Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

bou posted:

i rarely sleep on the first night on a trip, just because of excitement overflow that keeps my thoughts running. After that it's sleeping like always, meaning, i awake at the slightest unusual sound.
I gud protector of cave!

Me too. After the first night I'm tired enough and also used to the silence again.

My friends and I got permitted to do JMT this summer in mid July! Mad excited, and excited for the snows in the socal mountains to melt so I can get back in shape.

Can anybody comment on the shoe brand Hanwag for backpacking boots? Found a pair clearanced so I'm going to check them out. They retailed $280 and were $90 on sale in my size which should be UK 8.5 as I wear 9.5US in hiking shoes. I hike in Merrell low to mids currently

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

blue squares posted:

I've got a 4 day weekend coming up this weekend and I've been struck by the desire to do some hiking and trail running. I don't want to deal with much if any snow, though. I don't have the gear for it. I live in San Diego and I want to do something that's an 8 hour drive or less away. Everything I've looked at seems pretty snowy, though. The best I can find is Palm Springs, but it feels a bit like a waste of a 4 day weekend to go somewhere only two hours away. Any other ideas for good trails in Southern California that won't be inundated with snow?

This past weekend the snow was down to 3000 feet, so good luck! Maybe parts of the Cleveland NF will be allright.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Manstrocity posted:

So I submitted an application into the Mt. Whitney lottery, hopefully I'll be going at the beginning of August with an overnight at Whitney Portal. I'll find out sometime in the middle of March, I suppose.

I'm in Southern California, so I've been preparing by trying to set fastest times on summits of San Gorgonio (via Vivian Creek), Mt. Baldy, Mt. Wilson (via Winter Creek), and San Jacinto (via Cactus-to-clouds). I know how to use crampons if they end up being necessary.
I'll head up to Yosemite when it's warmer and some of the roads open up again and do Mt. Hoffman and maybe some others.

Anybody who has done the Mt. Whitney trail with recommendations?

On top of the ones you mentioned I also did Baldy via bear canyon. I did the summit in mid September and there was no need for crampons. My friends and I actually didn't do Cactus to clouds in training, but we did it a month after we summited whitney because we were in good enough shape after that. It was still hot as balls in October. The worst part of whitney for me was the miles of downhill just being painful on my feet and knees by the end of the long day, even with poles. No training hike I'd done prepared me for that. Now I'm planning to do whitney again after doing the JMT this summer :dance: Time to get back on those peaks as soon as the snow melts....

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

soap. posted:

I want to take some of my buddies on their first backpacking trip. Some of us live in California, others in Colorado. I had originally thought that Zion would be a great midpoint, but we were hoping to bring dogs, and that isn't allowed. So, does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere dog-friendly between California and Colorado? Preferably with a sub-10 mile hike in.

I'll also throw this out there: Has anyone ever brought a dog to Zion? I don't know how strict they really are. I know it's a long shot but I've been dying to hike Zion...

Dogs are verboten on any national park trails as far as I know. I think it's rather strict. I have never seen a dog in Zion.

Look for "Wilderness"es and national/state "Forests" rather than "Parks".

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Going snowshoeing my first time on San Jacinto tomorrow morning! Super fresh powder from today's storms in SoCal, we could not have planned a better weekend! Just rented cheap/one size fits all snowshoes from REI for only 14 bucks. I'll be sure to post a report here after :)

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Snowshoeing is hard, we only made it from Palm Springs Tramway to Wellman's Divide, it was just beautiful out there on San Jacinto though:

Found these for $23 at the REI used sale today though so I'll probably be back for more:
http://pikimal.com/snowshoes/atlas-snowfall-21w-snowshoes-womens

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

i_heart_ponies posted:

Basically, on a well made pole (Read: NOT Komperdell or REI brand) they're not a gimmick and not anything you should feel like you have to avoid due to liability. If you can get a great deal on 'em go for it. Black Diamond is having their winter clearance right now, so they have a bunch of discounted poles from last season including the Alpine Carbon and Ultra Distance Z-Poles (also Carbon Fiber) for $105 and Distance FLs for $84 - none of which have shock absorption.

