Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Edmantium posted:

ICND1 down, those simlets sure were a thing. I'd get the ICND2 done faster if the only testing center within 2 hours had other appointment times besides dawn 3 days a week.

Which parts did you find to be the most difficult? How long did you spend on the simlets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Edmantium posted:

Well, first YMMV since your exam will be different than mine.

There wasn't really any particular section that was difficult, but I will say to know your "show" commands. One simlet was looking for a particular detail that took me a while to find since I couldn't remember that particular command, and most of the simlet questions revolved around "show".

Other than that, it's not really hard if you've gone through the topics and messed with IOS in any form.

I work with switches on a daily basis, only having to worry about the knowledge-based parts is a bit easier on my mind. Thanks!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

T568B is what I've seen used most often.

Is that an American thing? Where I work we use A exclusively.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Are there any online Cisco academies (preferably in Canada) that will allow you to do a cert by correspondence, or at least give you access to Cisco's online curriculum? Everything in my area is either a high-school day program or a for-profit career college, but nothing for night schools.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I know that's a long while away but I am still worried :ohdear:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I booked my ICND1 for the end of May. Can anyone recommend any decent practice exams or questions? Even ones that are paid, if they aren't exorbitant.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

routenull0 posted:

That site is cheating and deserves to be removed.

Yeah, I'm not down with cheating on something I need to advance my career.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm wondering if anyone can clarify this for me.
I read that the new CCNA v2 exams from Cisco have changed such that you don't have to go CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNA {specialty}
instead, you can go
CCENT -> CCNA {specialty} so you don't have to have CCNA Routing and Switching as a prerequisite for wireless, voice, security, etc.

If this is the case, I'm scheduled to write the current INCD1/CCENT at the end of the month before it's retired. Would that qualify me for going right to, say, CCNA Wireless when the new exams are released? Or am I still expected to finish the ICND2?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'm going to attempt the CCENT 640-822 today. I've never done a cert exam before so I have no idea how this is going to go.

I used Wendell Odom's INCD1 book and did all of the included practice exams, chapter tests, subnetting practice questions, all of the memory tables and command references, plus some CBT Nuggets videos on a few topics.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Just passed the ICND1 640-822. Helps to be very certain of what you know to eliminate the awkward and strange answers from the correct ones.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
How do they send you the official score? Is it by email?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is there an official study guide for the CCNA Wireless 640-722? I know it's a fairly new exam, but I read that Cisco isn't obligated to write study material for it.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with the CCNA Design or Data Centre certs? I'm thinking I want to do them but I haven't met a single person who has or what their use it for those certs.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Island Nation posted:

Just took a CCENT (640-822) exam and failed with 788:bang:. Looks like I'll have to take it again while going thru my CCNA Academy course and if I can find another weekend date. I want to say my lack of lab know. doomed me but I really don't know.

Are there any good websites besides CCENT Questions for studying up on the exam or it it just reading Odom's and/or Lammle's books that should get me those last few points?

I practiced the poo poo out of the practice exams that came with Odom's book until I was totally comfortable with all of the questions. I found that it helped for the sim questions that I got when I wrote it.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good textbook or study material for JNCIA-Junos JN0-101? A lot of prep guides I've seen on Amazon were published almost 10 years ago.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Just to confirm, the old-style ICND1 exam code on Pearson Vue's website is the 640-822? And is the old ICND2 640-816?

That's right.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Third Man posted:

Great, thanks!

640-822 scheduled and paid for, that should kick my rear end in gear... Any thoughts about the premium subscription to the cisco learning network? At 10 bucks a month, would it be useful for the next couple months to help study for the ICND1/2 before it changes, or is it pretty much a waste of money?

Hmm... That's a good question. I assume that the Learning Network is separate from the Cisco Academy?

I personally never used the learning network at all while I was studying for my 640-822. If you find it beneficial for you, then $10 doesn't sound too bad.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Global Knowledge has an office downtown on Bay St. My boyfriend has done a few training courses through them. They offer in-class or online.

E: Here's their schedule: http://www.globalknowledge.ca/training/locationdates.asp?pageid=58&hotelid=Q6UJ9A3UOYYS&country=Canada

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Haydez posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees CCNP Security is done! Passed VPN today. Woot woot!

I'm in the VMWare class at Stanly so the VCP is next on my list but then I'm not sure what path I'd like to pursue. I was thinking possibly CCIE Security, but I'm a bit burnt out on that. I was thinking about venturing over to CCNP R&S or CCNA Voice/Wireless. Decisions, decisions.

Textbooks for wireless and data centre just came out, or will be out shortly. Already got them on my shopping list for 2014!

Lammle wrote both data centre books for 640-911 and 640-916 (out in February).

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 31, 2013

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone had a look at the textbooks for CCNA Data Centre 640-911 DCICN or 640-916 DCICT? Todd Lamelle was author for both and they came out fairly recently.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

NippleFloss posted:

Got my CCNA DC today, if anyone is looking at going that route and has any questions. There's no book out for the DCICT exam yet, so if you're looking for pointers on what to study I can tell you what helped me.

I'm planning to start this up soon, we use a lot of Nexus equipment here. I saw that books were jsut released for the DCICT? Or so Amazon says.

I have CCENT. Is there any overlap in material?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

1000101 posted:

Also I did a thing Friday:

So pretty jazzed about that.

I wanna get that when I grow up. Congrats!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

icehewk posted:

ICND1 exam tomorrow morning. Any suggestions? Trying to maintain the regular habits, eat well, sleep early, etc. Not looking at anything exam related today and just relaxing.

