Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I am going to be doing my first real winter camping next weekend, pretty excited. Only thing I am not sure what I am unsure about is what I am going to do for food. For other trips I have done freeze dried back packers pantry stuff but after my last trip I don't really want to do that again. Any suggestions on alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

i_heart_ponies posted:

I can't stand freeze dried "camping food" and refuse to eat it. It's way too expensive for what's essentially a substandard meal with a multivitamin mixed in.

Many freeze dried soup / noodle / pasta mixes from the regular old supermarket work great. Personally I like bringing the Knorr Pasta Sides from the "Rice-A-Roni Aisle" with me. They definitely cook better with a stove that has flame control (not JetBoils, where they pretty much scorch instantly on the bottom) and for about $1.50 they work great. Bring some extra protein to throw in there. Also Fritos are pretty great in the backcountry since they're pretty much just fat and salt; I can't stand them otherwise. Tasty Bite Indian food pouches work really well, although they're much heavier than a freeze-dried alternative. I mix those with some instant boil-in-bag brown rice for a really hearty meal. Oatmeal is a good standby for breakfast since it's so hearty and you can add fruit and honey along with a non-dairy creamer packet for extra flavor (and sugar) for a minimal weight penalty. Pop-Tarts are great as long as you take care to pack them well since they smash easily. Most Whole Foods also have a huge display dedicated to the "Just Veggies / Just Fruit" dehydrated foods which, while somewhat expensive, make it a bit easier to put together your own soups and other favorite foods without owning a dehydrator of your own. This veggie mix along with some Soba noodles and a bouillion cube in a ziplock bag is really tasty, healthy and easy to make.

My favorite thing to bring winter camping however are those cookie dough tubes you can get in the refrigerator case. When it's cold it freezes to the consistency of cookie dough ice cream and it's really easy to eat on the trail.

I eat super healthy at home but my diet goes to poo poo in the name of ensuring I am getting enough calories every day at altitude. It's kinda fun to cheat like that.

Thanks, this is basically the kinds of thing I had in mind so that is good.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a msr hubba hubba and it is nice. The mesh is pretty delicate though which is probably my one complaint. It is nice because it has 2 doors/vestibules so you dont have to crawl over someone. It is also a decent shape inside which is nice, I find some tents taper in odd ways which can make fitting 2 normal sized people awkward.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

alnilam posted:

What are some good brands of duct tape?

I ask cause I've somehow ended up with some really bad ones (not sticky, too sticky, too gummy) in my time and never bothered to pay attention to which ones I liked.

I ask here because I already read this thread and backpacking is one of my primary use scenarios for duct tape.

You are probably looking for something like gaffer tape http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Has anyone ever flown internationally with a camp stove? In particular one that has used white gas.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Kaal posted:

You can bring the stove but you can't bring the fuel canister (even if it's empty).

Really? What I read on the TSA sight was you can bring both but must not have any fuel or vapours. Mostly concerned about the stove, if I have to replace the fuel bottle I am not that worried.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah I washed everything with vinegar and no smell. Hoping it all goes well, I fly out tomorrow...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a small Patagonia down sweater and I am pretty slim and I find it fits pretty well. I also have a medium arc'teyx Atom LT synthetic (which has the best cuffs ever) and I feel it fits about the same so like MMD3 suggests try the small Patagonia I love mine.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

Me and a few friends hiked the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island this past summer. It was amazing, and I wish it was summer already so I could go again :( Most beautiful trail I've ever hiked, I think.

My favorite photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634589893926/

EDIT: And, if people want to see the full album, it's here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634524501312/

Nice, I also did this summer. My favourite photos from my trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/sets/72157634336019318/

Overall I was not all that impressed with it. I think I enjoyed the Juan de Fuca trail more myself but possibly because I spend a lot of time in similar areas to the west coast trail.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

I've never done Juan de Fuca, but I'm already planning that as one of my hikes for the coming summer. Any tips you'd care to share?

Great WCT pictures by the way!

