Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm up for my 70-410 R2 and 70-411 R2 this summer (as well as my CCNA R&S). I'll be done the classes for 70-687 and 70-688 in a couple weeks but I can't afford to take the exams yet, nor am I quite sure I want to. Is there much demand for MSCA-Win8.1 in the kind of system administration environment that's looking for a CCNP/RHCSA/MSCA-Server2012? Or is it just a waste of time and money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phil Donahue Never Televises Sick People Anymore

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I passed 200-120 last Thursday and got the "congratulations, make sure your address and name are right" email the next day. How long does it usually take for the certificate to arrive? The email says 8 weeks but I can't imagine it actually taking that long to ship from wherever Cisco is to Vancouver...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Just had my first day of ICND1 training.

This is loving awesome.

Savour your excitement. Make it last as long as possible.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VLSM is something that eventually just clicks for people. Often visibly. As in, you can see it on their face when they finally get subnetting.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The proper way to type is with one finger hovering above tab.

Left pinky positioned for hitting tab, right pinky on shift and right index finger over question mark.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a w e r space / space j k l rshift

Sometimes my left hand reflexively goes to lshift a w d space like I'm playing an FPS. I can't be the only one with this problem.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just realized my right hand is more like space j i o ; now. I don't know when that happened but it must have been completely subconscious.

Traditional typing just feels wrong in comparison.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's literally a page and a half on Easy Virtual Networking at the end of the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide. It basically says "this is a thing that exists and you should pimp it to employers so we get more money and you get to flex your Cisco creds".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

I have avoided this book because of the comments and ratings on Amazon...what has your experience been?

It's okay. It's wordy and heavy as gently caress, which is appropriate for a textbook. I also have the FLGs for CCNA R&S and they did a pretty good job of preparing me for the CCNAX. I haven't done SWITCH yet but I know people who have used the book for it and did well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

Are you using the newest edition? The comments I mentioned talked about lots of technical errors

The one I have was printed July 2015 and it appears that most if not all of the errata from the first edition has been fixed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Has anyone here done the Certified Wireless Network Adminstrator certification? I have the textbook for it from a wireless class and don't know whether it's worth studying further for the cert.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Yeah. It's worth getting if you're doing a lot of wireless work, but I'd also recommend getting the vendor certs like the CCNA, too.

Good to know, thanks. I'll add it to the long list of certifications I want to get but can't because there's a gaping hole in my wallet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I grabbed the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide and looked for the section on PPPoE to see if it's much of anything. There's a page and a half. That's it. It says to buy a different book for more on PPP and PPPoE.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MF_James posted:

I have never done telnet localhost 123123, does that basically test that something is listening on that port on the server? That's what it seems like.

Telnet is more or less just a plain text TCP connection. There's a few control sequences but since it's that simple you can eg. telnet to a web server and send HTTP commands and get a response. It's a fairly common way to test if an SMTP server is up; send "EHLO\n" and if you get something back, you're in business.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Packet Tracer omits a number of configuration commands that aren't in any of the CCNA topics.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, I never had any IPv6 configuration questions on my CCNAX. There might be on the upcoming revision though, if they're pushing for "future everything".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Thinking of doing CCNA Datacenter. Has anyone here done it, and if so, were the cert guides on point?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ErIog posted:

Okay, is it also worth knowing any 802 numbers besides 802.2, 802.3, 802.11 and 802.1Q?

802.1D, 802.1w, 802.1X, 802.3af, 802.3at.

Anyone who wants you to memorize which 802.3 amendments are each nBASE-y is nuts.

everyone posted:

CCNA DC is bad

Right, not gonna bother with that one unless my employer wants me to. Thanks folks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We use a lot of UCS gear but not much in the way of Nexus.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. :)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ordered the CCNA Datacenter books today, hoping to crank those exams out in a couple months' time.

Anyone have any tips or anything to be wary of?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh boy am I ever glad work's paying for these :stare:

Thanks for the help guys.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Layer 0 is also pretty good, in that if you don't have the poo poo you need for your solution you are properly hosed. Layer 0 issues stem from cheap budgets and miscommunicated requirements.

I've always interpreted layer 0 as being "the laws of physics".

A layer 0 problem is impossible to solve because you cannot change the speed of electrons in copper or the speed of light in glass.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

One day we'll be able to capture micro-wormholes and just shove some Cat15e or whatever we're on by then through them for zero-latency 100 Tbps links across the solar system.

Y'know, assuming this pitiful species survives the next three and a half years.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/blogs/community_cafe/2016/05/17/ccna-refresh

TL;DR no more Frame Relay questions because who the gently caress uses Frame Relay still, but get you some VPN and SDN basics. And a bit of eBGP.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When I did the CCNA Composite exam it was I think $199 for the individual exams or $299 for the composite. Might have changed since then.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus, I wouldn't even start a PC repair business as a side gig if I were a bored multi-millionaire.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Microsoft exams are bullshit from the ninth circle of hell don't do them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

The question is asked about a byte, not an IPv4 octet. It's not necessarily wrong, just a real rear end in a top hat move to put that first sentence there if that's the answer they're looking for.

You can count to nine in a single digit. If I ask you what the largest number you can represent in a single digit is, and you say ten, I'm marking you wrong.

e: f;b

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Also presently 2019 has no GUI whatsofuckingever. You manage it from Project Honolulu, which is surprisingly not actually terrible. More navigable than Server Manager at least.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mayne posted:

It does have GUI. Only the 2016 server 1709 didn't have it.

I just downloaded a vNext ISO and installed it, and it's Server Core with none of the graphical shell packages in the install.wim. My options on install were Standard and Datacenter. No options for either for Server with a GUI or explicitly for Server Core.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone have experience with the Nutanix NPX cert? I can't even find any information on it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you’re not working for Nutanix or a VAR then you probably shouldn’t care about it.

I work for a VAR and am pretty much the SME for Nutanix related stuff here so I'm eyeballing the NPX.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a more obtuse and less intuitive piece of software in general usage than vi?

ed.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hrm. My three years on my CCNA R&S is almost up. Thinking maybe recerting with CCNP TSHOOT since my employer will pay for it and in the three years since I've done the CCNA R&S they've added Metro Ethernet and some other odd ducks to it.

Good/bad idea?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My CCNA R&S expires in two weeks so I've got my CCNP switching exam on Monday.

Whoops.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Passed CCNP Switch, 300-115. 825/1000, passing score is 790. Whew.

Don't cram your CCNP to recert your CCNA a week before it expires. Hella stressful.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Nutanix NCSE-L1 is terrible. All sorts of questions about sizing based on Oracle and Splunk and various VDI vendor features, and a bunch of ethically dubious ones that made my skin crawl about convincing customers not to do POCs and just close the deal.

The remote proctoring system that they outsourced the heavy lifting to is abysmal. It took 25 minutes sitting on a "this may take up to 2 minutes" screen to get a proctor to show up and verify my ID, and all the while the live support chat in the locked down exam browser was like "just phone nutanix". Yeah, because I'm going to pick up my phone in a secure testing environment. That's how this works.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of CISSP, how am I supposed to get the 5 years experience when every job in the infosec space requires the cert and/or previous experience?

By filing "touched a firewall on the helpdesk" under "security experience"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Only ones I know are important day to day stuff. Most software that cares about port numbers for analysis etc. accepts the name of the protocol instead like "https" or "dns" or "finger" so for day to day work sometimes you don't even need that.

For everything else there's google.