Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The current order of business is "gently caress Florida".
Edit:
Grand Lodge of CA sent me this:

Grand Secretary posted:

Hi Brother Lovable, thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Grand Master and me. This item will likely be a topic of discussion at the Conference of Grand Masters of Masons of North American in Kansas City in February. You can be assured that our leadership will actively listen and participate in these discussions as appropriate.

Best,

Grand Secretary

Also gently caress Arkansas. http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2012/11/shrine-declared-clandestine-in-arkansas.html

I'm not a Shriner but I think this whole posturing thing between the two of them is idiotic.

Edit:

Worshipful Goon posted:

Then as Worshipful Master, I order Something Awful Getout Thread #3523447 to be now open. :mason:

Brother Goons, It's the order of the Worshipful Goon that a thread of master goons be open in this forum and that you conduct yourselves accordingly. :getin:

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Innerguard posted:

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

How dare you share these interesting little facts. I'll have you brought before the Supreme council of magi masons for this! :argh:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Can somebody frame that post somehow? I don't believe we've ever had someone disagree with us on that point and then eventually come around.

I thought the exact same thing when I read it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

I hope to someday join a Free Mason lodge. They seem like a great way to better myself and the world around me. However, a little about myself..

- I am half black.

- I was not "born free" as I was born to slave owners on a Haitian farm originally.

- I suppose I identify as male, but I was born transgendered.

- I believe in a singular creator, that creator is Lucifer.

Would I face any intolerance while attempting to join the Free Masons?
Here are some pretty cool dudes that you can Bro out with.

http://www.kofc.org

Edit: the knights of Columbus give us dirty looks every year at a local annual chili cook off.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 23, 2012

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

It's called Old Master's, yet the compasses are arranged for EDIT

Is that one of the things we are supposed to talk about? I've been unclear on that one for a long time.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Glorified Scrivener posted:

None of this prevents each lodge's Supreme and most Wise Council of Venerable Elders from exercising the influence that comes from having belonged to an organization for decades; in both lodges I've attended their agenda has been limited to insisting that coffee be brewed to the consistency and strength of brown dishwater. In other places this cabal may have more nefarious motives.

Brother you hit a key note. I learned the hard way at both lodges that I'm a member of, that if the coffee isn't so black that you can nearly chew it that you will suffer the wrath of no less than three Past Masters.

quote:

In other places this cabal may have more nefarious motives.

I'm paraphrasing a conversation I had with a member of my lodge. A little background: this guy is sort of like my Freemason hero. He knows the ritual inside out and backwards. He even has an errata on the REDACTED. He's also a 33rd degree Scottish rite mason and the local Scottish rite has a big painting of him on the wall :v:

Taking a small break from working on my staircase lecture
:hist101: (Bob) How many people show up to stated meeting?
:reject: (me) I'd say about a dozen, maybe 16.
:hist101: (bob) That's right, and if four or five of your friends joined you could effectively take over the lodge.
:colbert: (me) That doesn't sound very maso...
:twisted: (Bob) It's the reality of the situation!
:ohdear: (me) That's true...
:cool: (Bob) -Just looks me in the eye with a smug grin and we return to the ritual work.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 24, 2012

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Do some atheists/agnostics sometimes feign belief to be accepted in a masonic order?

What happens if they're caught?

I don't know any. I'm pretty close to being an Agnostic but I simply state I'm a Deist (which is true) so I don't rock the boat. If you were an Atheist at the time you took your obligation I imagine you'd have to get the boot. If you become an Atheist later and get found out they'd probably boot you. The thing is, if you're an Atheist you'd be bored with our ceremonies, and I doubt you'd pay dues to something that didn't interest you.

All that said, an Atheist probably wouldn't stick around long.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Sorry for the double post.

Today I visited many brothers from my lodge who were in the hospital, in assisted living, a nursing home, and/or who I had strong reason to believe that they would be alone on Christmas eve. I am happy that I visited these guys, many of them were World War II vets and all of them were exceptional people in their own right.

If we all look after each other the world can be a little better and a little brighter.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I joined when I was 25. Even though I have basically no relatives that are masons everyone I knew was sort of like "It took you long enough..." I don't know why either, I never talked about masonry or showed an interest in it until a month or so before I put in my paperwork. :shrug:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

mrbill posted:

In 2010, I was given my Lodge's equivalent of their "Mason of the Year" award, and was just completely flabbergasted by it. I like to think that my Grandfather was looking down on me proudly from somewhere. 8-)

Hiram award?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

That is really cool.

Unrelated, remember how I posted that I visited some old brothers on Christmas eve? One of them (one I was very fond of) passed on just eight or nine hours after my visit. I'd like to think that the GAOTU wanted a brother to visit him before he traveled to the Grand Lodge in the Sky. :unsmith:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Wow. That hits me right in the, eh, apron.