I'm considering those women's Distance ones now.. just under 1 lb, not quite as light as the ultra distances, but those are sold out in the moderate sizes which I could use anyway. Anything to be aware of on these? The folding super compact action is so awesome, I'm currently using really lovely cheap coleman poles my mom gave me for free when she got nice Lekis, so anything is an improvement, but I specifically want a pair that will be nice for doing the John Muir Trail later this year and other backpacking trips.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Any women have recommendations for day packs? My mom's looking to get one, possibly with a hydration sleeve, but wants it to be big enough for her coat and whatnot, so the REI flash 18 isn't suitable.

I like REI's bigger non minimalist version daypack the Traverse 30 - I've had an older model of it for over 6 years and no complaints, it can hold a warm coat or two, food, waters, etcetera for a long day hike (http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/rei-traverse-pack--womens). REI gear is one size fits all I think and will be the cheapest. Gregory packs are nice too, they have a Jade 28, but not sure what size your mom would find comfy without trying on stuff at the store. Honestly I'd encourage her to find her size/favorite brand fits at a physical store and buy it cheap online, or just to go to the next REI used sale event near her and beeline for the backpacks, there should be a few nice women's packs to choose from.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

My wife and her brother just started the AT yesterday (going for about a month at this point); it's weird knowing I won't get any updates on how they're doing until they head into town to pick up food. In the meantime I have to work and couldn't go :geno:

She hasn't done a ton of backpacking so I'm hoping the cold and everything isn't making her miserable, but I guess she can always bail at one of the towns.

If I'm lucky though this will make her want to come backpacking with me in the west later this year

She just started the AT without much backpacking experience?? That's crazy sauce! I hope it goes well for her and she falls in love with it.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Ehud posted:

Yep, that's exactly what I got!

I went on my second adventure today. Table Rock in upstate SC. 3.6 miles one way, so 7.2 miles total. The elevation raises about 2000 - 2200 feet during the hike.

Cyah later mountain!

That looks like a seriously fun hike!

I did Iron Mountain in LA yesterday. Yep, I'd believe that's the hardest single peak dayhike in socal on "trail". Went 7 miles in 7 hours on the way up, 5 hours on the way back, and I think I'm in pretty good shape. *hobbles away*

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ColdCock posted:

I use a Katadyn Hiker and a 100oz Camelback Unbottle. My Camelback has a shutoff valve and quick disconnect just past the mouthpiece that the filter plugs directly into. I cannot think of an easier setup. I don't have to take my pack off, or even bend over most of the time, to filter water quickly and directly from a source, putting it directly into my reservoir.

I just got a Katadyn Hiker Pro, I can't really figure out what the hose setup is supposed to be such that your dirty watered stuff is separate from your clean output, do you have to take the hoses off the filter each time?? It seems like they'd get stretched and worn out, and they were really difficult to squeeze on...

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Ninja Pangolin posted:

Greetings hiking thread,

I'm in the market for some new boots for a trip to MT and CO in July. I bought a pair of these three years ago for work, and they are fantastic, but they're starting to wear through and the tread got wrecked by the flat concrete floor at my job. I'm contemplating simply purchasing another pair; they're stupidly comfortable for any amount of time, but I haven't tested them all that much in conditions other than air-conditioned warehouse. Does this seem like a horrible idea?

Yes, get some breathable lighter summmer hikers that aren't 'work boots'

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

It's not unusual to require a gallon of water on hot exposed long dayhikes, it really just depends on you and the hike/weather. But if you're planning to be out all day, I'd at least bring 3-4L to be safe (if there's no water source on the trail)

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

One other question--which CamelBack/hydration system should I be looking at? I've read a lot of reviews about leakage on the new ones. Is 100 the standard all-around size or would a 70 be okay for day hikes?

A liter of water is roughly 2lbs, correct?

Something like this? http://amzn.com/B002QX3UJ2

I prefer the nalgene brand hydration system actually. The close cap is nicer/easier to get tight, the handle is easy to hold the entire bladder upright while filling, and the sip nozzle has a magnet on it and the other end slides on the sternum strap (or any other strap) of your backpack so it's not flopping or dangling around after you use the last shoulder loop for the tube you have, but secured while hiking, however easy to grab and sip from and drop back and it reattaches to the magnet, it's the perfect strength of magnetism, easy to pull off on purpose but it doesn't fall off... It's really a small awesome detail.
It's also 3L
http://www.hikerly.com/choosing-a-water-reservoir/

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

telarium4 posted:

Recently did the Grand Canyon:

and Monument Valley UT/AZ:

Oooh the Impossible Astronaut backdrop!

