Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone hang out on the Freemason facebook page? Because it's awful. I really wish someone other than a giant Randroid would take over it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is pretty much the standard: https://www.facebook.com/freemasonspage

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Which province?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

QPZIL posted:

The Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (the acronym is a fun easter egg once I figured it out :haw: ) was created by Masons

More importantly, the Shriners were created as a direct result of Blue Lodges banning alcohol in lodges. This leads to the feel that exists to this day of the Shriners feeling like a frat for 60-90 year olds. And it's awesome.

I'm a Shriner, for what it's worth.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

The icing on top was that Bro. Wafflehound ran at the time the only legitimate Bitcoin business, where he would sell gemstones for bitcoins. He eventually got out of it because it was getting all too ridiculous and tedious, but not before he outed himself as a Mason to the terror of all.

Don't sell me so short. I not only outed myself, but sent messages from the then-locked down masonry thread through other people with accounts basically talking about how we had decided to reveal our organization now that Bitcoin was too weak to defend itself, etc. and then got several other Masons from the thread to pile it on as deep as possible.

It was glorious, the whole incident actually lead to the YOSPOS gang tag as well. Pretty much my proudest moment on SA :mason:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The best part of it all was a total accident, how right when they figured out I was a Freemason SA went into its semi-regular lockdown where you needed a membership to get in and they were convinced it was because they discovered where we were posting. Tons of them paid for SA accounts and started copy/pasting our posts as proof of a grand illuminati conspiracy.

Here's the main thread, for anyone interested.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Solvent posted:

To put a lodge, or lodges in a position that they don't want to be in?

Yeah I'm totally okay with Lodges feeling uncomfrotable with open racism in their lodge. gently caress them.

Of course I've been banned for an entire Master's tenure because of something like this. Here's a tip: If the master breaks the rules, gets called on it, and then asks another brother to ask you to appologize to him, the correct response is totally to ask said second brother "Would you kindly tell the Master to go gently caress himself."

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

The "Masonic underpinnings" are really just "We can't drink at the Lodge, let's form a group to get drunk with friends from the Lodge!"

I've never met a fellow Noble who pretends it's anything else, we tend to be pretty no-bullshit about the Shrine. Except for the hospitals, those we take seriously.

Danica! posted:

The way I under stood it, basically the GL of Arkansas got their panties in a bunch over the Shrine having alcohol booths at big public events or some stadium or some dumb poo poo like that and sent a letter of censure along with orders to stop. The claim was that it violated some Grand Lodge rule. The Shrine responded with "go gently caress yourself" only in a lot more words. And they have been Hatfield and McCoying it ever since.

Hmmm yes a Masonic organization founded in response to alcohol being banned has alcohol at their events. Who'd have loving thunk.

KweezNArt posted:

I heard it was about two members in particular who were removed as MMs, but who the Shrine kept on their books. Don't know the specifics of why, though, for either side.

That said, this is what I'm getting out of it, and the Grand Lodge getting pissy doesn't bother me as much in this case. Part of the fun of being a Shriner is that it's a Masonic organization, and if someone is removed as a Mason for a valid reason they shouldn't have the right to attend extra-Lodge functions that required that Mason status to join in the first place.

I'd love a more full writeup though. Also, am I the only Shriner in the thread?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Danica! posted:

One of the guys kicked out was kicked out because he owned/ran/worked at a liquor store. Like, a legitimate business. Thats pretty fuckin bogus. But again. I don't know what the rule they were invoking said word for word. I would find it hard to believe that the GL of Arkansas prohibits lawful distributors of alcohol from being members.

Ahahahah then yeah the GL should go gently caress itself.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Tl;dr we should be good men, be honest, and never judge someone by what they believe or do, so long as what they do is lawful.

Racism is lawful.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I wish, oh how I wish, that there could be a blast out to all lodges pointing out that the whole "THE ANCIENT CHARTERS THING REQUIRE THE IMMUTABILITY OF THE SOUL" thing was invented by a guy who died in the 1960s.

I'm getting really tired of this. :mad:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The guy who runs the Freemason page is a Libertarian Randroid who can barely keep himself in line, and we've butt heads many times over this fact. I might try writing something up, but I seriously doubt I could talk him into posting it since the dude running that page has gone on about the immutability of the soul and all that as well.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Eh, what the hell. Just sent this to him:

Hello Brother!

I was wondering if I could perhaps bother you with a request for a Facebook post on the wall of Freemasons regarding the Ancient Landmarks. There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the actual Ancient Landmarks and a perception that is quite popular in the United States which has perhaps lead to a few misunderstandings on the discussion page.

There is an issue with two of the perceived landmarks, specifically "The Immutability of the Human Soul" and, less commonly, the notion of "One True God." The former comes from specifically from Roscoe Pound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Pound) expanding on his beliefs of the Ancient Landmarks from his study of Masonry. Note that he isn't a UGLE official from the 1700s, but an American Mason who would have been a contemporary of some of our older Brethren.

