Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

mrbill posted:

One of our Lodge's classic stories involves someone flubbing "tongue of good report" and saying "report of good tongue" instead...

We had a "Have you examined yourself and found yourself to be totally naked?" (Naked of course not being the right word)

Poor candidate was freaking out there for a second.

We also had one guy who was about to do his FC degree ask if it was similar to the EA where "we threw a little water in his face."

Took us a bit of back and forth to figure out he'd stopped where the roof was leaking that day and gotten dripped on. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Glorified Scrivener posted:

In this jurisdiction the only potential downside to such an action would be that you'd be asked what else you wanted to be qualified for. I've never run into a situation where making the pool of people who know the ritual broader and deeper was resented - sooner or later the regular guy is going to be sick or traveling and they'll need a backup. Here the smaller/more rural lodges always need people who can help out with the work as well.

Go for it brother.

Seconded.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

SafetyTrain posted:

What kind of income disparity is there usually in your run-of-the-mill Lodge?

Are there any highly represented professions?

I'd like too know this because I feel the general view of Masons are that they are high-income folks hanging with other high-income folks. I feel this might not be true, or at least false too a certain degree. My own view, not very researched, view on Masons is that they're people seeking similar people. To me this makes for a possibly homogenous group.

We've got a Police officer, Few IT guys, Retirees (including a 40+ year Ford guy), Mechanics, School Teachers, Electrician, Disabled Vet, etc. So my lodge is quite varied. (And that's just the regulars)

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

cda posted:

Hi there. On a tour of the George Washington Masonic Temple in Alexandria VA a friend and I were wandering around. Anyway, there was this big meeting hall with a hallway alongside it and the hallway had these small metal plates set in the wall which you could swing open to spy on the people in the meeting hall and at the end there were these stairs that led up to a small windowless room that had metal cabinets in it, one of which was clearly marked JEW ROBES. It was full of bright red robes.

So I guess my question is what's up with the JEW ROBES?

They're Kosher.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Very Nice Eraser posted:

This is an interesting thread! Other than attending a wedding reception at an Elk's lodge (do Masons rent out spaces like that?) and seeing the Lion's eyeglass collection box at the grocery store, I've never really interacted with any such organizations.

Can those of us who aren't obliged to Masonic rules bring up the secret stuff? Assuming we don't violate copyright on the monitors, there's no problem, right?

Also, I'm curious how serious Masons take the brotherhood. For instance, suppose I'm running down the street looking back over my shoulder. A police siren sounds somewhere out of site. I happen to run past a Mason barbecue going on (go with me here) and give the distress gesture. Will I get some no-questions-asked help? Or would that not really fly? (Hey, you can never be too prepared!)

Mr Brother in Law got married at a Masonic Hall. Though, that could have been because his Grandfather is a Mason. (I wasn't at the time).

As for getting help, generally speaking yes. Murder and treason aside...

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Welcome Brothers!

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

lone77wulf posted:

I've got a question on what's permissable in terms of learning my EA information. Not sure if someone is willing to answer over PM, or if its ok to ask in here. I'm still waiting on a mentor, so I'm not sure who else to ask.

For a little content, I found it odd that at the night of the last meeting, I was being told about each step and the time in between to learn while 2 people were turning in petitions to be read so they could be voted on in time for them to attend the 1 day Grand Master's class, where they'll run through all 3 plus SR 4th degree in one day. I got the feeling that it is kind of looked down on to so it that way, and promised myself I'd do it the "right" way, so even if they'd ask I wouldn't go. It just confused me to see such a difference within one lodge on that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to self impose a 1 year wait on myself between MM and any appendant bodies.

And as a follow up to my post-EA report, I found out that one of the participants that night, who was one of the first people I met in the lodge, is getting his 33rd degree later this year. Kind of humbling to realize that someone that involved and honored by others will come to Lodge to help with a new brother's iniation.

Personally, I would say don't try to learn anything extra about the process besides what they tell you. It keeps it more interesting that way.

As for 1 day sessions, it's not something I'd prefer to do, but to each his own. It was common during WW2, and in places where it's hard to get enough people together on a regular basis to get all 3 degrees done in a timely manner.

I assisted in performing a Masonic Funeral last week for a Brother who was raised in a 1 day thing while he was in the Merchant Marine in 1945. He was well regarded in the community and the Lodge.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Keetron posted:

I think we are allowed to talk to anyone, just not go into masonic details.

Anyway, was raised yesterday and now I can call myself MM. That was something different entirely, I must say.

Congrats Brother. Glad to see you survived the journey.

We're raising a Brother tonight, I love doing these things.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Am I the only Mason in the history of the fraternity that finds degrees boring as hell at this point? :(

Probably has to do with that I've only been doing it for a couple years and I like any excuse to have a Lodge night. They're basically my only nights out.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Innerguard posted:

I've just returned from a great sojourn with some of the guys from my lodge to meet brethren we've got a bit of a rapport with in Northern Ireland, mainly Services Lodge #174 under the Irish Constitution and St Patrick #77, as well as a side trip to the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. It was a great weekend, and the Grand Lodge of Ireland was absolutely magnificent. Pictures etc should be forthcoming soonish.

