Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Re: The Daily Mail - just, goddamnit. So much fail on that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno how it is in Britain but unless you have a race horse or work horse your horse is worth jack poo poo over here. I saw one being given away on Craigslist the other day. Others are just left lose to run wild (in actuality to be rounded up by animal control and then auctioned off to the dog food company for a hundred bucks a pop.)
I think the greater costs are to do with stabling, feeding, clearing out etc. etc. Horses themselves don't have to be expensive - I think you can even get rescue horses, although the only person I know with some is an equine vet. Her (cart)horses were subject to pretty horrible mistreatment from an owner who couldn't properly maintain the large numbers of horses he had, and apparently some were essentially feral/unbroken.

Heather Frost (the cancer-surviving 'welfare queen' at the heart of the story) pays around £200 a month, which sounds high but is around what I pay for petrol (ugh), and apparently her adult daughter helps with the costs (Telegraph link). The daughter also claims that the 6-bedroom house would be smaller than their current one - has the actual size of the house ever been cited by a newspaper? Six tiny bedrooms would hardly constitute a mansion.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

The Daily Express guy really doesn't like drawing male head hair, does he?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Rowson's little fatcat is receding further and further into the distance :ohdear:
The fur cup remains prominent, however :v:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Re: The Indy cartoon - I love that angle on the election, could any comedian really be more ridiculous than Berlusconi as a candidate?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Its kinda not cool to do the whole 'Heya, mama mia' poo poo, surely.
Oh no, the comic itself is pretty lovely and obvious. I was actually referring to the irony of the situation but didn't make that clear.

e: V--- I'm really more amused by the idea of Berlusconi being viewed as a credible candidate, rather than passing judgement on any of his opponents, including the comedian ('s coalition).

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 27, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

I miss Monkey Dust. :smith:

Oh god this. I think it's still my favourite clip show of all time. The political satire, the artistic range, the music, the incredibly dark humour... I didn't realise until quite recently that Harry Thompson had died of lung cancer at a very young age, bringing the series to a permanent close. It rather puts the Closure sketch into perspective. :smith:

Also, that Mac cartoon seemed oddly sympathetic to the proles. I guess even Mail readers are feeling the pinch, leading to an unusual moment of solidarity.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Anne Frank one; Jews are Irish, Nazis are British, Heroes are American. One of the best lines in it "this is for president Churchill!" and the American narration keep pronouncing stuff wrong like instead of Reich they say Re-e-sh.
I think the Crusades one is still my favourite of those. 'Dedicated to all the Americans who died during the Early Middle Ages.'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Let's not forget the true star of Monkey Dust :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

Oh gods, the Paedofinder General Song has disappeared from Youtube :( This is terrible.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

NightHunter posted:

I need to dig out my season 1 DVD when I get home.

Edit: this is the UK megathread :sigh:
The sad fact is that Monkey Dust is even more relevant to British politics and life in general now than when it was first made.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I absolutely adored Monkey Dust when it was on the telly, and even today it comes across as almost preternaturally prescient about an awful lot of things (McDonalds selling degrees comes to his mind). But upon rewatch, there is some pretty iffy stuff in there as well.
Anything in particular?

baka kaba posted:

Also that Telegraph one. CON LAB LIB DEM, CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR
Especially lazy since the Titanic only had three operational funnels :eng101:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I seem to recall it would sometimes have a go at the NHS in a very sort of Telegraph-y way, and was a bit dodgy when it came to LGBT issues (if I recall correctly, it mostly treated being gay as something slightly icky for laughs). It could also be pretty condescendingly classist at times.
Hmm, perhaps. It has been a few years since I saw it all the way through too. I remember LGBT characters being presented in a more neutral or whimsical sense though, like the gay couple in the Paedofinder General compilation and the elderly couple's erotic dreams in a ketch I annoyingly can't find on Youtube... The NHS came under criticism but then so did every aspect of government and authority (as well as the BBC itself), it was just part of the bleak setting of the show.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

It's probably true that the 'NHS is overrun by MRSA, rats and useless staff' thing was just part of the overall nihilism, but with regard to the LGBT thing I'm thinking particularly of elements of the Wannabe Cottager sketches, and one where lesbians were portrayed as horrible shrieking harridans.
Aww, I thought the Wannabe Cottager was quite a sympathetic portrayal (albeit in an unsympathetic society). Don't remember the lesbians sketch, but I'd be surprised if it were openly hostile.

quote:

Still, nothing's perfect. And we should probably stop derailing the Cartoons Mega Thread...
Okay, fair point. I just wish we had this kind of show now :sigh:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Oh god, the Ebola experiment... Think that was my favourite sketch at the time. So much callous evil (inspired by Porton Down presumably). The paedophile march sketch had an amazing soundtrack for a simple joke scene, but that was so often the case with Monkey Dust.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Porton Down was all kinds of hosed up. I'm kind of surprised you linked that one without knowing the context though, or were you thinking of the even more notorious American experiments?

