Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Any recommendations for Upper Peninsula camping for late September? Can't decide where to go! There are too many nice places... We will be car camping and I was thinking Pictured Rocks area but can't decide on a campground... Also open to other areas as well, just looking for a central base area for activities. Looking at 5 days but two of those will be driving from Chicago area (so really 3 full days). We definitely want to canoe and hike, is there anything else we should do/see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Yooper posted:

I'll second Pictured Rocks. Camping at Twelvemile Beach is very nice in the fall. Further West you can hit Craig Lake State Park and (if you reserve it soon) can crash in a Yurt. The cabins get booked up really early, but the Yurt might still be open. Going even further west you can either head to the Porkies, or go north and stay at Fort Wilkins State Park just outside of Copper Harbor. Should you go that way you must, must, must, visit the Eastern Orthodox Monastery and buy baked goods. They have a cranberry muffin as large as your head. If you're adventurous keep going to the very tip of the Keewenaw peninsula and find the NASA rocket range for some goon cred.

Thanks for ideas, Twelvemile Beach looks amazing! Does it get pretty cold in the fall with the wind coming off the lake? Is there anywhere around the area to grab a quick shower? I also checked the aurora forecast for that time but unfortunately it was low... :( Been chasing that forever. Either way, pretty excited to finally get up north and away from the city for awhile...

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Hello hikers! I'll be going on a road trip through most of the Utah national parks/grand canyon the last two weeks of October, any suggestions or tips? Starting in Phoenix, ending in Vegas and plan to see Horseshoe Bend, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion and of course Grand Canyon. We will be coming from sea level, so we're planning to spend the first night in the Sedona area to adjust, since the last time I went to Colorado, I made several mistakes and ended up with terrible altitude sickness! We've never been to any kind of desert so any useful advice or tips would be appreciated. :-) Thanks!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Heck, we might run into each other on the Arches/Bryce/Zion leg of your trip. Are you backpacking or staying in the campgrounds?

I'd love to camp there but since we are flying in we decided to book cabins. Going to be in Bryce/Zion the last full week of October, can't wait! We're planning on doing the Narrows (if the weather holds), any tips for this? I'd also take any trail suggestions. :)

Picnic Princess posted:

Totally, we were drinking 3 liters of water per day.

Definitely planning on this as well, thanks!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

nate fisher posted:

- What are must places to go in Utah? So far with have a list of possible places like Zion, Grand Staircase, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, and Arches. Any must hikes? The Firey Furnace is the only one our list so far.

Observation Point was my favorite hike in Zion! Absolutely stunning views at end, well worth it if you're looking for a day hike. If you're able to stop in Bryce, the Navajo/Queens garden loop is awesome, the Wall Street area is gorgeous... Oh yeah, do a sunrise hike at Mesa arch in Canyonlands, one of my very favorite moments from our trip in October! The entire arch glows various shades of orange and yellow, photographers heaven.

I just realized that your username is my avatar, six feet under still remains one of my favorite shows of all time... Have an amazing trip. :)

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm not too bad about heights but I skipped the chain of certain death section when I hiked Angel's Landing. Did I miss something amazing?

I chose to forgo that section as well... Not a heights fan, but what got me was the people trying to climbing over others that were glued to the chain!
The fun part was getting to the end of the Observation Point trail across the valley and watching all the people scramble over the ridge through binoculars. It was at that point that I knew I probably would never attempt that ridge...

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone own the Osprey Sirrus 36? Looking to replace my daypack/possibly carry on luggage. Currently own an REI 25 and wanted a little extra room but nothing crazy huge... Mostly looking for good hip belt pockets and integrated rain cover, but neither are a must if there's a better bag out there.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

nate fisher posted:

If you are hiking the Narrows from the bottom up in late May, do you really need to rent canyoneering shoes plus Neoprene socks? We normally wear Tevas or Chacos (open toe) when hiking in creeks and rivers in the east, but it sounds like that is a no go in the Narrows? Maybe a old pair of tennis shoes? I am not sure how far up we will go (maybe Orderville Junction), but any advice would be appreciated.

So far we are planning to do the Narrows Bottom Up, Red Hollow Slot Canyon, Emerald Pools, Canyon Overlook, Observation Point (instead of Angel Landing), and Peekaboo-Queens Garden Loop (Bryce Canyon) while we are in the Zion area (we might take one of the hikes out and replace it with Hidden Canyon).