That sounds like a great trip, looking forward to the photos.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Colton posted:

Just curious about something after reading about how to petition. All of my friends who have known me for years are out of state. Would they still call them? Is there any criteria for the references (years known, all men, etc)?

If it's all you got, it's all you got.

A handy thing about joining a Lodge is making a whole lot of new friends.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Thanks Jack White!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/musician-jack-white-saves-detroit-masonic-temple-paying-off-concert-venues-142k-tax-bill

He paid off the Detroit Masonic Temple's tax bill. They were in danger of being foreclosed on.

He's originally from Detroit, played some shows at the Temple, and his Mother was an Usher there.

If you happen to be in the area, it's a heck of a building to take a tour of.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Deegan posted:

My friend was living with his fiancé and was waiting until he was married to join the Masons down in TN. Recently married he now is going to join the chapter her extended family is a member of. If I was interested in joining should I find a contact in my yankee state or wait until he is a member?

I would find a local contact. The local Lodge is going to be who you decide if you want to be a member of, and they have to decide if they want you as a member.

While a recommendation from a far off Lodge does say a little something about you, it is far from a get in free card.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Because Masonry is literally Skull & Bones and you've got to know the right people to even have a shot.

Send them an e-mail, don't be an atheist, and do have a penis or male gender identity. Also don't be a dick. That's pretty much it?

Freemasonry - Have one & don't be one.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Colton posted:

just got an email inviting me to breakfast at the lodge this Saturday. They feed me, then they vote on if they want me after I leave. wish me luck

For the love of God, use the correct fork!

There is no correct fork, it's a :mason: trick.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Colton posted:

I have three more days until my initiation and i want to learn more about masonry while i wait. Anyone have any links to informative youtube videos? I found a couple where benjamin franklin talks about freemasonry. Any other historical type stuff?

I don't have any handy, but I would advise, as others have, that you avoid anything about the rituals until you've done each one.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
We wear cloth ones to meetings, though we have a lambskin one. (Michigan Mason reporting in)

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Looking to become a mason. Currently living in San Antonio, TX

I have about 8 lodges in my general area. What do I look for in a lodge? Just whatever is close to me?

Do you just awkwardly show up and start badgering members about joining?

Talk with the Secretary as mentioned for sure.

As for what to look for:

They meet on nights you're available and are people you would like to hang out with. Even better if they inspire you.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Anyone in the Southern Michigan area interested in a "Building Better Builders" workshop with Br. John S. Nagy in late April?

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
That alter and those pillars are wonderful. Little jealous!

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Yesterday was a pretty exciting occasion, as I was able to take part in raising my best friend of eight years to the sublime degree of Master Mason.

Late response, but awesome news!

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Keetron posted:

On a completely different note: I want to order several things, including masonic regalia, online but many North American sellers are not sending to Europe or at very high expenses.

My question is if someone in this thread could act like a relay station, I order a bunch of things (jewelry, books, some clothing, ok, not everything is regalia), bundle it together and ship it to me in the Netherlands? All costs incurred would be reimbursed of course and I would be happy to return the favor.

I could take care of this for you. My gmail is the same as my username.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Monday will be 7 years since I was raised.

I had some artwork done 2 years back:

The markings on the square are to scale.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Cimber posted:

I am starting to catch serious poo poo from the WM that i am missing so many meetings. I dont WANT to miss the meetings, but every time we have one there is either night shift work I have to do, an obligation from my kids I have to attend, or my wife is off on a business trip. I had my last meeting monday night until September. :(

Then the WM says to me "So if you can't make the meetings, why did you take an officer chair?"

"Well WM, I didn't want to take a chair, I wanted to be a sideliner this year, you basically guilted me into taking a seat."

If you were up front about being busy and taking the spot as a favor, the WM is at fault for complaining.

This coming from a PM who asked a couple busy guys to take chairs and didn't complain when they only made around half the meetings.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Everything is new to you, so it's normal to feel that way.

Opening in EA should have no noticeable effect on the Lodge, other than a longer Opening and Closing than you would in the other two degrees.

I don't think we've opened in MM yet this year due to a couple of new people working their way through.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Emron posted:

In Ohio, we can open in whatever we feel like, so we open on the lowest degree in attendance that night. I prefer it that way, as I joined in WV which mandates opening in MM, meaning a guy couldn’t attend and feel like a brother until he’d finished his degrees.

Michigan is the same as Ohio... oh man, that felt dirty to say.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average
Nope. We see who's there that day and open in the lowest degree required.

If there is a reason mid meeting to change levels, we will do that though.

(Open on EA, Brother gives Proficiency, change to FC, vote, Proceed with FC degree work on said Brother for example)

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Also from Michigan, can confirm this is how our meetings have been going too.

Just spotted this.

Where's your lodge? I'm from 175

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Not far! I'm from #5.

Nice!

Welcome Brother!

If I ever make it up that way, I'll be sure to look you up.

If you're going to Grand Lodge next year (It'll be in Ypsi in May), let me know. I should be there and we can sip on some Whiskey and I can complain how things weren't done that way during MY year.