Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

cheese posted:

I was in a 40 degree bag in 30 degree temps cowboy camping, wearing my puffy and shell and like 2 layers of pants. I was warm :)

Most bag ratings are actually intended to include worn clothing. You're doing exactly right! I've got some very warm military bags, but if I tried to push the rating while in boxers and a t-shirt, and without a tent, then I'd have a very cold night indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

alnilam posted:

I really don't get this "sleep naked, your body needs to warm up the airspace in the bag" thing, it reeks of Camping Myth to me. It may affect how long it takes to get warm, but at a steady state (after 5 minutes say) more insulation should be better, period. Unless you load up on clothes to the point of squishing the loft out of your clothes/bag :shrug: Also, eating a snack before bed is one of the best ways of keeping warm through the night. I almost always wake up a little hypoglycemic after cold nights, which always reminds me of just how strongly calories and bodyheat go together.

These are all true things. Sleeping in your skivvies is often more immediately comfortable and will warm the bag up quicker since there is less insulation between your body heat and the bag, but ultimately means there is less insulation between yourself and the outside air. The only part of this camping myth that rings true is that clothes that are so bulky that they are significantly compressing the sleeping bag should be avoided, because they can compromise the bag's insulation by creating heat loss points. But generally that's an issue with a wrong-sized sleeping bag, rather than sleep-wear selection.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

Other thing people don't realize with putting all those layers on is exactly how much water you lose via perspiration overnight. All those extra layers trap that water close to your body, which only serves to convect heat away from you. You want your bag to breathe, otherwise you're going to be cold and wet. After all, why do you think there's so much condensation on the inside of your tent in the morning?

The others have talked about the mechanics of insulation, but I thought that I'd take a moment to talk about how condensation works. Everyone is familiar with how tents often have beads of water on them in the morning (particularly the roof). But this is not caused by perspiration, but rather cooling condensation. Perspiration beading occurs because of an increase in ambient humidity from sweat, while condensation beading occurs because of changes in air density due to thermal cooling. It's the difference between sweating up a car during hanky-panky, and an ice cold can of soda that gets coated in water droplets on a hot day.

When it comes to camping, the ideal sleeping bag is obviously one where you are warm but not to the point of sweating. But your tent will have condensation forming on it, as the warm air of your tent (i.e. outside of your sleeping bag) rises to the roof and then cools - forming droplets of water. You can use breathable fabrics to encourage evaporation on both your sleeping bag and your tent in order to minimize the water-induced heat loss, but since condensation is inherent to thermal thresholds there's a limit to how effective that can be.

On a tangential note, the single largest source of humidity in a tent is generally your nose and mouth. So if you are concerned about reducing perspiration then remember to keep your face relatively exposed while sleeping so as to ensure that your moist exhaled air doesn't enter your sleeping bag. Even still, the amount of water that we're talking about is pretty small and is unlikely to be noticeable unless you are using a water-proof bivy.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 6, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Saint Fu posted:

25 mile days usually mean hiking from sunrise to sunset with a few breaks spaced throughout the day. I personally wouldn't enjoy that for 800 miles unless completing the trek is the primary goal as opposed to seeing and experiencing things along the way.

25 miles at 3 mph comes out to ~8.5 hours per day of hiking, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Get going by 8am, hike till noon, take a lunch break for half an hour, hike till 5pm. You could add in four 15-minute stops along the way and you'd only have to hike till 6pm. That leaves you plenty of light to enjoy the morning and evening hours. The trick with doing long distances is always just putting in the time.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

alnilam posted:

Also seriously what did you mean by you want to "buy a civilian"? Is that some word for backpack I've never heard?

A civilian backpack. As opposed to a surplus ALICE pack or a standard-issue MOLLE pack. The guy is pretty obviously an American military veteran.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Also get a 2.5 or 3 person tent for 2 people. I feel like it you're solo camping a 1 person tent or bivy will work fine. As soon as you get to 2 people you need the extra room. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

If you put two people into a two person tent then they better loving like each other, that's all I'm saying.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Smoove J posted:

Anyone have strong preferences for a rain jacket? I'm looking at this list http://www.rei.com/c/mens-multi-sport-rain-jackets?ir=category%3Amens-multi-sport-rain-jackets&pagesize=90&r=c&page=1&stop_mobi=yes

Really leaning towards the Beta AR... but I haven't been looking too long. Mammut Crater, Kuhl Parachute, I don't know. I'd want it all seasons, snow/rain/wind protection, breathable, doesn't need insulation.