Rad pics! Was it still cold at the GC?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Lungboy posted:

I'm going to be hiking in Tuolumne with a shorter visit to Yosemite valley in August/September this year for the first time. Can anyone experienced with the terrain suggest the best footwear for the trip? It will be day hikes with a light pack, nothing too heavy. I don't want to carry full hiking boots if trail shoes will suffice, but I don't want to be twisting my ankle in trail shoes if things get too rough. Will I need full gtx boots at that time of year?

You'll be fine without full GTX boots.
I'm heading up to the East Sierra for the first peak of the season tonight, wheeeeee~ :sun:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I hiked Olancha Peak this past weekend, it was hard/the longest dayhike I've ever done. It's a high Sierra peak directly off the PCT but with no trail. It's one of the Sierra emblem peaks and its the first prominence you see driving up the 395 through Olancha, before you get to Lone Pine and see Whitney. Extremely steep summit, 1600 feet rise in 1 mile, no trail. Hiked sunrise to 10pm.

GPS: http://www.strava.com/activities/53908084

12132 feet

Good views:

Mt Whitney to the north

I'd certainly recommend this as training for Mt Whitney, possible overtraining. Camped overnight at the Sage Flat trailhead, perfect weather under the stars with no tent, it's technically Inyo National Forest and Wilderness so no permits needed. Nobody else on this trail, only sign of one PCT thru-hiker's footprints once the Olancha Pass trail met up with it.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I just bought the Tarptent Contrail I'm very excited. I live in socal, should I seam seal it?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Time Cowboy posted:

My friend and I are looking to do a couple day hikes in eastern Pennsylvania or Maryland this weekend, weather permitting. We already picked out the Pinnacle for one day, but I can't seem to find anything else in my guidebooks that sounds like a must-see.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a good hike between 4 and 10 miles long, ideally without too much elevation gain (no more than, say, 1200 feet total), with something really interesting along the way, like a great viewpoint or a unique geological feature or something like that. Oh, and it should be no more than three hours away from Trenton by car.

Right now the only options that seem feasible are Ricketts Glen and Pole Steeple (at Pine Grove Furnace). If anyone recommends against either of those, that's good to know too. Thanks!

Check out Cunningham Falls maybe if you want pools/slides!

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Has anybody experimented with making their own food bars and keeping them on the trail? I've got to ship myself resupplies before I do the JMT and they could be out there 2 weeks to a month before I get them. I'd like to be able to cut some cost and packaging waste Obviously no perishable ingredients in them like dairy or anything I refrigerate, but they've got oil and water in them, I'm wondering if that would impact how this fares as compared to say trail mix (similar ingredients just less moisture). Would one advise toward 0 water content?

Just check yourself for ticks daily, imho. That poo poo is a toxic chemical. I think it might be deadly to cats as well.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BleakLewis posted:

I've had good luck making bars with oats, and whatever nuts and dry fruit you'd like, a scoop or two of protein powder and then keeping it all together with sweetened condensed milk. Mix it all together and bake for a bit. Here is a base recipe that I go off of skipping the coconut and adding whatever I'd like:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Granola-Bars/Detail.aspx

I am not planning on baking these, but I wonder if that's the key to making them nonperishable? I am using similar ingredients but no condensed milk.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Verman posted:

I have a really close friend who lived out in California with her boyfriend. Both were in their mid 20s, in great shape and pretty avid hikers. They were out hiking Mt. San Jacinto in May 2009 and got heat exhaustion, and thinking that turning around and heading back was the best idea. He started either getting sick or blacking out and realized it was way more serious than they thought so he told her to run ahead for help. I believe she got a few miles down the trail reaching the parking lot and passed out the moment help arrived.

I think the temps were near 100 even with their 6am start, and they started to run out of water and rather than finishing the hike they talked to a passing local who advised them to just turn around. They followed his/her advice and started down off the trail. Her boyfriend sat down and realized something was up and they decided she would run ahead to get help. She reached the parking lot and got help before passing out. I think it was somewhere around noon or 1 when they found him unconscious.

She made it but spent several days in the hospital but her boyfriend didn't. The S&R reached him but by the time they got him off the trail he was apparently in arrest and died in the parking lot.

Its one of those things where you just don't take nature for granted and its better to carry too much water than not enough.

