Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've got a 4 day weekend coming up this weekend and I've been struck by the desire to do some hiking and trail running. I don't want to deal with much if any snow, though. I don't have the gear for it. I live in San Diego and I want to do something that's an 8 hour drive or less away. Everything I've looked at seems pretty snowy, though. The best I can find is Palm Springs, but it feels a bit like a waste of a 4 day weekend to go somewhere only two hours away. Any other ideas for good trails in Southern California that won't be inundated with snow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have an upcoming solo backpacking trip and I am really nervous about it. The weather is going to be colder than I expected (high 30s/low 40s at night) and the only other time I tried solo backpacking, I turned back without even spending the night the first day, after hiking too many miles and hurting my leg. I really am not a sound sleeper even in optimal conditions at home. As the trip gets closer, I feel like maybe I like the idea of backpacking a lot more than I will actually doing it. It's going to get dark at 5:30 and then I will just be sitting in a tent for hours trying to stay warm until I get tired enough to fall asleep. Maybe I am just a perfect weather and car camper, and an avid day hiker. I guess that wouldn't be so bad.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 15, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for all of the encouragement. I'm going to do it, assuming it isn't raining. At worst, I have one terrible night and hike back to my car. But I plan to do the Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas and spend 2 nights out there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How good is your sleeping gear for that temp? if you are in any way nervous about it, grab a thermarest sleeping pad to double up on your normal one. they are light as hell, if bulky. Otherwise, make sure you have a hat or hoody to sleep in, and some thermal underwear and you'll be nice and toasty in your bag. I hate having to have my arms all scrunched up in my bag all night, so I wear my patagonia hooded coat in bed at those temps so I can leave my arms out for extended periods. Gloves help with that too, for the same reason.

You'll be fine, literally worst case is you have a lovely night, and then have all your gear packed away before first light and then have camp entirely broken right after dawn for an early start to the day.

I have a fantastic sleeping pad and pillow. All I needed was a sleeping bag. I just bought the Big Agnes Torchlight 20. I'm pretty tall and sleep on my side, and it seems like the bag is fairly roomy, so I'm looking forward to trying it out. I might also grab one of those flat foam mats to sit on during the day and to put under my mat at night. I want to have a good experience and I'm pretty fit at hiking, so I am not too worried about weight. My bigger concern is sleeping, so I am bringing all the comfort

blue squares fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 15, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I love merino wool. In my daily life I don't wear any underwear other than merino wool from Smartwool. I used to always be sweaty, itchy, etc with the slightest bit of heat