Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cliff Racer posted:

If you look at some of Bell's old stuff, like the Thatcher CYOA
Unless he did one I don't know about, the Thatcher CYOA was drawn by Hunt Emerson, not Steve Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
What's the Telegraph one about? Doesn't really make much sense to me to put Corbyn and the Anti War crowd as the ones convinced they'll win a war by Christmas.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 19, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
When Private Eye made the same joke it was about Corbyn's leadership not lasting two months from now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
And I can get why the Private Eye would make that joke because of course he's still about! I don't get what the Telegraph are referring to though.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The Telegraph are making one 'joke', that the Labour leadership will be gone by Christmas, and one reference, to the popular slogan in the runup to WW1. The two don't really overlap in any way, because Adams has no loving idea what humour is and just shits out a daily "Labour bad, Corbyn evil babby man" to help fulfil the Telegraph's hate quota.

Angepain posted:

The need to emphasise that this robo-cop is not only a robo-cop but also a Female Woman is a little curious, though that's more to do with the Mail's initial framing of the story than Mac's reaction to it.
No, the 'joke' is that women take a long time to go to the toilet. There's no way he would have drawn that cartoon if the robo-cop was male.

e: the reason I'm using 'joke' is that I'm not really sure if they're supposed to be funny, or just to reinforce their audience's prejudices. Or if there's even a difference.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I took it as "these police are wearing so much crap it's going to take hours to even get to the point where you can take a piss", but maybe for Mac we should always assume the worst.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 21, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That child has an old man face. Clearly an adult male fighter using his dwarfism to sneak through the border.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Ugh. My wi-fi was down for about 36 hours, and is still flaky; while I can post now, I can't upload to imgur. So, enjoy these links to cartoons instead.

Guardians:
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/12bf...e1e00fbbfb6cc53

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/0fca...10efa942715aba0

Telegraphs:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUL2ngtWIAAunQe.jpg:large

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03506/BOB211115_3506322k.jpg

Independents:
http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/18/23/Daily-cartoon-20151118.jpg

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/18/23/Daily-cartoon-20151119.jpg

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2015/11/20/23/Cartoon.jpg

Timeseses:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/01014/Brookes_20_1014691c.jpg

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/01015/Morland_21_1015318c.jpg

gently caress off Mac:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/11/20/02/2E9D9D5600000578-0-image-m-10_1447987192559.jpg

Stephen Collins:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/11/18/1447859887461/StephenCollinscartoon21June.jpeg

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Guardians:

Telegraphs:

Independents:

Timeseres:

Your daily hate:

The whimsytime special:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Mac advocating humorous punishment of those criticising the doctor's strike - a good mac?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The doctor is actually killing that man by draining all the fluids out of him.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Mac advocating humorous punishment of those criticising the doctor's strike - a good mac?

goatface posted:

The doctor is actually killing that man by draining all the fluids out of him.

the drips are below him. it is a gory disaster, captured inexpertly at its beginning. I instinctively read it as a bizarre accusation of lethally excessive zeal towards medical staff. Which is insane, and very mac.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

goatface posted:

The 'toons

Many thanks! :yayclod:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thought this arc was over but it's not over

If... 9-12 November

If... 16-19 November

Slight improvement in this week's strips (although maybe I'm biased because I love If-verse Liz). The Star Wars gimmick still hurts more than it helps though.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Maybe he's sticking with the theme to help shift the t-shirts and mugs?

Observer:

"The plain truth about Isis - Chris Riddell reflects on the Paris and Mali attacks"

Independent on Sunday:

Cameron to set out Syria strategy to MPs within days

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"The plain truth about Isis - Chris Riddell reflects on the Paris and Mali attacks"
Now do one with "Not united. Has no king. But a murderous death cult."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Now do one with "Not united. Has no king. But a murderous death cult."

NOT A DEBATE
AND NOT A DISCUSSION
BUT A
MURDEROUS
DEATH CULT

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At least Prescott as Yoda makes sense.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I always thought of Prescott as Obi Wan.