Not really, I think there are 2 spots you can have tide issues with. I would avoid camping at sombrio beach, which it is nice it is a party beach and is usually busy/dirty. It is possible to leave a car at each end which is what our group did which was kind of nice. I think you will find it more relaxing than the WCT (distances/time between camps are shorter for the most part), and I felt like the camp spots where a bit nicer. Not all of the camp sites are on the beach though so keep that in mind. There is one long(er) day which you cant really avoid, lots of up and down valleys. Compared to the WCT there are a lot less bridges (no ladders), lots of switch backs and large steps. My friend who I did the WCT with has just put out a guide for it (I think it costs a few dollars), not sure what it is like but I imagine it is decent http://pureoutside.com/JuandeFucaHikingGuide

If you have any other questions or something more specific send me a PM, I did it not this summer but the one before (actually in the fall).

I think other than some mountain hikes this year I would like to do the Cape Scott trail at the north end of the island.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

I don't have PMs, ( :( ) but I'd love to ask you a few more questions. I'd be happy to email you or something if that's easier. You can reach me at bpb[at)sfu(dot]ca if that is better for you.

In case you prefer to answer here: If Sombrio is not great, where would you suggest we stay instead? Reading the trail map it looks like the closest options are Little Kuitshe Creek or Chin Beach. Do you recommend one over the other?

Lastly, anything serious to worry about in that "most difficult" section just south of Chin Beach? (Wondering how tiring that section will be, as if it's really exhausting I'd want to plan for a short day that day)

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Always great to get a first-hand account :)

We camped at Chin, that and Bear where probably my favourite spots. The long day is between the 2, so there is not all that much you can do about it. I did it in 3 nights I think, Bear -> Chin -> Little Kutchie (had planned to go onto Payzant but was going to run out of day light as we did it in late September). I think Chin beach had a lot of mice that you had to watch out for, they chewed through my friends bag after he had sat it down for maybe 10 minutes...

Payzant is a super scenic http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/5423552755/ BUT is in the trees and would be pretty damp I think. I don't think you can easily get to the beach. I was also pretty lucky that it was pretty dry when we did it and was not that muddy. From what I have seen from doing day hikes on the trail it can be very muddy, probably worse the WCT as there are no (or very limited) boardwalks to use.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

jamal posted:

Really should have worn those yaktrax things tonight or put some screws in the bottom of my boots. Trails were slippery and I fell down pretty hard, like hard enough for my friends to be concerned instead of just laughing at me. And not while actually hiking, but when were were standing around at a junction to regroup and take pictures and stuff. Think I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Anyway, is there a recommended 2-3 person tent? Want to get one for my dad. Is a 2 person backpacking tent really only a 1 person thing where everyone has their own on a trip and you have to cram in there together for two people? Ideally my parents would do some occasional overnight hikes together and the like. I want to say it would be good to have a little extra space. We have an REI in town plus a number of outdoor gear stores.

Depends on the shape of the tent, I have 2 "2 person" tents one is a MEC (canadian REI) brand it is more like a 1.5 person tent. I also have a MSR hubba hubba and it is a perfect 2 person tent in my mind. I think a lot of it comes down to the shape of the tent.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cov-hog posted:

I've been dreaming about hiking the West Coast Trail since I first saw photos from someone's trip years ago. I'm graduating this summer and my friend is getting married in Vancouver this August, so it seems like this would be the perfect opportunity to make this happen.

However, I'm a novice backpacker -- as in I've only really gone car camping and day hiking before. And I'm really slow. And I'll be by myself. I've always been pretty athletic so I'm not terribly worried about endurance, but I also really don't have any frame of reference to even think that, I suppose. The hike "should" take 5-7 days (47 miles); I don't mind if I take longer, because of the aforementioned slowness. I do have decent, light and synthetic gear so I'm mostly set up for that, and I have plenty of time train and to do smaller hikes locally before I go.

Every resource I read about this trail, though, says to not do it if it's your first hike. Has anyone here hiked the WCT? What would I be getting myself into, if I can even score a reservation slot? Am I an idiot for even considering this hike? I'm in love with it and I have the time and a little bit of money to make it happen.