VVVVV - Agreed, my closest hiking buddies and I have a "wuss" rule meaning that nobody will think or speak negatively of anyone on the trip if we need to call it quits early for any reason. A lot of times groups of people, especially guys, can get competitive and feel like they need to prove something so they don't voice their concerns and can get themselves into trouble. Before setting out, especially with new people, we make it very welcoming for anyone to speak up about concerns. It generally leads to really good trips and a general group understanding that safety is the primary focus, which relaxes everyone and makes it really enjoyable.

I'm so sorry man, that's such a bad way to learn a lesson. :sympathy:
I believe you are speaking of the Cactus to Clouds trail which shouldn't really be attempted after dawn in the summer, or by anybody not in really good shape and carrying more than a gallon of water. It is not an officially sanctioned or maintained trail for this reason. And there's no water or shade for 6000 feet of gain and like 10 miles up from the desert floor to the palm springs aerial tramway unless you are lucky and a trail runner angel left a bottle at the halfway point in this one metal box. I did this hike last October, and it was still warm as balls at 5 am when we started hiking with headlamps, even worse after sunrise. Man nobody is gonna call your machismo out on heat stroke, if they are they are a dick, jesus christ. Good rule is don't hike with dicks :)

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 24, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I got my contrail tarptent in today and set it up in my backyard, it works fine with my shorter than recommended trekking pole, 110cm Z distance poles, from what I can tell I just have to cinch the front guy lines tighter.

1.5 lbs and I could definitely fit two friendly people in here if I wanted to. I seam sealed it so it should be fine as long as a huge thunderstorm doesn't hit us on the JMT

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

I feel like I should have gotten the Double Rainbow instead of the Fly Creek UL2, but whatever, not gonna complain about it now. The UL2 will work just fine and if I feel like blowing money I'll buy a Tarptent next year

My dad has the Contrail and used it on the JMT last year, and was really happy with it. He did get caught in a huge thunderstorm and it did fine according to him.

Silicone treated nylon seems to be the big thing for lightweight tents these days, and it's not really water "proof" in the sense that if you get hit with hard, driving rain, it will keep off most of the water but you'll get some "mist" from the bit of water that forces its way through the fabric. Doesn't seem to be enough to actually get you real wet, more like heavy condensation or something. Still, unless you're in heavy rain for days at a time, it shouldn't be a problem

edit: actually, he has the Moment, but still...

edit2: because I like looking through his hiking pics and everyone could always enjoy more hiking pics, here's a couple from the JMT last year

Lake Marie

Mount Banner over Garnet Lake

'Sup little Pika dude

Sweet, I'm less worried about my contrail now :D I didn't own any backpacking tents, I've always tagged along in my friends' REI half dome 2, but I wanted to invest in my own and I think $200 was a pretty good investment for 1.5 lbs!

Aweeeeeesome, so cute! I couldn't get a picture of the first pika I've ever seen last week on Alta Peak! Fast skittish bugger unlike the more courageous marmots.

And AWESOME pic of Banner peak I'm biased though cuz this is my arm:

I can't wait to be there in July!

ATP: Don't hike in jeans. Get a camelbak unless you want to be stopping removing and unzipping your backpacking constantly to open the water bottle and close it and put everything back on just to hydrate. Hiking in spandex workout/lifting pants is better than jeans. And seconding 1 or 2 pairs of GOOD synthetic socks is way better than 5 pairs of crappy cotton socks or whatever. I like teko brand, REI fine too.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 4, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

megazord posted:

Scored hiking boots for my wife and I at the REI garage sale this weekend. Also picked up a 65L pack for her and a kid carrier. Ready for our trip to Big Sur in a week. I don't care how heavy your pack is, I've got a 2-year old in mine and he moves around a lot.

Here's a picture from our trip to Sequoia a few weeks ago. Mostly easy trail to Tokopah falls, kids and grandmas were doing it. It was Memorial Day weekend and crowded everywhere else. It's amazing how many people shy away from a 2 mile walk and some rocky ledges.

Hey I was there that weekend too! Lovely weather though it was COLD at night!
But I went to Sequoia NF cuz the campsites in the NP were all full, and we hiked Alta Peak (and Big Baldy and Panther Peaks!)