The Narrows was the one big thing we didn't get to do while in Zion, but at lot of people we talked to coming out of it said they were glad they rented the shoes/socks since it can get slippery in spots...

Also the trail for observation point and hidden canyon are the same through the first series of switchbacks then they split off so you might be able to do both in the same day if you started early enough. I know I saw a few people doing that since they are right in the same area. Man, I really miss Zion now...

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

gently caress there's so much to see out west.

My first time out west was Yellowstone/Tetons/Badlands and it blew my mind having lived in flat rear end Illinois my entire life. I honestly question why I still live here... IL might be my home state, but it is not where I feel at home.

I am really hoping to do a Glacier NP/Banff/Jasper trip next year, I need more mountains in my life.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Heading to Yosemite next week, any recommendations/tips?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

As a *former* chicago resident, this was one of my primary drivers for leaving. Winters sucked but trying to get out of the city and not just into the middle of a farm field required several hours of driving. Anywhere really cool by midwest standards was at least a half days drive.

This pretty much nails how I feel about living in Chicago. Super jealous of everyone west of the Rockies that can drive somewhere beautiful in a matter of hours.

I live vicariously through this thread in hopes that one day I might be able to regularly drive to the mountains.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Canyon Rim to Rim:

Is this doable for someone who is usually a day hiker? I haven’t done backpacking, but I would go on a guided trip. I’ve heard of people doing it in one day but I really want to take my time. The longest hike I’ve done was about 16 miles, probably about 3k elevation change? I know the Grand Canyon is intense but is it out of the question for a normal fit person that trains?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Kefit posted:

A friend of mine managed to score a late July cabin reservation at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the grand canyon. He invited me to join him for the trip, but first I want to make sure I'm not getting in over my head.

We'll probably hike the South Kaibab Trail down, sleep at the cabin, and then hike the Bright Angel Trail up. I've already read up these trails, so I know things like trail length, elevation gain, and that we'd need to be on the trail before sunrise (both down and up) in order to avoid literally dying of heatstroke. But a lot of this stuff is just numbers on a page to my brain, and it's difficult for me to really gauge the reality of it.

I'm 37, in decent but not incredible shape. My only serious hiking experience is when I joined this same friend for three full days of hiking at Arches and Canyonlands last October. One day we did the full Devil's Garden loop - that was pretty intense for me, but also very enjoyable. I was physically thrashed by the end of these three days, but in very good spirits. I've also day hiked to the top of some of the small mountains near Seattle (e.g. Cougar Mountain) a few times, though it's few years since I last did that.

My read is that this Phantom Ranch trip is reasonable for me so long as we handle the heat properly (plenty of water, on the trail before sunrise). I'll probably be physically annihilated by the end of it, but that's fine as long as I make it to the end! But let me know if I need a reality check.

I do not have any actual advice (because I’m in the same boat and hoping for an October permit🤞) but congrats on the chance to achieve a bucket list item!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

incogneato posted:

I primarily hike because it clears my head and makes me feel great. Doubly so when work is stressful. Just being out in nature all day (ideally away from other people or crowds) does wonders for my headspace.

I suspect the physical exertion probably also helps, but I'm not the fastest or best hiker by any means. I just love getting out there. For a full day regularly, and for multiple days overnight when I can swing it (which is sadly infrequent these days).

To each their own, and definitely do what works for you. But spending long stretches in nature can be fantastic.

Same same same. I was down in the Smokies a couple weeks ago and did an 8-10 mile day hike and it was that happiest I’ve felt in awhile… A solid day of hiking is such a natural high. I don’t know why I live in a major city and am considering moving somewhere I could easily hike on a regular basis. Anyone ever move to be closer to nature? I’m partial to the west coast and got spoiled by the Sierras but I’d love to see the Cascades as well…

sincerely,
an unhappy city dweller

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

This is me. I've been in Chicago / New York for the last 9 years, and I am so excited to be moving to Seattle. I can actually see trees from my new place!

Please tell me how you did it lol I’m also in Chicago and know that I need more nature to be actually happy, but figuring out an entire life change is… a lot.

Man, you’re going to be surrounded by so much…Cascades, Olympic, Rainier! The PNW is like a playground to me. Enjoy!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

I’ll be out East in Rhode Island the next couple weeks, any suggestions for good hiking around there? We’re open to driving to different states for a few days and my loose plan was to possibly do Katahdin in Maine. However, I’m open to anything with mountains!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Came back to say that I simultaneously love and hate the white mountains! My bf isn’t a big hiker so I opted for Pierce for our first summit. What an insanely rocky mess of a trail. But still 100% worth the view because drat the whites are beautiful.

