Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Just go around!" isn't always an option ;)

In my corner of New York I have very few options for hiking nearby, the entrance to one of my favorite trails is super narrow and just flanked by tall rear end plants. In Not-Summer it's just a mudslide for a quarter mile.

Also our eternal flame (not visible from this angle) is only accessible if you walk up a shallow creek/river thing

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had a pair of Vasque that I was pretty happy with for all of my day hiking here in the north east. I'm not sure exactly what model they are though, and they're no longer listed on Moosejaw either as I bought them 4+ years ago. I say had, because the shitbag on the green leash in my first photo just chewed them up last week :argh:

So unfortunately I can't really recommend anything specific, but yea I was happy with them as a brand at least.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^^drat! That's beautiful.

Nice fall day at Letchworth state park today. Cell phone pictures don't do it justice, but :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm so jealous of how mountainous all of you guys' regions are compared to my area :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd hardly call this "hiking" because it was such a perfectly packed dirt path, or even lots of pavement for parts of it, but I did a ~14 mile Niagara River gorge trail today that I've never done before.

It's so unfortunate the Canadian side is such a concrete & steel touristy hellscape. The American side is also pretty developed, but it's nowhere near as bad as across the border.

I've done the first mile of this trail many times, and then you descend down into the gorge along the river but then you're limited to only about a mile in either direction and then exit back up the gorge. This just stretches all along the river to the Falls. Pretty neat to get a different view of it all for a change.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got to hike a mountain for the first time in a few years this past week while visiting family :toot: nothing major - Mt Monadnock in New Hampshire:

Mega foggy when I arrived and just starting to get above the treeline:

Started to clear up while eating lunch at the summit

And for a few brief minutes it actually fully cleared :toot:

I hate how flat western New York is :'( so this was a real treat for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can't afford not to buy it at that price

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have the same issue with my Prana Zions.

My car has bucket seats and my phone/wallet just slide right out of those things. Awesome pants otherwise.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea but sitting down with poo poo in the cargo pockets feels weird. At least in my opinion it does.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Went to a new hiking trail for the first time in too long. They don't allow dogs so I've been avoiding it, but finally said to heck with it and went.

Anyone know what kinda mushroom this is?? I've never seen anything like it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That general region is known as Zoar Valley, in Western New York. Pretty cool place, pretty easy trails. Lots of small waterfalls, plus the main gorge that is walkable for various distances depending on how high the water is flowing. At least one or two people somehow die there annually though. Maybe not that frequent, but in the 8 years I've been here I've seen a handful of headlines.

It was pretty but I can't imagine adding it to any sort of list for someone outside of the area :shrug: Pretty nice for only an hour drive for me. If you found yourself in the region for whatever it's worth while though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Alamoduh posted:

I read it as “Deer Tick Conservation Area” and instinctively recoiled.

:barf:

xzzy posted:

I get it, just because it's old growth it doesn't make it postcard beautiful but surviving fragments are so rare they're worth noting. I'm not gonna go on a cross country trip to visit but if I'm ever in the area and want to get outdoors, being an unmined forest is a huge plus. They tend to have more character to them than first growth areas and for a dumb camera lugging nerd that's valuable.

The photos in google maps suggest it's at least a pleasant enough afternoon.

Fair enough! Yea it was a very pleasant day hike. Very well marked trails too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm so jealous of the elevation you people have :v: Went for a super early morning hike to try and catch the sunrise at one of my favorite vistas in western New York today. 40% Chance of Rain and it did in fact rain.

But that's ok it meant I got to watch some cool fog cloud roll in over the hills and dance around the trees.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread; flying into Salt Lake City later this month for 5 days. Going to hit up Zion while there. Obviously "the earlier you get there the better", but anyone able to estimate how early I need to get there for parking's sake and whatnot? I have never left the north east US before, so I'm quite inexperienced with "real" natural parks. Well, except to go to the UK but that doesn't count.

