Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Is there a website where I can sort hikes by elevation gain and distance? I need to do some training for alpine climbing and want to find the steepest trails near me to do some hiking with a heavy pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm in SE Pennsylvania, where we are lacking any real mountainous regions. I'm prepping for a late summer (end of august probably) trip in the northern Cascades.

It looks like I might be able to get 600ft or so of climbing at Hawk mountain, but I'd like bigger options if folks know of any.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Time Cowboy posted:

Mount Minsi and Mount Tammany ...

Those look great, thanks!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Heh, I have a weight vest that goes up to 50 lbs if it comes to that sort of torture. I'd much rather walk on uneven rocky terrain with my actual pack and boots though, for fairly obvious reasons.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

bongwizzard posted:

These are the ticks that had made it through my sock and attached to my foot. I had managed to get another couple hundred wiped off of my ankles with alcohol wipes.

So, tell us about life with Lyme disease.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Seconding Kinco gloves with snoseal. I have a pair of mittens that I use belaying while out ice climbing and they work great. They don't look particularly good, but they are cheap and warm and waterproof if you keep up with snoseal every now and then.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've not looked into dispersed camping at the New, but Chestnut creek campground and the AAC campground are both pretty good if you want showers.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Cathedral cafe is a popular breakfast spot, and pies and pints is a popular dinner spot.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Your link goes to a picture of a dog. Don't wear dog.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Hydrocolloid bandages are amazing for any and all shallow wounds. Blisters, shallow cuts in annoying places, whatever. They are my go to for so many things these days. They stay on, are waterproof, flexible and seem to accelerate healing decently well over other options.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Insulate your legs, not your feet. If your blood is warm when it gets to your feet, the insulation of the foot itself is less of an issue.

If you are doing something like snowshoeing, cross country skiing, ice climbing, ski/snowboarding, etc, that is absolute rubbish advice. Wear well insulated boots or suffer cold feet and toes.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Hey friendly goons, what's the word in heating up water for an overnight or two these days, without having to carry around 25# of propane? I don't drink coffee, so this would only be for meal rehydration and a random warm drink, but nothing as consistent as 20oz of hot water every 4hr.

Is Jetboil still the answer?

Where will you be overnighting? You can get a fuel canister for $6 at REI and a stove that'll screw on top for like $12 on amazon. Jetboil will certainly work but may be more than you need.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I ask where you'll be camping because in extreme cold you'll probably have issues with an isopropane stove vs. a liquid fuel stove. I doubt it'll be an issue for you though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

n8r posted:

Edit:
If someone wants an old whisperlite for the cost of shipping I'd be happy to pass it along. I think it still works - they're also totally rebuildable.

I'd absolutely take you up on this - I'll PM you. I'm looking to do some winter weekend hikes in the ADK this winter, and I don't have a liquid fuel stove and have doubts about my setup working reliably.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah... I've definitely seen vandalism in climbing areas internationally. It is absolutely not just an American thing. I would actually say that the US has some of the best national parks in the world to be honest.

That is not to say that other countries don't have amazing beautiful parks, just that the formal US park system is pretty excellent.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Electoral Surgery posted:

I wear five ten guide tennies for all hiking that doesn’t require a waterproof boot. They’re great. The leather models by scarpa, evolv, and sportiva are equivalent, pick whichever one fits your foot best.

I haven’t tried the more lightweight shoes like the tx4.

I've sworn by five ten guide tennies as well, but they don't make them anymore. Adidas bought five ten, and I've been told that there's an approach shoe in the Adidas Terrex line which uses the same rubber now.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Electoral Surgery posted:

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-guide-tennie-mens-approach-shoe/BTM68.html?dwvar_BTM68_color=Dark_Cargo&cgid=sports-approach#start=19

They still sell guide tennies, along with a bunch of other models under the ‘hiking’ category.

If you buy tennies, get a tube of shoe goo. The sole will start to separate sooner or later, but a little maintenance will keep them together for a long time.

