Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Great OP, thanks Triangulum!

This dog right here

(Delta)

and this one

(Sigma) (what do fellow GSD people think of his topline?)

are my two dogs. People will pull their cars over to ask if they are police dogs, its pretty funny.

Delta is having issues with one of her feet. She is allergic to wheat, and we let her have a bit of leftovers. Dumb on our part, but she adores fettucini alfredo :saddowns: Her foot has been cleaned, creamed, and bandaged and is improving but now she is limping around whenever we are looking vaguely in her direction. If we aren't to be seen, she can walk just fine. Dog is too smart for her own good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

cryingscarf posted:

I was curious if anyone has more information on this part? I have never heard of that before and find it interesting. Are there specific patterns that are considered masculine/feminine?

You can sort of see in my pictures, look at their muzzles. Sigma has longer lips that make his muzzle look deeper and heavier, while Delta's lips are just long enough to cover her teeth and give her a sleeker muzzle. Females will often have narrower, sleeker heads and less loose skin/ruff around the neck. I'll see if I can find more pictures to compare my two. Edit: Bah, Sigma is still growing into himself and he often looks kind of scrawny in my pictures. The best examples I have are more of male vs female muzzle. Go to the Wildhaus link and look at their dogs vs bitches. The differences are really evident and I like the looks of males and females equally.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 10, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Delty :3:

I don't know why it took us so long to notice the notch in her right ear.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

notsowelp posted:

(Sorry for sperging on about this stuff in the GSD thread, if anyone would prefer I'd be happy to take the discussion somewhere different.)

Its all very interesting, I love learning about research without having to slog through the papers themselves :D But I'm going to post more pictures of my dogs to counter the stats.

More recent, out grouse/moose hunting. Delta again:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

notsowelp posted:

:3: I'd definitely mistake him for a purebred. Do you clip/shave his coat, out of interest?

My Akita looked like that when she was blowing her coat.

Duke is a cutie and fooled me :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Warbadger posted:

All examples given are used to herd livestock aside from the two guardian dog examples and I made the distinction between livestock guardian dogs and herders in my post - hence the two examples. Some dogs are used in both roles and I don't really care if you use a more narrowly defined definition, because it isn;t at all relevant to the topic. "Solid white" Old English Sheepdogs may not be accepted but they come awfully close, which is why I called it a "probably counts" on this topic and I'm sure if you really want to look you can find other herding breeds that are acceptable with solid white coats.

This is the GSD thread and nothing in this post is about GSDs :colbert: You edited in one comment about GSDs, haha.

Maybe you could post something interesting and useful about GSDs? Do you have a GSD? I would love to see pictures because they are cool dogs and pretty much all you've posted is about eugenics and white dogs and Nazis.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

That's also a kinda lovely, top down picture. Here's a better one:
http://www.granvillegsd.com/kashmirs-accomplishments.html
although, I still would prefer a little more slope to the rear.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Both matches look good to me but I really think you have your heart set on a Wildhaus dog :)

Kashmir and Coltrane's accomplishments seem lackluster to me :/ Conformation achievements, sure. Then a dabble of basics and a little lure coursing. Are these dogs a good representative of the GSD, with a sharp mind and lots of drive? I don't see that from what the breeder has listed as Accomplishments. However, this breeder seems amazing with her focus on health. And if she is so new its ok to be a little forgiving. She got her dogs titled and maybe 2013 will be the Year of Obedience/Agility/SchH/Lure Coursing/Herding/Whatever.

Maybe this is why it is so important to see the sire and dam as a life less suggests. If you meet Kashmir and Coltrane, their presence and personalities may blow you out of the water. On paper to me, they look like show dogs. Personally I think GSDs should be "more than" a show dog.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WolfensteinBag posted:

Is there something wrong that, on paper, I don't have a problem with this? :shobon: I think I've gotten a skewed view of things from dealing with CsVs for so long, though. With a smaller breeding pool and an attitude that doesn't necessarily lend itself to high titling, I've quit being so strict in "ALL PARENTS MUST BE SchH TITLED!!! :black101:
the whole goal of getting GSD from a breeder, aside from health, was a very biddable temperament. :(

Seriously crossing my fingers that Wildhaus has something for us next year! :ohdear:

I don't really care about show dogs on paper either. I still don't like a working dog whose purpose and personality has been changed to fit the show ring but to each their own! I just wanted to speak up because of your goal.

