Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

A bit random, but I was going to schedule my Sec+ and was looking at the ID requirements for CompTIA testing and I have my drivers license ok, but it doesn’t look like they take the Social Security Card for a second form, so I pulled out my passport…and it’s expired.

The question is, does anyone happen to know if the expired passport will work for my second form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think they'll also except like a debit/credit card with your name on it as well.
https://www.comptia.org/testing/testing-policies-procedures/test-policies/candidate-id-policy

I hadn’t thought about credit cards having signatures on the back. I wonder if I tweeted at them they’d hit me back?

Edit: There’s a note a bit further down about how to contact them for ID questions. I’ll try that.

navyjack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 4, 2022

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Does anybody have a resource for really understanding the differences between the various “*aaS” schemes? Preferably with examples? I’ve gone over them and over them and be sure I understand them and then when I take a Sec+ practice test there’ll be 6 questions and I’ll get 5 wrong it’s making me crazy.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I’ve done the Professor Messer videos, but thanks for the response.

Cyks posted:

May also help to look up cloud certifications, as that is usually one of the first things covered by AWS/Azure material. Hopefully this link works

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/fundamental-azure-concepts/categories-of-cloud-services

Or post the question wording that you are having a hard time with and maybe we can help.

I’d have to go back and see the exact ones, but I had one that was playing a video game from anywhere which turned out to be Desktop as a Service, and another one that ended up being XaaS (anything as a service). At a certain point I feel like I’m just being hosed with. FUaaS :mad:

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Passed my Sec+ today. It was very hard and I was making GBS threads bricks the whole time, convinced i failed. Thank you Professor Messer and Jason Dion!!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Professor Latency posted:

Did it! Passed Net+ with a 784. The entire time I felt like I was getting every question wrong.

The Cram book by Dulaney was probably the most helpful resource. So much more information in that little book than the entire course had.

This was me with Sec+ last week. Would have sworn blind that I got 60% until I got done with that goddam survey at the end and got my score.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The best method, that worked for me at least, was the "magic number" method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jMFufqMgY

Quoting to find later.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cyks posted:

That's a good video but I feel like people stress out too much thought into subnetting , especially for the exams. I've seen bootcamps that dedicate a whole day to the topic.

You can memorize 2^n (2^n - 2 for host counts) ... or just remember /8, /16, /24 (which represent 255.0.0.0, 255.255.0.0, and 255.255.255.0), and repeatedly dividing 256 by 2.

That's all you need to know.

You have a 10.10.10.0 /27? That's 3 higher than 24. Divide 256 by 2 three times (128, 64, 32). Your network IDs are 10.10.10.0, 10.10.10.32. 10.10.10.64. 10.10.10.96, and so on until 10.10.10.224.

Your useable host count is -2. So for a /27 (which is 32), you can have up to 30 hosts. The first one is the net ID, the last IP is the broadcast. So in the network 10.10.10.32 /27, your netID is 10.10.10.32, your useable host IPs are 10.10.10.33 - 10.10.10.62, your broadcast is 10.10.10.63.

If you are given the subnet mask instead of CIDR notation, it's even easier. 10.20.30.0 255.255.255.128? Subtract the last non 255 from 256. 256-128 = 128. You have two subnets with network IDs of 10.20.30.0 and 10.20.30.128. Apply the same logic as above to determine useable hosts and broadcasts.

(There's two exceptions to the useable IP range, /31 and /32. IOS-XE has supported the use of /31 for point to point links for a while now, despite that the -2 to calculate usable hosts suggests it can't be done. /32 can be used for loopback addresses.)

edit- slight correction the quick host count only works for /24 and higher, anything lower you'll just have to multiple instead of divide. so /23 is 512 - 2, /22 is 1024 - 2, ect.

Quoting so I can find it again when I’m not half in the bag

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Ok, taking my network+ in a week and a half, after passing Sec+ in Feb. I have a pretty good grip on subnetting, ports, and cabling bandwidth. Any other areas where I should be sure to memorize for test day? Like did you finish and were like “ooh I wish I’d memorized the difference between EAP, EAP-FAST, and LEAP or some other dumb poo poo?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

The 802.11 standards in terms of operating frequencies, data throughput, etc. For the cabling stuff, be sure to know max lengths etc too as well as connector types for ethernet and fiber. Knowing basic differences between TACAS+ and RADIUS too helped too.