Oh, neat. Good to know, although those reviews are not so great. Looks like they don't make the high tops anymore though, which is sad.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Because those are called boots. :11tea:

I looked on the site for them, didn't see them under boots either. The high top guide tennies weren't really boot-like though. They were just high tops. There's a difference!

Seriously though, I have two pairs of alpine boots, serious affairs for ice climbing and mountaineering, and the high top tennies were very much not that.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
What do you dislike about the zions? Because I kinda think they're the greatest ever.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
They're good pants, and they will dry a lot faster than denim, but they aren't waterproof. If you sit on a wet seat, your butt will get wet.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wear a HI-VIS safety vest.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
This is a good point, and remember, deer ticks are stupidly small.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's important to realize that vibram makes a TON of different rubber soles. The different compounds have totally different characteristics. A softer, grippier rubber will stick more, but wear out faster. The suggestion of approach shoes is a good one, or climbing oriented boots (like the Scarpa zodiac gtx plus).

Edit: https://eu.vibram.com/en/technology/compounds/

I don't know what rubber is on the hedgehogs. The zodiacs use vibram "drumlin" which I think is only used by Scarpa but is a relatively soft sticky compound. There's a variation of the zodiac that uses an even softer rubber as well.

armorer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 28, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

ogarza posted:

might be too heavy for hiking, but holy poo poo, these have 3x the grip of any vibram sole I've ever used, specially on wet rock.

you can walk among boulders like the terminator, not even caring about cracks or bumps or getting your foot stuck in a narrow hole. if anyone has portaged through the less popular quetico portages you know what I mean.

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/caney-fork-wading-boot

They may be great, but whatever rubber they're using is not going to be as sticky as the vibram rubbers used in the boots I mentioned, or as the stealth c4 rubber used on something like the guide tennie.

"Vibram sole" really doesn't mean anything without context. The vibram sole on a pair of linesman boots would be pretty bad for climbing. Unless you've specifically worn approach shoes or alpine boots with a sticky rubber vibram sole, you won't have encountered that particular rubber compound on any other pair of boots. (Mostly because it sacrifices other things, like general durability and oil resistance, in order to be as sticky as it is.)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Crossposting from the climbing thread, because these aren't really climbing photos for the most part. I spent a week in Yosemite (mostly in Tuolumne Meadows) climbing.

armorer fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You can also get an app like us topo maps or something to use as a backup when you're getting started. Try to navigate with just map and compass, but if you really get lost pop open the app and get your actual gps location. (Download maps for offline use ahead of time!)

That's my general approach to navigation when I'm doing unmarked approach hikes for climbs.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The rubber flap is not connected to where it should be.

I have Gorilla Glue so maybe I'll try that.

Gorilla glue dries to be pretty stiff. I don't think i would use that personally. If you clean the surfaces really well and use shoe goo or a rubber cement like Barge, it might hold for a while.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I use US Topo Maps on android.

Edit: With the paid version you can save large areas for offline use. I do that whenever I'll be in poor coverage area on a climbing or hiking trip.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

black.lion posted:

Never heard of permethrin before, super cool, thanks for the link!

As for the chair question, if we were doing 10+ miles a day I'd probably pass altogether but I'm not really considering this amount of hiking/day as ambitious so I'm not too worried about it. Plus I'm close to 200 lbs and I know for a fact my fat rear end 30lb dog will jump in my lap with no regard for load bearing capacity, so I think the Chair One is gonna be the move.

I'm also an early riser and am super looking forward to setting up my little chair to watch the sunrise and drink my coffee, which I will make for only me the rest of those fuckers can make their own.

Keep in mind permethrin is HIGHLY TOXIC to cats and dogs while wet, but okay once dried. Spray it outside and let the clothes line dry completely before bringing them inside.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah I'd buy that 4 person and venmo you as well, if you are offering.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Anachronist posted:

I got out hiking this weekend: climbed Bierstadt, the Sawtooth, and Evans. Pretty nice day out. Bierstadt was jam packed as expected. Didn't see anyone while doing the sawtooth but saw a few people who had done it on the way back from Evans. The road's closed up Evans so it was much more sedate there than usual.