I'd say separate snow protection from rain/wind protection. A good rain jacket is too light-weight for real snow protection (meaning beyond just keeping you dry), and vice versa. I've got a Marmot Precip and it's great and I love it. Some people love their bird gear, but I don't see how the Arc'teryx stuff could possibly be worth the 400% premium.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

.Z. posted:

If I go from walking 2-3 miles a day to suddenly walking ~12 miles a day is it a guarantee I'm getting blisters? Or do I have poor fitting shoes/inserts?

This was what happened to me on a recent trip to Japan.

I was wearing well worn shoes with custom orthotics and merino wool socks with cushion. I ended the first day with blisters on the outer heel and under the 2nd metatarsal of both feet.

Sorry that this isn't a hiking post, but this seemed the best place to ask about putting a lot of miles on your feet.

Yeah. probably. I mean there's stuff you can do to protect your feet, but if you're talking 12 miles a day and you aren't prepared for it then you will probably get some blisters. That being said, it also could be that your footwear/orthotics/socks combination was less than ideal for what you were doing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm not a hiker or a backpacker, but i just recently bought a frame that had a mounting for an olympic weightlifting plate that i use when i'm walking the trail behind my apartment. i've just been using some beat-up trainers for footwear, but should i invest in something different? i'm usually carrying between 35-45 pounds but the ground is relatively flat.

If you're carrying weight then you should definitely be wearing relatively decent shoes, out of the concern of creating foot issues for yourself. Take care of your feet and they'll take care of you. If the trail doesn't call for any particular style of shoe, then I'd probably just keep going with what seems to be working for you, and pick up some more trainers. Maybe select a hiking-oriented pair if you have a mind to.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/when-to-retire-a-running-shoe/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

eSporks posted:

Well, thats sort of the idea, is that all of my electronics would be USB. I'm not sure if thats a good idea though. I may also get a dynamo hub that could recharge things. The trip is not going to 100% wilderness either, so I should have access to outlets here and there.

It sounds cool, and probably will work fine. I use all USB gear when I travel, for precisely the same reason. Batteries are a pain to source and replace. You'll want to carry a power bank of some kind, though your dynamo hub sounds really cool too. I don't know enough about the dynamo hub to say whether it would be an appropriate replacement for a mobile 8000 mAh backup.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Q8ee posted:

Might try my luck this year seeing about joining the hiking society at uni and meeting likeminded people there.

Do this for sure. University outdoors groups are almost universally filled with cool people who just want to share their love of nature.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Levitate posted:

I also discovered/remembered why I don't really like camping or backpacking with other people who aren't proven to be people who can either operate independently or on the same schedule as me. Our friends were also camping with us and it just took them forever to do things and get ready so we wasted a lot of good morning hiking hours because they were much more casual about getting up and out of camp. It wasn't like a huge deal, just mildly frustrating.

This is such a classic problem. I wish there was a single solution for it, but realistically it's always seems to be an issue for group trips. I think the best thing that can be done is making it clear what your plans are at the outset - that way you can always just tell people that you'll meet up with them later if they want to do something else. The biggest problems always come from hikers and campers setting out together, only to realize that the two activities really don't have that much in common. Or neophyte hikers who really have no idea what their comfort limits are. But even like-minded backpackers can run into issues when one group has a bunch of stuff they want to check off their list, and the other is just taking it all in and letting themselves make their way along the route.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 15, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

incogneato posted:

This is the best explanation I've seen. Thank you! We'll go back to looking at traditional single bags.

I think the individual bags are a good call, for lots of reasons. As for what temperature rating to get: As a longtime Oregonian backpacker, I'd suggest the 30F bag over the 15F, unless you're really intending on doing some snowcamping. You're much more likely to be too warm during Spring and Fall, rather than too cold. The thinner bag will be lighter, and generally more comfortable. Though again one of the advantages of having two individual bags is that they can be different weights if you or your partner runs a little cold.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 16, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

The list looks like a good start, but like the others here I'm a bit concerned about the sheer amount of weight you're taking on. 30 kg (65 lbs) is very significant amount for such a long journey. I've carried that much, but it isn't fun and I wouldn't do it without a good reason. Hopefully you're a big guy, which will make that kind of weight more bearable, but even so a lighter pack would be more enjoyable.

