Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the Indy cartoonist has been taking a page out of Riddell's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

If you don't like McLachlan, you do like Hitler. He's been knocking out brilliant cartoons for over 40 years and unlike many he hasn't declined with age. :colbert:

The stuff Keyes does for the Irish Mail is boring, but he's usually pretty sharp in the Eye. He did one recently that was "Taliban-approved headgear for girls", showing a girl in a hospital bed with bloody bandages wrapped round her face.

Hate to tell you but that's incredibly weak.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I think those are pretty good. Do they always come out in sets of eight?

:psyduck: I hope you're being sarcastic, I can't really tell.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I liked the Loch Ness, cop, Indian, and wheelchair cartoons. :shrug:

I guess I just don't find them very clever? It's just "cops take bribes, Romney is rich, Murderball is a funny name"

Banx seems to be the cartooning equivalent of jokes about airline food. He also draws like known knob Matt

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I absolutely love the 2 Guardian cartoons today, especially the Farage one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The most shameful part is where you've clicked on the link.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Bell/The Guardian is a poo poo on Scottish independence. :thejoke:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

It's because Alex Salmond is getting a bit OCD about the wording.

As did the No campaign before him. Both sides will try and get the wording that will most benefit their side, this is not a shock.

Bell has been a poo poo about Scotland on multiple occasions and it's a little tiring.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

GTO posted:

The thing that surprises me about the Scottish referendum is that the rest of the UK don't get any say in the matter. Maybe if they end up voting 'stay' then the rest of us should get a vote to see if they're allowed to. Maybe on renegotiated terms, like the (possibly) upcoming Euro referendum...

This is not how self-determination works.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I think he's deliberately in the process of creating a cartoon featuring every character he's ever drawn that's received an accusation of racial bias.

Which is as good a hobby as any.

Yeah, I figured this was what was going on (it's not really a very good idea given there's a world of difference between criticising his caricature of Bibi and his caricatures of Obama and Wendi)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Would it somehow be more acceptable if the family were split into two three bedroom houses? I doubt it'd be grabbing headlines if that were the case...

This is a pretty good point and probably true.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Let's not forget the true star of Monkey Dust :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress Farage is terrifying

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy poo poo that is a sinister loving owl

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

He seems to start looking like Steve Bell's Cameron a lot more lately. :confused:

I have no problem with this :colbert:

Also Vicky Coren owns but then I'm a poker player so I would say that.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

You guys led me to believe that Mac was a horrible, evil bastard all the time, but he's been doing pleasant, occasionally-funny cartoons for a while now. Did you lie to me? :ohdear:

Odd that you say this while quoting one where he's being a poo poo and misrepresenting the facts.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

prefect posted:

I thought it was a funny comment on things, since Hugh Grant's organization was leading the press-regulation charge.

I thought he was exaggerating for comic effect. :shrug:

Generally one exaggerates the truth rather than some dog-whistle shite about individuals stifling the press.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm always disappointed when the bird is easy to find. That owl one was awesome.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
But PSY is South Korean :mad:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not sure Bell's cartoon really sits all that well with me. I get the idea but it just washes as a little classist. :ohdear:

Also will someone please take Riddell's black pencil away from him.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BastardySkull posted:

Really not keen on this.

I'd be pretty happy to not see him do another Philpott cartoon.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh look, a bunch of terrible opinions on Scotland. What a shock, media cartoonists.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

onoflalks posted:

Nope, I only tend to look at the Express' cartoon to find the bird in it.

Little dude seems a bit surprised in this one! :spidey:

Mr. Squishy posted:

We've recently made another treaty with Jordan to the effect that they'll definitely give him a fair trial. The Mail's just being a bit defeatist.

Both our and the European courts have repeatedly ignored previous diplomatic efforts (with good reason) and this will be no different. Jordan are not exactly trustworthy regardless of how many stupid treaties they sign.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Bell, that's a reasonably unfortunate thing to be calling him :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Urban Dictionary? Really?
And even giving UD the credit it does not deserve, Nigel's as white as anything and drawn as a small pig, I'm sure people can figure it out.

It's not exactly a source you'd use in a paper admittedly but you'd do well not to handwave away reasonable evidence that it's a used slur - it just reflects poorly on you.

