networking or whan to, I figure it will be a nice mark to have on the resume.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moey posted:

Ehh. Maybe I should just cram and knock out the CCNA before those tests retire?

gently caress it. I'm gonna do this. Figure can do ICND1 by end of July and then ICND2 in September.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

My point is, end of July is definitely a good goal :)

Good to hear! Remembering the different uses for each OSI layer is one thing I will need to drill into my head. Maybe I can find some flashcards or something.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Once I straightened it out in my head to...

Physical -> Data Link -> Network -> Transport
Bits -> Frames -> Packets -> Segments
1s/0s -> MAC address -> IP address -> Port

...it started to make more sense to me.

Good luck!

Awesome. I'll make sure to start grinding that into my brain at least once a day.

I have been using http://www.subnettingquestions.com/ for practice. And am drat close to 100% (minus some math fuckupery). Is this going to be similar to what I should be expecting?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AtmaHorizon posted:

Just remember -2 rule for address allocation :)

Awesome. I have that burned into my head already!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So just worked through this CCENT practice test and got 86%. Haven't done much real studying yet outside of subnetting practice.

http://www.ccentquestions.com/HPCCQmain.html

Has anyone worked through these questions? Are they a realistic example of what I should expect on the CCENT?

Ozu posted:

Just to be clear, I'd have to pass VCP410, take the "VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.1]" course, and then take VCP510 in order to be current, correct?

Correct. I just checked on the PearsonVue website and it looks like the VCP410 is still available as well.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 1, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Compared to some other practice tests I've messed around with, those seem pretty simplistic. Go through the review questions ->here<- for some legit practice questions from Cisco. I did a lot worse on those than any other place.

Thanks! I find Cisco's site to be a clusterfuck, so I never would have found them most likely.

Edit: 30/45 on the first module. Looks like I got some studying to do!

Moey fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 1, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Can someone explain to me how this is done?

21. Using six subnet bits, how many usable subnets are created?

Edit: Thanks google.

quote:

Number of subnets = 2^n where n is the number of bits borrowed
Number of hosts = 2^(32 - n) - 2 where n is the number of bits in your subnet mask

Double edit: Still doesn't help me. I would say 64 usable subnets?

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 2, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

psydude posted:

Be careful here, because it looks like the answer is assuming this is the mid 90s and you can't use Subnet 0 or Subnet 1.

And that would explain the "correct" answer from Cisco being 62 not 64.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Took 640-822 (CCENT) last week and passed with a 93%. Took 70-410 (Instl. & Cfg. Windows Server 2012) today and passed with a 94%. One left for CCNA and two left for MCSA.

Come at me cert exams :cool:

Woop woop!

I gotta sign up for the ICND-1 soon to help force myself into finishing studying.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

But it's senior... I'd expect a bit more.

Yea. Currently I am just a "Sysadmin", going to try and weasel a Sr title next year. Working for a county government. My pay is a healthy amount higher than that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Also when do you guys normally schedule exams? I aim for beginning of the week Monday/Tues at the beginning or end of a month.

On a day where I will not get shitfaced the night before.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tasty Wheat posted:

I watched three "Engineers" from our Operations Group spend over three hours trying configure a Juniper router and switch for an install I am on today. Guess it's time to go back to learning Juniper. If a combined 40 years of Cisco experience can't even factory reset a router let alone dump a boilerplate config in it, ouch.

Wow. I understand that working in the CLI is different than Cisco, but please go smack all of them in the head with a ball peen hammer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Got into the fall class as well. Finally can knock out the stupid pre-exam requirement.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MJP posted:

I guess that you'll be the one in charge of doing all the vMotioning work, being the king of the moves.

I think in the past 10 months at my current job I have only done 1 desk move. It was a thin client too!

Edit:

Building and grounds did decided to take apart a special purpose setup to move a desk and do some painting. They decided to hook everything back up with the "if it fits, it is right" methodology. Thanks for plugging the Comcast modem/router that was isolated for this very specific network into our production network. I love rouge DHCP servers.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 2, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Just gave 185 to Stanly CC. Should finally become a VCP soon!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ozu posted:

Is the Scott Lowe 'Mastering vSphere 5' book a decent enough replacement for whatever Stanly course materials there are?

Great book. I am really just using the Stanly course as my "rubber stamp" so I can sit the exam. I don't expect to really learn anything from it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

What part about it gives you trouble? I'm happy to answer any questions you have, or I can write up something tonight if I remember.

I also wouldn't mind a short and sweet generic OSPF best practices. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So, someone who has done the Stanly ICM course, quick question.

Do I need to watch these painful videos or can I just rip through the labs?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

Rip through the labs only. If you bought the course book, it's just a binder of the slides and some explanation. I watched the first two and decided I was done and just blew through the lab in 2 or 3 sittings.

Thanks. I didn't make it through the first video until I decided to just work on the labs. Listening to that guy was brutal.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MJP posted:

There's some useful info in the videos. I'd recommend watching them and go through the labs simultaneously, if for no other reason than to cover two of the major learning styles at the same time. Just so long as you have a good prep book for the exam itself, that is.