"I've been waiting for you, John. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the master. "

"Only a master of evil, Tony."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

In an alternate universe, the "Two-Jagga the Gutt" gags are writing themselves...

Cloud Potato posted:

Maybe he's sticking with the theme to help shift the t-shirts and mugs?

Yeah I saw that. Maybe the G are trying to recoup the loss they took when Gove got shuffled to justice about a week after they started selling stress toys of him wearing a dunce's cap.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Britain's strategic defence and security review – The government will reveal its strategic defence review on Monday – with the chancellor set to offer more figures later in the week"

Telegraph:

Times:

Jeremy Corbyn warning over terror response after Paris attacks

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Love that Rowson.

The last time I saw a lot of Stop the War coalition was that anti-Iraq war march... Maybe not the memory he wants to evoke.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

the face in the last panel is basically this:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

A Good Cartoon?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and the defence review – David Cameron will announce two new 5,000-strong strike brigades for rapid deployment missions as a central feature of the government’s latest strategic defence review"

Telegraph:

Spending Review: Osborne refuses to rule out police cuts

Independent:

Cameron offers France use of RAF base for Isis raids

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The Lord's Prayer advert cinema ban

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 24, 2015

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

goatface posted:

Independents:

I like their matching eyes

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm still not entirely sure what this is trying to say.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

goatface posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what this is trying to say.

French, uhm, something-something, cheese-munching monkeys.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Paladinus posted:

French, uhm, something-something, cheese-munching monkeys.

"Now, we are all cheese-eating attack monkeys". The first part is from a Le Monde headline after 9/11 ("Nous sommes tous Américains"), the second from...you know.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I live, the wifi card in my mate's laptop that I'm using temporarily dies, I live again! (Hopefully.)

Main stories: Spending review, rebuttal by Mao, Cameron wants to bomb Syria, Corbyn doesn't.

Guardians:

After William Holman Hunt (and putting in the full reference makes my life easier, cheers Rowson!)

Telegraphs:

Independents:

Timeseses:

Mails:
Mac on... Renewing the Trident nuclear submarines
'Can you hurry up with the new submarines? We can't keep calling the AA out!'

Mac on... Holloway women's prison going under the hammer
'Fantastic news! You can now buy this desirable bijou residence under the new affordable homes scheme.'

Mac on... Osborne's foreign buy-to-let loophole
'Another foreign aid cheque from George Osborne - I saw we blow it on buy-to-let properties in the UK before April... All in favour?'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Rowson's Osborne no longer appears to be a human being.

Maybe too much like the real thing. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I expected more Mao references honestly.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Independent:

After Ferdinand Hodler.

Times:

Saudi Arabia 'to execute more than 50 convicted of terrorism'

Stephen Collins:

Guardian Sport:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Are the Mac cartoons an actual effort to imitate Giles, in a dumbed-down sort of way?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why the Indy guy bothers to imitate simple art like that. He might as well just do something original.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Huge slam on Holder out of nowhere.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

xcheopis posted:

Are the Mac cartoons an actual effort to imitate Giles, in a dumbed-down sort of way?
Pretty much. I think they were certainly contemporaneous. Mac's never quite put as much effort in as Giles though; he has no recurring characters (afaik), no amusing background jokes, and certainly no charm.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I kept meaning to scan a few toons from my Giles books and construct a lengthy rant on why Mac falls short of Giles in every way but I'm actually employed now, so just imagine one

in short, gently caress off Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Angepain posted:

I kept meaning to scan a few toons from my Giles books and construct a lengthy rant on why Mac falls short of Giles in every way but I'm actually employed now, so just imagine one

Just look at the joy of detail and humour that went into these (scrounged from Google). One thing I realised from these is that Mac makes much heavier use of huge pools of black, which look much bleaker and colder than subdued shades of grey. Mac also has a more cruel sense of humour.

• Locked thread