This was for the 07 though, but I imagine its still the same.

I’m taking the 07 on the last day it’s offered :haw:

Thanks for the tip!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Network+ tomorrow after lunch. Scoring routine high 70s and low 80s on Jason Dion tests which is about where I was when I passed my Sec+. Wish me luck!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Who has 00000010 thumbs and just passed Net+? 127.0.0.0, that’s who!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

I’m in the restaurant biz and trying to get my first IT job with Net/Sec+, so I’m curious as to what you’re initial path looked like to get your foot in the door. Helpdesk?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

The CompTIA certs are definitely entry level. CCNA is already more in depth and sets you up for your entry level network admin job, unless you're planning to take on more certs before applying to a new job.

If I passed Net+ without every having worked in IT and only done virtual lab networking, can I pass CCNA or is that going to require more hands on Cisco equipment to be able to challenge the test?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

have not been a fan of mike myers course at all. professor messer's boring, monotone and dense but his videos track the COMPTIA objectives pretty closely. Myer's has his own system for covering information that is completely unrelated to the A+ objective structure. His videos seem mainly focused on trying to teach you to be a decent PC repairman which is what A+ is supposed to do but doesn't really help you so much with an exam that's mainly focused on making sure you know every single adjective, and how many pins are on particular pieces of RAM. He's been really helpful actually at getting me to understand the way certain computer things work more than the other guys so I wouldn't say he's a bad teacher just one teaching a different course than what he says he is. I've actually found Dion's practice exams and super helpful and the part where he goes over PBQ's to actually be really good grounding for the multiple choice stuff too. Other than that I'm just rereading my ExamCram textbook which I really don't like but its too late and too much money to switch to a better one (The author will often forget about facts hes supposed to cover and will just cram it into a single sentence in a different paragraph. His explanation for GPT in disc formatting was just the ways it upgraded MBR without ever explaining what MBR was as a baseline or even giving me the full name. I actually would have been completely lost without Myer's explanation on the subject credit where its due.)

TL;DR all the A+ exam prep guys suck in different ways except for Dion whose only sin is giving me long rear end stories about him buying his children a tiny pie.

Messer is greatly improved by putting him on 1.5x or higher speed so he actually talks at a rate that humans normally communicate at.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

There is actually a fun acronym that is so good that I forgot it and now just know that port off the top of my head and don’t know why.

THIS is FOR The PERVERTS!!!!!!

navyjack fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 9, 2022

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Passed core 1 with an 800. Now to cram for core 2 tomorrow because I decided to do this in the stupidest way possible (both tests at once without researching edition retirement dates in a city with only one testing center only open on weekends run by a very mean man)

Doing core 1 on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I feel pretty good about 1, less steady on 2. Guess we’ll find out.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Everyone on reddit who talks about their scores seems to get a lower score on 2 than on 1. I had an anxiety attack during the test I'm having an anxiety attack now cramming and wish I had just restudied for 11 and taken my time.

I felt my soul leave my body during Net+ and passed it, so you got this

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

After all that I passed with a score exactly two points higher. I am a+ certified just under the retirement wire. I was much less confident going in then for the first one but once the test was going I thought it was easier (even though I scored almost the same so I guess not really) I guess my anxiety made me over-prepare.

Going to get so drunk tonight and not even look at a technical term until Halloween. Then updating my resume, looking for jobs, and figuring out what cert I should take next (while researching retirement dates this time).

Grats! Network + just retired iirc so you’ve got 3 years if you want to do that one.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Taking A+ core 2 in a couple hours. Anything I should dump into my brain?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

navyjack posted:

Taking A+ core 2 in a couple hours. Anything I should dump into my brain?

Reverse trifecta completed, suckers!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Has anyone taken the CySA exam recently? I decided to take the Udemy course and am in the process of taking practice exam.

I was wondering if it was significantly harder than Sec+

Relevant to my interests as well

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Got my CySA+!

I definitely did not think I was going to pass. I clicked finished test and thought, "well there goes $400".

I’m supposed to take mine end of summer. Would you be up for a PM to talk about what you saw and what you were surprised by. Any tips and tricks are welcome!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Sacrist65 posted:

Of course. I watched the Dion Training Udemy course at 1.25x speed and took occasional notes (30 hours). Then I got the sybex practice questions book and took the 2 practice tests at the end. I bombed them but I researched why the correct answer was correct and made sure I understood it (10 hours). Then I got the Dion Training practice questions module on Udemy and scored most tests in the 80s and researched why I got the wrong answers (12 hours). Then retook the tests and got 90s.