Mac continues to confuse. Implicitly criticising a Countryside Alliance-approved badger cull and calling on the death of the banking class? I hope the true Mac gets well soon so we can continue to wish him ill health again.

The Indy cartoon might be in reference to this painting, but I'm not much of an art historian so there's probably a far closer match. The arms look right though.

Giovanni Gaulli, The Apotheosis of St. Ignatius, 1685.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

The Supreme Court posted:

Ronald Maddison
Holy crap, I have to admit even I didn't realise that the experiments had been so immediately lethal. That Monkey Dust sketch is more a documentary than satire!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Can someone remind me who the guy with his head up his rear end in Rawson's cartoons represents, I constantly forget. TIA!

Cliff Racer posted:

Finance Minister or whatever thats called in the UK.
'George' Gideon Oliver Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer. I assume the vultures represent the downgrade of Britain's credit rating, but it doesn't seem to be an actual representation (shouldn't the second be smaller than the first?) if that were the case.

Edit: Hrm. If it's not Osborne I have no idea who it's meant to be. Oh, if only he (over)used labels!

Stephen Collins is amazing and I can't believe I had never heard of him before this thread.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 3, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Farage should never be given the opportunity to smile about anything. :colbert:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

His twitter: (He uses it alot too!) https://twitter.com/stephen_collins
Aww, he responded to your Tweet! His work is basically amazing, 'nuff said.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Noreaus posted:

That's a bit of a weak homage. The face wasn't present in the original painting and nothing else essential about the painting has really been altered.
Did you miss the dog cocking its leg? (But otherwise yes.)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

What other challengers approach? There's the Bojo balloon, Gove with a lollypop, Murdoch with Farage as a headband, but who's the skinny man with the OBR pillow, or the gnome?
The OBR guy is presumably Robert Chote, chairman of the Office of Budget Responsibility, who gave Cameron the smackdown over the weekend for misrepresenting his arguments. Not so much a challenge for leadership as an attack on Cameron, really.

quote:

I don't like this one. Fixating on shoes as a symbol for May is a bit misogynist.
May is well known for her eclectic choice of footwear so it's not that presumptive. Putting on shoes of leadership is also a well-tested comic cliche.

Edit: I do like Osborne counting on his fingers as well.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 11, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Whitefish posted:

The gnome is Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...biw=672&bih=323
D'oh. So along with Robert Scrote (Chode?) it's basically a group of people undermining coalition authorities/Cameron rather than people with specific leadership bids.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

That story was seriously awful. Man is stressed and doctor tells him to take a holiday, he goes to Australia to visit his family, see a shark about to attack some kids so jumps into sea to stop them, his employer says that because he was capable to stop a shark killing some children he should have been at work instead.

As someone said, if you're already stressed watching some kids get killed so you can keep your job is probably going to make it worse.
Yeah, I think most news outlets (and especially the charity trustees, who were astonishingly ignorant) are missing the whole 'stress' angle and are assuming he was skiving on the basis of a bad back or something. It is a pretty terrible story since the positive attention of the rescue could have significantly helped him with any issues of self-worth.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Noreaus posted:

Weirdly, the news outlets have also avoided the "saving kids' lives" aspect, in the headlines at least. "Wrestling with a shark" sounds like it was some fun activity he decided to do.0
Tabloidspeak: Well it just goes to show how people on disability are mostly just faking it, innit? How can somebody have stress if they're on a beach in Oz having a barbie, sounds pretty good to me, arf arf arf

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Rowson was doing the main one today but since it was day after the budget Bell did a little one too! :)
Little? Wasn't it on the front page? (Just got a quick look in Tesco so might have been a supplement.)

quote:

This is so badly drawn I can't get my loving head around the police car. Is it meant to be crashed / broken glass, or is that some really badly drawn reflection (which doesn't match) of the tree.
Think it's meant to be trees, but yeah, gently caress it. Well done for finding the only possible positive spin on the budget though (frozen hikes on petrol which will actually help me, and the reduction in duty on beer which sadly won't).

