Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I kind of feel like an idiot because I failed the 70-648 (Upgrading MCSA to Server 2008) because I didn't realize there were two separate sections and you're required to pass both (I didn't pass the 70-640 section). I'd just like to ask, one more time, if anyone who has passed the 70-648 in the past has a good recommendation for a non-MS Press book? I've always gotten by just reading the MS books, studying the things I don't use through MS links, doing the labs, and from my own admin experience.

It's also just kind of embarrassing that I'm just now getting around to trying to finish the 70-648.

Also, gently caress Microsoft for not offering second chance vouchers for upgrade exams.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

BigT posted:

yeah i've read its boring....but is it still a relevant cert? I've read that its lost some of its muster, but people i talk to said, for whatever reason hiring managers cream their pants when they see it.

Personally, i don't really look at certs when i hire techs, other than differing between 2 close candiates, but hiring techs and hiring managers are two different beasts.

It seems to be on every supervisor/manager position listing I see. If you're going through a "technology recruiter" all they do is run through the stuff on your resume and try to match it apples-to-apples with the position listed so I'm definitely working on getting it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

For subnetting on the exams, I use the method here: http://www.quest4.org/ccna/subnet_cheat_sheet.htm

This has worked for me on Microsoft's tests and on my CCNA. It just saves me a lot of time. Maybe I'm just more of a visual person. For complicated subnetting in real life, you have to learn to do the math but the exams aren't real life and I'd just rather spend my time focused on more complicated questions.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is pretty awesome. I hate having to drop everything and then go to a testing center during their business hours to take exams. As a bonus, it will force me to clean up my home office (at some point in the future).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I feel the need to bring my Windows certs back up to date, starting from scratch just for my own knowledge and in the event that I need to find a new job in the next couple years. Is the current iteration of MCSA fairly standard again and most people still work toward the MCSE?

I was working toward MCSE in the past but stopped at MCSA because it was all I needed for what I've been doing for a long time (I wasn't required to get the MCSE so didn't see the point in the extra time and cost). What am I getting myself into, time wise, for self study assuming I'm working with Windows 10/Server 2012 R2 on a daily basis and I've been doing this for a while? What's the recommended line of books for these exams?

For people working as sys admins/managers in Microsoft environments, anything else you'd recommend? My CCNA lapsed but I work with Cisco products everyday and it wouldn't be hard for me to refresh myself so that I could get a pretty good score on a skills exam.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 21, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Anybody know what's replacing the current Windows 10 MCSA? Is it just going to be an updated version?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's not much in the OP about the ITIL certification and it seems like I need to get this on top of my 15 years of IT service experience, yada yada, management degree, yada yada, certifications, yada, and knowing how to speak to and do all the bullshit involved in ITIL....

:sigh:

Can anybody give me a summary of what I'm in for in order to get at least the ITIL foundation certification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Is there a commonly cited or trusted thread resource for CISSP study? I'm a moron who is about to swim in the deep end and want to know what I'm doing.

Get the Cybex book and accompanying practice test for the current version of the exam.
Watch videos by the people who wrote the book.

Study a lot. Make flash cards. Use flash cards.
Make sure you know the encryption stuff and the risk assessment formulas by heart forward and backward.
Remember that the test is written from a management level, so nothing is worth implementing if the risk doesn't outweigh the cost.