We took the train to the summit of Washington and now I’ve decided that I must come back and earn my trip to the top. But honestly I could sit up there for the entire day and watch the clouds pass over and create shadows over all the peaks. Something about being on top of a mountain lights up the happy part of my brain like nothing else.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

I just had one of the best weekends of my life in recent memory. I wanted to get out hiking for the first time this year, I'm recovering from a disc herniation in my lower back from the end of last year. To put it in perspective, I couldn't walk in September. I couldn't walk more than a quarter to a half-mile by January, and I wasn't comfortable doing it. My physical therapy wrapped up in April but our spring has been super rainy and I was a little nervous to get out. I feel much better than I have in a long time but I'm not fully healed. I can tell it's right on the edge of reinjury. I also still have some numbness and loss of strength in my right leg.

Saturday my buddy asked me if I wanted to go flying. I obviously pushed off hiking for this opportunity. He's a professional pilot who just bought a plane and has been asking me to go. He let me take off, fly around for about an hour, we flew to the cascades and circled a mountain lake (Isabel I think), then we flew back pretty low along the river. It was super rad and then he told me I was going to land. It was pretty nerve wracking but I landed us safely. I've only flown once or twice before but landing was not something I've done before. My hands were very sweaty and I think I clinched a permanent groove into the seat.

I woke up late Sunday morning and had that "should I still go hike?" feeling. I didn't research anywhere, had nothing planned, and wasn't feeling very motivated. I picked something short and left around 1. I wanted to go solo and I knew the sun wasn't setting until 930.

Hiking is rarely the wrong choice.

It's only 5-6 miles and I got to the lookout quickly. I stuck around for an hour or so and started heading back but then I kept getting stopped in my tracks by the scenery. I decided I was going to stay a few hours for sunset. I had my headlamp and the trail wasn't difficult. It was incredible.

https://i.imgur.com/RZbbs1M.mp4

Oh my walk back, I crossed paths with a fox and it made my already epic night.

https://i.imgur.com/rFqa1Ht.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/wxYcavm.mp4

This entire post is epic and I’m glad you are back out there doing the thing you love!

I’ve been wanting to do that fire tower hike in Rainer for a long time, just gotta make it back out west at some point. Photos are gorgeous and holy poo poo props to you for landing a loving plane near mountains because I really don’t think I’d ever be able to do that and not freak the gently caress out.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Wow all this Moose talk is kinda surprising, I had no idea they were that aggressive. The whole time I was hiking in N.H. I was hoping to see a moose and avoid a bear, but um never mind now… :stare:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Naramyth posted:

When I was in Grand Teetons I bumped into a pair of moose on the trail that we couldn’t really get around. Eventually another group came though and we hitched to their wagon because, as I said to my wife “they can’t get all of us” and we passed within a few feet of them. It was terrifying but the moose couldn’t have cared less that time

We did this in the Smokies too with a mama bear. We ended up hiking the rest of the trail with a family because ain’t no way I’m separating with a mom and cubs nearby…

I used my bear bell in N.H. and I’m sure it annoyed the poo poo outta a lot of people but there were times when I didn’t see anyone for awhile despite a good number of cars at the trailhead.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Mt Washington NH. I love feeling like part of the clouds :allears:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

Switzerland is beautiful in ways that don't seem real. It feels like a movie set or something. Everything is clean, on time and picturesque. I love it.

But also ....

what the gently caress.

I went on another hike last night and realized evening hikes are way more enjoyable to me than morning hikes. Less people, easier parking, the option to stay for the sunset is a huge bonus. Plus often cooler temps.

I was wanting to hike again this weekend but had stuff going on Saturday and had a house project on Sunday. I was at home Depot at 2pm on Sunday thinking about work the next day and decided "gently caress this, I'm going hiking tonight"

I got home, grabbed my bag and headed out. It was a pretty quick and easy hike (4-5 miles and only 1200' of gain). I got to the trailhead around 6pm and there were only 4 cars. I passed a few people coming out, one duo was behind me. I was on the peak by myself for at least an hour. The entire hike out was solo. It was great.