On one hand, an attempt to further understand the Ancient Landmarks is a nobel endeavour, but it's probably fair to say that despite the adoption of these ideals by some American Grand Lodges, they are not universal. The notion of "One True God" is at odds with the faiths of many brethren, not just on the sidelines of human spirituality but many brethren who would constitute the Grand Officer Corps in countries where Abrahamic religions are not the mainstream. Vedic traditions are only loosely monotheistic, for example, and I assure you that they would be represented in India, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Likewise, the immutability of the soul is contentious, as Buddhists hold a core tenant of Buddhism to be "anatman" or "without self", essentially a built in spiritual rejection of the very concept of a soul. Is that to say that Buddhists and Hindus are bad Masons, or that they are in violation of the Ancient Landmarks? Given the UK's history with India I imagine you'd find historical records at the UGLE who emphatically disagree.

Every Mason is of course entitled to their own beliefs, and some Grand Jurisdictions have obviously adopted alternative Landmarks as their own, but I think it's important to educate brethren that these alternative landmarks are far from universal, and that they're in fact hard to apply across the Fraternity simply because they'd exclude many Master Masons.

Education is an important cornerstone of the Masonic life, and I felt it might be worth sharing this discussion with the rest of the Brethren who read this page, that they might better understand their fellow Masons in a different light.

Thank you for your time,

[redacted]

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Loomer posted:

Physical infirmity certainly hasn't stopped him, even though I'm lead to understand there are certain difficulties re: :mason:

Edit that poo poo out, thanks.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Because Masonry is literally Skull & Bones and you've got to know the right people to even have a shot.

Send them an e-mail, don't be an atheist, and do have a penis or male gender identity. Also don't be a dick. That's pretty much it?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I'm a member of a religion that has a questionable idea of Deity in strict terms

Let's not beat around the bush, man.

The Basic Points Unifying the Mahayana and the Theravada posted:

3. We do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a God.

We're in such a grey area it's not even funny, but the fun part about this is I know Grand Officers who hold the same beliefs. If in you're mind you're not justifying a worldview that doesn't require faith (i.e. a pure atheistic one) when trying to weasel in a working definition of "god" then you're totally fine.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Can anyone recommend an Austin lodge?

Hill City #456, I lived in Austin for years and that was my lodge of choice. I initially started with Austin #12 but I found that they were less fond of younger people and more fond of their ritual than I could handle, where #456 is a much more pleasant experience, for the most part. Hill City has some good people and some good food, and they're far less up their own rear end about Masonry. They're also super easy to drop in and visit, since they meet a bit more regularly and every other meeting is less official business and more an excuse for dinner with a dash of Masonry on the side.

A good lodge.

I mean I also got kicked out of #456 for like, a year, but I like the lodge still. :buddy:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

- My friend who's in another chapter of OES says that she has to remain closeted, since her chapter does not allow lesbian women to participate. Is this true for most chapters?

Could you PM me the information of this member of OES? I'm not going to out anyone or anything but I want to do some research.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Colton posted:

I did my proficency for fellow craft and I will be raised on the 21st of this month. does that seem pretty fast to the rest of you? I was initiated in October, so three months to master mason.

Having said that, anyone in the portland area want to come to my raising? it would be cool to meet and socialize with other Goonmasons. Magoons?

If you were a little bit north I could have done this. :(

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
So the Widows' Sons is now an outlaw Masonic biker gang? Badass.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

My understanding is that generally discussions of religion and politics are frowned upon, or are forbidden. I'm not a mason so I don't actually know that though.

Forbidden. In Texas football often falls under the category of "religion" and is also banned.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

From my research, there's two main reasons.

The bigger impression I've got is that the oaths of secrecy are exclusive of the church, even though they're in a way related to matters of faith. The idea that you have a portion of your belief system tied up in something you couldn't confess to a priest about bothers the hell out of a lot of the Vatican on a doctrinal level.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Here in California we can't store alcohol in the temple.

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's prohibition-era thinking.

I don't remember my Shrine initiation because the 90 year-old running the open bar decided "rum and coke" meant a red party cup full of rum and a splash of coke for colour.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Shrine is a different thing.

I actually meant to post one other thing when I said that but posting before coffee is a bad idea. Shrine was formed as a direct reaction to Lodges banning alcohol in the US. So I'd say that the ban on alcohol is pretty widespread if one of the most successful appendant bodies formed just so people could get hammered.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keetron posted:

My maternal (not fraternal) brother is considering to become a brother (fraternal, he is already maternal). However, the coming 5 years, he will spend on and off at Fort Hood in Texas for reasons.