I did it this summer and I probably would probably not recommend it for your first hike for a number of reasons but it is certainly possible to do so if you are motivated to. If you are fit and are used to camping/hiking then it would not be all that much of a stretch, it seems like many people who do it are on their first trip like this. The problem is that you may not be able to fully enjoy the scenery if all you are doing is concentrating on getting to the next campsite. An alternative I would recommend is the Jaun du fuca trail (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/juan_de_fuca/), it is very similar (starts/ends in the same "town" as the WCT starts/ends), is shorter, cheaper and you can get you can bail out pretty easily if you need to, I would also argue the scenery is just as spectacular even if there is not quiet as much of it. I actually enjoyed my time on the Jaun du fuca more than the west coast trail, I found it less busy and since it was a bit easier/shorter days there was more time to take in the scenery.

If you have any specific questions I have done a fair bit of hiking in that area.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

cov-hog posted:

The same friend who is getting married in August actually recommended the Juan de Fuca trail -- but as an addition to the WCT, not by itself. Not sure why I didn't think of that possibility!! haha. But yeah, it will take a little more research but that's a really solid option. I could take the full six days and have shorter hikes with more gently caress around time at or around the campsites. It would be really nice if it were less busy than the WCT too!

Thanks everyone for not discouraging me outright; I think the full WCT would definitely be a challenge, but I'm not convinced it's out of reach... I'm really looking forward to this trip; I hope it all comes together!

It is not overly difficult per say (the WCT), it is just long and conditions can be poor (plan for at least one day of miserable rain). Be prepared for mud regardless of which trail you do (although this year it may be drier as we are having a very dry winter this year). I don't think you would need 6 days for the Juan de fuca.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Ropes4u posted:

Mix of steep off the beaten path and rolling trails.

I want snowshoes that will let me climb like a mountain goat and run through the snowy woods like Sasquatch - bonus points for cheap and lightweight.

MSR lightning assents would be my recommendation for step terrain.

Edit: some photos from a trip the other week.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 10, 2014

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

freebooter posted:

I'm also in Iceland in June and apparently the average June temperature is 11 Celsius/54 Farenheit, so, I wouldn't worry about it being too hot.

I was there last "summer" and at least for the 3 weeks I was there (late august/early september) it was VERY windy and often wet. I would not be too concerned about being too hot. If you are camping I would strongly suggest a 4 season tent, my 3 season MSR tent was defiantly worse for wear and made sleeping tough a few nights...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
The whole reason I buy light hiking/camping gear is so I can bring more/heavier camera gear... Been meaning to put something together about my hiking with photography gear.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a Thermarest NeoAir Xtherm and I love but was a bit pricey. It is the winter (all season) one. They have one that is more of a three season one that is a bit smaller/lighter.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did a hike up to Marble Meadows in the alpine in Strathcona Provincial park on Vancouver island a few weeks ago. Started by boating across a lake and then a steep (1400m) climb up to a lake to setup base camp and then explored from there. Always nice to get up into the alpine although the bugs where really bad which sucked.

Camped the first night on the lake before starting up into the alpine the next morning.

Hike up to the alpine was not overly scenic, just lots of switch backs but once in the alpine things got pretty nice.

Spent the next day exploring and summited Marble peak which looked over camp which involved a number of exposed scrambles.

Views where well worth it though.

If you are ever camping away from city lights do yourself a favour and get up in the middle of the night.

And a few more from around camp

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Chroisman posted:

I have a quick photography question (that I have also asked over in the photography sub-forum, I was just hoping for some varying perspectives). I recently started moving towards buying lighter gear and packing significantly lighter whenever I go hiking/backpacking/trekking. I also like taking landscape shots though, and I feel that shooting free hand limits me quite a bit (e.g. if I want to take "soft" water shots, or in the morning/evening/light/general low light) so I am looking for a good super light tripod. Also, because I significantly lightened the rest of my gear, I have available "weight space" to carry a tripod.

Would anyone have any experience or recommendations for this? Some examples of tripods I have been looking at recently are ones like the Gitzo GT0531, GT0541 or GT1544T. I did consider monopods, but I would rather just sit my camera there for longer exposure shots so I don't gently caress them up. Also, I'm not too keen on a GorillaPod because I was looking for something a bit more full sized.

Thanks in advance!

I got an Induro CT014 (http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-carbon-ct-series-8x-tripods-ct014.aspx) earlier this year and have been liking it. Have the largest version of the CT014 tripod that I use as well and it has been a tank over the ~5 years I have had it so far.