I'd echo the suggestions to try pruning. Clothing is one area: Do you really need three pairs of pants, four sets of socks, six shirts/jackets, six pairs of underwear, plus accessories? That's a lot for a 10-14 day trip. I bet you could get rid of one of those pairs of pants and a couple shirts/jackets very easily. And then water is an issue too: If I were you I'd figure out ahead of time where you will be able to refill your water each day, and then just carry enough to get there comfortably. The website says that drinking water isn't available at the campsites - is that because there isn't enough water around or because there's so much that they aren't bothering to dig wells? 6.5 kg (15 lb) of water seems excessive unless you're sure that you won't be able to refill at any point during the day. And from what I can see, it looks like the area you're hiking is absolutely chock full of streams and ponds. I also notice that you aren't carrying water purification tablets or a pump, which makes me think that you're trying to avoid purifying water by just carrying it all with you and refilling at the nature centers. That's certainly your prerogative, but that is a really difficult way of doing it.

Beyond that, I'd say that your tent and boots both seem a bit heavy for what you're doing, but you're probably not going to switch them out at this point. Anyway, the feedback that I'd give is to reexamine how much of this you actually need. If you need it all, great, but I think that you could probably do without some of this stuff. Encourage yourself to be willing to give up some more of your creature comforts on this journey and you'll probably be happier for it.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 12, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's sad that the Sperry Chalet there in Glacier burned down a couple weeks ago. :(

Yeah it's really sad. My girlfriend's family is close with the couple that managed it and the other chalet, and they're absolutely devastated. Apparently the last remaining one isn't nearly as nice as Sperry was. But then again, fire was the fate of all the other chalets that were built in that area. It's unavoidable unless you're willing to take a chainsaw to the surrounding area, and what's the point of that?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

The problem is that the fires have been suppressed for so long, that all the accumulated underbrush causes them to burn extremely hot, sterilizing the soil and killing off the previously fire resistant trees.

It's true it's a problem, and frankly the solution is that we have to invest in forest management programs that will do managed burns in the spring and fall. It would be much more efficient than having to deploy thousands of firefighters every summer, but it involves federal spending and good luck convincing Republicans to plan ahead.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Theme in Finland this autumn has been rain, followed by rain. I bought a marmot precip tall rain jacket so I can compare how it works out vs. a rain poncho. Poncho has its good sides but it's really cumbersome also.

Anyways, when it sometimes doesn't rain, it's windy and I need a jacket. I've been using my old fjällräven räven which is 650 grams. It's made from waxed polycotton with no lining, and it can stand a very light rain and doesn't let all the wind through. I've been eyeballing wind shirts to replace it, since to be honest the jacket doesn't offer that much.

Fjällräven makes abisko wind shirt but the problem is my rear end is 110cm wide and abisko has only 104cm bottom circumference (size L). Also it still weighs 200g. Can you guys recommend any wind shirts(jackets) which fit a somewhat large rear end, have long hem and sleeves (I'm 6'6" tall)? Patagonia houdini is often recommended but the manufacturer doesn't give out useful size charts in their webpage...

I grew up in Oregon where it rains consistently for 3/4 of the year, and I've always just used my Marmot as a wind/rain combo jacket. It has zippered armpits so it's pretty good at doing both things. I've never had a poncho, though I assume that it would be useful for areas where you're likely to get constant heavy rain, and particularly when it's quite warm and humid at the same time.

Ihmemies posted:

My poncho is 4m^2 and one thing I've noticed that while it keeps me warm, and my backpack dry, it collects a ton of condensation/sweat or whatever inside. Basically it's completely covered in water on both sides. So it's a huge mess of wet, clammy cloth which is quite hard to get dry. I've been trying to turn it inside out and wipe it dry but it is futile.

That's really interesting, because I would have assumed the opposite, that it was quite good at preventing condensation, etc., so that you remained relatively dry and didn't have to deal with clammy fabric. The Marmot isn't perfect either, but it's not bad, so I'll be interested in hearing your comparison of the two.