Now while we can initiate him over here in the Netherlands, I am unsure if he can visit a lodge in Texas before he is raised as a MM. This track takes about 2 years under our jurisdiction, with his travels likely more. But then again, one of his reasons to join (outside of the common ones) is to meet people outside of the service and with broad interest. I think it would be good for him to visit lodges in Texas, but would that be possible as a EA or F? Can a Texan brother chime in?

Former Texas Mason here. Just have him join in Texas, he'll be an MM in like three months.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Because I just got laid

All right, high five! :buddy:

Oh. :(

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Jeek posted:

A really stupid question that has probably been answered before: would a transexual man be considered a "man" according to the Freemason's entry requirement?

There's a strict faultline along age and conservatism on this issue. Younger members like me would have no problems with someone who was pre-op or not even intending on getting surgery, though I'd personally want them to be very "out" about it because if someone was in the closet then there'd be a giant problem of the inevitable fight that follows being somewhat public in the Masonic community, and it'd be very very very hard for a lodge to defend the decision to raise someone who refused to publicly identify as male because there's no way in hell that it wouldn't end with a few people kicked out/the lodge stripped of its charter if that happened.

It's very much uncharted territory, so anyone pre-op/not intending on surgery should very much be anticipating to be a bit of a public face for this issue in Masonry. Honestly, the best place for this fight would be England, if it happened in the UGLE's jurisdiction you might see a massive change of attitudes all at once.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keetron posted:

What an interesting topic and while I am sure that no lodge would make somebody who identifies as a woman a Mason

Which to be fair is why I think Sub Rosa should immediately step down from being a Mason, because if she identifies as a woman then outness or post-op-ness are irrelevant to her continued identity. No offense Sub Rosa, I still think you're cool :buddy:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I would like to be more clear on why you think I should do so. Do you feel that the requirements to join are also requirements to remain a Mason in good standing? I want to be continue to be clear that I was not consciously transgender when I petitioned and went through the degrees

Right, which is why I didn't give you crap for lying or anything. But you know as well as I do that people don't suddenly become trans* as much as they become aware of it; while you didn't lie in retrospect you certainly didn't meet the requirements to become a Mason and you have been part of other brothers breaking their Masonic vows (unwittingly on literally everyone's part, so I'm not trying to ascribe some "badness" to this). It's not that you're a woman now, it's that you always were.

Straithate posted:

I personally believe that if you enjoy the craft and are getting something out of it, Sub Rosa, you should stay if you are allowed.

I'm not even close to saying she should be kicked out.

edit: Excuse this horrible analogy, but has there ever been an instance in Masonic law of someone being raised and later finding out they weren't born free, but they genuinely didn't know?

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 21, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Actually, I'm pretty sure our obligation includes "knowing them to be such"

Hahahahah welp hot drat.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I've sat in Lodge in Ireland and Scotland. To visit Lodge in Ireland I took what's called a Masonic passport, basically a letter from my grand lodge avowing that I'm in good standing.

If you're planning on visiting Iceland be sure to bring both a Masonic passport and something to help un-wedge the stick up the rear end of whoever you're meeting. If you're visiting lodge in Sweden be sure to bring a spare liver.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Am I the only person getting irrationally angry at this whole MASONS BELIEVE IN ONE TRUE GOD thing that a fair number of states and the Masonic Information Centre seem hellbent on pushing everywhere in the world? I keep seeing it pop up on the freemasonry Facebook group (which is admittedly terrible, it's run by a self-interested Randroid who struggles to keep his ideology out of it) and it just seems like a really lovely thing to do to Brothers of other faiths. I mean, I don't think I've set foot in a blue lodge in 2-3 years so maybe I'm not the best judge here, but I find this subtle "Anyone is welcome, but jesusjesusjesusjesus" thing that American lodges have going on is perhaps slightly disrespectful.

Does anyone know where I can get the UGLE rules on religion and memberships?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Rotary?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
It's mainly a US thing, I haven't seen it out here in BC either.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Reminder that for at least two posters in this thread this is a major religious figure:

So... let's just say demons and the like are subjective. :v:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Aureus posted:

Thats a stand in term for "Your God." Actual literal worship of Satan would be... an interesting one? There'd have to be some kind of twist to it else you are accepting the Christian theology but choosing to worship the "bad guy" which I guess would bring rise to moral questions?

Yeah, it'd be like people worshipping dangerous false Messiah who came late in the establishment of your faith and splintered off people from the chosen tribe by claiming to be the Son of God. :jewish:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Mine is white with a layer of dust.

Ah yes, White Powder Lodge #420.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
When I die I expect my lodge to show up in tuxes and already drunk with a DJ hired in advanced.

That or a Dia del Muerte theme party

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Emron posted:

WHEN I DIE GET THE SHRINE TO HOLD MY WAKE

This is a great way to turn one funeral into many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Off topic, but Emron every time you post I want to change my avatar back to this:

But then I just start feeling bitter about the 2010 BCS.