Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

escape artist posted:

I'm watching an episode of Homicide and the guy who played Rupert Bond is playing a street criminal
I don't know if you ever watched Oz but it's like, a sea of Wire actors, both in bit parts and as regulars. It's very jarring. Looking forward to your Homicide write-ups!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

PostNouveau posted:

Tray Chaney was putting in pretty middling work as Poot, and he's almost always paired up with J. D. Williams, who is putting on a clinic in every scene and makes Bodie one of the top 5 characters in the whole show for most viewers. Poot is basically an accessory for Bodie, only exists to be a foil and sounding board to give Bodie more to do.

IIRC, Chaney had originally auditioned for WeeBay. Even though they with with Hassan Johnson, they created Poot because Chaney had impressed them so much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I got about halfway through We Own this City before my schedule got changed and I think I only have like an episode left.
It's neat to see what Colicchio has been up to, and frankly it's not really a surprise.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Being in Ukraine?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

IIRC, Chaney had originally auditioned for WeeBay. Even though they with with Hassan Johnson, they created Poot because Chaney had impressed them so much.

God, this is just so hard to picture.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

God, this is just so hard to picture.

Yeah, i mean obviously he'd bring a different energy to that character i'm sure, but he's so young-looking, I can't see it either.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, i mean obviously he'd bring a different energy to that character i'm sure, but he's so young-looking, I can't see it either.

Right, Poot was never really menacing so I don't want to assume the actor just couldn't do it, but he's got such a baby face.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know if you ever watched Oz but it's like, a sea of Wire actors, both in bit parts and as regulars. It's very jarring. Looking forward to your Homicide write-ups!

Oz was the first HBO show I watched, even before the Sopranos. Probably not the best thing for a 14 year old to watch but I was hooked and downloaded the entire series from KaZaa. :lol:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted in the GBS Trump thread...
"You never see statuesque blondes anymore. Buxom ones neither."

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

deoju posted:

Spotted in the GBS Trump thread...

"You never see statuesque blondes anymore. Buxom ones neither."

was she in oz

bort
Mar 13, 2003

awesmoe posted:

was she in oz
The woman Beecher runs over was pregnant with her.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
feeling statuesque rn. Not very buxom tho

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

All of these lists and ranking, and no one has done a combined list of the fattest asses and the best pussies.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

All of these lists and ranking, and no one has done a combined list of the fattest asses and the best pussies.

pussi

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I listened to the 20th anniversary HBO podcast hosted by Method Man (fine but not very interesting), and I'm now listening to the Van Lathan/Jemele Hill episode reviews that The Ringer put out in 2020 (way better).

I'm up to their discussion of season 1, episode 12, and it reminded me of the scene where the cops talk to Wallace's mom. It made me think a bit about the moms in The Wire, and I had to break it down into three tiers.

Good moms

1.) Cheryl (???): good move in booting Kima at her worst
2.) Elena (Sean, Michael): kids seem like they're turning out pretty normal despite the McNulty of it all
3.) Rae (???): probably smart to keep her brother Bubbles separated from her child until she knew he had recovered
4.) Jen (???): if a sandwich in the VCR is as bad as it gets in the Carcetti household, she's killing it
5.) Donette (Tyrell): bad girlfriend but the kid seems like he's doing alright

Iffy moms

6.) Beadie (Jack, Cary): severe deduction for inviting McNulty into the family unit
7.) Joan (Nick): Nick Sobotka turned out kinda lovely so I'm not impressed
8.) Brianna (D'Angelo): leaned on her son not to testify, but generally protective

Bad moms

9.) ??? (Dukie): sold her son's school clothes
10.) Darcia (Wallace): doesn't care about her son's wellbeing
11.) Raylene: (Michael/Bug): generally pathetic, welcomes home an abuser
12.) De'Londa (Namond): blew her money on luxuries and pushed her son into harm's way when the spigot turned off to keep her lifestyle intact

Arguably De'Londa should be #9 since Namond was provided for, but that wasn't through any doing of her own and she's the only one without an addiction (that we know of) to help explain her behavior.

edit: not going to bother to do a dad ranking since there aren't any good dads in The Wire (there are a couple of loving dads, but that's not enough to make a good dad)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No you have it right, De'Londa is the worst one

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lieutenant Daniels doing a fake Jamaican accent was one of the highlights of Oz. If anyone watches Oz though be prepared to bail as soon as it starts getting weird, I made it as far as the aging drug arc before I realized how much I was regretting spending my time watching it. It really goes off the rails and straight into the deep end in later seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Ringer podcast was really enjoyable, can't believe it was 4 years ago already.

Looks at original airdate of Oz and Homicide :stonklol:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

surf rock posted:

Iffy moms

6.) Beadie (Jack, Cary): severe deduction for inviting McNulty into the family unit

When she invites McNulty in, he's not in Homicide or Major Crimes, but mental health wise he's better than normal McNulty is how I recall it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

surf rock posted:

Good moms

1.) Cheryl (???):

Elijah is the kiddos name.

Miss Anna seems to be a good foster mom for Randy. Honestly can't blame her for stopping after getting a molotov cocktail through her window and being burned.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

surf rock posted:

edit: not going to bother to do a dad ranking since there aren't any good dads in The Wire (there are a couple of loving dads, but that's not enough to make a good dad)

Bunny?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

V-Men posted:

When she invites McNulty in, he's not in Homicide or Major Crimes, but mental health wise he's better than normal McNulty is how I recall it.
Yes I think at that point he's just in Western patrol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do you think carver would be a good dad? I bet he’d get there eventually but I don’t think he was ready for Randy. Not that where Randy ends up would be better

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes I think by the end of the series he could do it

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Carver has a great arc. He starts out being about thumping skulls and then slowly starts to realize that the system isn't about justice and promotion favors people who play the game and don't care. He sees Bunny's experiment and is one of the few cops trying to make it work because at least someone is trying something new, if incredibly flawed. The reason he tries to foster Randy isn't because he wants Randy or to foster any kid (which can only lead to problems) but because he's trying to help someone who did the right thing, that the system betrayed.

The school admin threatening Randy's foster position to get him to snitch is downright administrative evil.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/Ziggys_Duck/status/1772595727996235846?s=19

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For those who don't know, that bridge is :nws: loving GONE now :stare:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

For those who don't know, that bridge is :nws: loving GONE now :stare:

Holy poo poo that’s fuckin scary

bort
Mar 13, 2003

RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0t98Dod98g

e:

bort fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 26, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Surely the Greek is behind this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is what happens when you automate the docks.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Surely the Greek is behind this.

Lol snicker lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Prez was driving the boat

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Random Staffer: Senator Davis!! The Key bridge has been destroyed by a cargo ship

Davis: SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTT.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 26, 2024

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Random Staffer: Councilman Davis!! The Key bridge has been destroyed by a cargo ship

Davis: SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTT.

A buddy sent a clip of Clay saying that when he heard about the bridge.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
cargo ship that can't change direction: "the gently caress did I do?"

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Spotted in the OSHA thread

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pokeyman posted:

cargo ship that can't change direction: "the gently caress did I do?"

Rawls tried to warn us

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I know it's may seem petty in light of the events of yesterday but I just can't get it out of my head. Frasier. You're telling me a balding white dude from Seattle gets to smash that much? And he wasn't slaying hood rats, neither.

They throw mad gold statues at the Crane brothers but The Wire only won twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Better Call Saul never won a single Emmy, I believe, which is even more egregious