It's obviously not the intention but by now Bell has a little bit of a record of accidentally being somewhat racist. It's unlikely ever to be malicious, he's just a bit of a careless idiot.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

V. Illych L. posted:

what the gently caress, mate

Are we expecting him to be fully fluent in obscure racist yank slang? This is about as racist as his caricature of Gideon, ffs

I'm not exactly "down with the US kids" but I'd heard of it so I guess it isn't that obscure? :shrug:

Again, I'll point out that I'm not ascribing malice to him. I'm not sure the guy is capable of it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's a pretty weak-rear end pun.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Illuyankas posted:

Shades of that Final Fantasy LP where the LPer named one of the characters after a term in Hawaiian that turned out to be 'Paki' without knowing the other context.

Yeah except, you know, being in English rather than Hawaiian and being very similar to the biggest racial slur going. :bravo:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cliff Racer posted:

Outside of Britain that is far from the biggest slur. Hell, its more obscure than niglet I'd bet.

Yes hello welcome to the UK Political Cartoons thread where we discuss political cartoons from the UK. You may have to forgive me being a bit UK-centric in this thread about cartoons from the UK.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cliff Racer posted:

Except we are discussing a person's (assumably not from the UK) decision in another thread. Unless you were discussing Bell's decision to call him Niglet instead of that LPer's discison to call whoever that was Paki.

Yes, I was saying that it's daft as gently caress to compare a Hawaiian slur to a homophonic English slur. You were rather unspecific as to which slur you were on about so I fairly reasonably presumed you meant Bell's as the more relevant to the subject at hand.

E: I probably missed a comma too :nyoron:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seriously, even if you hadn't heard the slur you can work it the gently caress out:

-let suffix = young
Niglet = young nig.

Jesus loving christ I'm surrounded by liberal assholes. Bell is not above criticism because he's nominally on our side. I'm not being unfair here, I've attributed no malice but handwaving it away as "obscure" is bullshit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm not sure how many times I have to say that I believe it wasn't deliberate before you stop strawmanning. The word I used was "unfortunate". This does not mean that it isn't worthy of comment or criticism.

R Mute though, mate, gently caress off. "You're trying to be offended" is a bunch of poo poo trotted out by apologists of discrimination, which is exactly what you are.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

Also, the word you used was 'careless idiot', as if there's any fault with Bell on this one.

My very first post on the subject:

mfcrocker posted:

Bell, that's a reasonably unfortunate thing to be calling him :ohdear:

If you could stop misrepresenting my argument at every available opportunity that would be great. Also no, "you're trying to be offended" has never been used innocently. It is used purely to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular subject in order to shut them up.

SedanChair posted:

Seriously though, if you see the word "niglet" the gears ought to start turning for a few seconds, at least. "Nige" doesn't sound like "Nig" for example. But my critical process absolved him in this case :)

This is a view I share.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Crane Fist posted:

Except that it does seem like you're really trying to be offended here because you're equivocating all over the place about how it wasn't supposed to be racist but it actually almost was but he probably didn't mean it but he should be criticized for it anyway despite there being nothing to criticize him for but he shouldn't have done used a word that was almost a different word even though no one is really going to make that connection and if they do they'll dismiss it as harmless because they're not perpetually outraged

Crane Fist posted:

But seriously guys don't use words that might be slurs without looking them up first, I looked up every word in this sentence to make sure they weren't offensive as I wrote it and oh my god as I explain it I have to look up more and more words and I am creating a nightmarish ouroboros formed entirely from my own ability to understand context e\gndio\sfgpfin

That's possibly one of the better strawman arguments I've seen. 5/5 for effort, 0/5 for content.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

You're really using that cry of 'strawman' to diminish and dismiss the validity of someone's offense to a particular post in order to shut them up.

It's almost like it's a valid logical fallacy! Surprising that.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

R. Mute posted:

It was a joke. I'm sorry.

Like on Top Gear?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Haha, that swan is just randomly chilling on a Lord's back with his shades on :cool:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress no labels?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Haha, Gideon looks terrifying in the Indy cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It doesn't really work though, Bozza and Farage are cuddly on the outside and evil on the inside. Geese will loving MURDER YOU

• Locked thread