Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Currently watching Oz and re-watching The Wire simultaneously (and pretending all the shared actors are playing their Wire origin stories in Oz) and the scene that always makes me laugh is Bunk at the end of season two looking at a table full of photos of decapitated bodies with their hands cut off and says "I bet you there's a fuckin' police detective somewheres else looking at a table full of heads right now."

Just pure unadulterated gallows humor

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I take back what I said before, the funniest line in the series is Bubbles calling hotdogs Pimp Steaks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Watching The Crown and it's so weird seeing McNulty as Prince Charles.

I saw an interview with him about The Wire and it really threw me off hearing him with an English accent

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

surf rock posted:

- I'm obviously familiar with the idea of teaching the test, but it's wild to have every class not only directly teaching the questions but all in the same unit (language arts) regardless of the class's subject. Oof.

Season 4 is set in 2005/2006 where this kind of stuff was common practice in schools throughout the US, it was peak No Child Left Behind era. I graduated in 2005 and throughout highschool we had an entire class that we all attended for several hours a week that literally taught us how to cheat at standardized tests - they taught us about common answer patterns and all kinds of "test-taking strategies" like how to deduce the right answer without even reading the question (e.g. "if one answer is significantly longer than the others it's virtually guaranteed to be the right answer, so select it and skip the question"). It was all focused around English and Math no matter what teacher was teaching it, because those were the only things our standardized tests covered. Also it was generally taught by teachers of other subjects (science, non-English languages, art, social studies, history, etc) so that the English/Math teachers could keep teaching us English & Math like normal.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 28, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know if you ever watched Oz but it's like, a sea of Wire actors, both in bit parts and as regulars. It's very jarring. Looking forward to your Homicide write-ups!

Lieutenant Daniels doing a fake Jamaican accent was one of the highlights of Oz. If anyone watches Oz though be prepared to bail as soon as it starts getting weird, I made it as far as the aging drug arc before I realized how much I was regretting spending my time watching it. It really goes off the rails and straight into the deep end in later seasons.