Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Question: Anyone have any good ideas for transporting the block pieces and head to/from the machine shop without damaging anything?

Just throw them in the trunk of the Mercedes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Won't fit, what with all the cash in there.

I wasn't entirely joking... what are your challenges with moving the block/head?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looking good. So does a home rebuilt motor help or hurt resale? Usually people do it for cars they intend to keep. Are you going to put a few hundred miles on it to make sure everything is up to spec?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Besides, if the values were imperial, your total tolerance window would be 48 thou, which is insane.

And if he had the crank taken down .020", it would rev to 9000rpm... once. But aren't those numbers too tight for normal production manufacturing? Keeping a .020mm seems awfully tough, or maybe I am not up on current manufacturing tolerances.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 21, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah this is bad. I've since found one place that has .020" undersized rod bearings, but they're from Rock Auto and with the stock tolerances having a range of 48 microns (that is legitimately insane...) I'm unsure if I really want to go with "one size fits all" undersized bearings.

I hate to turn this into a 14" dick thread but work is loving me right over currently and this little bump in the road is costing me some sanity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say the only viable option would be to get a low-mileage junkyard motor and plug it back in. Honda has some pretty sophisticated manufacturing processes and I'd be surprised if you can do a garage rebuild of that particular motor with any success. I really want to see if it works or not, though... so disregard this and put it back together!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That doesn't look too bad, just random banging around. Could have happened during pulling, during packaging or during transport. Not a lot you can do do damage the good stuff, even with rough pulling. You have plenty of spares from the blowed-up motor. Just go through a good fluid drain/mechanical check out procedure and it should be fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

This whole thread has been a long, sad chronicle of you ruining a formerly nice S2000. It's the anti-project thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CatBus posted:

I would call this more of a reality check. Anyone who has worked on cars long enough has been stuck with a one-thing-after-another nightmare like this. It is part bad luck and part learning curve.

Sometimes reality checks go unheeded. OP was warned that the original rebuild was over his head. Since then, it's been a cascade of consequences. If you choose to get into a job like this, you need to know when to step back and see that you're doing more damage than repair.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Hey meatpimp hows your build thread going?

Been there, done that. Several times (see Turbo Miata 1, Turbo Miata 2, or Forester XT, among others). Knew enough to not get in over my head and ended up with successful projects, thanks!

Edit: This obviously hit a serious chord, I didn't intend for pointing out that a car that started out the thread in good shape, needing a motor swap, and is now 6 months later on its 3rd motor, at least third clutch, and left with undiagnosed drivetrain howling (along with being wrecked in the interim) to turn into a slag-fest. If UF had a project like this he would have been fully savaged by now...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 5, 2013

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Maybe jump up my rear end and tell me I am an ignorant lube monkey and don't know how to spell cavitation, nevermind know what it means, again, as well :allears:

Internet burns cut deep. :ese:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Looks pretty frooty.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Car with its lights off just hit the nose of the S2000. It's totaled.

God drat, even I wasn't expecting that.

I blame IOC for bringing this one on.

Good luck with the insurance dealings, honestly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Where was that parked? It looks like the curb side got it much harder than the street side...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

This whole thread has been a long, sad chronicle of you ruining a formerly nice S2000. It's the anti-project thread.

September 5, 2013. :911:

Good luck with insurance. Definitely part it out, if you do well with insurance, it would turn it into a profitable anti-project.

• Locked thread