Panther Gap

Alta

We saw multiple mule deer very close and the closest to a beer I've ever been right on the Alta Trail

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 10, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

Man that's not even vaguely as close to a beer as you should be :colbert:

Haha well that's a freudian slip if I ever saw one, I haven't had a drink for a couple months leading up to my birthday this weekend I must really be wanting one :sweatdrop:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm getting through my shopping and packing to send off my resupplies to spots along the JMT. Even packing very dense calorically waterless items (especially candy and nutella, no stupid dehydrated backpacking meals but couscous and knorr sides) I have no idea how i'll get enough energy per day fitting 7 days in a my BV500. Any advice?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

When you pack stuff into the BV500, poke holes in packaging and let the air out, then put a piece of scotch tape over the hole.

I'm pretty sure I've got the air out of everything but I will put everything in ziplocs vacuum sealed if I notice anything else.

Is there a magic number that leaves you able to climb at a comfortable pace but not get bogged down with food?
I'm sure it's very personal to each hiker but there's no way I could humanly pack what I'm going to burn off especially our last planned section, 7 days including climbing Mt Whitney at the end on the final day. Hopefully warm meals can be had on the first and 7th days if all goes well.
I've got 14000 calories (at least 2000 calories per day) in a 2 gallon bag here:

it should fit in my bear can with no problem, but 2000 a day is below my maintainence calories at home, forget while I'm hiking. (I'm a girl) I've burned 4-5000 on some day hikes. Is it just a given you will be hungry? This still seems like a ton of food right now, but I'm sure I'll just be hungry whenever I am not moving my feet out there.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

Don't forget that your first day's worth of food doesn't have to fit in the bear can.

This might help too: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/food-planning-for-multi-day-hikes-and-thru-hikes/

And this: http://andrewskurka.com/2010/the-5000-calories-per-day-wilderness-diet/

That is a good point, I'm not so worried about space now. I think I should probably aim for 2500 calories a day, so I'll throw some extra supplies maybe salami and toffee peanuts in there soon. I'm thinking a block of gouda will be with me to start the trail as well.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Is there a reason you packed it all in one big ziplock? I tend to pack food by meal in single, smaller ziplocks. That way it's easy to know what meal you have in your hand, and you can pack your can in layers by meal/day. I also bring tortillas, so those just all go in one or two large bags around the edge of the can.

I aim for 2500 calories per day, and I'd say most of that is in small trail snacks. I lose my appetite while hiking, so bringing tasty snacks as "filler" in between forcing myself to eat meals is ideal. I see a few tasty snacks in your bag already. There isn't really a magic number, it's all based on you. In general though, I expect to lose weight on extended trips; I always bring too much food so that I can eat whatever sounds good, rather than eating meals by a schedule; I always have left over food at the end of a trip; you can trade tasty food with people on the trail.

Have you done Whitney before? What route are you taking to Whitney? Depending on your route, the summit can be a very long day, especially after taking 6 days to get there. If you can, you might want to squeeze in a night spent part way down the mountain, like outpost camp, and hike out the final few miles the next morning. Just some friendly unsolicited advice from someone who attempted it last year :)

Oh it's just all in the bag for organizational purposes right now, I'll organize it by layers of days when I arrange it all in my bear can after resupply. We're going to ship these buckets of food to the resupply points soon. I've got snickers, beef sticks, white chocolate, protein bars, trail mix with peanut m&ms, sour gummies in there, not to mention almond/peanut butters and tortillas and ramen and couscous. I definitely tend toward the snacking style too, I feel lethargic and nauseous if I try to hike 'full'. I won't lie I'm looking forward to shedding a few pounds on the trail, but I do not want my performance to suffer and to be lagging on the passes - we don't really have any zero days planned.

We're taking the JMT South, Yosemite to Whitney. I did Whitney last summer in a dayhike from the Portal at 3 am, I reckon starting from guitar lake will be easier. When we're heading down and out after over 2 weeks on the trail I'm sure we won't want to stop and camp - eyes on the prize (burger and fries at the Portal store)

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Levitate posted:

That's pretty weird since I've read in places like the Sierra's, bears have started learning they can't even get into the bear cans and won't even try anymore if they see one. Hanging a bear bag on the other hand can be easily figured out by bears who have even learned how to send their cubs up trees to knock them down.