EssOEss posted:

It was raining like mad, which corresponds nicely with the weather I expect over the next few weeks, so I got to thinking about my rain preparedness. Specifically, how do I avoid making a wet blob out of my tent when I pack it up in the morning. So far, I thought of two things: pack the inner layer up separately (I am pretty sure I can pack it up without exiting the tent) and to cross my fingers for a few dry hours around my lunch break so I can hang the outer layer to dry. Anything else I should keep in mind with regard to avoiding the big wet?

There really isn't a good way to do it, though those are certainly good things to try. The only real solution is to switch to a hammock or a bivy, which are smaller and easier to dry. Probably the best thing to do is just keep a weather eye open so you can take advantage of any windows.

quote:

Hmm, I need to figure out some waterproofing for my mp3 player, though - it glitched out big time in the humidity.

You could try using one of the Apple-style headphones that has a small control pad to switch tracks and stop/play. That way you could just keep your audio player zippered in your jacket or something. You could try jerry-rigging a ziplock cover, but I'd be concerned about condensing water getting trapped inside the bag.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 16, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, no rain yesterday so I didn't get to try out the rain shell jacket yet. But it was quite cold, and a beanie and a buff is not enough at 6C with a quilt. Well even at campsite they weren't that warm, but while sleeping I was too cold to sleep comfortably. I had a quite firm thermarest xtherm pad so my theory is that I just need better head insulation with a quilt. Apex insulated bacalavas are expensive, but maybe worth it?

Are you wearing a pair of soft gloves or mittens? Gloves are often under-appreciated for how much they can improve your insulation given how small they are, but they can really help. A balaclava might help as well, maybe get one that can also convert into a neck buff so you can do a replacement rather than an addition? I've got a fleece Black Diamond Coefficient that I picked up on sale, and I really like it. It certainly is warmer than a fleece beanie and a buff and comes in at 92g. Those Apex balaclavas are shockingly light though (like seriously, the standard version weighs less than a pack of Bic pens) so that is probably an appeal.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 18, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bangkero posted:

Just wanted to hear how others would divide the costs and get some feedback. Thanks!

Sounds like deserved flak. I wouldn't want to pay for someone else's rental, unless I was somehow using it. In the car analogy, I also would expect the financials to be dealt with on a car-by-car basis. I can't imagine why the car owner would pay for the rental, nor conversely why the car renters would have to pay for the owner's gas. The only way I could imagine supporting your decision would be if your friends said they would pay for the rental, let you get into a larger contract to suit that need, and then showed up with a canoe when it was too late for you to get the money back. Next time, figure this out beforehand (to be fair, it sounds like you tried to).

Tsyni posted:

Kayaks are better than canoes, imo. Why didn't you rent some of those?

Canoes carry a lot more, and often people are somewhat afraid of kayaks (they shouldn't be, they're awesome).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 3, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

Missing Hikers Found Dead of Gunshot Wounds, and Locked in an Embrace

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/us/hikers-murder-suicide-joshua-tree.html

O_O

Maybe you should have brought a GPS instead of a gun...

Yeah pretty much. The only thing you'll end up shooting out in Joshua Tree is rocks or other humans. It sounds like they got lost while hiking the Maze Loop, the girl ended up falling down into one of the slot canyons, they quickly ran out of whatever meager food and water they had, and decided to end it before they baked to death. Pretty lovely tragedy, and it's too bad they weren't better prepared. From looking at pictures of the trail online, it seems like getting lost out there is a pretty easy thing to do, since it's mostly a cairn route.

https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-the-maze/

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Freaquency posted:

When we went out there this year, we had a hiking GPS and it was absolutely essential. The trails are basically non-existent, especially for some of the old mining/homesteading sites, and just having something that was putting down virtual breadcrumbs went a long ways towards making the trip more enjoyable.

