Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

qraham posted:

But if I'm being completely honest, the thing that is most intriguing is the idea that being a mason might help my career in some way; I've heard stories of people getting jobs or promotions because they did the right handshake with the right person. Can you guys speak to this at all?

Career advancement and personal gain are unlikely if they are the reason you join. However I've seen great things done for fellow brothers and handshake agreements for commercial real estate go down because of brotherhood.

What I mean by that is the men that join lodge to benefit themselves financially rarely do. They lose interest quickly and leave because they thought they joined a networking group. It's not what we do. We are here to make us and our brothers better men. Business networking happens, just like it would in any social club but it is not what we are here for and those that believe we are don't often stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
That's a great cause to slip a few bucks to. Thanks for the heads up!

Last night I was fortunate enough to prove up on my FC with the two Grand Wardens in attendance. It was a really neat experience to meet the two next leaders of my states Grand Lodge and found them to be very friendly, accessible gentleman. I guess it just really hit home what a brotherhood this is.

That said I would love to make some visits to other WaGoons lodges after I'm raised. Maybe hit me up with a PM and we can figure out a day?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
What is it you feel should be done about a private club that excludes people? There isn't a "charter" so to speak, we cannot change the rules for free born men or women being disallowed. As far as segregation and the disabled that is not the case in my lodge. We have our brother chaplain that has fairly severe muscular dystrophy and is well loved. Segregation was/is not based on a rule, but on the ability of just one brother voting no on a petition for membership. If you have even one rascist in the lodge it is possible for them to keep anyone out.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
We had a charity budget of $16000 this year and all will be spent. We also started a BBQ group that will essentially cater charity auctions and events for local groups. They have raised quite a lot of money for various groups. We also contribute to a Masonic scholarship fund. This is in addition to the many small acts and gifts we give during the course of a year.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
We typically open on the first and I think it adds a lot for new masons. I don't know how interested I would have been if I got made a Mason and then had to sit outside for the next 8 months while I tried to advance to MM. I have not traveled yet even after making MM but I know there is a strong western Washington Goon Mason contingent that I will indeed try to visit this year.

As for 1 day classes, I think they are absurd and take the meaning out of the degrees. I wouldn't have the respect or knowledge I do now if I was rushed through. I'm also bad enough at remembering this poo poo after studying it for a year that I can't imagine trying to pass a Tyler after only one day of practice

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Super late notice to any and all Seattle Masons or traveling brethren, but my lodge will be hosting a Masonic Memorial for a Past Grand Master this Saturday the 23rd. The GL is putting the event on, we are simply hosts but it sounds like there is be a PGM memorial team put together that has a presentation to do. I have not personally been to a Masonic Funeral or Memorial so I am quite intrigued, I figured I would extend the invitation as I know it's not everyday we put to rest a PGM. Any interested please PM me and I'll forward details to you.

My apologies for the late notice, but we only approved it last night at the stated.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Jeek posted:

A really stupid question that has probably been answered before: would a transexual man be considered a "man" according to the Freemason's entry requirement?
At only 27 I'm one of the youngest masons in my lodge. If I were presented with a transexual/transgender candidate I would vote to protect the lodge and black ball them. It isn't that I worry about them as potential masons, but that Grand Lodge isn't nearly as progressive and can put some very serious sanctions on the lodge if they found out.

I try to respect all as equals, but that particular issue is too big of a grey area in masonry for me to be more progressive about.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Sub Rosa posted:

The reason in fact I have consulted my brethren on the question is that I don't feel my obligation requires me to at all. I'm obligated not to make a woman a mason, but nothing about making a mason a woman.

Actually, interestingly to me, plenty of people have suggested I check out co-masonry, which is something I did feel my obligation doesn't allow. It has made me think long and hard about recognition, and what makes a Mason.

I am glad your brothers are standing by you. While it could be awkward for some I am glad that you are accepted and I appreciate the work you do for masonry. While I stand by my decision to not accept a trans candidate I would like to think I would support a brother in your situation.

Thank you for your unique perspective on this topic.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Bolo tie. He's a big cowboy and a nice guy. I got to sit down with him after a visit for a bit. Very interesting Masonic history from him. Kinda fun to get into lifetime memberships with him as he has a history in New York as well.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

Then I'll take off the cowboy layer and reveal my Tron costume underneath.

That would be the 2nd raddest Grand Master after Washington these United States have ever seen

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Regarding the blind I would think you would simply revert to our old way of teaching by ear. It wasn't so long ago that one had to memorize the rituals purely from listening. As to the deaf I don't know how, but I know my lodge would at least try to find a way.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
You will only get out of your lodge what you put into it. I am one of the newer and youngest brothers in my lodge. I wanted to do more social stuff so I got put in charge of the brand new social committee they made for me. If you want to do more then do more, it really is that easy.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, I'm a third year EA. A crazy loving life, illness, concussions, and God knows what else keeps getting in the way.

