Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I think that is why Dodge really took the right step in just using Cummins in their trucks, saved a big headache from another in house developed engine.

But it seems Duramax has also managed to get over the teething issues the GM 6.2 and 6.5 motors had as well.

the 6.0 and 6.4 were developed by navistar. the ford 6.7 is developed in house and is one of the best modern diesels available. the 6.2 and 6.5 were developed by detroit, and the 6.6 duramax is developed by isuzu.

Edit: cummins is currently having a ton of trouble with their highway truck engines, if that trickles down into the next generation of 1 ton cummins, dodge could be as hosed as ford was with the navistar garbage. Ford sued navistar for providing garbage engines, navistar conter-sued ford for developing their own diesel engines(which ended up in some land rover somewhere)

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that's a 92 at the newest and would have had the naturally aspirated 7.3 IDI, not a powerstroke. They were absolute dogs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My 12 liter diesel starts down to -27*C without being plugged in, i wouldn't be worried about a 2 liter. gas stations here switch to winter blend diesel in november, fuel gelling or freezing should never be a problem unless you go 3 months on a tank.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

VW seem to have some sort of fetish for this, I know there's a Passat I've seen where the 'service position' is the entire front clip slid forwards a few inches on a couple of rods, and even my Polo had something in the Haynes manual that was easier with the front end gone.

I appreciate it makes it much, much easier to get at stuff but it still seems like a ballache.

*E* Exhaust manifold! That was it, happily I never had to touch it.

VVV That makes so much sense. :aaa:

Everybody has their stupid maintenance items. Toyota/nissan v8s put the starter under the intake manifold. the FRS/BRZ requires you to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs. A ton of work on the 03-10 ford f-350s is a cab off job.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I think Powershift's dad tossed like 3000 gallons down his pipe over a hundred thousand miles or so.

13,000 gallons in 300,000 miles. nearly 50% of the price of a new truck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

You guys miss out on so many of the nice small diesel engines we have over here. I think many of our big trucks have bigger engines than yours too, biggest i know of for OTR trucks is 16.2-litre twin-turbo. (MAN TGX)

:saddowns:

The biggest we get are 16 liter, 600hp/2050 ft/lb I6s, even our 1 ton pickups are up to 400hp/850ft/lbs

edit: although, you'll probably be losing the higher horsepower engine options with the euro6 emissions, which is still less strict than the US EPA 2010 requirements. Euro 5 emissions allow over twice the particulate matter, and over 10 times the NOx emissions. Euro 6 is still about 20% more particulate matter, and around 3 times the NOx emissions. MAN doesn't even offer the 540hp engine in euro 6 spec yet.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 20, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

:allears:

If only I wouldn't have to cut both my frame rails, my entire radiator/grille, and most of my hood off my truck to fit one of those in. I was looking at N14s and was incredibly happy until I found out how goddamn big they are on the outside.

Speaking of which... diesel nerds and truckers. Please tell me what the gently caress I can get a 330hp tuned Cummins C8.3 out of, preferably with an SAE bellhousing adapter that fits loving something or other an Eaton Fuller RTX14609B would come out of. I have been trying to find a way to figure out what donor vehicles have that engine and it sure seems goddamn impossible compared to finding the same info for passenger cars and light trucks. And there doesn't seem to be any way to verify what power tune would be on a particular engine, so any chucklefuck can claim theirs is the one you want or whatever and then it shows up and has 250hp instead of 330.

The 480hp 1660ftlb 12 liter in my Mack is within 7 or 8 inches in each dimension of the 5.9 Cummins in my dodge. I've measured it out and it would probably fit. What would be more metal than a 12 liter 1 ton pickup.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

You have my attention. What's the model number on that 12 liter? Overall dimensions?

It's an AC 460p. overall it's 51" l by 48" t by 45" wide, but about 8 inches of the width comes from how the turbo is mounted, and probably 6-7 inches of the height is a dip in the oil pan that would go around the front axle of the dodge. You could crank a 5.9 cummins up to similar numers for less than a heavy duty engine + rebuild would cost you, but come on, 12 liters!

edit: that cummins titan makes me horny. Put that engine in a mid 60s lincoln conti coupe and you wouldn't be able to get me out of it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Only 500hp and 2800nm?