It was amazing from start to finish. I didn't stay for the full sunset this time because there were a few sketchy areas and I didn't want to get home at 1am. I planned it so that it would set as I was on my way out. From the peak, I could see Baker, Rainier, Glacier peak, The Olympics, the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound, high alpine lakes, major rivers ... like 80% of what Washington state has to offer.

It feels so good to be hiking again, the back felt pretty good. Made it up in 45 minutes and down would've been about the same minus all the stopping for photos. I really enjoy solo hiking and not sure why it took so long for me to do it.

Holy gently caress, you got to these views in 45 min? Where is this?

I really really need to move out west already, like if anyone is hiring finance (AP/AR collections) send that poo poo my way!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

I just accepted a job to CO and poking around the jobs on the company website there seems to be a position for accounts payable supervisor, not sure if that's your thing or not.

I do not see myself as a manager type, but thanks for mentioning! Colorado seems like a great place for a base, so much hiking in all directions :allears:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Thanks for all the camping/pack cleaning advice! Now I have one more… this is kinda silly but coming from Chicago to Seattle, what side of the plane should I be sitting to see Rainier?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

Depends on the route but generally the left side of the plane because Rainier will be to the south of you, along with Adams, St Helens, maybe Mt hood. If coming from chicago, left side of the plane, if going to chicago, right side. Honestly either side will be cool as there's a lot to look at. If you're on the right side of the plane you'll see mt Baker. The flight is pretty boring until Montana/Idaho/Washington. Washington is only the last 30-45 minutes or so of the flight. You'll be the closest to the mountains as you descend and the cascades are the final range before you land in seattle. You'll probably see a few fires on your flight out. Our sun is setting around 820pm so hopefully your flight is prior to that point.

I can't recall, are you just coming out here for a trip or moving permanently?

Great! Already had the left side picked out. It’s just a trip for now :smith: but maybe one day…

Going mid September and right before sunset time so hoping for some beautiful gradients!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I cannot express how envious I am of people that go to these types of places easily.

Samesies. Going to pay the PNW a visit soon and I am super excited for mountains everyday :woop:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Pinus Porcus posted:

Thank you for deciding on a plan B.

Really though, for anyone trying to get out in the PNW this weekend, please be super aware of the Red Flag warnings, extreme fire danger, active fires and the potential for new ones, the fact many communities/parks are having power outages for safety and smoke is moving in everywhere. I'm based on the PNW coast and work for a land management agency and my whole day has been shutting facilities, send info for customer contacts about limited facilities and making contingencies for way worse conditions. I've also been smoked in for several hours and it looks like a level of hell outside.

Also, some facilities are being used as fire camps and evacuee sites. The public is getting kicked out with little notice in some of these circumstances.

Please, just stay home this weekend PNW folks. We'd appreciate it. Our parks will be here next week, and if they aren't, well be happy you weren't there.

I picked a great time to visit the PNW I guess :ohdear: How’s Mt Rainier looking overall? Noticed the AQI went up last night and now a fire ban… I’m supposed to leave on a trip there this week, think anything might improve after the weekend?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

It's tough because this is the peak time of year for weather/snow melting etc etc but also fire season. We were very fortunate it just started due to our late snow this year.

My buddy has core enchantment permits for Monday through Friday that I'm supposed to be going on. We're checking the weather and preparing to cancel. I'm curious to see trip reports from today and tomorrow.

Well I’m in Seattle now and things do not look promising :smith:

It smells like a campfire outside and I couldn’t see a drat thing when landing… Really really hoping this changes in the next 24-48 hrs cause my PTO is already spoken for!

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

What was your trip? Area, total mileage, mileage per day etc. I/we might be able to help create an alternate itinerary for you to make some use of your time.

Thank you for this offer! I was part of a group trip and our guides definitely had to switch up plans…

Still camped at Mt Rainier but had to check in with the ranger station daily because the air quality was BAD Sunday. Hovering around 150 or so most of the day, so probably not the best day to be hiking but at least they steered us toward the safer part of the park.

Monday/Tuesday were much better and got some beautiful surprise views of Rainier popping out of the clouds on the way to Pinnacle peak. My fav hiking weather actually - 50’s foggy with a good wind to move the clouds around and get some breakthrough views. I really do not enjoy hiking in full sun and honestly the views are pretty boring with a clear blue sky. I like some cloud drama!