Maybe there's multiple sides in this but I'd at least be interested in why they don't believe in bear cans. Only thing I can think of is in Yellowstone, you have a lot of large grizzlies and it might be harder for them to get to hung bags, and you also have a lot of tall trees, making it easier to hang a bag. In other places, once you get above the tree line it can be pretty hard to find a place to hang a bag effectively

It's illegal not to bear can in most of the high Sierra, there are small sections where you can hang legally and I believe it's in the more backcountry areas where less bears have been rewarded by food anyway so they are trawling campsites less. Many places there aren't many tree branches high enough to hang anyway... I heard one bear learned to roll bear cans off of cliffs to shatter them at the bottom, but mostly they will not even try because it's too much work.
I can't speak to yellowstone, but a quick googling seems to indicate they provide hanging poles and prefer that method or they provide bear boxes. Perhaps indeed those bears have learned ways to get into MOST bear canisters. I don't know how they could get into the BV500 because I can barely get it open without fingernails, but that's not the cheapest/heaviest model of rental bear can in my experience (this one: http://www.campmor.com/backpacker-bear-resistant-food-container.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=14097&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=)

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes and some trekking poles a couple of months ago. I have water-proof boots but I bought the trail shoes because I wanted to switch over to something lighter and breathable.

I found out today that the trail I'll be hiking on is going to be 'extremely wet & muddy' because of melting snow. I want to use my new shoes and walk in something lighter but extremely wet and muddy sounds like it'll be a nightmare for me. What would you guys do in my shoes(hurr)?

Go with boots.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I'm very excited by this so I have to share somewhere among those who would care, my backpacking base weight (minus food, bear can and water) is under 20 lbs! Very exciting to only have to carry maybeeeee a 30-35lb pack during the toughest stretch of the JMT next month :dance:

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Anathema Device posted:

Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone!

I pretty much always try to go somewhere pretty to hike. It helps that I absolutely love deep woods. My hiking partner has a nice camera, and we make a game out of finding good things to take pictures of, which also makes built-in rest points. There's three state parks we can reach to hike easily, so we try to mix it up.

My mom is really into winter hiking. I snowshoed quite a bit as a kid. Right now it's not just the snowshoes - I'd need decent winter boots, pants, a decent jacket, long underwear, etc. I'm working up to it, and within the next couple years I'll have all the stuff I need, but it's all really expensive. I'm going to try to hike as far into the fall as I can this year before the snow and ice get too dangerous.

I do carry my pack with all the essential items in it for my short hikes, with the idea that I'll be used to it when the hikes get longer. It also makes me feel better to have my first aid kit nearby since good hiking trails and cell phone service don't have much overlap here.

With the goal thing, I was specifically asking if anyone has posted in The Fitness Log Cabin with a hiking goal, and if so how they set that up.

Number of peaks reached seems like a good goal, but I've yet to actually climb to the top of something I'd call a "peak." I did as a child - my parents were into hiking - but since I gained a bunch of weight and got out of shape I've been struggling to get back into it. I'd love to reach the actual top of an actual mountain this summer. I guess that in itself is a goal.

Make reaching that peak near you a goal. Then do the necessary training to work up to that hike. I have a log and while I haven't set a toxx on a peak goal, I could have last year before I started training for Mt Whitney but I was allowed to go toxxless at that point. I'm curious where you live, it might help inform a toxx.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Anathema Device posted:

I'm not really comfortable saying where I live or broadcasting my future hiking plans for various reasons. On top of that, I bounce back and forth between where I go to school and the area I grew up in, and I don't know where I'll be around the middle of august when I intend to set my first goal.

Thanks for linking to your thread, that's very inspirational. Hiking last summer was the first time in my life I've ever actually enjoyed exercise. It was really empowering realizing that I could do something the hard way (by walking there instead of driving) and enjoy it.

What I'm doing is looking up the hikes I did last summer. As training hike we did (several times a week) a hill nearby that was a 2.2 mi round trip with a 400' elevation gain. I think I could do that today if I pushed myself really, really hard. We tried and failed several times at trail that's a 5 mile round trip with a 1400' elevation gain. I'd really like to beat that one. Since I don't know if I'll be in the same state as the mountain, though, I'm thinking of using the stats as my toxx goal. (As in, hike 5 miles or gain 1400' in elevation in one hike.) I'm just wondering if that increase (more than doubling the distance) is going to be too hard for a two-month goal.

How do you guys decide when you're ready to try a new or challenging hike? I see you planning multiple day backpacking trips or doing big peaks. How do you know where your limits are? What do you do if you get partway in and find that you can't do as much as you thought? If you're bringing less experienced people along, how do you judge when it's safe?

Doing something like that, any hike based on those statistics, should work for a toxx goal.
You can do it easily if you keep training, especially if you're not setting a time goal - just go slower and take rests and you can do anything in less than a day...

