Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress no labels?

Well, there's still "Hello, Dave, it's your personal demons here", but it's definitely progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Did Paul Thomas have some traumatic experience involving Romanians a couple of weeks ago, or has he always been this obsessed with immigrants and I didn't notice? Maybe it's just that the royal family hasn't done anything interesting lately to distract him.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Don't go to Russia! They've got TERRORISM! and CORRUPTION! and... DEMOCRACY! CIVIL LIBERTIES! And worst of all... an ECONOMY!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

My god. It's like I'm reading the Express with a pair of They Live sunglasses on.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"AID FOR SOMALIA THEN PERHAPS AL QAEDA"! is that how it's listed in the log books

Actually that one seems atypical for mac in a number of ways. I don't think he's ever been big on labels, for example.

Meanwhile, Paul Thompson demonstrates his ability to pass over any opportunity for any kind of political statement. (Except for when it comes to the Swarthy Bulgamanian Menace of course.) The Westminster cabinet coming up to Scotland? Is there some kind of political relevance here, some kind of event that could be commented on? Any statement that could be made, in either direction? I guess not, might as well just make a reference to shortbread. I'd almost prefer if it was something racist about how terrible the Scots are, at least then he'd be saying something.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 25, 2014

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"But Nick, how can I debate you... when you've got that egg in your mouth?"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I wonder if there was an initial period in his cartoons where the Big News Sign was actually anywhere near an actual newsagents most of the time, before his gradual disconnection from the world as it actually is led him to just shove it anywhere on the landscape.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't know if he's making some kind of deliberate statement but he's basically undermined his own metaphor here, by having cameron a) awake and b) right next to the finish line. Unless that hare has some kind of crippling leg injury he's going to be able to win that race any time he likes.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Ah yes, the "anyone who disagrees with me on this issue is literally in cahoots with Satan" argument, a classic of the genre

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Gosh, a lady coach! How queer. Can she manage the coaching with her tiny female brain-parts? Maybe everyone will have to wear skirts, like lady-tennis. My stars.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent:

the Flat Tax Car runs over Ed Balls due to what a popular policy a Flat Tax is sure to be, praise our tory overlords

quote:

Express:

Meanwhile, the new driverless royal car is able to drive directly on top of the heads of gathered crowds of patriotic Express readers, causing multiple injuries and killing dozens, take that poors

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Telegraph:

If this didn't say it was in yesterday's Telegraph I would have thought this was directly mocking the front page of today's Telegraph.

edit: hang on, what even is that flag on the left? I don't recognise it.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 14, 2014

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I think the Guardian have figured out that you can pretty much pick out anything the government's been criticised on in the past fortnight and it'll be in Rowson's cartoons somewhere.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret this. I'd like to think Adams is making a nice point about how the highest honour we can give our soldiers is not making them work in a warzone anymore, but it looks more likely that he's proposing we keep British soldiers in said warzone indefinitely for the sole purpose of keeping them employed. Unless there's some story about mass layoffs in the Army that I've missed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Come on, man. I know you're having a good time with that Fake Latin Names thing you stole from Road Runner, but you do still have to make an actual joke from time to time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Telegraph:

I thought for a second he might also be making a point here about how by appealing to UKIP voters he's blocking off voters that would come to him from the usual path, but I'm not sure I trust Adams to do anything that clever.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Most First Dog on the Moon strips would work fine as just text, and they would be good text, except I imagine he's made the calculation that fewer people would read that because there's fewer pretty pictures to look at. And I don't think many newspapers publish political humour columns.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Don't worry readers he was only an immigrant

He can't be an immigrant. Where's the stubble?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I looked at this this several times before noticing the shape of the hole.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I've recently been going through a couple of old Giles books and it's increasingly clear how anything of any worth in Mac's cartoons is stolen directly from there. Even the art style is pretty close. Mac's like Giles without any level of warmth towards his characters (and/or other human beings in general), and at least when Giles is using the standard 1960s views of race and gender he has the excuse of actually being from the 1960s. I might scan a few if I have some spare time, for comparison.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Indeed, The Nightmare That Has Sod All To Do With Christmas Or This Movie From Twenty Years Ago But I've Already Spent A Whole Ten Minutes Thinking About This Cartoon And That's Enough For Me

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

More likely just on holiday. Although his lack of activity does mess up the banner on the Express website.