It looks like it's a 4-4.5 hour drive or so, I was planning on trying to get on the road by like 5 AM the latest :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmmm, yea maybe I'll have to find somewhere closer to sleep the night before. That's a good idea.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Admittedly it was an extremely impulsive/spontaneous decision to go on this trip, still figuring out what I'll be doing while there, hiking or otherwise. So I wouldn't say I had my heart set on any particular trail at all.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I went the budget route with my rental as air fair was a lot more than I expected, so I'll be getting a "Corolla or mid-size equivalent"

Tentatively:
Arrive Thursday afternoon, so some shopping to get my airbnb stocked
Friday hike all day
Saturday climb in Joe's Valley
Sunday hang around the city, then watch the World Cup for bouldering later that night

But I might swap Saturday's climb with Sunday's city antics, as I've been warned a lot of stuff is closed on Sundays entirely. And my old man body will probably want a rest day between hiking & climbing :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In Salt Lake City for a few days. Just wrapped up Mount Olympus, which was insanely gorgeous. My home is extremely flat so this kicked my rear end but it was worth it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My calves are absolutely dead today, the descent was brutal lol. I don't know if I could have done anything much harder than that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:shrug: I've always felt like going down is harder than going up. Seems like you'd have to realize "gently caress this" going up a mountain very quickly to know it's not feasible.

That last mile of Mt Olympus I did last week was far more miserable than everything before it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If you've got a bunch of water bladders to fill up, it seems fine. But the size & rigidity of throwing 3x 1gal water containers into a backpack sounds mega lovely.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread -

I'm visiting family in Massachusetts in September for a wedding. It's happening near Mount Greylock, which is the highest point in MA. I got the idea of visiting the highest points in MA, NH, VT, and ME while in New England for the week.

My concern is simply that I don't have much elevation experience. I've got a pretty solid base level of fitness -- I rock climb 3x per week (and try to bike the 10 mile round trip to the gym when I can), I do a sort of martial art 2x a week, and walk a handful of miles daily with my dogs. This past May I went to Salt Lake and did Mount Olympus, which is generally considered a strenuous hike.

I did it, but my body was loving broken for the next 5 days or so, so I'm thinking maybe Greylock, Washington, Mansfield and Katahdin in as many days might be unfeasible :v: But I was wondering what some more experienced hikers might think? If I start hitting the stair master each time I climb is 2 months enough time to build up that kind of endurance?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

You might be able to have some semblance of a trail leg if you did 2 months of heavy weight rucking. Throw in 25lb weight into a backpack and get to work.

When I go bouldering outside 0-1x/wk I have 27 pounds of crash pads on my back, then front carry my backpack with ~100oz of water, shoes, chalk, cameras and a guidebook. And it's 8 flights of stairs down into the crag, then however much hiking to the boulders themselves.

It's quite miserable :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

liz posted:

Holy gently caress, you got to these views in 45 min? Where is this?

I really really need to move out west already

:yeah:

Love/Hate lurking this thread lol. I'm on the wrong side of the country.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've got a "Devil's Hole" near me, although it's not a camping spot. Although it seems like there's lots of "Devil's Something" out there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Saw this cute guy while out with the doggos today!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Admittedly I haven't explored much of Alleghany, but I was a little underwhelmed the few times I've been. Maybe I just didn't find "the cool spots", but it felt very much just like "Yep, walkin' around in a big flat forest".

I'm like 2 hours north of it in western New York, which is also a dismally flat crapshoot when it comes to hiking options [despite what the locals will tell you].

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean, don't get me wrong there are some nice, peaceful, pretty spots here. They're just aren't many of them - so after living here for a decade I've seen them all quite a few times and I've wholly lost motivation to go on hikes because there just isn't anything new to see. And there is nothing for a challenging hike in the region.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh right. No I've mostly hiked Allegany, in NYS. Although I did poke around Allegheny in PA a bit too for some bouldering.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Someday I will do that incline, but I got work to do.

I feel kinda bad, a kind of cocky friend who lives at sea level is visiting and has never been in the mountains.

Love him but dude needed a reality check. Being a jogger at sea level helps but it isn't altitude acclimation. Still feel kinda bad though, I should have been more firm with the sunscreen.

I apologized with a pizza and beer.

Did he have zero experience with hiking anything with any sort of elevation? I mean I know you said he jogs a lot but like had he never hiked up something even once to know that elevation is just a different animal?

