Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So I typically have only done 1-2 night trips in familiar places so I would just carry dry food and enough water. In the spring, I'm looking at longer trips and I need a stove and water filtration system. I'm looking at Jetboil, but I've heard the fuel is pretty expensive. I have no idea about water filtration, so if someone could make a suggestion, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I'd appreciate some suggestions on sleeping pads. It's a bit overwhelming with all of the choices, especially with all the similar names in the Thermarest line. I would like something packable and light, used for 3 season backpacking, and in the 40-80 dollar range. I see that the Trail-lite is available for about 55-60 at most places so that is at the top of my list currently.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Picked up an MSR MiniWorks for 55.00! It's a "lightning deal" right now on Amazon. Sure beats the 90.00 price tag at REI.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Does anyone have the Sawyer Squeeze? I've been thinking about picking one up. Seems like a pretty neat system for 1-2 people.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
What about BEARS ON METH??!

We should really be watching out for those.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Kaal posted:

They're still around, particularly in Southern Oregon, only they're loving massive now and run by the Mexican cartels. They have guys who will trek out all sorts of agricultural water piping and set up a semi-permanent camp, and if they see you heading in their direction then they'll send some guy out to meet you and tell you to turn around. Trimming season has become a relatively common source of high-school income for local kids of the suitable disposition. It's loving dangerous really, and it really makes me wish that marijuana was legalized, but they also know that few of the folks who are wandering around out there really pose much of a threat to their organization.

When I worked for the USGS a few summers ago, we ran into some sketchy irrigation lines and a bunch of trash in the Malheur National Forest. We immediately turned around and reported it to the ranger's office. It was spooky.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I just bought a Thermarest Trail Scout and really like it so far. It's a little heavier than the more expensive pads, but for 50 bucks, you can't beat it.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

God I hate this website sometimes. A quick look at your post history in this thread tells me you are exactly the kind of REI'ed out human being shithead I startle out in the woods. Don't assume I'm out for the same purpose as you. Do me a favor and go back to weighing your underwear or vacuuming sealing your dog's food or whatever.

Everyone else, thank you for answering my admittedly basic questions. The pumps are probably a better all-around idea than the straw, and I like the what I read of the Fiskar hatchet a lot, although I'd rather have something that I could replace my machete with, and also batons. I spend a lot of time grappling with getting to the small streams I'm interested in, especially in the lowlands, as we have a bad problem with Himalayan Blackberry on the west side of the Cascades. As far as the tent, could I get away with this Coleman? I'm only going out two-three times a year with my family, the rest of the time I'd be out by myself and would rather just use a hammock.

I would recommend the Sawyer Squeeze Mini. You can find it for about 20.00, it's faster, lighter, and smaller than most pumps. I love mine and I used to have an MSR Miniworks which didn't even compare. It's also super adaptable, you can hook it up to a regular water bottle to drink straight from, or you can put it inline with a camelback or something similar. Check it out.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone have opinions about the REI Quarter Dome 2? It seems a bit heavy, but my girlfriend wants to start backpacking with me, and I have a Spitfire 1, which barely fits me. The quarter dome is on sale right now so it's tempting.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So I'm headed to Utah in early May and am planning on spending 2 days in each of Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands. I know that you could spend weeks in each one, but I'm just doing a tour. That being said, any good recommendations for fun, 1-2 day hikes in any of them?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

I just did this, and two days each is not enough for some while more than enough for others.

Zion: If you want to bag the essentials that's all well and good, but you miss half the park. I'd recommend taking the extra time and effort to do a Narrows top down (one day or overnight) or the West Rim with Angel's Landing at the end (can easily done in a day, but campsites are available). It helps get you away from the crowds and really see some natural wonders.

Bryce: One of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. That said, you really only need one night here. The trails along the rim and down into the amphitheater takes just half a day, and the rest can be seen by car.

Capitol Reef: You didn’t mention it in your list, but be sure to drive through here on you way to East Utah. There’s no admission and pretty much everything can be seen from your car. I wish they had more hiking trails, but sadly it mostly seems geared toward off-road vehicles.

Arches: I’ll preface this by saying I’m willing to give this park another chance, but it was the worst camping experience I ever had. Everybody seemed to be there just to take pictures with the arches, there’s no backcountry to speak of, and campsites are ridiculously limited. I also managed to camp next to people blasting music in their car until 2am. I would have chalked it up to bad luck, except a different group did the same thing the next night. All in all, the vibe seemed pretty off in my opinion. If I were to do it again, I would recommend doing one of the few longer trails such as Devil’s Garden or the Fiery Furnace (though be careful not to get lost). Still, this is another park that probably only needs one night.