It's like the end of Black Mirror with Paul Thomas in place of Wizzard. Now that's a terrifying thought.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Based on the latest SNP campaign poster, if anyone's wondering.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Everyone's really jumping on board that ship metaphor aren't they? Makes me wonder if they actually think they've come up with an original idea and go 'aw gently caress' when everyone else does the exact same thing, or if it's expected and nobody cares

Are there many people except for us nerds who look at more than one political cartoon per day, though? I imagine they'd get away with it pretty easily.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

:allears: I love this. They're just flailing limbs around randomly.

I assume that as he has the drawing skills of a ten-year-old that his knowledge of what sex is is at about the same level.

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Mail:

SCARY MUSLIMS ARE EVERYWHERE, THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

so are you going to make an actual point here, or

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

A surprising amount of effort for a 'A Thing Happened' cartoon. I'm fairly sure that's meant to be SamCam and Dave at the door there, which means Mac has by far the kindest Cameron caricature, of course.

Of course he does. Unflattering caricatures are only for foreigns and the poors and the gays and people who looked at Mac funny once on the street. You know, the real menaces to society.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Did he ever actually say anything worthwhile?

I would actually like to know as I can't listen to the man talk for more than half a minute.

He would occasionally make a decent point and then immediately follow it up with something else that made no sense whatsoever. Which is still a better batting average than David Cameron, but I doubt Brand's going to lead any revolutions any time soon.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Mail:

'Got the drill? ONE we're slashing your benefits. TWO so go and get a job, you lazy gits, and THREE we do hope we can count on your support'
:ohdear: The Poors!!!!! :supaburn:

I like how with pretty much any other artist this caption would make the cartoon sympathetic towards the working class, but Mac can't draw someone below the median income without making them grotesque and so manages to avoid making a good cartoon of any sort.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

in which mac launches a vile tirade against colour mixing. racist bastard

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Let's get the Canadian ones in here too and go for a full-blown Commonwealth Cartoons thread.

are there any really good Canadian cartoonists about? or would it just be endless JJ McCulloch posts

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Saturday's Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the media furore over Ed Miliband's kitchens – Labour leader confirms his house has two kitchens, but says he and his wife barely use the larger one"

yess yesss yessssssssss

Is that "don't dare have a point" obscured by the hand, there?

Also is Brookes suddenly writing "apologies to Aardman" after drawing Milliband as Wallace for several months (at least) by this point? I wonder what brought that on.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

...Grandpa Simpson? That's terrifying.

Okay, I'm stumped, what is he trying to say here? Something about caber tossing, maybe?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

He makes my poldark amirite?

You should probably talk to your doctor about that, I don't think that's meant to happen

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

You *could* take all the time and effort to come up with a new caricature for a newly emerging figure, but that would take like some kind of time and/or effort, so best just to flip the gender of the one you did for The Last Guy and we can call that satire for now. Add in some tartan if you've got a spare minute left over.

Why was Salmond a mouse in the first place again? Something about pounds or something, I forget.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Look man as Gordon Brown's Environment Secretary Ed Milliband was actually responsible for the global financial collapse.

At any point he could have ran into Gordon Brown's office and stabbed him in the neck with a letter opener. And yet he didn't. Brookes will never forgive him.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

aww come on mac, you had an actual joke last time, now it's just back to pee pee doo doo Ed Milliband is Bad again. I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

If the SNP and Labour do a deal, David Cameron will be out of a job and will spend all his time relaxing in his garden. A Good Cartoon.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

He has a long-suffering undead Giles locked in a basement somewhere, kept alive by complex machinery and witchcraft. No longer understanding who he is or what he is doing, just drawing as Mac shouts down punchlines from upstairs, it's all he knows now in his hellish unending existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Chris "One Cartoon" Riddell strikes again...

To be fair, this one's less about nightmares and more about what cameron's in bed with.

Though someone should find a way to physically force him to stop using any words in his cartoons for the next year or so, it'd do him good.

• Locked thread