Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CopRock posted:

Newly elected S.W. I want to start my hat shopping early for next year, anyone have a good milliner they recommend ? As J.W. this year I presided over six EA degrees in a borrowed lid, and want to step up my game.

I can vouch for this place, the oldest hat shop in Brooklyn: http://www.bencrafthats.com/

Edit- I like this one:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=169&subcname=Felt+Hats

Good thing I'm not in a hat-wearing position just yet.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Colonial Air Force posted:

On that note, I am a member of the Fraternal Order of the Beaver.

Is this a LARPing lodge?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's a lodge for historical reenactors. Yes.
That's very cool. Actually right after I posted that I thought, "aren't they all?" :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've been meaning to get a bottle of this:

http://www.lombardscotchwhisky.com/oldmasters.htm

7thBatallion posted:

Now, where do I find the right wax sealing stamp?

Congratulations, you just came up with the perfect excuse to get a sweet new signet ring!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

7thBatallion posted:

I'm in no rush to prove up to Fellowcraft, my coach wants me to hurry the process up, but I'm all about taking my time. Is that a bad thing? If I take a year or so to make it to Master, will it be some mark against me?

I visited my lodge's table lodges for a year before initiation, and then took a year to do Fellowcraft. In a few months I'll have the third degree, two and a half years after first contacting the lodge. I could have gone a little faster, but not by much. My lodge tends to want people to pace their progression and that really helped draw me to them in the first place.

I say savor the degrees and take your time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

QPZIL posted:

I always chuckle when I see aprons that have a thick-color trim like that.

It makes me wonder if the founders of Gmail were Masons, putting in a little inside joke...

It is amazingly similar.

I also end up thinking "two: put your junk in the envelope"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It's time for me to pony up another $312 for my annual dues.

But the sting to my wallet will be lessened by the fact that I have found a good friend who has been interested in masonry and is going to come to our next table lodge! He's going to love it! :getin:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

And the cop is more likely to be a Mason than the guy running away.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Durette posted:

I came from a place where there is a deep distrust bordering on violent mob of all things masonic.

Where is this place? It sounds scary.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'd love to visit a GODF lodge but yeah, the rules are pretty strict on that one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Overstock.com usually has a few. Last time I looked there was a better selection so I guess it varies but the prices are always low.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Tuxedos/Black,Tuxedos,/color,style,/20433/subcat.html?sort=Top+Sellers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Congratulations, Brother!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Flying Fortress posted:

Haven't really run into this up here in Ontario Canada. Sounds pretty lovely though.

I haven't heard it in NY, and I wouldn't have considered becoming a Mason if that was the prevailing attitude. We're lucky here to have an incredibly diverse group.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Emron posted:

My lodge had an interesting conversation around this the other day--what if someone responds that they worship Satan in a peaceful manner? It's still a higher power and whatnot, and they're clearly not atheist, so...how would we handle that? We couldn't agree.

Ideally it wouldn't be an issue IMO. It's not quite the same thing, but my lodge keeps a copy of The Book of the Law in case a brother chooses it as their sacred volume during degrees.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

7thBatallion posted:

(sorry, on app. Can't see sizes.)

Use [timg] whenever posting from Awful, otherwise phone pics always end up huge.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Massasoit posted:

To recap: do the Masons get out there and help folks out, and how much would I expect to pay in dues?

It really depends on the lodge, so it's best to visit a few to get an idea of the culture. My lodge is very active with charities and volunteering.

Our dues are $300 or so a year, which is more than I'd like and also probably more than average. Dues vary a lot from lodge to lodge so that's also worth asking about and factoring in.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

7thBatallion posted:

Right. I'll see if I can dig mine up. Who knows where it is.

Edit: Hell yeah, found the Bolo and my Ranch hat. If only I owned a pair of poo poo kickers.

I'm imagining you showing up in full cowpoke gear but it turns out the guy is actually a techno fan that looks like he stepped out of Sprockets, and Maksimus is all :troll:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I'm now an earned apprentice.

I'm pretty sure you're an Entered Apprentice, and congratulations!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In addition to conducting routine lodge business we usually have a few lectures, often by guests from other lodges. My favorites are the ones about the esoteric side of freemasonry, but there's some great historical lectures too. There's always some fun poo poo talking at each other's expense thrown in here and there, but no sports talk that I can recall. There's a good amount of laughs to be had but the meetings are fairly formal I suppose.

We have a table lodge after every meeting, so that's where more of the casual stuff goes down.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Paramemetic posted:

But seriously nobody is killing anyone over this stuff anymore. In the past it might have happened, but I'm pretty sure that particular event was mostly Anti-Masonic hype.

Well there was that time in 2004 too, but that was more of a tragic and really really stupid mistake: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/15/nyregion/masonic-lodge-is-suspended-after-shooting.html

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

I want to avoid the temptation to simply pass through the degrees as fast as I can and really absorb each degree however.

I really think that's the way to go. You've got the rest of your life to be master mason, you might as well spend a while in the first two degrees rather than just learn about them later.

My lodge opens on the third and lowers to the first, so everyone can participate in the bulk of the meeting. There might be more incentive to rush if a lodge doesn't do that, but I don't know what the norm is in that regard.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I always had the suspicion that people did that to try to get out of tickets. I'm a city-living pedestrian though, so no idea if that's true.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Our Tiler would crumble into dust if he had to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

AcidRonin posted:

So sort of simaller to the above poster, my father died when I was 16 and my grandfater a few years later. They were bith masons and I have always been interested in joining for a bunch of reasons but one of the big ones would be since it stretches back as far as abybody can remember on my dads side of the family and I think it would be a great way to connect to a family I dont know so well due to death/them all living in scottland except for my dad who was born in PA. I live in the DC area now but I dont PERSONALLY know any masons. How would I go about talking with some to see if its really for me?

I found my lodge from a comment on a boingboing post. You could always see which lodges in your area have websites/email.