Edit: replied in a little more detail in the tripod thread in the dorkroom.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 3, 2014

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Terrifying Effigies posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum is this:

Blackwater is just tannins and decaying plant matter, so while it looks like toxic cola its generally safe to drink. The tannins and leaf bits taste disgusting though so you really need a filter to make it palatable.

Drank this for 5 days on a hiking trip this summer, this is an example of the "worst" of it. Actually was some of the better tasting water on the trip.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Camping in the snow is actually pretty great but having the right gear goes a huge way to making it more enjoyable.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I find pitas are the best option if you want to do bread, 3-4 days seem to be the limit for it though after that they tend to get kind of stale.

I also have found lunch to be the trickiest meal and have settled on cheese/crackers and some kind of dried meat. I kind of like things that allow for some flexibility in serving sizes. I am not sure what I would do without cheese/meat. Like others said I feel like peanut butter would likely be a good option.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tortillas are #1, but I've also done pretty well with Trader Joe's lavash bread. It's TJ bread so it'll go moldy after a couple days, but while it lasts it's pretty nice. I thought it went really well with salami & mustard.

Another vegetarian idea: hit up an Indian grocery and take a look around for ready-to-eat food; MTR is one brand I've seen pretty frequently. You can get chana masala, dal, aloo, etc. pre-cooked and shelf-stable. They'll be in little flat cardboard boxes on the shelf, but inside the box is a foil pouch that's perfect for your backpack. On the one hand, they're heavier than dehydrated food and probably not super calorically dense, but on the other, they're cheaper and taste better.

I have had those on canoe trips and the they are actually really good and easy but I am not sure I would want to take them where weight is a concern they are certainly a lot heavier than other options.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Did my first back packing trip of 2022 a few weeks ago, had some great weather.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dick Ripple posted:

Great view, where is that? Also, what tent are you using?

Strathcona Provincial park on Vancouver Island. It is a MEC lightfield tent that has reached the end of its life or at least it needs some repairs. On this trip the glue failed on a few seems (and a window in the front vestibule fell out). Been trying to buy a MSR winter tent for a year or so now but covid etc has made finding gear insane.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Not a Children posted:

Just had our first backpacking trip this weekend! Just a 2-mile out n back kind of deal, and the site we ended up at was just a car camping location. Still, had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

Food-wise, what do people like to do? We enjoyed using our cook kit, just plopped a pan on a canister-mounted ministove to boil water. I'd like to hit the middle ground between "living off of clif bars" and "Spending $10/person/meal on dehydrated meals-in-a-bag at REI"

Also, it's tick season here in the Northeast. What's the best way to fend off the little jerks?

I usually end up doing the $10 a meal dehydrated meals for dinner. They seem like the easiest/lightest option out there unfortunately. You can look into some pasta/instant noodle/rice things but they never seem great. Lunches/breakfasts I tend to do non-commercial solutions (granola, oatmeal etc for breakfast, cheese/crackers/meat or something similar for lunches). On canoe trips I have done some other dinner options (such as boil in bag meals) which are cheaper (arguably better) but are much heavier. Also sucks to have to do dishes in the back country if you are wanting to do it in a leave no trace way (not leaving food scraps etc although this could depend on the facilities at your camp location).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I hate generating trash from camping (I wash and reuse my ziplocs, etc), but it's just a bag, isn't it? It's a fraction of the waste generated driving to the trailhead.

There are a few things like smaller plastic bags but yeah they are essentially a foil lined ziplock so likely not recyclable but yeah not enormous. I suspect it feels like more garbage as you see all your trash at the end of the trip, I imagine most people create more or a similar amount of waste while at home you just are not collecting all of it to see at the end of x number of days.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

xzzy posted:

I get four days of camping in Carmanah Provincial Park next month and I am way too hyped for it. Obsessively scouring google maps and hiking resources deciding where to explore.

Definitely ready for summer adventures and this should be a great kickoff.

I assume this is the one on Vancouver Island, if so top location, easy hiking unbelievable scenery. It is kind of a depressing place though, you spend hour driving through clear cuts then you see impossibly large trees that you can't really compute then realize those trees should have been everywhere. Make sure you are prepared for the road, I have not been out there for a few years but it can be a rough time depending on if there is active logging, I would suggest having at least 1 full size spare tire! I have been out there a few times if you have any specific questions.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

xzzy posted:

Yeah, on Vancouver island. I'll have a local with me so hopefully that keeps me out of trouble.

