Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've always taken it to mean you're getting away from a 'range' of tolerances and trying to build to as close to the 'ideal' specification as possible. For example, a cylinder bore might be 4.000" +/- .002" - you may want to get all of your bores as close to 4.002 as possible if you want a little less pressure on the rings / some infinitely small additional displacement, rather than having one cylinder at 4.001 and another at 3.998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

IOWNCALCULUS THAT IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID "HAVE FUN WITH IT"

:arghfist:

I was waiting for the admins to give it the new tag before I commented, but glad you like it :keke:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

You forgot AI Shitposter of the Year 2013 and AI's Worst Mechanic of the Year 2013.

There's still a lot of 2013 left :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

Think I'm out of the woods, fellas.

Your car just caught fire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:stonk: I... uh... that blows.

meatpimp posted:

I blame IOC for bringing this one on.

Don't you put this on me!