Stay cool and be confident in your answers. You got this!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone done the Cisco Design CCDA? I'm thinking about that one after I finish the Data Centre cert. I already have the CCENT done, so it should be one exam only?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

single-mode fiber posted:

Yeah, you just have to pass DESGN. You have to know a little bit less about R&S than would be required to pass ICND2, but you also have to know some extra stuff about collaboration, security, etc. It IS still just an associate-level cert, but it's not the easiest one of that class that Cisco has.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't done ICND2 and I'm kind of putting that one off because we don't use Cisco routers where I work. I suppose I'll have to bite it and finish it at some point, just to have it on my resume.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Cisco ICND2 scheduled for this Thursday...

Best of luck! Let us know your thoughts on it when you're done. I think I'm going to have to bite it and write that exam just to have it on my resume.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
From Lamelle's CCNA DC book. Is it just me, or is the second "any" after the destination host address an error? This is NX-OS specific.

pre:
Write an ACL to deny unencrypted web traffic FROM any source TO host 10.10.1.110
Nexus7k(config-acl)# deny tcp any host 10.10.1.110 any eq 80

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have CCNA Data Center? Im studying the first book, 640-911 now from Odom, a lot of severe and extreme overlap with CCNA.

Most Ive learned that wasnt about CCNA is Nexus Switches, which we work with in the office. Very similar to IOS, however, you can do network statements with a CIRD notation of /24 if you choose over 255.255.255.0 so to speak so it speeds things up a bit.

Also learned of the "where" command, big woop, and few minor things about VRF and that they have an mgmt interface. Also when dealing with Nexus the interfaces are just ethernet, no specification of the inteface like regular switches of fa0/1 or gi1/0/25 or whatever.

Other than that, feels very deja vuish.

I'm working on the same exam now with Lammle's book and feel the same way. I'm actually liking NX-OS over IOS. I really have to hammer basics subnetting back into my head, though. It's been over a year since I used it on the ICND1.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Does your book have any type of labs/labbing software, etc? Mine only has some practice tests.

There's a basic sim that I think Lammele made himself. I'll be happy to dig it up for you when I get back to Canada in a few days.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

crunk dork posted:

904/1000 on ICND1 that was so much easier than I thought it was going to be!

Great job! :yotj:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

A week worth of class. Decent amount of reading and subnet practice. The latter is still beating me up.

Reschedule the exam and practice until you know subnetting almost by memory. I wouldn't risk wasting the money because you're still shaky on any of the topics you're going to be tested on.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

I guess I should've put it as I understand it\can do it but I have problems doing math in my head. OSPF is only shaky in the idea that I might get a question wrong on which route it would take if given just a diagram without values, if that makes any sense in how I'm explaining it. Sorry for the confusion :( Tests make me nervous and this test is important to me.

No worries :) always keep on practicin'

The good thing about Cisco exams through Pearson Vue is that you can reschedule them as much as you want until you feel comfortable, as long as it's min. 48 hours before your scheduled date/time.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Lammle tends to be less toast-dry than Odom, but the material is good on both sides :)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone recommend a method or resources for practicing ACLs? NX-OS specifically. I'm having a difficult time memorizing the parameters.

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2015

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Race Realists posted:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/86634-dealing-cheaters-braindump-users-real-life.html

haha yeah gently caress THAT GUY I HOPE HE GOES HOMELESS

the gently caress is it with the people in this industry sometimes?

Whatever you do, don't read the Working in IT thread :smith:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

psydude posted:

Don't be a complacent half rear end like too many people I know. Get your CCNA.

QFT. Keep the train rolling while you still have a habit of doing your homework.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've already got a bachelors, but I have been contemplating going back for a BS in IT Security; my reasons would be:

1. It's a regionally accredited, non-profit online school. There might be more, but off the top of my head it's WGU and CSU Global that aren't for-profit online schools. I like the flexibility with online but am a bit wary of for-profit education. I'd never go to Phoenix, but even some of the smaller schools can be iffy.
2. You pay by semester, not by # of credits. If you're a slow student (not stupid, just a student who only wants to take a class or two at a time), this is probably a downside, but if you have the time, this is a gigantic cost savings if you can cram some extra classes in per term.
3. A lot of the undergrad IT programs have certificates built into the curriculum, meaning sitting exams for CCNA, A+, etc. is built into the tuition.
4. They seem to have a good reputation; regional accreditation is big (though not an end-all be-all) and their teaching program is NCATE certified and highly rated, which while not IT is pretty impressive to me.

Have any Canadians ever enrolled in WGU courses?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is anyone here a member of a professional organization?
Where I live we have the Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists. It's an annual fee to be a member.

Are these sorts of groups beneficial to have on your resume?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I just ordered the CCNA data centre 640-911 text book by Odom after going through my Sybex/Lammele book a few times. Will report on how effect they are if I pass :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Agreed! Routing in NX-OS is dead simple and pleasing to work with. I was surprised by how little there is to practice command-wise.

Quick glance through the Odom 640-911 book looks like he spends a very long time on classful subnetting, which Lammele seemed to boil down more efficiently. I'll be combing through it this weekend.

My old Cisco prof came to the rescue and gave me his extra set of Cisco press CCNA DC books (he works as a technical reference now and then). Happy about that because they're expensive and the DCICT text is a whopping 1000 pages thick!

e: phone postin

Yeast Confection fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2015