Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Also, is your imbalance an actual difference in the physiology/musculature on one side or do you just heavily favor one side over the other? In my experience it is better to focus on mindfully using both sides equally over trying to train it away. i.e., I had a “bossy leg” when I first started biking and I spent a week or two forcing myself to balance out my pedal strokes. The dominant leg wasn’t stronger, necessarily, I just needed to train my mind to use them both equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Movement gives you the most options. Baker is right by you but I don't like that gym. The Rino bouldering gym is alright but crazy crowded. The old Earth Treks gyms are the best Movement gyms but a bit of a haul to them.

If you just want to just boulder DBC Central is close by and way more fun, chill , and laid back.

Curious about what you don’t like about the Baker gym. We usually go to the Golden location but have visited Baker a few times and it seems fine.

There is also Ubergrippen which I’ve only been to once as a guest. I thought their sets were pretty good but it’s a little on the small side.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Gotcha. The times I’ve been there it’s usually been quiet but we try to go late Sunday afternoon. The one time it was busy it was kinda miserable to try to work on anything.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

That's more or less what I was looking at (these). There's only like 2 trails in my area that could warrant them when the weather is just right, but shrug.

These stairs (300 of 'em) can get really treacherous in the winter when you get that snow-thaw-freeze weather cycle. Photo wasn't taken when they were basically impassable, clearly, but they can get real bad. Also I went to VT a few Winters ago, want to say it was Mt Mansfield I tried to hike and was woefully under-equipped. Would be cool to be able to open up winters a little more for me.

But I'm definitely leaning towards just getting some swanky shoes I'd normally not be willing to splurge on instead though. Out of work in 30 minutes then gonna drive the hour to the nearest REI, hopefully something from the aforementioned list is available in the right size. And then hit a super cool bouldering gym in Providence afterwards while in the area :toot:

Get the shoes and then spend $25 on some Yaktrax. I have a pair of Kahtoola’s but leave them behind 95% of the time in favor of the Yaktrax. Sure, they don’t bite as sharply into the ice as some more serious traction devices, but I’ve always found that they get the job done.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I’ll tell you all, I was intensely uninspired when I headed to the climbing gym last night, just wasn’t feeling it all. And then a little kid marveled at me from the ground while I was negotiating a roof and I tell you I felt like I could climb a 5.14

So basically get yourself a miniature hype man and watch as your projects bend to your will

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Tarantulaces are a good gym shoe imo

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I concur - some sort of indoor course for lead belay is really helpful. Most of the other aspects you can pick up on the fly but there’s nothing like catching someone (or falling yourself, for that matter) in a controlled setting to learn what to do and not do.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Got my first lead session in since hurting my shoulder memorial day. I've been feeling a lot better, but unfortunately the motions when you're really feeding slack as the climber goes to clip apparently still hurts a lot :(

Do any of you guys wear a Fitbit or anything like that while climbing? I just bought one last week, second time climbing with it and I apparently scratched the hell out of the face at some point today. Pretty annoying; you'd think for a device you're ideally wearing during physical activity you'd think they'd give it a stronger screen.... Or at least sell a screen protector, which they don't do...

Yeah the fitbits are designed for walking around your neighborhood and the like so they’re not particularly resilient. I used to have one where the little tracker piece slipped into and out of the band so you could replace it if it got damaged, but it looks like they don’t sell any like that now. Of course l lost mine slipping in a scree field and having the band roll up my arm, popping the tracker out. Didn’t notice until I got to the car.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Just like when I get clowned by kids in COD or whatever the only proper response is to :gitgud:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

alnilam posted:

That is an incredibly yikes read :stare:

e: and agreed with above, taken out of the super grim context it's a pretty funny line

e2: what I'm still curious about is how they got the tip and caught him. Did he post about it in an MRA subreddit or something? Tell another individual? Tell the cops himself? I guess it will probably come out in court docs eventually.

Climbing is reporting that he made specific comments to at least two other people about “causing harm to climbers in Deschutes County”.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Finally had an appointment with my Primary a few weeks ago who referred me to an Ortho and had some x-rays done today. Yep. Bone spurs and early signs of arthritis. Cool :(

On the plus side you don’t have to worry about the draft!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Yeah I never inside flag and assumed I was just climbing wrong/poorly (I am climbing wrong/poorly but that’s not why probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Interesting, I watched it when it came out and thought that they played up the interpersonal drama a bit for the cameras. Honnold is still very clearly a driven, focused person, but it feels like he’s mellowed out quite a bit since the Free Solo days.