All in all a good trip despite the unknown in the beginning… I half expected it to be cancelled. Didn’t get to do Burroughs like we were supposed to due to road closures but I’ll be tackling that next time because it looked awesome!

Spent a few days in Oregon as well, hiked the PCT around Mt Hood and now I’m ready to ditch my corporate job and leave society :v:

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Verman posted:

Whew. Just got back from a trip.

Was supposed to hike Washington's enchantments, my friend got the ultimate permit (core zone) but fires kept us from going and we had to scramble Sunday night to plan something else. We chose the hoh river trail to blue glacier. ~37 miles over 5 days, roughly 5k gain. Ill do a write-up later with photos but holy poo poo. Perfect weather. Great hike. Legs tired. Beautiful views. Much stank. A few highlights with the super sketchy 100+' ladder.

This looks awesome! Glad you were able to put together an alternate plan that worked out. September is my fav hiking month despite the huge risk for fires, I guess I learned that the hard way this year…

liz
Nov 4, 2004

How difficult is summiting Mt Washington in the Whites? I went last summer and we hiked around a smaller peak but I’d love to actually do Mt Washington itself. Is it silly to get a guide? No one I know would be up for it and I don’t really want to do it solo.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Speaking of the 10 essentials, what is everyone’s opinion of the iPhone 14 emergency SOS satellite feature? Is this a suitable stand in for the Garmin?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Given the insane snow year the sierras are having right now, how do you think things will look the first week of June in Sequoia/Kings Canyon? Planned my trip for that time thinking I’d get decent weather and lowish crowds but now I’m worried that trails may not even be pasable by then :(

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Morbus posted:

For high country: lol
For the big tree hikes in sequoia, probably OK?

Some of the lower elevation backcountry canyons etc. might also be OK in terms of snow, but the stream crossings will be hellacious. What routes in particular did you want to do? 1st week of June is ambitious even in a low snow year for the high sierra, unless you are specifically looking for alpine conditions. Even last year there was snow on the north side of Glen pass into mid June, for example. In 2017, some trails at 10k ft+ were snow covered into mid-August.

Welp, just checked the NPS site and looks like Sequoia is closed until mid April and “likely much longer.” :smith:

I’ve never been so as a first trip I was at least hoping to check out the main areas. What a crazy year. Any suggestions for other California areas worth checking out around that time?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Thanks for the feedback about Sequoia/California plans. Still trying to figure things out…

In the meantime, I have a random question! Where is the best place to experience cloud inversion? This has been on my list to see for the longest time. However, is there a certain place and/or weather that would be ideal for these conditions?

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Random question, but what was everyone’s first solo hike? I’ve done a good bit of hiking, but never solo… and it’s getting to the point where I don’t want to wait for others to be able to do a trail with me.

What would be a good first solo hike? I’m willing to travel! Ideally I’d like some kind of summit maybe but if anything at least where I can get up and see some peaks. I’m probably comfortable doing up to about 10 miles by myself as a first go around. I really just want to get comfortable in the backcountry and feel confident about going places alone.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Beezus posted:

This. It always takes me a minute to fall into a good rhythm with them since I hike so infrequently these days, but when it clicks it's fantastic.

Speaking of clicks, I actually love the literal sound of poles clicking along the trail… I kinda fall into a hiking meditation with it and it’s so wonderful.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Been hiking alot (chunks of the AT and harder state parks) this year and I've gotten the brainworms that I should attempt to hike mount washington.
That's a bad idea right?

I’ve been itching to do this myself, it’s just been calling me after visiting the top via railway last year… I’ll be on the east coast all of July 4th week if you want a hiking partner! I’m also considering just doing Franconia ridge loop as my second option to get my fill of the whites.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

xzzy posted:

The 65F temp was the start of his problems, he refused sunscreen despite me warning him about the suns intensity. So we started trucking up the trail and about a mile in he started to come down off his high horse and all I could do was laugh. Forced him to sit for 20 minutes and sip water until he felt stable again and we dropped the pace and made it to the tarn and back without issue (but he's got a nasty sunburn for a souvenir, here's hoping that lesson sticks with him).

It’s crazy to me that people never think of sunscreen or at least sun shirts. I own like 4 sun shirts and I will wear them even on the hottest day because I’m a ghost and honestly would like to remain that way! I’m obsessed with the Mountain Hardwear Crater lake hoodie, it’s super light and UPF 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liz
Nov 4, 2004

euphronius posted:

Must be nice to have mountains

Very jealous