Canyonlands: My absolute favorite park in the country. The first thing to recognize is that it's technically three parks in one, all accessible from separate regions of Utah. The first is Island in the Sky, which you will probably go to before Arches. It is a plateau rising above the rest of the park with vistas to rival the Grand Canyon. It would be great to stay here during a full moon to see the landscape, or a new moon to see the unbelievably starry skies. Hiking is sadly limited, but try the Grand View Trail to really take it all in (and expect to see at least one tourist climbing on top of Moab Arch). The second portion, situated to the south east, which you probably want to go to after Arches, is the Needles district. This is some prime backcountry that is relatively uncrowded with surprisingly fun trails. I visited Druid Arch by way of Squaw Canyon and Elephant Hill and highly recommend it. I would live here if I could. The third district is the Maze, and it’s mostly for off-roading. If anybody knows any trails there, I’d love to know.

I think that about covers it. The whole trip convinced me Utah may be the most beautiful state in the union, so you’re bound to have an unforgettable experience whatever you do.

This is awesome, thank you so much!

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone ever hiked Mt. St Helens? My buddy got permits for August and wants me to come out.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I just got back from 8 days in Utah and hiking/camping in the five national parks. Angels landing was incredible! Slot canyons are a lot of fun too. I can't wait to get back.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I'm going to be in Yosemite in early September (5-9) for 3 nights and 4 days. What are my odds of getting the Halfdome permit on Tuesday or Wednesday? If impossible, any recommendations for some other long, exposed hikes?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Hm, what an odd graph. It looks like they handed out about 50 permits (1st choice) out of 1000 applications for each day. I'm looking at 2 different days and both my fiancee and I are applying so that's like, not awful odds I think?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Headed to Yosemite for 3 full days in early September. We're planning on Clouds Rest one day. What other good moderate to strenuous hikes would you recommend? We want at least one day in the valley.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just got back from a few days in Yosemite and thanks to whoever suggested Clouds Rest. That was one of the coolest hikes I've done, hardly any people out either. It was fun seeing everyone standing in line up Half Dome.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions for my trip out west. I have several ideas now.. Question about Angels Landing, is it really that bad? I do have a fear of heights, but I have repelled off a 40 foot tower in the Marines, I have done trails with steep drop offs, and climbed some rocks at summits (like the Chimneys).

That said after watching videos of Angels Landing they were nothing like that (not even close). My issue with heights is this. If I feel like I have a safety feature (for example a rail or cable to hold on to, or a border like a waist high wall) I am mostly ok. It is when I feel unsupported without the aid of any safety feature that my mind becomes my worst enemy. I can get vertigo if I'm not careful. To be honest I actually get vertigo when someone in my family goes to an edge without safety features or if someone is behind me when I look over an edge. I really want to do Angels Landing (it was exactly the experience I was looking for), but I'm not going to lie I am worried about it. That said I am the type once I start I will not turn around. Even if I have to crawl.

I don't think you can predict how you'll react on angels landing until you actually start out on the ridge. That being said, I was more excited than scared when I did it, and there are only a few 10-20 foot sections that have no protection and are sketchy. The trail is actually pretty slippery in spots from the sand so wear good boots. The scariest part is all of the other dumbasses who are wearing sandals and dragging their 5 year olds up. I don't know when you're going, but hit the trail as early as possible to avoid the crowds ( seriously, start before the sun comes up). But most of all, enjoy the views, it's incredible all the way up.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

The part at 6:25 was my favorite. I remember hoping that no one coming the other way would push me to my death.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Any suggestions on a two night backpacking route in Shenandoah next weekend? Looking for a 3-5 mile Friday, a long Saturday, and a short Sunday. How's the weather in April? Bad enough to keep the crowds away?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Zion was amazing. I also hiked Red Hollow in Orderville which was really, really cool and a nice change of pace from being around so many people in Zion for a couple days. I didn't see a single person in Red Hollow and spent a few hours there. Hopefully, you're driving to Moab via Escalante? It's an awesome drive.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

liz posted:

Heading to Yosemite next week, any recommendations/tips?

Clouds Rest. Best day hike I've ever done.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Any recommendations on a good looking pair of hiking pants? I'd like something that zips off/rolls up, dries quickly, and that I could wear around town/not too baggy.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone ever go trekking in Nepal? Thinking about planning a 7-12 day trek in October and November and I need some inspiration or suggestions on where to start

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I really enjoyed Everest Basecamp. Back then you had to fly into Lukla, but from what I understand there is now a road that gets really close to there that you can hike in from. Everything past Lukla is amazing. Takes about two weeks, but will be crowded in October and November.

