Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
That wound was mostly healed by a Seahawks superbowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for reminding me I owe the GLoW a small pile of money. I should get on that.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

General question then for any Buddhists who can help me, what do you consider your sacred text? I've seen differing views amongst some, but does anybody have any direction for me?

The Dhammapada (which is a pan-tradition text, contrary to what 7thBatallion said) is my stand in, because using the actual Buddhist canon would be really unwieldy.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I did it on the Bible because at that time I wasn't explicitly religious to the point of a specific faith, but I think viewing wanting your own religious text as a "special snowflake" thing is horrible.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What appendent bodies have the whole "use your own book" thing? I want to show up with the entire Buddhist Canon.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Right, but I've been a Mason for 6 years so I need one of the side orgs to mess with.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
And if I end up living where I'm planning on living they'll never be Masons.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Sweden. Christians only.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

The Moon is under the jurisdiction of the GL of Texas, though. There are Moon Masons.

I still love that Texas has an undoubtedly legitimate claim, since they literally delivered the claim charter to the Moon in Buzz Aldrin's pocket.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm not sure I can think of a country that needs igneous geologists less than the Netherlands. I'd still move there in a heartbeat, though.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keetron posted:

I have no idea what an igneous geologist does

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The goat is unobserved by the candidate, and thus it is both real and unreal until such a time as the candidate is in a position to determine its existence for himself.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Emron posted:

On being goatless, what I most desired was more goats.

Oh my god I need to talk someone into doing this.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If anyone asks you what you desire tell them more goats.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Isn't that the building where every angle is divisible by either 3° or 33°?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've got friends at the Grand a lodge of Sweden, and my fondest memory of Freemasonry is showing up at the Grand Lodge dressed like a backpacker and 7 years under the minimum age you need to be to become a Mason in Sweden right before Christmas. They told me to come back the next day, they'd lend me a suit, and I'd get a free seat at their super swanky Christmas dinner.

Basically Swedes own. If you're in town stop by and ask them for a tour, the building is literally more impressive than the UGLE (since it's actually a former palace).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Couple of brief facts:

This picture is taken from the organ, which is in a seperate area raised above the degree room. I got to see a degree performed in this room (I was sitting on the right side closer to wear that picture was taken). Every chair has a sword hanging from the back of it, which you can see if you look at the bottom left of the picture. The ceiling is wired to light up with stars, though it's off in this and you can only see the dark blue dome.

At a certain degree, every Mason in Sweden makes their own heraldic crest. The heraldry on the walls is from those members, and there are certain markings found on some of them that indicate the owner is Swedish nobility. Many of the crests are representative of the profession of the owner, which leads to some amusic things on them. As far as I know, this room was originally basically the palace throne room. If I was in Texas I actually have a copy of the history of the Swedish Grand Lodge's history there.

This is the view from the courtyard, taken from the street in Gamla Stan. If you're ever there and want to get shown around, go to the left side of that picture and bang on the door until someone lets you in. :buddy:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

A local Lodge is having their last meeting on the 90th anniversary of their first meeting. How fancy should I dress?

Whatever we say you'll just try to wear a tux.

Sithsaber posted:

1. Are there favored philosophers that are on the general reading list?

2. How are Jungians viewed? His Abraxas (technically Abrasax) concept is problematic if the more humility based relationship with the divine is still present in freemasonry.

3. Does the organization permit epicurean esque hedonism, or is a almost vanguard state of sacrifice for progress and enlightenment in the rituals?

4. You guys have a thing for shapes. Do you even bother with metaphysical platonic solids?

No, as victims, it's classified, and possibly. Respectively.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

Except the domestic terrorism investigation. But that was some douchebag that just wanted to get back for me calling him names on the Internet.

But you showed him. You showed them all! Ahahahahahha!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I can't tell if you're a ratfuck insane conspiracy theorist or just someone who thinks they know far more than they do.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Actually on second thought the former pretty much by definition includes the latter.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Ps. I get that, but have always hoped there is more to this than a mystic moose lodge.

Then straight up ask us instead of getting all "weird-woo-look at me I watched a history channel special on aliens" and we'll tell you that it's pretty much a barely-mystic moose lodge.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

gently caress Im immensely happy about what happened tonight.

Congrats, Brother!

