Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Replying from the old thread....

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Turn-by-turn doesn't look as good to me as Apple's Maps, though the voice is more intelligible than Siri's. The performance isn't as good Apple's vector stuff either.

Not sure I'll ever use Google Maps, but I guess it's nice to have an alternative in case Apple's maps data comes up short (it hasn't yet in my area). For those who wanted Google's map data or transmit support, though, this must be a godsend.

I think it looks much better. Apple maps turn-by-turn just looks like a brown wasteland.

Shame they haven't done roundabouts right. Does anybody know if it automatically goes into nightmode? Guess I'll find out for myself in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Red posted:

RunPee.com - So the movie is ending, but you're not sure if you want to leave the theater, because this might be one of those loving movies with scenes after the credits. RunPee is an app that lets you know if there are indeed post-credits scenes. Of course, the meat of the app is letting you know when you can take a bathroom break, and not miss too much, but I've found that the post-credits info is a huge plus. The app was formerly free, but is now 99 cents. I'd imagine this will be free at some point in the future.

I suppose a potential problem with this app is, if it became too popular, you'd end up going to the toilet at the same time as a lot of other runpee users, which would throw the timings out because you'd take longer if all the urinals/toilets were occupied.

Would be good if maybe runpee clients could talk to each other and negotiate when to tell users to go so that visits can be staggered?

Also doesn't solve the problem of needing a poo. Might be a nice way of meeting new people though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does iheartradio have them?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

StarWalk is what most people will recommend first. I bought it years ago and have never felt the need to try anything else.

I refuse to buy it because of it not being universal.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Suqit posted:

Just imagine how much more of a dork you'd look like walking around with your iPad raised above your head gawking at the night sky.

Some manage to look like a dork without the assistance of an app.

Regardless, I don't think 'walking around' while using it would be a good idea.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Subscribing for recipes? That's not pukka or cushty.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

You Am I posted:

Does anyone know how to set up Runkeeper to show the map and details of your run to Facebook without it just sending an URL which blocks the map?

I had this problem and its something that's affected other people when I looked into it.

Can't remember specifics but I think fixing it boiled down to deleting the runkeeper stuff off my Facebook and disconnecting and reconnecting to dacebook from the runkeeper app. Eventually a combination of these things got it to start working again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Billa posted:

I have an honest question which should be posted in a thread that include the ipad + iPhone + apps or something.

So the question is: What makes Apple (or anyone) think and say that iOS 6 is the most advanced mobile operative sistem?

I know the answer to this but this really isn't the thread for it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm using Mailbox now and so far I think I really like it. Nice looking interface and everything feels very 'quick'. Particularly enjoy the email later delay thing.

One problem though is that I've got several filters that archive and label emails straight away for things like mailing lists and just other stuff I rarely need but haven't had to think about because gmail never fills up and now when I look at the 'all mail' view of Mailbox there suddenly seems a lot of clutter. Will probably have to reduce all that to make it more usable.

It seems that one of the big selling points of Google was 'just get all your mail and worry about it later with search' and this refocusses your use of Gmail away from that to a more traditional. chronological view.

Probably just a case of getting used to it but I need to decide if I want to make that change.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well you can choose which of your accounts you send mail from if that's what you mean?

Though it's actually a bit convoluted - after pressing the 'new mail' button you press the arrow next to the 'To:' field, then press in the 'From:' field which has your default email account already set then choose from the accounts you have set up.

I'm not sure if I've answered the right question though because I'd have been surprised if Mailbox didn't do that.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not particularly bothered about labels but it seems odd that mailbox should implement separate lists - why not just let you define labels you've already got as lists and do both at once?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is possibly a stupid question but how can mailbox notify me of a new email and have a summary of it in the notification center, but when i open the app to read it, it has to connect and download it before I can?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It shouldn't really matter as it's only a couple of seconds but those seconds add up to making the app feel slow - regardless of how nice and quick the interface itself is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah but the explanation doesn't make it any less annoying.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've just bought it. I wonder if having a memory foam mattress will make it work better or worse. They're less bouncy so it might prevent it picking up my wife flailing around and jerking all her limbs in the middle of the night which would be better from a data capture point of view.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Billa posted:

Which app is the best to track the stuff you do with a mountain bike?

Runkeeper ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hopewell posted:

For what it's worth, I just tested it in my copy of Mailbox, and replies to emails sent to my Work address are sent from my Work address. Same for my home and spam email. I understand you've already uninstalled Mailbox, but for other folks in the thread, Mailbox does support this fairly basic email functionality.