Hard unless you've worked in a SOC before. I hadn't but I had SEC+ (3 years ago) CCNA and some Linux background, although I haven't done formal it work. I barely passed. It's not impossible though. If you can get mid 80s on the Dion practice tests without memorization Id say you're ready.

I'd say get Sec+, Linux+ and maybe even pentest + first, since pentest + forces you to do the actual hands on part.

It's designed to be for someone in the industry for 4 years and honestly I don't think I'm better off with the cert since I don't have that experience yet.

Not sure where I should go now. Maybe CISSP? AZ-500? CISA? I live near the HQ of some big accounting/auditing firms but I'm really enjoying working from home

Ok all good info. I work in a SOC as an analyst now. I have some hands on with Splunk and some other standard analysis and automation tools, as well as IR, CTI, and threat hunter colleagues sitting nearby to ask questions. I’ve got Sec and Net+, as well. I’m mostly getting the CySA for something to do while promotions are frozen, so when they unfreeze, I’ve got something to show.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Susat posted:

I did feel like some of the questions on the Net+ were really badly written although I scored well above what I needed to pass. Though because they're supposed to test your working knowledge, I guess, and I'm still trying to find entry level work I may be at a disadvantage there.

That said, I've heard the PBQs on the security+ (Which I'm taking this friday) can be pretty hard. I got the one on Net+ that requires you to ping a VLAN'd network of computers to troubleshoot networking issues that nearly took me the rest of my exam to finish.

I thought the Net+ PBQs (in fact I think I had the one you describe) were harder than the Sec+ ones.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone taken the CySA+ exam? If so, any thoughts?

I have my Security+ but I think I'm going to sit for the CySA+ next, as it opens more doors for some govt work. The only downside is my background is data analyst, so a lot of this stuff is straight memorization. Doing TryHackMe and HackTheBox to get some practical experience.

I’m studying for it right now and it’s basically Sec++ as far as I can tell. I’m not too fussed about the hands on stuff, as I don’t think the test will lean into it much.

Excited to get my A/N/S+ renewed in one fell swoop

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Got my CySA+ today!! I’m up for an IRM position at work but there’s some competition so I hope it puts me over the top!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

Oh damnit, just discovered that CySA+ CSO-002 was retired YESTERDAY. Time to see if anyone has info on what changes the new test has before I schedule

My entire cert journey has been playing chicken with retirement dates. Sec+? Last day. Net+? 2 days before. A+ and CySA+ both with about a week to spare. (Yeah in that order I’m weird)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

Passed my CySA+ today. It had a lot of questions about how to interpret shell commands which I am definitely not strong at.

Yeah I was good with the analysis portion and I think I killed my 5 PBQs but the questions like “Here is a thing you want to do and here are 4 virtually identical Linux commands. Which one is right?” murdered me.

Still, a pass is a pass, and I got it right before I started interviewing for a promotion that I’m hoping to get good news on in the new year.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats!

My Security+ is coming up for renewal in the next few months. Any advice on the easiest way to renew that? First time I've dealt with Comptia renewal shite.

Get the CYSA or Pentest+. You get a new, higher-level cert and it automatically renews A+/N+/S+

lol I’m not even kidding that’s what I did. CySA+ is basically Sec++ so it’s probably easier than dealing with Education credits or whatever CompTIA makes you do

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My company is making literally ALL of the low/mid level security computer janitor dorks get the ine CC cert. Since I have my a/n/s/Cysa, can I assume I can proceed directly to the test? It’s like A+ level, right?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone pursued any AI certifications?

I've been around IT for over a decade and am not a huge believer in the business value (yet) but it seems the wind is strongly blowing that direction. I see Azure has a few AI certs. Might try their 900 version.

Ugh, I’m in the same boat. I figure having a couple “AI” certs on the resume will baffle the HR dweebs with bullshit and I can talk to the actual team like a human if I get that far.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

[/b]

I feel seen.

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

sporkstand posted:

Any recommendations for Security+ study materials? Both printed book format and online. Thanks.

Professor Messer has great free courses for the Sec+ on YouTube along with live streamed study sessions. I used his videos, Jason Dion on Udemy and some book that’s at home and I can’t remember the publisher.