Scania's 16.4L V8 makes 730hp and 3500nm.

You think American truckers are brand-obsessed fanboys? It's nothing compared to the devotion Euro-truckers have for V8 Scanias.

That volvo engine in the mack is called the MP10 and is 605hp and 2800nm, in australia matching the euro 5 emissions standards it's 685hp and 3100nm because it doesn't need a DPF. Scania's 16.4 V8 is only Euro 5 emissions rated, the most powerful euro 6 spec is 585hp/2950nm. Even Euro 6 emissions are less strict on NOx and particulate matter than the US's EPA 2007 emissions regulations.

The greenies killed all of our fun, and now they're coming for yours.

kastein posted:

How wide where it has to go between the frame rails? I forget exactly what I have available but it's somewhere in the 28-32" range.

It's easily in that range. On the passenger side of the engine is an EGR cooler which you'd obviously be getting rid of that would give you another 6 inches, and on the drivers side are the oil filters that if relocated would free up probably 8 inches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-used-2006-Mack-AC460P-Diesel-Engine-ESN-5K3014-480HP-/310718943994

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 23, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The military spec half tips were 85-115hp. That's fine if it's in a lawnmower but don't expect to be climbing any Hills.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

my 7.3 has no problem starting at all.

Hell, the 12 liter in my mack won't turn over more than twice before firing at -10*C.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah, the glow plugs are new-ish and measure good, the glow plug relay tests good, and the batteries are both less than a year old and kept on a tender so they are fully charged. The more I look at other people who reported similar trouble the more it points to the starter just lacking the oomph to quickly get the engine spinning fast enough to get the (slightly more viscous) oil pressure high enough to trigger the ECU to fire the injectors. Once an injector fires the engine instantly fires up. This has been a gradually worsening problem for the truck over the last three years or so and I've noticed that it cranks noticeably slow compared to other 7.3s even in the summer, just I think the higher viscosity of the colder oil pushes it over the edge. We aren't talking cold-cold here: 45-50 degree nights and it becomes an issue.

I'll probably pull it at some point and have it bench tested because that's easy to do and free. Considering the starter is original and the thing has 260k on it I'm not shocked if it needs replacement.

This was at about -5*c, or about 23*f. Granted it's under 120k miles, and has about 5500 hours on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl2JdidR-Uc

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

Is this all fallout from Ford losing their diesel supplier years ago and they had to design an engine in-house?

International built their diesels since the 6.9. The 6.0 sucked, ford sued international, international replaced it with the 6.4, which sucked just as bad, so ford started designing their engine in house.

Ford had an agreement with international that said only international could build diesel engines for ford, so when ford started designing their own, international sued them for it. The contract expired on december 31st, 2009, and january 1st, 2010 the 2011 super duty came out with the Ford build and designed 6.7 which seems to be an extremely reliable engine.

The gen II comes out next year, they haven't said what the power level is going to be, but they said they reinforced the bottom end, went to a 5 layer headgasket, and put a big fuckoff turbo onto it to increase the power levels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was told the fuel rail on my mack AC460 runs at 40,000 PSI, so all the fuel lines and fittings post-injection pump is one time use only. if you have to pull the injectors out for whatever reason, you have to replace all the fuel lines and fittings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody needs to spend some time watching this. there are 4 videos, it's the diesel power challenge. So much torque on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoEQGai3KMw

This makes me want to dump a couple grand into that beater powerstroke and just get stupid with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Prepare to hate yourself.

They're STUPIDLY underpowered, even for the small ranger, and have some insanely high compression ratio that means there's really nothing you can do about it.

You'll get decent fuel mileage, but with a 30+ second 0-60, there's no reason to own one other fuel mileage. You will literally have prius owners tailgating, then rage-passing you while flipping you the bird.

• Locked thread