And the logging is why I want to see it now. While this particular section might survive because it's already been set as a preserve there's lots of other old growth in the region that is unprotected and BC doesn't really seem to give a poo poo about it (because logging jobs are more important). And even without logging it feels to me that climate change is going to start killing these trees so I'm trying to prioritize visiting old growth stands along the pacific coast before they're gone.

But even if I'm completely wrong and they live for another thousand years it's still a worthy trip. If you got GPS of photogenic trees that aren't on the popular list already that would be nice.

Like, say, the mossome grove. :angel:

I have some GPS tracks but I think they are all just the common stuff. If you are going to the main trailhead not too far before you get to the park you cross over what looks to be a very small bridge (and it is) but it is over a crazy deep canyon. I think it is looper canyon which is worth a stop to look at.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bloody posted:

We backpacked in some pretty heavy rain Friday night, and I woke up with a sleeping pad with a damp bottom. Is a wet tent floor an equipment failure, a campsite selection failure, or a bit of both?

Tent floors should be water proof assuming you have a quality tent but will fail over time. I had to replace a MSR tent a year or 2 ago because of that, no visible damage I think the silicone impregnation just fails.

That said camping in a puddle is likely going to increase the chance of water either leaking through or otherwise getting in.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

numberoneposter posted:

I'll have to check that out, do you live on the island or just visiting? I've done quite a bit of backpacking and camping on VI in the past 3 or 4 years even since I got burned out from solo road cycling during covid times but still wanting to do stuff outdoors.

Vancouver Island is pretty rugged, tons of places with no development, and not many people that you have to share the trails with, it's awesome.

I'm actually getting ready to hike Mt Albert Edward tomorrow. I've already done it actually, in just a day trip up and down from Victoria, it was a 23 hour day lol, so this time I'm going with my buddy and we are going to camp at Circlet Lake, summit the next day, then camp again, and come back the next day so 2 nights 3 days. Way more chill. Gonna haul some good food and beverages up there.

Everything on VI has got so much busier since the pandemic started its crazy. The campsite at Circlet lake is huge now. I hiked from Mt Washington to Buttle lake a few years ago which is one of my favourite hikes I have done would recommend although the driving logistics are a pain. Got lots of weird questions from people doing the same trip you are hiking up Albert Edward with a full pack.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

numberoneposter posted:

Just landed some reservation spots for the West Coast Trail. Got August 4-11th at first but had to back out cause I forgot to set the party to "2" and then had to go through a bunch of dates but eventually found Sept 22-28th.

Probably will be nice and dry or possibly very wet. With the weather we have been having the past few summers it is impossible to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

numberoneposter posted:

Yep we won't actually know until the week of.

I did an overnight camp at Sheilds Lake not last summer but the one before. Me and my buddy hiked up, camped on the provincial side as it hasn't been changed over to CRD yet. Any ways we went in October and it was 25 degrees C on the way up. Definitely didn't need all the layers we brought in. But like the next month that's when that women who's body was finally found went missing, in that same area in the same place we started into the trails. poo poo changes real quick here.

I've been out at China Beach in the middle of summer and it's been miserably windy.

Shields Lake and Dog on a hot October day.

This was a 6 day portage around the lakes of Powell River, but that's the tent we will be using, no dogs allowed on the West Coast Trail, so more room.

This was during the heat wave. Had to do everything early. The fresh water was so warm it was wild. Such an amazing trip.

It's going to be a lot of days on the trail. I'm going to have to actually think about meal planning. Last 2 night trip I did with my buddy we brought in so much food it was ridiculous. First night was fine, marinated steak and buttery mushrooms. Next day we just ate carbs.

The food for the first night was great.

This is from the Mt Albert Edward hike I did this year. The tarp is a game changer.

Up.

Merlin has been to the peak twice.

Ansel Adams.

Bit of a photo dump. I'm trying to figure out some easy weekend overnighters from the city. Would do Sheilds lake again for sure.

We have done many similar trips, last time I did the Jaun de Fuca it was insanely busy. The on upside to the WCT is that there is a limited amount of people and there is a lot less struggling to find a place to setup your tent.