Looking back along the Sawtooth to Bierstadt

More Sawtooth

Across the vallley towards Guanella pass from the deproach gully

Summit lake from the top of Evans

I set out to do that a few years ago when I was out there, but after crossing the sawtooth I saw storms rolling in so I bailed. Made it back to the car just as the skies opened up. Still a good time :)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Anachronist posted:

The exposure on the ledge was significant but there’s no hard moves there. Just lots of loose gravel and some slight route finding challenges. I guess I’d be pretty unhappy doing it in the wet or with snow though.

The worst part for me was the snowfield on the face of Bierstadt towards the sawtooth. Steep, pretty firm while I was crossing, and a gross runout.

Yeah the worst part of the sawtooth is still pretty easily navigable, provided you're okay with exposure (it's very exposed). There's loose crap all over the place but you can largely avoid it. When I did it there was no snowpack remaining between the peak of Bierstadt and the sawtooth. It was just a really chossy, short descent. If that were all snowpack still it wouldn't be great, depending on your footwear.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PittTheElder posted:

How do you backpacking types deal with water? It seems impossible to haul with you, so I assume local sources (mostly surface water?) with a healthy dose of purification tablets or something?

Typically you plan ahead so you know where water sources will be, and you carry a filter and/or tablets, or you boil water (but then you are carrying extra fuel). In the winter you melt snow.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FCKGW posted:

I bring a Vecto bag, screw the Sawyer on to that and then hook it inline to the bladder. I like how easy the Vecto is to fill up and prefer to keep the bladder as a clean source.

I keep meaning to get a vecto bag for my sawyer. You've been happy with yours I take it?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FCKGW posted:

Yes. I had the first version and got tree sap all over it on my first use so I upgraded to the second revision. They made the opening easier to use one-handed and added attachments to the cap and slider so they don't get lost. It's also super durable so if for whatever reason my bladder springs a leak I have a spare. No brainer for me at only $20

I also bought one of these disconnect adapters for my bladder:
https://sawyersafetravel.com/sp115

I screw the Sawyer onto the Vecto, connect it to the bladder tube and hang it up in a tree to gravity feed while I set up camp. Don't even need to take the bladder out of the pack.

Oh nice, I didn't know that quick disconnect existed!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Those of you using a cot in a tent, do you find that the legs chew up the tent floor? I've worried about that and so I haven't ever tried it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think the sweet spot is mostly unencumbered trail running, but paired with some weighted hill climbs/repeats for strength.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm way behind in the gear thread in the old hiking forum so I figured I'd ask here.

Are there any headbands or something recommended for keeping sweat out of your eyes? I'm finally getting out hiking this year and I picked a wonderful time to do it. 80-90F with 80% humidity. I went out yesterday and was wiping sweat from my brow constantly.

What do you guys use to solve this problem?

When I'm out running or biking I just wipe sweat from my brow. I would be miserable in a headband. I do sometimes double up a buff on my wrist, and use that to wipe sweat away when needed though, rather than using my sleeve or pulling up my shirt of whatever.

armorer fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 21, 2020

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
For me the single most important thing if I plan to get up and run/hike/bike/etc early is to go to sleep early. If I wake up and I'm still really tired, the urge to just punch the alarm and roll back over is strong. If I'm actually awake, then I will always get up and go do what I had planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

FCKGW posted:

Garmin is not a PLB device, it's a GPS and communication device. If you don't have a subscription, Garmin doesn't let you connect to their network at all. An SOS signal on Garmin's network is a text message to a Garmin call center. They message you back to work you through your situation and, if necessary, will contact local authorities for a rescue. You've basically texting a call center worker.

What is this imaginary scenario where a device without access to the Garmin network is still able to send a message to Garmin who in turn promptly ignores it? Like, the device simply says you need active subscription to use it and won't allow you to use any functionality except the clock.

As someone with a PLB, this entire discussion is pretty stupid. Just buy a PLB if you want PLB behavior (no subscription fees, international GPS enabled OH poo poo! button). If you want a messaging device, buy a messaging device.

As the poster I'm replying to says, they're completely different things that work completely different ways and are intended for different use cases. Five seconds of googling will reveal the differences.