Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Billa posted:

I just read the wikipedia article about IFTTT but I still don't understand the whole thing, can anyone please explain what is?

It leverages various web services to allow you to make things happen automatically. If This happens, Then That happens. A good example is a simple CraigsList recipe. Save a craiglist search url, and tell IFTTT to email you the post if a matching result pops up.

Another example is keeping your various social networks sync'd up. If you post a picture to tumblr, you can have it also uploaded to <whatever>.

It gets more advanced, but that's the basic idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

CaptainCaveman posted:

Huh, I didn't know apps could tell if a screenshot was taken on iOS. Also if people are sending pictures they don't actually want someone to save, I guess it's great you can get a notification telling you it's too late to do anything about it now.

You have to touch the screen to see the picture, and taking a screenshot disables all touch input. It's quite clever, really.

Although the first thing the app does when you open it is ask permission to upload ALL of your contacts to their servers. Seems shady all around.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I need an app to turn 5 pictures into an animated gif file. Google is leading me to terrible spammy social network bullshit. Any suggestions?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dos anyone use the Twitch app? Is it fairly common for feeds that work in Safari to just show a black screen in the app itself?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there an app that will let you splice images together? I want to make one long screen shot from iOS screenshots.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there an app that's like AirVideo but will allow me to rename and delete the files as well as view them?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been staring at vinepeek.com off and and on all day. It's addicting.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
For those that use Splashtop, is it normal for the SRfeature process to eat up 30-50% of my CPU? If not, where would I start troubleshooting?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

dabre_aiamim posted:

The splashtop process takes up ~40% of my CPU when in use. The 'smooth' option is actually worse, if you can believe that.

japtor posted:

I only tried the demo out for a little while but I think I saw the same CPU usage. I think it's just encoding the screen as a video stream so I'm not sure of a way around it, on the Mac at least. On Windows I think it can use Quick Sync on Sandy* and Ivy Bridge CPUs which should hopefully make the CPU use negligible.

Good to know. I tested TeamViewer and for my purposes it's working a lot better.SplashTop was definitely better quality, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does tweetbot sync where you are in your feed between iPad/iPhone?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

hypersleep posted:

Yes. You can actually choose to use Tweetmarker or iCloud to sync your place.

Then it is time to ditch the official twitter app. :)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Feenix posted:

Google doesn't care.

Reader has always been a weird stepchild that Google has no idea what to do with. It's also my favorite service they do by miles and miles.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

Probably because they generally haven't hosed around with it a whole lot since its release. The blessing and curse of Google Reader.

Well, they gutted the sharing and comment features a few years back in favor of G+, making them one of the few companies to gut their existing social network while trying to build a new one. loving insanity.

I just realized this probably isn't the thread for this, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Question Mark Mound posted:

A look at the version release history on the store page implies that it's been out since May 2012.

I posted it about in the new XBMC thread a month or so ago and thought it was new as well. :shobon:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Can someone recommend a tumblr app? The official one is fine, but doesn't support multiple accounts. Searching "tumblr" in the App Store is a waste as well, it brings up 300+ image apps.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

skaboomizzy posted:

Facebook 6.0 on iPhone is terrible. The help function is totally useless; I had to hunt around articles online to find out how to get my feed to go to Most Recent, and I have to manually set it to that every time. And once I've done that, it shows all the noisy poo poo my friends are doing (adding friends, commenting on and liking photos, etc).

This isn't the app, it's Facebook.

If you don't want to see your friends' garbage, add them all to a list and set that list to only display status updates and photos. Otherwise you have to set that for each friend individually. You'll still get the dumb rear end photos that they share from other sites, but it's better than nothing.

I loving hate FB, but I'm kind of locked in because of how scattered my friends and family are. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xzzy posted:

It is possible to keep in touch without using a website. I know, because I've done it!

Yes I'm totally going to write letters to my cousins when I can open my phone and talk to them instantly.

skaboomizzy posted:

In this case, it really IS the app. I have FB set-up as you described on my PC. If SA can remember what threads and messages I've read from device to device, there's no reason FB's app can't remember that I don't want to know which 482 memes my friends have decided to like today. It's even worse that there's apparently no way to fix this setting in the app (at least no way that I've found yet).

I'm probably much more annoyed by this than I should be, but it's rendered the FB app pretty much useless to me.

Ah, that sucks. I haven't looked at it extensively, but it seemed like the app was respecting the settings I made on the website proper.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

japtor posted:

It's almost as if you could do that with a phone without Facebook!

For all of its faults and general shittiness, FB really is the easiest way to stay in contact with friends, family, and acquaintances that you wouldn't normally keep up with.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
As another example, I use to get CL stuff I'm looking for emailed to me. I setup a search in my area for "stoves" and now whenever someone posts one it shows up in my inbox.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Then you don't have a lot of business cards. :v:

I tried a bunch of the OCR apps for business cards back in the 3GS/4 days, and they were all hit or miss. The most common problems are getting the fields wrong, and not being able to read certain fonts correctly. I eventually gave up and just started manually inputting them into contacts and assigning a picture of the card as the contact pic.

It may have gotten better with the camera improvements in the 4S/5.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Porkchop Express posted:

I just got engaged and would like to find some kind of scrapbook or journal app that will let my fiancé and myself snap pictures, import pictures, and other cool stuff, and then have it printed out as a nice scrapbook that we can keep as a record of our wedding planning process.

Does anyone know of an app that offers this kind of functionality?

I used Mosaic to get a nice little book of all of our pictures from Italy recently. I've never used anything else, so don't know how it stacks up against the other stuff, but it was fun to use.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there an app (or ifttt recipe) that will monitor a website (or a group of websites in my bookmarks) and notify me if the page updates or chances?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wow they made the official Twitter app into a cluttered piece of poo poo.

What's the latest and greatest 3rd party app? I've used Tweetbot in the past, and maybe one more, but it's been awhile.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm only asking this because IFTTT is in the title, but does anyone have a good source of IFTTT recipes besides the site itself? I'm trying to figure out how take images posted to FB/twitter and move them somewhere else, but it doesn't seem to exist. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I remember several years ago people talking about a flash card app that let you build the cards on a website, then access them on your iPad/iPhone. Anyone have a link? I'd also take any other recommendations for flash card apps that let you create your own cards.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

tuyop posted:

I recommend study blue. It has a whole suite of study tools (multiple choice, fill in the blank, t/f) populated by your flash cards and syncs with the webapp so that you can type them up on a computer first. You can also find cards from other students based on institutions and classes.

Thanks! This looks way better than the other thing someone linked.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to see older episodes of a podcast in Instacast? I just started listening to the Marc Maron podcast and it only shows ~100 episodes of the 500 or so.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Diabolik900 posted:

Not really. The problem is that a lot of podcasts (and WTF seems to be one of them) remove older episodes from their feed so there's no way for Instacast to find them.

Oh, lame. Guess I'll try to find them somewhere else, then.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

101 posted:

His own app, if I recall correctly.

Yep! Thanks for the heads up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Wow, did they gently caress up Comixology. The app itself is fine for reading comics, but the process of buying them is a huge pain in the rear end now. Not only do you need to into safari for buying the apps (which I get, just like kindle stuff), but for some dumb reason they don't allow you to save the password, so you have to type that in every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

biznatchio posted:

Enable Emergency Alerts in iOS as well (Notification Center settings, all the way at the bottom). A WEA/EAS activation should be capable of warning you to any severe weather a lot faster than any app could -- and it's loud as hell when it goes off.

Scared the poo poo out of me the other day, so prepare yourself.

• Locked thread