I think the difference seems to be that you have multiple configured email accounts within mailbox, whereas the people who are having problems have the email accounts linked together somehow with only one actually configured in the app.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I want a free, simple but magical app that will tally up every time I do something on a daily basis, and display the results.

So I want to know how many times I do this thing on each date.

Any thoughts?

Are you intrigued as to what I am wanting to count? If I receive a good app recommendation I will reveal my secret.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I am not counting bowel movements and that app is not magical. My needs remain unmet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm this i actually pretty good. Bit fiddly on the data entry side but apart from this it's satisfying my requirements. Thankyou.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is going to gently caress up how I use flipboard.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Then you're using Flipboard wrong. It's a great app but a pretty terrible RSS reader IMO

Having Google Reader manage RSS feeds, outputting a single source to feed into flipboard that amalgamates all the content i'm interested in into one 'stream' is using Flipboard right. It works great.

Although this seems to suggest that flipboard stores your Google Reader feeds so maybe it won't be a problem. Might be a bit more fussy managing RSS feeds on the ipad though.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 14, 2013

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm more concerned about my wife's movements affecting the data capture than the cats. It did initially cause one or two arguments but since she's started sleeping on the sofa I'm confident I have an accurate record.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My darling, you need Guided Access.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
After about two years I've finally found a use for IFTTT: sending my 'watch later' youtubes to Pocket.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

foobar posted:

I've been looking for a reason to use IFTTT and this sounds exactly like something I'd like to do - was it easy to set up? Also I thought Pocket was like Readability or Instapaper, where it converted websites to a more readable format and saved them for offline viewing; I didn't think video was supported.

It's very easy to set up. Just activate your youtube and pocket channels from IFTTT (authorising IFTTT to use them basically) then add the 'recipe' (it was already created by somebody else).

After fiddling about with the various read it later services I've gone all in with Pocket and deleted the rest. I'm not sure if any of the others support Video but Pocket has for a while, as well as its core function of saving websites in a stripped down format.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Wow the wifi transfer is a great idea but it's painfully slow. 1GB has taken about 15 minutes so far and it's only a third through.

You could try a cable?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there a simple app for tracking personal, day to day spending and then have a look at some pretty charts on a web page so I can see, for instance, exactly what proportion of my income I am spending on anime?

I'm in the UK so can't use Mint - which seems to be the go-to recommendation for anything like this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Thankyou for your help everyone you've given me a lot to think about.

Together we will bring my anime addiction under control.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder what is so fundamentally different about our banking services that makes these apps (ones that link into your bank's records) so ubiquitous in the States whereas in the UK they're non-existent and you have to rely on your own bank's app to access anything.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lexicon posted:

They're only ubiquitous in the USA because Mint, etc have gone to the effort of scraping online banking pages, etc. It's a tremendous, error-prone effort - it's not like American banks are providing nice OAuth delegated access or something.

That's a surprise I didn't realise it was just doing scraping. I guess it's just a case of it not being worth their time do UK banks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an imgur (or any other equivalent sharing site) app that will resize an image to post-friendly dimensions *before* its uploaded? I use imgur to share my photos with other posters and I feel I'm wasting a lot of time and data uploading multi-megapixel images that I resize through the app anyway.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don Tacorleone posted:

The IS an imgur app, have you tried it?

I've got 'imgupr' now but that doesn't resize images the resizing is done on the imgur server itself so pictures take a while to upload.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hmm this looks exceptionally needs suiting. TYVM.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I got it for my iPad ages ago when the goon that made it posted about it here.

I'm not prepared to buy it two more times when Evernote can largely do the same thing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah you can go to your purchase history in the app store app and redownload any apps you've bought in the past - it also lists free apps.

And if you're prepared to use iTunes on your computer you can move apps on and off your device while keeping a copy of the app files on your computer.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can't get it in the UK for some reason.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I use Upit because it resizes before uploading which saves time. This is crucial for mobile power posters like me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Just installed Yahoo's 'News Digest' app and its really rather nice. What is it with Yahoo and high quality Apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Themage posted:

I bought a retina mini the other day and for the life of me can't find a good equivalent to the amazing android Photo Editor app, ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iudesk.android.photo.editor ), I'd be incredibly thankful if anyone knows of one, price isn't a worry.

There's over 9000 image editing/filtering apps idk which one has the exact features you need but i'd check out iPhoto, Afterlight, Camera+ and Laminar.

• Locked thread