As previously mentioned I live in flat-rear end New York (like 5 hours from the 'dacks) and I knew I'd be in for an rear end whoopin when I went to Salt Lake last year. I managed to do Mount Olympus, although I was sore for a whole week afterwards. I climb, I bike, I hike, I'm in decent shape but I get no elevation in whatsoever throughout the year and was under no illusion that it'd be fine :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

incogneato posted:

I assume the 65F part was implying that he didn't feel like sunscreen was appropriate while it was cool. A surprising amount of people equate sunscreen with hot weather only.

I also love sun shirts these days. Doubly so because I burn very easily.

Isn't it all just more extreme at altitude because of the thinner air?

I mean I've gotten sunburned snowboarding in a t-shirt, I know it's not just a temperature thing but am I right that elevation also plays a big factor in when you'd use it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You've got a National Forest in western PA! I haven't hiked Allegheny much but I was doing a lot of bouldering in Rimrock there during the pandemic when the international border was closed and I couldn't just drive the 30 minutes into Canada for a closer crag. Pretty cool area.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread; any Adirondack recommendations? I kinda feel like you can't go wrong no matter what you choose but :shrug:

I'm not even sure where I'm staying. A friendly acquaintance is organizing a climbing trip somewhere the weekend of the 23rd this month but I still don't really have any details so I guess I'm just going to find a camp site where ever I can and then just drive to where ever we'll be climbing. That's only a 1 day thing but I'll be there all weekend so I obviously want to get some hiking in too.

Any recommendations for an easier hike that I could wake up early as gently caress for, do in the dark and enjoy a sunrise from the summit?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bloody posted:

I haven't been to the dacks this year (its pretty far from Seattle) but I practically grew up there and my parents summer there. As I understand it, it's been an outrageously wet summer, so bear that in mind for all activities - the Northville-Placid Trail, muddy at the best of times, is apparently just 3 feet deep in some places

That said, once you have a better idea of where you'll be, I can probably give more recs!

Looks like we'll be climbing in Keene, but a twist of plans has me carpooling instead of driving on my own so I don't think I'll be able to get in my solo sunrise hike like I wanted to :( We'll probably just hit whatever high peak is closest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

one of the few things i truly regret/would change about my life would be to have been a guide for outdoors activities when i was young.

The two times I've hired a guide for climbing trips I'm always just like, wow what an amazing way to make a living.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

I dunno I feel like if you're having to deal with the general public on a regular basis like that you'll be burned out quickly. I could see it as a fun side gig but not a regular thing

Yea I'm sure it's a total buzzkill when you have people who don't even know how to tie a figure 8, or just some general lovely people.
In general I'm just so burnt out on being a cubicle drone lately I've been idly fantasizing about every & any alternative career :smith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, flat-rear end Western New York is a bummer for me. I've been trying to find a fully remote gig so I can just relocate where ever I want but there's so much competition - especially so as companies are starting to really beat that "Return to Office" drum.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There are certainly some cool trails within 60 - 180 minutes of me;

I think what bums me out is there's just nothing challenging. And the options for things that aren't "just walking in the woods" are fairly limited so I get tired of the same couple destinations all the time.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm always happy that while Michigan is flat as gently caress, the Great Lakes do make up for it and the northern parts of the state have plenty of real forest and not just isolated woodlands in between farms. I will always recommend Isle Royale for a unique hiking/camping/backpacking experience. Its not the mountains sure, but its a very cool and unique place.

I've never been big on water, boats, swimming etc. so being on Lake Erie hasn't really enticed me at all :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Winter has been quite disappointing the last few years. We got 2 big storms last season on Thanksgiving + Christmas and I was out of town for both, by the time I came back everything melted and we barely got anything the rest of the season.

Although I definitely lucked out missing that Christmas storm :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hotel Kpro posted:

There’s generally plenty of advice in the IT thread on how to get started working in cloud related fields that are mostly remote and paying pretty good. No idea what your job situation or career is but as they say it’s never too late to start.

Yea I'm a programmer with 10+ years of experience and have poked my head in there a few times over the years. If anyone should be able to find that sort of work, it should be me but :shrug: no such luck. Honestly I think it's largely more an issue of my struggles getting a handle on my ADHD, but that's a topic for another thread