There's something of a policy question here, in that a lot of these backcountry trail routes are somewhat intentionally poorly signed - with small and infrequent cairns, minimal artificial signage, and generally poor trails. Many outdoorsy folks often see this as a good thing, because it maintains the atmosphere of "untouched nature", creates a barrier to entry so fewer people use the trails, and discourages casual hikers from roaming more than a couple miles from the roads. But often the difficulty of navigating these routes is not adequately communicated, particularly by hiking websites that provide lines on a map that make the thing seem much easier than it really is. Perhaps the land management folks should start indicating at the trailhead when a trail uses widely spaced cairns, and perhaps they should be making these cairns larger than three rocks stacked atop each other. Certainly some people would dislike the idea, but it would definitely have helped these two poor kids.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

If we're on the subject of discount gear, I'd definitely suggest looking into the used military surplus sleeping bags. They're formally known as Modular Sleeping Systems, and you can typically pick up a used patrol bag for like $10. It's good to about 30F, weighs about 2.5 lbs, is fully synthetic, and fits tall people no problem (a common issue for me with lightweight bags that skimp on length). There's also a heavier intermediate bag, as well as a bivy and a compression sack, and you can get all four parts for about $60 used - at which point you've got a cheap and comprehensive system that is rainproof and capable of keeping you warm even in the face of serious subzero temperatures (it's nominally rated to -50F, assuming you're also wearing cold-weather clothing). Of course it's also about 11 lbs, and not as compressible as more advanced gear, so there's a trade-off going on, but still it's a pretty good place to start for an aspiring backpacker.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Another place worth checking out is the REI Garage discount site. You can get 50% - 70% discounts as long as you're not particular about brand or color, especially if you're already an REI member and take advantage of their regular sales periods.

Right now you could pick up a decent tent for $100 on their site: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/130891/alps-mountaineering-taurus-2-tent

Or ski gloves for $20: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/889755/gordini-aquabloc-down-gloves-mens

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 10, 2017

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

At least there will be rocks :v: put rocks on top of tent lines and hope it won't get too windy.

Or jam the line with stake between bigger rocks or something.

If it comes to this, tie the guy lines to rocks or trees.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Chatted with the person in charge while walking. He had the radio and was coordinating (and was maybe 25). They had a wheeled litter with the "injured hiker" to get down the trail. Most amusing part was when I said "We're a couple minutes from the road" and the response was "Really?! I had no idea we were so close". So I guess radio duty precludes navigational skills.

To be fair, normally the radio operator in a military squad is focused on their comms tasks, and it's the responsibility of the squad leader and the guide to know where the unit is in relation to the terrain. Of course you have to hope that everyone is paying attention to that sort of thing, particularly in a domestic SAR team where it's not like everyone else is busy looking out for ambushes. And if the guy was in charge then he definitely should have known where they were, and probably should have delegated the comms tasks so he could focus on actually leading.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 5, 2018

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I take a bunch of pills each morning. What's a good way to keep each bunch of pills separate from the others, clean, and dry while backpacking?

Ziplock bags nestled within ziplock bags.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I haven't planned anything at all yet and I'm going to start out with camping but I have a pack from maybe 2006 and I believe it might be a bit small. I want to go backpacking sometime for maybe 3 days 2 nights. The one I have right now is the REI Catalyst 35L. Obviously it's 35 liters. I'm not an ultralight person at all and I've never been backpacking before despite owning a pack for over a decade. :(

When I go car camping next I'd like to fit everything that I need in my pack and be able to live out of that. I tried last time and there was no way that was happening with my current pack. I always WAY over pack though so I'm sure there is a lot of trimming I can do.

This is the pack. They don't sell it anymore and I'm having issues with imgur right now so here's a link to the pic.

https://www.rei.com/media/product/718346

Any ideas about a pack that fits my needs? Big enough for 2-3 days/nights, not $400... I don't know really. I have no idea what I need lol.

REI has some excellent bags in the 40-60L range that would be just fine for you. I wouldn't go much beyond that unless you've got a mountaineering expedition planned. This isn't so much due to an ultralight obsession, as it is recognizing that bringing an overly large bag just encourages overfilling it. You want your bag to be full when you head out - but not filled with 45 lbs of emergency clothes and food. Check out their REI brand series, in particular the Flash 55 Pack for $200 which should be plenty large for your needs. Trying it on in a store with someone to help you fit it would be ideal. Alternatively, they've got some good online backpack deals like a North Face Terra 50 for $120 if you're fine with the back and forth of online shopping.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 29, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Jato posted:

