Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Verman posted:

My first week long backpacking trip a few years ago was with a 45-50 pound pack. Now I float around 30 pounds with food and water without having spent much money.

Now that I'm getting into mountaineering all that weight is going to quickly creep up again with heavier boots, crampons, helmet, ice axe, harness and ropes etc but that's a whole other beast with different needs and gear.

I learned an important trick for dealing with this from a very experienced and wise mountaineer the very first time I went winter climbing. If you take a 15l sack that barely fits your lunch, helmet and crampons, you can get your newbie climbing partner to carry all the gear and ropes and tell them your pack is full and anyway it's good training.

Have to say I didn't appreciate it at the time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Good inflatable pads are great. Lighter, less bulky, more comfortable and warmer than foam pads, the only downsides are expense and leaks. Every cheaper pad I've owned has leaked sooner or later, my current NeoAir Xlite has survived pretty well so far though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't recommend a specific route, but if you're trying to build your confidence I'd start off with something a bit easier than you'd usually do, go somewhere well travelled, tell someone your plan and ideally have an option to shorten, extend, or bail out of the route so you can adjust it depending on how you're feeling. If it's an option, go somewhere with phone coverage. Generally be conservative on route choice, weather and snow conditions, and have a lower bar to bail.

Part of the fun in going solo for me is being able to go faster and further than in a group, and being able to adjust my plans on the fly and just explore. But I wouldn't recommend that if you're a bit nervous about your first solo trip, you want to give yourself the best possible chance of everything going well so you can feel confident in doing it again and going a bit harder the next time out.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

incogneato posted:

I assume the 65F part was implying that he didn't feel like sunscreen was appropriate while it was cool. A surprising amount of people equate sunscreen with hot weather only.

The worst sunburn I ever got was in Glencoe in January. Even the underside of my nose got burnt from the sun reflecting off the snow. It was worse than any alpine "tan" I've ever had, because when you're at 3000m in the French summer it's obvious that you should take precautions. But it was -11°C in the carpark, and when do you ever need suncream in Scotland?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Either country has a thousand spots. You should consider the time of year and what sort of hiking you want to do. Do you want to wander through the forest for a couple hours, walk full days through mountain meadows, or are glacial traverses and peaks above 3000m on the agenda?

If it were me and it's in the summer I'd probably pick somewhere in Valais for Switzerland, maybe Val d'Hérens or Saastal. Or you could go somewhere like Haslital in Bern for something a bit more chill with both good valley walks and beautiful but somewhat lower mountains.

I can think of at least half a dozen amazing regions in Germany I've hiked: Chiemsee, Frankenjura, Ostsee, Allgäu, the Black Forest, Saarland. You could even reasonably stay in Berlin and take the train to a different hiking area every day within an hour of the city. But it's really season dependent. In the winter I'd either want to take skis or have a more city based trip.