But there are a lot of GSDs, so you can get exactly what you want. This isn't the CsV where you may need to compromise, which also helps the breed develop. You have the luxury of being choosy, you just need to trust the breeder will ship you the right pup (I wouldn't personally fly all over to look at sires & dams).

The bad part is waiting :( I really do think you should wait for Wildhaus, you seem to really love everything about them :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Went target shooting a couple of days ago because I got a new .22. Brought the dags because dogs and guns go hand in hand right??

Sigma goes crazy yelping and barking in excitement when we are about to shoot. We did actually get a squirrel and they ate it so I guess he has reason to be happy about gunshots.

Delta whines, she doesn't bark or yelp. At one point she play-bowed at me when I was lining up to shoot a frozen milk jug :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Edit ^^^ Thanks for that! Sigma's front paws turn out like #2, and you can see in my picture below his tail isn't ideal. And his ears are too wideset, and one is only half erect. Delta? Flawless :smugdog: No really, I can't see flaws but she's my favourite so I'm just a little biased :)

Dogs packin' stuff

They were soooo tiiiiired after that hike. The snow was deeper than their bellies, and of course they have to dolphin-jump around instead of following behind our snowshoe path. I highly recommend the Ruffwear Approach packs.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 12, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I got a Jolly Egg a week ago :) It has a few punctures but neither dog has picked it up yet. Sigma is determined he will. Delta growls and talks at it when its her turn :3: I can't wait for summer, they can't get any speed up with the egg in all this snow.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

wtftastic posted:

Not that this has anything to do with the classes and Venca, per se, but I wouldn't want to work with someone who was unwilling to directly address me. Its the year 2013, for Christ's sake.

Holy poo poo, I got so mad reading about how they spoke to your husband and not you, Triangulum :argh: I wouldn't choose that club either, because I hold a mean grudge.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

He looks lovely! Gotta love that robust muzzle and rich colouring.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I had the dogs out with the Jolly Egg today. They pin it down and try to bite it, so I go over and knock it away with my foot so they can actually chase it for 2 seconds.

Delta chomped on the top of my foot :saddowns: She seemed surprised that the egg got kind of soft-ish. My foot really hurts, I hope she didn't crack anything. Protip: Don't put your foot near the toy of an excited dog that has been bred to bite things including people!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

My male dog has this too. He runs so hard during fetch he callused up his legs from skidding to a stop. My female does not have these calluses, because she is a bit too self-possessed to skid frantically after a mere ball :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I want a clone of Heidi. She is magnificent!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I have seen softball sized chuckit balls! My dogs have the regular M size and L. I don't want to get XL cuz we would need another chucker.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Ok Malamutes are friggin' awesome. This is one of the most beautiful dogs I have seen.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Ahahaha yes I do! How did I type Malamute?? I am not distracted, not looking at pictures of them or anything.. :)

ETA: I also like Malamutes and would like one one day :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

WBag, you have the patience of a saint. A zen saint.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oxford Comma, I just wanted to say I like the cut of your jib. You have a way with words.

Edit to add:

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 21, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I have littermates, and I don't recommend it. Its a lot, I mean a lot of work to raise them properly. Littermates that are raised together will bond extremely strongly. You will need to separate them a lot: feeding, kenneling, play, and walks should be separate. Of course you will need to train them separately. This will help them bond to their people.

Ideally, get the second one in a year. I would say 2 years based on how my dogs developed.

A matched pair of GSDs is very cool. People pull their cars over to compliment my two :3

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I do want to say, because I believe I am the only person so far who has chimed in who HAS actually raised littermates more-or-less successfully:

If you and your spouse or a very responsible teenager are ready and willing to do this, raising 2 puppies is no worse than raising one. But you will each have YOUR dog and you cannot shirk responsibility. Yeah, it totally fine to let them play together and exercise them together a bunch, but you need to treat them as individuals and not like "the dogs," if that makes sense.