Yeah I looked briefly into EBC and Annapurna but I think I would like something with a lot less people. I started looking into the Langtang Valley, which was obliterated by the earthquake but is finally starting to come back. I'm just a little worried it wouldn't be enough of a "Himalayan Experience".

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
A couple friends and myself are planning a 8-9 day trip to Banff/Jasper in mid-late July and need some advice. The plan is to set up camp for 3-4 nights in each park and hike each day. After doing some preliminary reading, I'm worried that Banff is going to be too crowded and crazy. Can someone compare the two parks and recommend some good hikes in each one? Long hikes are fine as we're all experienced in the back country.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Thank you so much for this. I'll definitely check out the other thread. Any provincial parks you absolutely recommend in the area?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone have experience backpacking in the Tetons? Specifically - the Teton Crest Trail. I'm gonna shoot for an early September permit with the following Itinerary:

Night 1 - Marion Lake
Night 2 - Basin Lakes area (outside the park)
Night 3 - North Fork Cascade Canyon
Night 4 - Holly Lake (going to stay at Grizzly Bear Lake)

Hopefully I get the spots and no smoke and no snow.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I was one of the lucky few to snag my ideal itinerary for the Teton Crest Trail next September! Super stoked to spend 5 days in the Grand Tetons chilling with some bears. Just gotta work off this holiday weight between now and then.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just got back to civilization after 5 days on the Teton Crest Trail. What an incredible experience. We really lucked out with amazing weather and no real haze to speak of. We had permits in Death Canyon, Alaska Basin, North Fork Cascade, and Upper Paintbrush and each one of our sites was absolutely incredible. Saw tons of mule deer, a pack of pronghorn on DC Shelf, a thousand marmots, 3 moose, 2 bear, and heard coyotes every night. I'll try to upload photos in a few days but now to crush some beer and pizza!

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Finally getting around to posting about backpacking the Teton Crest Trail in September with my wife. We were lucky enough to snag my preferred itinerary for a 4 night, 5 day trip on the TCT. We entered via Death Canyon and exited at Leigh/String Lake. Camping zones were Death Canyon - Alaska Basin - North Fork Cascade - Upper Paintbrush.

We flew into SLC and headed to the Sawtooths to hopefully avoid the Labor Day crowds in the National Parks. Idado was super smoky at the time but somehow, there was hardly any smoke in the Sawtooths. We ended up disperse camping for a few nights outside Stanley and then went on a small hike up to Alpine Lake which may have been one of my favorite parts of the trip.

From there we drove through Idaho and stopped by Craters of the Moon (pretty cool) and EBR-1 (also pretty cool) before spending a few nights in a hotel in Jackon to get organized. We started our 5 day backpacking trip in Death Canyon.

We ended up camping at the upper end of Death Canyon and saw a moose and a few mule deer during the day which was pretty cool. From there, we headed up Death Canyon Shelf which was spectacular.

We crossed into Alaska Basin late in the day and set up camp next to Sunset Lake.

The next morning we headed over Hurricane Pass, down South Fork Cascade, and to the upper part of North Fork Cascade.

This was my favorite camping spot of the trip. Next to a cold river to soak in. Also had 3 black bears in camp at one point.

The next morning we hiked over Paintbrush Divide which was brutal and set up camp in the upper part of Paintbrush Canyon before heading out.

The TCT is definetly a once in a lifetime trip and I'm super stoked we got to experience it. The weather was amazing and there was very little haze.

Afterwards, we chilled in Jackson for a few nights to eat, drink, and sleep in comfortable beds. We headed to Yellowstone then for 4 nights which I might do a seperate write up about.

10/10 would do again.

marsisol fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 18, 2022

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I was warned that backpacking in Lofoten, Norway is tough because "its so steep". I was prepared for steep but I was not prepared for class 3 and 4 scrambles, scary exposure, and ridiculous route finding and bushwhacking on the single flat mile over a 3 day trip. My quads have never hurt so bad but that was the best trip and the most amazing scenery I've ever seen. Totally recommend.

Also no bears (or any animals really) or ticks was a great bonus.

Edit: also it's really hard to sleep in a tent when the sun is up for 24 hours all day every day

marsisol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Hitting up the W Trek in Chili in early April. Has anyone here ever done it? Just looking for some general insight as we've already booked our nights (west to east over 3 night/4 days).