I wont go on about it too much, but needless to say I'm really upset. Maybe I'll blog it or something.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Florida Goon here.
Just how bad have the local lodges gotten about purging non-christians?

I got into contact with my grand lodge and the Grand Secretary of California sent me this:

quote:

Hi Brother my name, thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Grand Master and me. This item will likely be a topic of discussion at the Conference of Grand Masters of Masons of North American in Kansas City in February. You can be assured that our leadership will actively listen and participate in these discussions as appropriate.

Best,

Grand Secretary's name

So as you can see this is being taken seriously and I would not be shocked at all if this ended in February.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't know what the Grand and Glorious Order of Knights of the Creeping Serpent is, but the Grand Master of California sure is pissed off at them:

Edit: Exactly what Bro. FreshFeesh said:

FreshFeesh posted:

It was basically an illegal (per California Masonic Code) appendant body that tried to skirt around the CMC and still confer their private degrees. Time and time again they were reprimanded and told to quit it, basically. When they finally petitioned to become a recognized body, it was shot down soundly (the 90%+ defeat). Most of us who had voted on those ballots thought the matter settled.

Now the group has come forth again to our current GM and said "no, no, we're just a social club, no degrees or anything that violate the CMC" so the GM said that they could meet as such, as there is no CMC stipulation preventing such. Aaaaaand then it turns out that no, actually, they are the same ol' club hazing and beating candidates.

Something tells me these guys are going to get a bit sterner of a reprimand this time around.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 29, 2012

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Thatim posted:

How do most freemasons deal with this? Did anyone ever ran into angry people when they found out? I mean, I got into a fight last year because I was wearing a shirt with the number '88 on the back of it.. it had to do with the "birthday" of my sportclub. I ran into a guy that thought I was a Nazi, because the 8th letter of the alphabet is a "h". So 88 means "hh" which seems to be a aberration of heil Hitler.

Defuck.

I had a Catholic priest tell me I was in a dangerous cult and he quickly shied away from me, that's about as bad as I've gotten it. I've heard stories but it seems like these days most sane people are just ignorant of Freemasonry and don't have anything against it.

Edit: and the way we are supposed to deal with it is basically be the better person, when possible.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 30, 2012

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I visited a nearby lodge last night. Their SD didn't show up so I volunteered for the night. I have to admit that I miss the ritual work. Next year I'm going to be the Tiler of another lodge (not the one that I stepped out of the line from.)

My question is: do you think it would be out of line to ask the district inspector to qualify me for the staircase lecture? I don't want to steal anyone's job, but it would be nice to know that I can still do it if it's needed. The main thing of course is that I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

First off good for for taking in initiative to check us out. Sometimes the secretary handles it, sometimes some other officer does, but it's not uncommon (actually I'd say it is common) for the master to take interest in prospective members.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Ari posted:

I'm glad you say so. We're already quite friendly, I don't want to ruin anything.

Yeah it's best to keep it that way. I feel speaking to my grand lodge officers was more than enough in this situation. I briefly entertained the idea of calling the guy but really there's no reason to cause even more disharmony.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I'm not disagreeing with you brother; there will be consequences for his actions. That said, there is a time and a place to bring up these matters and I feel the Grand Masters conference is probably the best place for this to be handled.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Agreed brother. I think Ari did what was best for the Craft at the time.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I'm going to be in Pennsylvania later this month. Any PA Mason Goons here?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

cda posted:

So I guess my question is what's up with the JEW ROBES?

I think they are used in the 34th Illuminati degree.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Very Nice Eraser posted:

This is an interesting thread! Other than attending a wedding reception at an Elk's lodge (do Masons rent out spaces like that?)

Yes yes yes! My mother lodge relies in rental income to stay afloat. Remember us when renting!

Edit:

quote:

Can those of us who aren't obliged to Masonic rules bring up the secret stuff? Assuming we don't violate copyright on the monitors, there's no problem, right?

Also, I'm curious how serious Masons take the brotherhood. For instance, suppose I'm running down the street looking back over my shoulder. A police siren sounds somewhere out of site. I happen to run past a Mason barbecue going on (go with me here) and give the distress gesture. Will I get some no-questions-asked help? Or would that not really fly? (Hey, you can never be too prepared!)

If someone brings up stuff that's supposed to be a secret in person I tend to ignore it. If they are being a jerk about it then I will just leave.

With the mason BBQ question: if I found a brother to be in a seriously bad situation and I was in a position to help him then I would.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 23, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Snowy posted:

And the cop is more likely to be a Mason than the guy running away.

And to ward the :tinfoil: off Snowy means we don't let crooks into our Fraternity or if they slip by they don't last long.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Which reminds me of another question: what's the procedure for shitcanning a brother? What can get you kicked out?

