Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I follow this thread mostly because my granddad was a Shriner and I'm interested in Masonry, even though I'm not eligible to join. (drat the requirement that you believe in a higher power!)

Anyway, this was in the state paper today, and I thought you guys might find it interesting. It's a picture of a lodge in a tiny Arkansas town from the 1930s. Please forgive the poor quality -- I don't have a scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
One of my good friends just became Worshipful Master of the Federal Lodge #1 in DC. Just from what you guys say here, I understand that's a big deal. But what does it really mean?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

A friend of mine mentioned that his lodge is working with a deaf awareness group this year, and it put a question in my mind. Say a blind or deaf man, who meets the requirements, wants to join. The deaf guy only does ASL and doesn't lip-read. Clearly a non-Mason translator wouldn't work, so are there Mason interpreters available? For the blind guy, are there Braille or audio versions of the ritual work available? I asked my friend, but I'd like to hear a wider response from you guys.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Keetron posted:

once a year "open to all who are interested to look inside the building and learn a bit more about masonry"

How could I find out when local groups are doing this? I can't join because I'm a filthy atheist, but my granddad was a Shriner and I'm curious.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

You guys are doing a really poo poo job of keeping the Bitcoin system down. I am severely disappointed in your vast conspiracy powers.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I don't know if any of you are in the area or would be interested, but the first cornerstone laying ceremony in over 100 years in Arkansas is coming up later this month.

Continued growth brings new lodge

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Some years old but probably not much change. Apparently owning a liquor license is or at least was disqualifying for membership in NC and Arkansas
http://web.archive.org/web/20041011031816/http://bessel.org:80/liquor.htm
Hahaha of course, because Arkansas still has dry counties and bans alcohol sales statewide on Sundays in TYOOL 2018.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Just FYI there are two OES pins going on the first commercial space flight (hopefully) today as one astronaut's personal items

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

And now, for no reason other than I just ran across it again, I present a picture of my paternal grandparents, with grandpa Chuck in his Shriner fez! I thought y'all might appreciate it. I believe it's from the late 90s and in Iowa near Sioux City

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Cheese Thief posted:

So I just show up? I have a co worker that maybe could put a good work in for me too.
Yeah, just show up at your local lodge's public meeting and tell them you want to join for networking

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Cimber posted:

But in all seriousness, Freemasonry isn't for networking. If networking is what you are looking for join the Rotary Club. Freemasonry is a men's fraternity that provides social interaction, charity, moral lessons and fun.
Oh go and ruin my fun. 😡😂

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I'm kinda surprised by W Virginia since they broke off from Virginia during the Civil War, but the rest is unfortunately expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I think the overall decrease in religious beliefs is a problem. I'd be interested because one grandfather was a Mason, but I don't believe in any kind of higher power.