Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like I clearly felt that Dukie’s ending was not a good place for him. Maybe he makes it off the street, but we saw other addicts throughout the series that didn’t.

At least with Michael it was pretty clear he was going to end up in some kind of position of violence, but Dukie had the best chance to get off the streets with the help from Prez and still got dragged down.

Randy is the most tragic because a lot of what happens to him is completely out of his hands, and all indication is that he is just going to end up bouncing in and out of the system most of his life.

turns out the kid with the highest chance of success was the one from a better-off family. Except Donut. He will be president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
quote = not edit

bucketybuck posted:

Poot didn't even have to be there, and he didn't have to shoot Wallace, it was Bodie that Stringer gave the job to.

Bodie had already shot Wallace, there was no need for Poot to take the gun from Bodie and put a few more rounds into him.

So Poot wasn't pushing Bodie to do the job, but since it had to be done he decided to stand by Bodie and share the blame.

To me that scene reads as Poot being far more mentally equipped to do what Bodie pretened he was ready to do. I also saw Poot's decision to kill Wallace as an act or mercy. He was bleeding out and suffering. Poot gave him a quicker death.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

People here are so wild for Poot; I thought there would be something this season to justify it but I guess it's just a meme. What I remember about Poot: awful name, wore lovely polo shirts, pushed Bodie over the edge to kill Wallace, sucked at running the pit, fled Bodie's death on the corner, worked at Footlocker. Terrible.

Tray Chaney was putting in pretty middling work as Poot, and he's almost always paired up with J. D. Williams, who is putting on a clinic in every scene and makes Bodie one of the top 5 characters in the whole show for most viewers. Poot is basically an accessory for Bodie, only exists to be a foil and sounding board to give Bodie more to do.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
who the gently caress is dennis

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Ask your moms

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

PostNouveau posted:

J. D. Williams, who is putting on a clinic in every scene and makes Bodie one of the top 5 characters in the whole show for most viewers

Oh, this would be fun to do. Let's see, my top five overall:

1.) Bubbles
2.) Lester Freamon
3.) Frank Sobotka
4.) Omar Little
5.) Stringer Bell

So where would Bodie land? If I keep it going...

6.) Prop Joe
7.) Clay Davis
8.) Cedric Daniels
9.) Bunk Moreland
10.) Avon Barksdale
11.) Rhonda Pearlman
12.) Maurice Levy
13.) Snoop
14.) Bodie
15.) Norman

Top 15 isn't bad!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/david-simon-hbo-series-child-protective-services-1235932245/

https://x.com/variety/status/1765437380368982223?s=46

“The project is based on a series of New Yorker articles written by MacFarquhar. The official description states that the show "will examine the foster care and child protective service systems from the viewpoint of family court judges and lawyers, as well as social workers, caretakers, mothers, and the children themselves, and will probe the risks and benefits of removing children from families of origin."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

surf rock posted:

Oh, this would be fun to do. Let's see, my top five overall:

1.) Bubbles
2.) Lester Freamon
3.) Frank Sobotka
4.) Omar Little
5.) Stringer Bell

So where would Bodie land? If I keep it going...

6.) Prop Joe
7.) Clay Davis
8.) Cedric Daniels
9.) Bunk Moreland
10.) Avon Barksdale
11.) Rhonda Pearlman
12.) Maurice Levy
13.) Snoop
14.) Bodie
15.) Norman

Top 15 isn't bad!
How is Bunk that low, and no McNulty at all?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
McNulty, seeing the list: what the gently caress did I do?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Cheese getting what he deserves is one of my favorite moments in the last episode and why Slim Charles should be ranked higher.

Also, Poot is looking a little too low on that list.

It hets better because Method Man had noticed that when other character died, people on the internet wrote about how tragic their death was and so on. So he decided to check what people wrote after Cheese died and it was all just "he got what he deserved."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

surf rock posted:

People here are so wild for Poot; I thought there would be something this season to justify it but I guess it's just a meme. What I remember about Poot: awful name, wore lovely polo shirts, pushed Bodie over the edge to kill Wallace, sucked at running the pit, fled Bodie's death on the corner, worked at Footlocker. Terrible.

Don't forget the other thing for Poot, getting lots of action with the ladies AND lots of trips to the clinic :v:

Also, I think you misread Poot's actions when Marlo has Bodie killed. Poot warns him that he's, effectively, a dead man and should either lay low or get the gently caress out of town, but Bodie refuses and says he will stand tall and continue operating as he has because he didn't do anything wrong. Poot stands with him and is prepared to fight as well, but Bodie tells him to leave because they both know it's only Bodie that's the target.

The last we see of Poot (before his cameo in season 5) is him getting jacked up by McNulty and explaining that Bodie got got because someone saw him with a cop and thought he turned snitch. Poot tells McNulty to cuff him, harass him, beat him, whatever because McNulty's actions are getting people needlessly killed

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah Poot stayed with Bodie way, way longer than anyone else during his last stand, putting his own safety at risk. Bodie dismisses Poot, who just barely gets away before becoming collateral damage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

escape artist posted:

BTW - I started doing a rewatch of Homicide. Anyone down to do that? the DVD was recently re-released, so those it's not on streaming services, it is finally available for purchase. There's also other ways to get it. I have HBO Max too so theoretically I could do those Deadwood writeups soon...