Yes, just do some sort of cardio weekly and you can increase your hiking ability. For my friends/newbs to hiking I was taking them first on a 3 mile 1500 foot elevation gain hike, then a 6 mile, 2200 foot gain hike, etc.
You turn around if someone is feeling bad and starts to feel worse. You tell them what to expect and what things to look out for. Safe is a relative term, but generally you're not going to get heat exhaustion or hypothermia or run out of food water on a day hike if you planned even remotely well and you know the warning signs watch for weather turning, etc.
Always tell someone staying at home what trail you are planning to go on so they know if you aren't back that night to phone rescue. If you're not out too far in the wilderness you may have cell reception the entire time.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an odd question about Everest.

If you theoretically had unlimited normal oxygen, are you still on a "timer" once you hit the death zone because of other effects of the altitude, or are your only hazards things that would kill you anywhere else (cold, food, etc)?

I think it does weird stuff to all of your body, like your brain, lungs, liquids like even your eyeballs can freeze.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

You gon' die. Stay out of the desert this weekend.
I'm going to San Gorgonio and a friend is going to Mt Abbot.

ETA: I'm being hyperbolic of course but please be careful, and if you can delay your trip with friends please do it on a less insanely hot weekend.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I love trip reports! I escaped the hundred degree heat wave yesterday on the highest mountain southern california

Took the momyer creek trail to San G, its an over 26 mile round trip route with 7000 feet of gain, as opposed to the much more crowded/popular viviam creek trail route which starts at higher elevation and so is much shorter.

Summit with just repainted/varnished sign. The peak was so crowded, never seen so many up there, vivian creek must have been very crowded. Good day to be up so high I guess!

wildflowers bloomin

Plummer Meadows I think

Pale swallowtail at one of the three running water sources on trail

Sunset over Mill Creek

Tons of people past that trail junction, almost nobody on the same trail we went on all day. Hiked before dawn to dusk, lovely 70 degree weather, maybe 80 at the most. Eat that, heat wave!

Longest distance day hike I've done so far, ended up with some blisters. I'll try liners and changing them/socks mid hike next long day. I think the big one on the bottom of my pinky toe that's unopened I have to open myself so it can heal before my next hike in 5 days.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 30, 2013

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This is a question I had after reading some of the simple frommers guidebooks for the midwest national parks. Every park from canyonlands to grand canyon to arches all say "hiking is strenuous and difficult" etc. Its freaking my wife out who gets paranoid about these things and I dont think it is nearly as bad as they might make it out to be.

What are the things we should prepare for if we hike in Utah / Arizona in early August? Presumably water is the biggest thing. Does anyone have any feel for the actual difficulty of most day hikes in that area? (needles, fiery furnace, bryces, zion)

Unless you're heading high into the back country from the main zion/bryce canyon trails I don't think you will probably find much that's honestly strenuous. Water is definitely an issue, and heat, but most well published trails in those parks are probably easy to moderate touristy loops. Grand canyon could definitely be strenuous, if you did rim to rim or something.
I can't speak to the other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

MMD3 posted:

on the topic of tents...

I'm not in any rush to buy a new one as my old North Face Talus 23 is still holding up just fine, but...

I'd love to find something that is much lighter for backpacking (talus is ~6.5lb), and would be a little larger for my girlfriend, myself, and our dog.

We recently picked up his/hers REI camp-bed pads and even though we wouldn't be carrying them backpacking and have lighter pads for that it'd be really nice to find a tent that's large enough to accomidate two of these monstrosities side-by-side for car camping. The dimensions are 72x25 each so we'd want something at least 50" wide.
http://www.rei.com/product/778152/rei-camp-bed-35-self-inflating-pad

Does this push me into 3-person tent territory or can I find a 2-person that should work alright? I was looking at the Fly Creek UL2 a while ago and while it looks like it is 52" wide I just couldn't tell if that was realistically wide enough to get these 3.5" high mats in side by side without pressing against the walls too much. I also typically like to keep a good amount of my gear in the tent with me just for safe keeping but maybe I should just get more comfortable keeping everything in my vestibules.

I suppose the alternative is that I buy a UL 2-man for backpacking and then worry about getting a slightly larger car-camping tent down the road, I just thought it'd be nice to kill two birds with one stone.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html or http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
perhaps http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html which is also 52" but can widen to 62" (loses height).
All have lots of vestibule room for dog/gear and are under a few lbs.