Go play some Goat Simulator to prep for the examination for the FC degree.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Arguing about what to eat next meeting.

7thBatallion posted:

Talking poo poo about college football teams, voting on budgets, talking more poo poo, eating, dealing with petitions for the degrees, making UW/WSU jokes, setting initiations and degree dates, eating, and badmouthing the Steelers.

It may seem like it, but these are honestly not joke answers. It's the same stuff that happens when you get a bunch of friends in the same room; we gently caress around.

And also secret rituals.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Any brothers currently members of a lodge in Austin TX? Looking to get some info...

I was for years. Short answer is you want Hill City #456, Austin #12 is older and more prestigious but I've had my issues with some of the regulars there and if you're younger/more enlightened you might burn out on them, they're very much the unfunny old boy's club of the city. Both are on the corner of 18th and Lavaca at the Scottish Rite building and as far as I remember 456 does either weekly or biweekly meetings which are less formal and have dinner beforehand (which means they're easier to visit, just e-mail them before hand or call an hour or so before one of their meetings).

I'll tell you that Austin is super focused around Scottish Rite and to a lesser extent the Shrine and York Rite. I'd normally advise new Masons to stay out of appendant bodies until later in their Masonic career but in Austin you'd probably want to jump into one anyways because of how much of the Masonic life in Austin revolves around them.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Have some non-forum contact method so we can chat more instantaneous like?

FoWaffelhound on AIM.

Chernabog posted:

Do any of you go to a lodge that is not in English? I go to a lodge in Spanish and I find it very interesting to see all the English terms here. Makes me wonder if I would be able to follow it.

I've sat through a first degree in Sweden?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Was it different at all? Or pretty much the same?

Very very different, Masonry operates on a different system in Scandinavia.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Keep in mind, Sithsaber is not a Mason, just seemingly very heavy into philosophy/theosophy.

He also has an incredibly poor grasp on what Masonry is.

Sithsaber posted:

9 times out of ten freemasonry is basically a mystic moose lodge. That is acceptable.

I'm really curious as to how you can arrive at this conclusion when every Mason is really confused as to where you're getting these ideas. I worry a bit that they're misleading people into thinking Masonry is some deep metaphysical crazy person fantasy and not, you know, a fraternal organization.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
What I'm saying is that I've been a Mason for 7 years and you're a dude on the internet who claims to know a lot about Masonry despite not being one and all of us here who are Masons have no idea what you're talking about half the time and some of us have kindly asked that you stop presenting yourself as an expert or even knowledgable.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

zapplez posted:

Any Ontario masons in this thread? Preferablly Durham Region or Kawartha lakes area? Shot in the dark I know. Thinking about joining up but have some questions.

No, but I've hung out at the Grand Lodge of Ontario and have some sense of their organization?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

The Proc posted:

Since it came up, has there been any progress on the handful of states that still don't recognize Prince Hall lodges? I'm in SC and this thread has piqued my interest in masonry but I'm reluctant to explore it while that's an issue.

Specifically, I don't want to be visiting a lodge in a non-backwater and find myself obligated to leave because some Prince Hall guys are there and irregular to my lodge. Didn't someone have a story similar to that earlier in the thread?

Unironically join Prince Hall.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is the Masonry thread.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Transmen are men, we are a men's organization. You weren't meant to return, please take into consideration that essentially everyone has asked you to stop posting in here, Sithsaber.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Because you've created a fantasy version of historical Freemasonry that never existed and are really getting mad when you find out that no, we're not some mystery cult but we're really a bunch of dudes who like ritual and chicken.

Seriously, please go away. I get why some people might want to keep you around to gawk at but you spread misinformation like crazy to new people who might come in asking questions and you've demonstrated over and over that you have zero idea what the gently caress you're actually talking about.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Nobody wants to hear me critique a organization I know nothing about.

Hmmm, quite.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

people don't want me to post.

Hmmm, quite.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

I should probably leave this thread

Hmmmm, quite.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Seriously, please stop replying to him. Please.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Where I live every lodge night is Hawaiian shirt night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I haven't been to lodge since moving to Hawaii but I imagine Hawaiian shirts are pretty standard.

Sithsaber posted:

It's not as important as old man humor funny shirt day?

Hmmm, quite.