I find raising puppies fun and rewarding and not really too much work, and I got these guys in November in northern BC, with -20 weather and no yard to make housebreaking a really fun time :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Pez Rattie posted:

Do not get two at the same time. GSDs are pretty special dogs and it's important to create a good foundation with them in your relationship, training and socialization for the first couple of years.

Malacept already said they were going to get one for now :confused:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Ohhhh she looks so soft :3:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

GSD people, what do you think about Black Lion Kennels? When I was training my little mutt dog, it was with Don Evans Training. I really liked Don (and he liked me, he said if he needed an employee I had the raw talent to help him train dogs :3: )and I really liked his dogs, which would have been the foundation of Black Lion.

Their website doesn't discuss their dogs much, but from what they have: what do you think?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Awesome! I got a great impression from their website. Thanks WBag, I know you have done so much research. Your opinion matters to me :h: and I'm really glad you like them too.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Merry Christmas

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 26, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kali is beautiful and I love her! Those fat puppy legs are the best thing :3:

Skizzles posted:

Also, paging Fraction, because I find it hilarious there's another GSD in PI named Kali. :iamafag:

Fixed that!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Pardon the crooked horizon

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Dust Radio posted:

Ok, look.

The fact that PI is aware that I utilize a prong collar during training does not mean that you necessarily have any idea exactly how I'm training my dog, nor what combination of methods I am using

PI gets tense sometimes :) I have used prongs on both my dogs to little detriment. I cannot speak for their internal level of stress or how things will go years down the road, but I am cautious and careful and things are fine for me.

Choose your trainer carefully, and if you have already done so - great!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Its time to go hunting. Sometimes dogs get bored when we sit and watch.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Suspect Bucket posted:

Is the dog trained to help, or just there for company? Also, whatcha going for?

A little bit of A and B. Mostly just for company, and sometimes we are out almost from dawn to dusk and don't like leaving them at home. Those pictures are when we were looking for black bear. We eat them, if you get a good grass- and blueberry-fed bear the meat is very nice.

Last week we were out and shot two grouse. Sigma (the guy with his chin on my .300 WSM) found the one bird who managed to hop into the bush, and he fetched it live to hand. That's definitely not what a GSD is meant to do, its great if they have a nice hard mouth, but it was a great perk to bringing the dogs on a hunt. Grouse are instantly camouflaged in the undergrowth, and we were able to save the meat and give the dogs the offal as a reward :)

ETA: We do a bit of nosework with them, as my husband has hopes that they will track down a bear or moose for us some day. I don't know, Sigma is fairly weak nerved and I think he would need too much handler reassurrance. Delta (the one with her chin in my hand) is very confident. I don't know if I would trust her offlead with large game, I worry she might get herself into trouble. She is smart and fast, but I worry about my Delty.

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 9, 2014

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

These good dogs turned 4 today :)

Delta knows how I roll, but Sigma hates how cruel I can be

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oh yaaaay so happy for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

KingPave posted:

My parents GSD had a check up on Wed the 27th, vet felt an unusual lump so they scheduled an ultrasound. There was a tumour found in his spleen. The vet warned my parents that it might be a hemangiosarcoma and to prepare for the worst, as a result both my parents have been in tears at the possible loss of their (well, he's mine too) dog (one of two, the other is a golden retriever). The GSD is 4 years old now, so it was a little unexpected.

Anyway, the vet organised for an X-Ray to confirm if it had travelled to the lungs, which turned out to be clear. They operated and removed his spleen, as well as checked his liver for anything unusual. He's recovering fine, thankfully. Hopefully he'll be home tomorrow, though the vet wants him x-rayed once every 2-3 months, as well as having regular check ups at the same time. Thankfully its the regular check ups that allowed the vet to find the issue in the first place.

There's no point to this post, just needed to say it somewhere since most people I interact with don't quite get my affection for my dogs (even if they are my parents dogs, I consider them mine - both of them treat me differently to anyone else (including my parents) and respond to me as if I was always there).

How scary! I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

• Locked thread