Not too worried about the exam, just need this course for the "rubber stamp". Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some bizarre requirement where it was tracking my clicks on the videos.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

madsushi posted:

FWIW, I didn't do any labs past the first 4-5 and still passed.

Hmmm, did you do the quizzes?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is it just me, or is the Stanly ICM lab documentation all jacked up? I'm pounding away through it and later labs reference a datastore that I already deleted. It had me expand an existing datastore on that lun as well. I have been burning through this so I may have missed something, but I do not believe so.

madsushi posted:

Yeah I did all of the quizzes (100%).

Also where the hell are these quizzes? The only two "quizzes" I found were the class overview and the VMware registration.

I just want my rubber stamp!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlternateAccount posted:

Welp, MTA Networking Fundamentals passed with a 92. Took about eight minutes, the one thing I studied was looking over the OSI model in the parking lot. There wasn't a single OSI model question on the whole drat test. Welp.

So is there really any point in taking this exam? What is your background like?

I really should start hording certs.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You should still be able to take the VCP5 exam up until a few months after the VCP6 exam becomes available, so I wouldn't sweat a hypothetical deadline at this point - you've got time.

So I am in no rush to take the VCP510 exam as it will remain available?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Take it before VMworld so before august. I'm not saying that's when it ends, but I STRONGLY suggest taking it before then.

Yea, I cannot imagine not finding the time to sit it before then. Gracias.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Wow. I took the 201 a while back and I don't recall any sims.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I could get down on a basic call manager book. I came from a shoretel environment as well and this stuff is completely foreign.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What Doc said.

When I started doing SysAdmin work, I was strictly Windows/Application/Anything but networking. Got into VMware and storage stuff and still didn't know too much about networking.

I am about 6 months into taking over all the networking stuff at my current job, and have realized even more now than ever before how beneficial it is. It really does tie everything together and knowing it well (even if you don't like it) will expand your skillset tremendously.

6 months ago if anyone asked me, I would love to say that "I am not a network guy". Now after 6 months, our poo poo has been running without unplanned outages for some time (WTF was the old dude doing?!?!?).

I still have a lot of cleanup and optimization ahead, but I know when I leave here, I will be in a much better place vs sticking with the "I am not a network guy" attitude.

Edit:

It also isn't rocket science (none of this poo poo we are doing is). It is simple to use google, build a little lab with some old equipment at work, then start moving forward.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

OhDearGodNo posted:

Just be ready to shell out $4k for the required class, and that doesn't cover the exam. On top of that even VMware says the class doesn't touch the scope of the exam, you'll need to do a lot on your own.

Or take the Stanly CC course. Probably like a 3 month waiting list currently, but if you are paying for it yourself, well worth it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

CompTIA's Continuing Education program costs you $59 a year and is required to keep your cert active. In addition you need to have 60 CE hours every 3 years to renew your cert. If you fail to pay the fee or you fail to get the requisite number of hours then your cert expires and you are required to retake the exam.

My Sec+ expires in November and I was just trying to figure out what to do.

Looks like I can take the Storage+ and it will renew it. Now to just get work to pay because that cert certainly isn't worth $300.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm only posting this off the top of my head, but I think you get a couple CE hours just for working - your company just has to put something on official letterhead. I'll take a look at what mine says when I go into work and report back. You can actually completely fulfill all CE requirements online by watching some videos - I've got the link for people who can access the DoD network, and I'll get that as well. There's a ton of crap that was sent to me that I never paid attention to because I got my Sec+ CE cert back in June of last year, so I've still got 2 years to go until I need to renew mine.

I have been looking over the information for the last week or so. If I don't have to foot the bill, the quickest way would be to knock out the Storage+. I have no looked at the material at all, but wouldn't expect it to be difficult.

Edit:

Maybe I'll take a stab at it with this book. http://www.amazon.com/Data-Storage-Networking-CompTIA-Certification/dp/1118679210/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

For some reason Storage+ sounds depressing to study for. I think it's because once I get my Security+ I consider myself done with CompTIA forever, outside of renewing Security+ when necessary.

Same here, but I figure might as well knock out something else to renew it vs taking it again. Also seems better than paying comptia and doing additional crap just to renew.

They have non-comptia certs that can renew them, but I didn't see anything for Sec+ that I am currently in the market in to take.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Baconroll posted:

Can someone recommend a good study guide/book for the Redhat RHCSA certification ?

Are there any tips for studying other than the usual build a VM/install/break/fix/play route as you go through the book ?

Are you taking 6 or 7? Not in my ally, but I believe this was the book that is normally mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/RHCSA-RHCE-Red-Linux-Certification/dp/0071765654

Docjowles should be able to chime in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheEffect posted:

Hello. I recently took my ITIL Foundations exam and failed by one point. I did what everyone told me not to do and stressed over it too much and spent too much time analyzing the questions. I want to retake the test however I was wondering if thoughtrock.com is a legitimate vendor to do so with.

To obtain another voucher it's $250 for the exam voucher alone, but on ThoughtRock that price includes test materials. Should I go ahead with this service? I can't find anything negative about the site on Google. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

They are legit. My old place used them. I used their material but never ended up taking the cert.