Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

an afternoon's of digging around was leading me to a similar conclusion, at least among the well-known state/national park system. nice to hear i'm headed in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i get secret places. going looking around is part of the fun. i mean, near the coast in Del Norte only leaves so many options, looking at maps

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thank you for the titty and fog photos, that’s great

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

when i was in maine there were a couple trees starting to turn

dunno if they just look like that or things get started early up there

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

I hiked a different part of Colorado and noticed that PRETTY STUFF is showing its signs.

Well, kind of. I think these trees are just super stressed because they look like crap and probably spent the last two months baking in insane heat. This was down near Guffy, I was on a mission to visit the oldest trees in the state and they live on Black Mountain.. I parked my car at about 9800 feet and the destination was around another thousand feet in one mile. For me that was a pretty tall order.

But I did get to see the second oldest tree in the state! It's official birthdate is 304BC, but the core samples on it are difficult due to its placement on the slope so estimated age is 2480-2530 years old. The oldest tree in Colorado is on this same slope but there are no pictures of it and people guard the location pretty carefully. I'd like to go back up there again someday and find it but I'm gonna need some hints.

There it is, a tree that's witnessed pretty much all of the bullshit in recorded human history. That limb on the right is the only part still alive.

Also I got to test out my new tent.

what sort of tarp tent is that? i bought one from six moon designs years ago, and really enjoyed it. until i got stuck in a serious storm. then i did not.

my idea of a pretty much perfect camping spot, too

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the x-mids look nice.

all the tent tech in the last ten years is lost on me. i just haven't kept up. i have an old big agnes copper spur ul1 that is great and has been through hell and back. As for packing it, i just cram it in a bag; there's no way i could ever fold it up the same way every time.

i do wish it were lighter though (hence the exploration with the SMD tent a few years ago...)

over the winter i'll probably look into it all more and might pick up a new tent and sleeping pad. sleeping pads are another thing i haven't kept up on.

anyone know the expected life of a sleeping bag? mine is a marmot 15F down bag from about 11 years ago. i've washed it... maybe four times? it was great recently in ~35F temps. I'm curious how it would do at the lower range these days, but i haven't been out in those temps in a while. I bought it when i spent more time in montana and wyoming, where i'm going to visit next year for the first time since 2019. i generally expect chaos when i'm in wyoming.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

What slave owner/Native American butcher was it named after

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

ty

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

how do you get lost going up elbert

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Go to the bottom of black canyon of the gunnison. Or go there at all. No one else does

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Amazing looking trip. There’s so much to see outside the US and I’ll only see a sliver of it.

A small note about the photo that depicts the area where a glacier was; glaciers don’t disappear for summer. They disappear forever (as far as we’re concerned).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the further you get from denver, the fewer people you'll see. colorado is all pretty nuts, relatively speaking, in the summer. plenty of people can speak to it with more intelligence than i can, but places like rmnp/sawatch/collegiates can get crowded. as in, on the weekends you might be screwed finding a place to car camp.

it's a long drive, but the only place i've gone to TWICE in colorado is the highland mary lakes area just east of silverton. high alpine meadows and vistas forever. usually only a dozen cars or so at the trailhead. if you don't want to go as far, but do want to miss some crowds, the never summers are right outside rmnp but aren't as officially developed, and so get skipped a lot by people who don't know. moose city, too.

i, and others, could go on forever i'm sure.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

armorer posted:

I lived with cats for years and also used permethrin spray with no issues. I sprayed everything on a line outside and let it thoroughly dry before bringing it back in (I do this anyway now as well, even though I no longer have a cat).

Yeah I've done this for a decade

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The rubies are low key one of the coolest places I’ve been

Hike the long crest. There’s no water and it’s up and down at high elevation, but the views are worth it. I’ve never anything quite like it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

smartwool sucks

i have a few things from before they were bought by a private equity firm in 2011. they're great, no holes, etc. got some socks as a gift like ten years ago, they didn't make it a year

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That’s a giant power bank, not a radio

Wtf

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3714480

e: hmm wait that's not quite it

i don't have time to look further right now, but that's on the right path

e2: oh yes it is, he stops responding after a few pages, his hike starts on page 24

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 13, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i'm visiting the redwoods this week. posting up on the coast of northern california and seeing what i can for a week

anyone have advice? i can and will do anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Are these places all going to be packed this time of year? I’m thinking about heading down, but want to avoid crowds. Any primitive camping with good big trees?

primitive camping with redwoods sounds hard unless you wanna go off trail. i won't be doing any camping, however.

i've had a fern creek reservation for a while

I'm purposefully going BEFORE memorial day

thanks to those of you with suggestions so far, this is great

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 13, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Are these places all going to be packed this time of year? I’m thinking about heading down, but want to avoid crowds. Any primitive camping with good big trees?
i lied, looks like you can camp on the banks of the river here

again dunno about crowding

https://www.redwoodhikes.com/RNP/RedwoodCreek.html

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah i saw that

i mean it's all stuff i don't have in queens so whatever, i'm there to walk around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm still haunted by that video of a few years back of a hiker finding a cub on the trail and immediately realizing how hosed he was, and having to very loudly back his way down the trail while the mom stalked him for a good five minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkV5NRADmYQ

Absolute nightmare scenario, no exaggeration