I have the first season of Homicide, so at least that I'd be down for.

I'd be mega down for Deadwood though.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Watch We Own This City next and do recaps please.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Alhazred posted:

It hets better because Method Man had noticed that when other character died, people on the internet wrote about how tragic their death was and so on. So he decided to check what people wrote after Cheese died and it was all just "he got what he deserved."

Method Man did a great job with that character.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

There’s an idea! It’s only five episodes, too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

:hmmyes:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Orange Devil posted:

I've seen it so it would be a rewatch, but I might be done for a rewatch given how short it is.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
https://youtu.be/7rWuJ3eD6Qc?si=pDnWo8zbg3DbTiVo

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

bentacos posted:

Ask your moms

lmao

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

For some reason I really like the guy that busts Orlando.

"City jail, muthafucka" :smuggo:

I've also never seen We Own This City. I'd watch along.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
gently caress, 30 new posts in a slow thread and Im all "who the gently caress died?"

theblackw0lf posted:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/david-simon-hbo-series-child-protective-services-1235932245/

https://x.com/variety/status/1765437380368982223?s=46

“The project is based on a series of New Yorker articles written by MacFarquhar. The official description states that the show "will examine the foster care and child protective service systems from the viewpoint of family court judges and lawyers, as well as social workers, caretakers, mothers, and the children themselves, and will probe the risks and benefits of removing children from families of origin."

Thank god it's this because I can't think of a better person than Simon to tackle this and lord knows we'll get great actors, little hand holding and no whitewashing. Can't wait even though I already know it's gonna be a sad watch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

escape artist posted:

BTW - I started doing a rewatch of Homicide. Anyone down to do that? the DVD was recently re-released, so those it's not on streaming services, it is finally available for purchase. There's also other ways to get it. I have HBO Max too so theoretically I could do those Deadwood writeups soon...
I would read along for this - I never watched Homicide but I've been intrigued since I started reading this thread however many years ago. I also really liked Show Me a Hero if we're pitching other David Simon shows and that is, like We Own This City, is a short miniseries.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
*cancels vacation*

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i'm about to start season 5 of my rewatch and this time around my favorite line so far is sergei's borderline despondent "why always boris" after he's been arrested

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The best part about We Own This City is Jamie Hector/Marlo as a mild mannered homicide detective. If we're plumping for Simon shows I'll shout out The Deuce. It's the closest to The Wire in terms of scope and goes over some of the same territory (and has a ton of fun new roles for Wire alums). The only negatives about it in my mind are it's extremely bleak, especially later on (although it still finds time for humor and character moments), and it co-stars acting coach molestor and teen groomer James Franco, which sucks, but I still think the show is worth checking out.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
oh everything in ny seems bad if you only focus on the pimps and the CHUDs

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Randallteal posted:

The best part about We Own This City is Jamie Hector/Marlo as a mild mannered homicide detective. If we're plumping for Simon shows I'll shout out The Deuce. It's the closest to The Wire in terms of scope and goes over some of the same territory (and has a ton of fun new roles for Wire alums). The only negatives about it in my mind are it's extremely bleak, especially later on (although it still finds time for humor and character moments), and it co-stars acting coach molestor and teen groomer James Franco, which sucks, but I still think the show is worth checking out.

I loved The Deuce but I can't abide how much James Franco is on the screen for a rewatch. There are a ton of great Wire alum on it though, especially Anwan Glover. Larry Gilliard as a cop was fun. Chris Bauer was great. Method Man hilarious as another sleezebag. Also my favorite Maggie Gylenhaal role, I think.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 7, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Show Me A Hero is also real good. Did not get as much heat as We Own This City, but is right up there in quality in my mind

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Show Me A Hero is excellent, but We Own This City is just such a great companion piece to The Wire.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Show Me a Hero is fantastic (and maddening, in the best David Simon fashion) and I loved the return to Baltimore for We Own This City. Can't wait for his new show, even though yeah it's gonna end up making me really loving sad, especially if he gets George Pelecanos involved.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The Corner, The Wire and We Own This City make kinda of a trilogy

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There is a Homicide: Life on the Set podcast premiering today. I am gonna use that as a sign to start the Homicide watch. That one is going to take a long time so theoretically I can get through WOTC probably in between seasons of Homicide or something.

I'm hoping to have a back surgery or even two this year. So I anticipate being, well laid up. I kind of already am in a sense. Anyway, this could give me something fun to focus on.

https://podnews.net/press-release/homicide-life-on-the-street

escape artist fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 7, 2024

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Was Wallace in Friday Night Lights?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yep!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I've never seen homicide or we own this city

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

surf rock posted:

1.) Frank Sobotka
2.) Nobody else matters

Hey, Ziggy’s Duck mattered to me man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Hey, Ziggy’s Duck mattered to me man.

He’s not supposed to take that thing out at the bar anymore

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Still fucks me up that Ziggy managed to get that duck inside Maui's computer like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm watching an episode of Homicide and the guy who played Rupert Bond is playing a street criminal