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

I really don't think the 1p off beer will effect anyone apart from wetherspoons and people who run pubs etc. Like if you had 1p off your beer in a pub you'd generally would just throw it in a charity box or something. So the frozen on petrol sounds like Osborne had to pick something that would be like a poo poo sandwich, 1p off beer! *poo poo tons of poo poo* frozen hike on petrol! :smith:
Oh yeah, definitely. Since I have gently caress all time/money for pubbing these days I miss out even on that bit of charity :smith: At least we didn't have a repeat of (petrol stations raise price of petrol by 2p a day prior) "2p price cut to petrol!"...

Pretty sure that Bell cartoon was on the front page - in place of a photo.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Osborne, bum nosed BDSM slug (or is he a snail, since he has a house on his back?!) or is he a bum nosed bdsm pig in a slug outfit pretending to be a snail?!
Yes.

quote:

Daily Mail:
Typical woman's job according to the Mail: secretary. :eng99:

quote:

Daily Express:

Paul Thomas is so loving offensive it hurts, this is a new level of lazy. It seems to be an old image with the newspaper board redone. :suicide:
It's not a terrible joke - it's not a joke at all. It's barely even a statement. loving hell that was awful.

Edit: Obama as fried chicken? What the hell is this referring to, and how did he get away with it?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As an American, I do not understand the symbolism of Osborne's red briefcase. What is that specifically referencing?
It's a standard ministerial document box used by government bureaucrats to transport official papers (so what Manic_Misanthrope said basically); the one with the Budget in just tends to get the most press attention.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake - this is a cartoon criticising the government for attacking the poor. The cartoon would be moronic if it depicted a woman in a high paying job because those women can afford full time child care. The women who are affected are the secretaries and clerical workers of the world.
Which is fair enough (a lot of Mail readers will also fall into that category) but it's still a cliche.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

It just writes itself, doesn't it?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This is actually pretty good.

Also is that meant to be David Cameron in the Express cartoon, because what

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Skeesix posted:

Um, when I first saw this, I thought it looked like a racist Obama charicature.
If it helps(?), the Milibands are Jewish. Dave Miliband was mocked heartily for that photo, but that was back before he was the party's best option for a Leader :smith:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Wait, is this ment to be an april fools of Adam being leftie or am I completely missing the point, I think I might be missing the point because of the "more bedrooms more tax", as I'm guessing its either a really bad try at making a leftie cartoon but being critcal of the left at the same time or its just saying thats what the protesters are saying. Muy brain hurts I'm sorry. :smith:

I think you're probably reading way too much into it - it's basically just mocking the unpopularity of government reforms by making IDS look totally amazingly popular, you guys! It seems an odd direction for a Torygraph cartoon (especially given the lovely editorial coverage of the cuts). Bits like 'Stuff the Poor' confuse the message but are just badly thought of rather than meant to complicate the picture, imo.

Also, thanks for taking the time and effort to collate these, especially so early in the day! It's nice to have an update to wake up to. :v:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Express:

:fuckoff:
The second one is awful, yes, but he does use the term 'bedroom tax' in the first, which I believe means he must be radical lefty because it's clearly not a tax don'tcherknow.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Payndz posted:

Also, why is Dan Dare, Pilot Of The Future the Chancellor of the Exchequer?
For all we mock his bizarre interpretations of real people, his IDS is absolutely spot on.
The coalition's misuse of the word 'fairness' gets more horrific by the day.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

MAC is secretly Thatcher, it would explain the lovely quality of his work recently.

Also, I really wish they sold the Socialist Worker near me. I think that's the first time anybody's ever said that.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Some more bits and bobs of Thatcher
Thanks for that, some of those are amazing.

BastardySkull posted:

Really not keen on this.
Agreed - I can see the logic behind it, as a satirical reversal of Osborne's revolting position, but it's hugely insensitive both to the families of the children and to other women and children in similar family set ups.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

:confused:
That seems to be a reference to her statement on Rome European Summit of 1990, during which she vociferously argued against further integration with Europe. It was a speech that led to the resignation of Sir Geoffrey Howe, Deputy PM and Leader of the Commons, and very shortly to Thatcher's own downfall a few weeks later. I guess the Telegraph is hoping Cameron will fall on his own sword out of principle as well?

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 15, 2013

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Well, fall backwards onto the sword being held behind him by his own party, surely?
Given how lauding Thatcher hasn't helped his popularity a jot, it may as well be her holding it. Speaking out strongly against Europe would probably help him more than hurt him now within his own party though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Context for the Express cartoon:

Newcastle United fans react badly to losing a local derby.

• Locked thread