Anyone ever heard of the “Rhinowolf” or have any thoughts about it? My girlfriend discovered these while looking at tents for us to use on bike trips and is super excited about them - she backed the 2.0 version on Kickstarter yesterday to get us each one. I’ve read a little bit about people’s experiences with them and the biggest complaints seems to be about bad condensation. Is there something similar I should tell her to look at that might be better or are all-in-one systems like this a poor choice in general?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhinowolf/rhinowolf-20-the-all-in-one-attachable-super-tent

I wouldn't slam this as hard as some of the others here have, but it does seem oriented towards car camping or festival events. It might work out well as a starter kit for mild weather bike trips, but you'll probably eventually want to upgrade. But if your girlfriend is excited about it then I wouldn't push back too hard about it. Maybe figure out how much a similar set of alternatives might cost as a comparison.

For example you could get an REI Camp Dome 2 for $100, a pair of Z Lite Sol sleeping pads for $35 each, and a pair of REI Trail Pod 30s for $80 each and you'd probably be pretty happy. But that would run you $330, rather than $200.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Tacier posted:

After making GBS threads on the Rhinowolf I feel obliged to offer some actual constructive advice. Here is a selection of gear for two people that comes in at a cheaper price, weighs less, is warmer, and is more comfortable.

Tent
Blanket
Sleeping Pad

This gear looks good, but it looks like it would cost $456, making it more than the basic REI gear and twice the cost of the $200 Rhinowolf. Unless there's some sort of discount that I'm not seeing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

His GF bought 2 of them

Ah I didn't notice that. Well that's certainly more expensive than I realized then. At the $400 price point there's a lot of options available. I'd keep looking, if that's the case, unless the girlfriend feels strongly about it. The reviews for the tent are fine, though they temper expectations about it dealing with more than summer weather. But the biggest reason to buy this tent would be if you're planning to do a group camp somewhere. If you aren't focused on that, then I'm not sure it pencils out.

https://gearjunkie.com/rhinowolf-zip-together-camp-tent
https://mountainsforeverybody.com/rhinowolf-all-in-one-tent

My only other suggestion is that personally I prefer the flexibility of having two one-person sleep systems rather than a single two-person system.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 30, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

Looking for hiking boot recommendations. I don't actually do much proper hiking, I'm just looking for something comfortable with more support and durability than sneakers. I'm in Texas so keeping my feet warm will rarely be an issue. I've got big size 13 clown feet (one of which is flat), are there any brands / models I can start taking a look at at Dicks Sporting Goods or similar?

Finding a good outdoor recreation store where you can try on a variety of shoes and have some sort of return/exchange policy is of course critical. Dicks is good, REI is great, it just depends on what's nearby.

I'd suggest a pair of low- or mid-top boots, preferably one that is expressly for summer hiking (winter boots have less aeration and softer treads that are better for snow but don't last as long), and from an actual outdoor sports brand (so not Skechers). I've got a pair of Oboz Firebrands that I absolutely love for exactly this sort of usage. But there's a wide variety of good options, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting the group consensus shoe.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hiking-boots.html

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'm sure that folks in this thread would be happy to answer questions, but I would echo the other recommendations to get into an REI where you can have a detailed, personalized chat with one of their generally excellent reps. The REI brand equipment is broadly excellent, and their return policy is really useful for making sure that you get the gear that is right for you. They also will have maps and area-specific advice, not to mention the online FAQs, which are all really useful for beginners.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Is REI the American equivalent of MEC (or more likely the other way around)?

xzzy posted:

On my recent Canada visit I had a local tell me that MEC started out by stocking REI equipment.

According to Wikipedia, MEC was founded by a bunch of Canadian University of BC climbers who wanted an REI closer than Seattle and decided to found a co-op in Vancouver that would stock all their gear.

The European/German equivalent might be Jack Wolfskin, and they actually sell a bunch of their stuff on Amazon. My brother loves crawling their sales and picking up some pretty sweet gear for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/JackWolfskin/JackWolfskin/page/008C7DFE-FC61-4C2C-98E2-FF351BF128D5

Kaal
May 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the advice y'all, I'm kind of winging it doing prep and my wife is traveling so I'm planning it by myself for now.

They're calling for a high of 99 F in eastern PA on Saturday, not sure that my wife realizes how hot that is. "We can just hike in the shade!"