Breaking your obligation. Doing something terrible or by your actions making not only yourself look bad but the entire fraternity. If you're a decent human being then you're probably in no real danger of getting canned... Except in Florida™

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

7thBatallion posted:

My WM just contacted me via Facebook asking where I have been, and if I want to head to Daylight Lodge #232 up in Green Lake. By the time meetings come around there at 10am on Saturdays I'm utterly exhausted, and usually still asleep, but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

I would turn it down if I was as tired as you described. He's the master of the lodge, not God.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sayeth the Luciferian. :colbert:

Fair point.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

qraham posted:

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

Good luck with that. Being a Mason has never helped me get a job.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

usernamen_01 posted:

Also, side question here: what are the rules on wearing your ring in public? I've heard mixed messages about this.

Edit: Wafflehound said it better.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Wear it whenever you want as long as you're an MM.

In my jurisdiction you're allowed to wear the square and compass when you're Master Mason. However, because I'm a rebel :cool: I started wearing a ring right after I was initiated. I did take off my ring before I went to meetings or dinners though, to avoid the wrath of some past masters.

All that said I don't see a reason why a Master Mason shouldn't wear a ring as often as he pleases or to wherever he feels it's appropriate.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 3, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I started wearing mine after I got my EA, but nobody in my district cared and I was specifically told it was okay.

Yeah no one in my district cares either. We had an EA wear his ring right after he was initiated and no one said a word to him.

Life is too short to make bullshit out of something like that, though there's always one or two bastards out there willing to make a federal case out of it. :shrug:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Darn you, now I sort of want to go through the York and SR degrees. Though with the oath in commandery I don't think I could do those degrees in good conscience.

Question York Rite brothers, could I do the degrees up to commandery and not progress or is that some sort of faux pas?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

My understanding is that yes, you can. But, I'd say that a large majority of people who join the YR do so solely to get to the Commandery.

And in Commandery you have to swear to defend Christianity right?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

It seems to vary by jurisdiction. In NC the wording is "swear to defend the Christian faith," but I've seen another petition (Illinois maybe?) where the wording is "swear a belief in the Christian faith."

Not to turn this into a theological discussion, but the first I can do. The second I can not.

Just like blue lodge and the issue of belief in a higher power, as long as you can answer "yes" without hesitation, reservation, or secret evasion of mind, then it's not discussed any further. I've read on another forum of their being Jews in the Commandery, though obviously I can't speak for them.

Well even the idea of swearing to defend the christian faith is unappealing to me. Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you knew before I wasted time really looking into it. :)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

The argument, at least with the "swear to defend the Christian faith" wording, is that you're defending a Christian's right to have said faith, to worship as they see fit.

I don't really agree with that interpretation, but to each their own.

Yeah that seems like a stretch to me too.

Well I think the SR, Shrine, and OES don't require any of that so all of those are still options for me. :)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Then again Albert Pike is as crazy as a football bat.

I said something like that to a Brother the other day and he got huffy and called me "irreverent." The dude was bonkers, I don't know why people try to deny that.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Straithate posted:

During the Order of the Temple you are asked to defend the Christian religion along with several other things (destitute widows, and orphans). The OoT ritual is meant to represent the path which a historic Knight Templar would have to take to become a member of the order. Just like the penalties of our obligations in blue lodge, this oath isn't literal and it shouldn't be taken as such.

What I would say, however, is that there are quite a few biblical references (eg. Jesus, the crucifixion, Judas etc.)

I know you Brothers aren't trying to sell me on York Rite so keep my reply with that in mind. I think York rite just isn't for me. I'll defend any brother, but I refuse to give my word to defend some random person's faith. I'm all for freedom of religion but there are some sects of Christianity that are flat out unhealthy in my eyes. I apologize for the derail.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 8, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

mrbill posted:

I've got an Endowed Membership to the Grand Lodge of Texas.

What is that? I've never heard of that term in CA.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Effingham posted:

I am moving forward with the York degrees next month, although -- I must admit -- every time I see someone use "sir knight" as a reference rather than an address, the English speaker and former magazine/newspaper editor in me twitches.

"Sir knight" is a term of *address* ("Sir knight, how are you this evening?') and not a term of reference ("Do you know that sir knight over there?"). KNIGHT is the term of reference. DAMMIT.

THat always makes me twitch, and I just know I'm going to have issues with it.

Be sure to say that verbatim during the degree.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

You have B&J pillars. Ad a P pillar. Now you have PB&J. :v:

PB&J the three great ingredients of sandwich-Masonry: for as you have already been informed that you need Peanut butter to bind, Jelly to augment, and Bread to establish all great and wonderful sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Don't worry too much about the suit not being dark enough, as long as it's neat and tidy, you'll be fine. Everyone will be happy to have you along, it's great to see some of the youngins turn up at this last sad office to departed merit.

Exactly. Just look nice and it will be very appreciated that you are there.