Oh boy, I have no idea what premethrin is and probably won't have time to get some before Saturday. At least I just gave my dog his flea and tick medicine for the next month. Starting to think that rush-planning our first camping trip in 100-degree weather is going to end really badly...

I generally am very lax when it comes to preparation for this sort of thing, with the sentiment that it'll be an adventure and you'll learn more for next time. It sounds like you didn't have time to go to an REI, and are just figuring it out for yourself, and more power to you. But I would say that you will need some planning in place for both the ticks and the heat, since both of those can be showstopping problems.

You'll want plentiful shade and water, sun block, and preferably a place to swim. Hiking in 100F is a bad idea, particularly if you're new at it. Also as a corollary, make sure that your vehicle is maintained and capable of any road that you are taking. It's rarely an issue out here in the East, but driving an old car out on rough roads when it's hot is how people get stranded and die before rescue. And you'll want to employ tick prevention, certainly including tick repellent and buddy checks, particularly given this heat.

Finally, make sure to give yourself some sort of out for if the conditions prove to be too adverse to be having fun. A day of hiking and picnicking followed by a comfortable night in a motel with AC and a shower might be exactly what you two need.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 18, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I'm sure mountain lions are irritated by pepper just like any other mammal, but since they tend to ambush from hiding it's a moot point.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

A Marmot Precip is excellent and I'd recommend it to anyone. It runs at between $60-$100. There's also the REI Rainier, which is comparable and often dips a little lower (they have some in orange for only $45). And the cheapest would be something like the REI Groundbreaker, which is $35-$50 and is about as no-frills as you're likely to find while staying dry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I went to Ape Caves near Mt St Helens last weekend. We took the upper route and I got out ahead of my group, and it turns out the cave wasn't that echoey so I didn't know they'd turned back. Then I walked for a mile and half underground, which included a lot of sections of randomly placed lava slabs and a slick 8-foot wall, which was a cool thing to lunge up. Overall a pretty good time, though I was an idiot to bring only my headlamp and not a good flashlight too.

Any other accessible caves I should check out within a few hours' drive of Portland?

The Lava River Cave near Bend is excellent and extremely accessible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_River_Cave

Kaal
May 22, 2002

black.lion posted:

As for tent/sleeping bag/pad etc. REI is having a sale rn so I think I may try to find some dealz. For this sort of climate/season, do we need a sleeping bag(s) or should I just bring a compact blanket and the sleeping pad?

From looking at a weather forecast, it seems like the overnight lows would be in the upper forties so you'll probably want to have sleeping bags rather than a blanket.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

incogneato posted:

It may have just been a typo, but since you listed number of items just before it: you'll need to two sleeping pads. Backpacking sleeping pads are single person.

I'm not an expert in hiking boots, but since no one has answered your Danner question: I personally wouldn't get hung up on a certain brand just due to a coupon. Try on a lot and see what feels good for you. Lighter and quicker drying are definitely preferred by most people these days (often sold as trail runners or close to that). A good pair of boots that works for your feet is pretty important. Blisters suck.

I don't really know Danner as a brand, except I thought they were associated more with heavy traditional leather boots. I could be wrong, maybe they have other styles. Personally I wouldn't want to backpack or even long day hike in something like that, but I'm sure some people do.

Danner has a history of traditional leather hiking boots, but now offers plenty of trail shoes and such as well. Since black.lion mentioned a couple times that they're not a fan of how those traditional shoes look, maybe they should check out the Danner Trail 2650 series, which mostly just look like low-top running shoes. Alternatively their Jag and Caprine series look more like sneakers than hiking boots. Mostly I wouldn't worry about it too much. Any outdoorsy shoe will be totally fine.

https://www.danner.com/men/hike?sortId=product-family

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

black.lion posted:

For the sleeping pads, I thought they made double-wide inflatable ones? If I'm wrong, then yes I will need two! Good catch, thanks

They definitely exist, but I'm pretty dubious about double sleeping pads or bags. You give up a lot of versatility and ease of storage, and they're typically too narrow unless you're sleeping really close with each other. It's also already quite easy to be woken up while camping, and sharing a pad only makes that worse. I much prefer having two separate sleep systems.