Are you a Seattle guy or elsewhere? Wouldn't mind doing some visits and meeting a goon brother wouldn't be all bad(I hope)

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
You and Wafflehound are members there right? I think you meet the same night we do, 3rd Thursday. Ballard, Occidental #72 F&AM

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
It's an easy stance for me. If you were to expel one of my brothers for being gay you would not be a regular mason. His sexual preference has nothing to do with his ability to be a fabulous(deal with it) mason. I would fight to the death for him after finding him worthy. If Georgia or Tennessee want to ban such a brother I have no problem recommending them be recognized as a clandestine lodge.

I understand that harmony brings us together, but we have a duty to tell a brother when they are wrong, and enforce the rules when and if we must.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Serious question, can you be brought up on masonic charges in a different state than one you belong to? I can't imagine the GL of WA sending out a gay brother to TN with travel papers just to have him brought up on charges there.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
My take remains if you do not recognize a brother of mine in your jurisdiction you are not a regular lodge and I don't recognize irregular lodges.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Kilo147 posted:

The Grand Lodge of Washington is aware of the events regarding the Grand Lodges of Georgia and Tennessee, and is extremely concerned. They will be issuing an emergency statement in 8 days regarding the matter at hand.

Sayeth the District 2 Deputy of the Grand Lodge of Washington, F&AM.

I have yet to see this emegency statement, and having met with some higher ups last night didn't get the impression that the Grand Lodge had a plan to do so in the near future, essentially being told to bring it up in lodge if it bothered me.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

What's the most "out there" conspiracy theory you've heard about Freemasonry?

The crazy guys in this thread saying we don't run the world

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
That is beautiful, please post more

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
GL of WA finally had something to say, I am not privy to say much more than the official release though I understand there is a method to the madness of wait and see. The GL's facebook post as below:

A Message from Our Grand Master, Most Worshipful Donald G Munks:

One of the many lessons we learn in Freemasonry is that it is the internal, not the external qualifications that should recommend a man to be made a Mason. As to additional qualifications, those are clearly defined in the Washington Masonic Code, Section 18.02 ~

Every petitioner in order to be eligible for the degrees of Masonry must:

A. Be at least eighteen years of age,

B. Have the senses of a man, especially those of Hearing, Seeing and Feeling,

C. Be a believer in a Supreme Being,

D. Be capable of Reading and Writing; and

E. Possess no disability in his body that would render him incapable of conforming reasonably what the Degrees respectively require of him.

The recent actions by the Grand Lodge of Georgia and the Grand Lodge of Tennessee to exclude men due to sexual orientation and premarital cohabitation have cast an unwanted pall upon our beloved Craft, and are contrary to the wisdom of those who long ago forbade the interference of religion and politics from the administration of our Fraternity. It is well to remember that “a Freemason’s Lodge is the temple of peace, harmony, and brotherly love; nothing is allowed to enter which has the remotest tendency to disturb the quietude of its pursuits.” The actions of these Grand Lodges have disrupted that quietude.

While I as your Grand Master acknowledge the Masonic sovereignty of Georgia and Tennessee to govern their own Jurisdictions, I disagree wholeheartedly with their actions as they are divisive in nature and codify an intolerance that is contrary to our Masonic principles. The Jurisdiction of Washington believes that Freemasonry is indeed the true import of the three great social treasures – Fraternity, Liberty, and Equality. Furthermore, the Jurisdiction of Washington welcomes & values the talents & capabilities of all men who meet our qualifications for membership. The design of Freemasonry is to UNITE men of every sect, country, and opinion; and to conciliate true friendship among those who would otherwise remain perpetually at a distance.

We are stronger for that diversity.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

I checked with Paramemetic first and they said this was okay to ask, so;

Not to be offensive, but how often do these various lodges become embroiled with criminal enterprises or scandals like drugs or child abuse? The Catholic Church is rocked again and again continuously by their priests inability to not abuse children and they're not even really that secretive compared to Free Masons.

No offense taken. I think at first look you need to realize the largest difference between large organizations i.e. the catholic church and Free Masons is that we are not centrally controlled. There is no grand leader. Each jurisdiction is unto itself. Individual Lodges don't answer to any other lodge but their Grand Lodge, and these are wholly sovereign entities. They don't answer to other GL's.

With that said there are certainly criminal Free Masons. It happens in any group, there are bound to be bad apples. My GL has expelled a number of brothers lately on a wide swathe of charges ranging from embezzlement to child molestation. I think the difference for us is there is no incentive to protect wrong doers. The most common victim in a Masonic trial is the Lodge that brother belonged to.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Elected WM for the first time. Installation in a couple weeks and a 3rd degree next week. I swear Masons in this jurisdiction just loving hate themselves come holiday season

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Being installed as WM tonight. We are financially probably the most secure lodge in our state but members wise we have shrank enough that it's been a struggle to pull in enough people to pull off degrees or this installation. I'm hoping to make meetings more interesting/educational this year. It's been a huge struggle for us and even myself find it hard to recommend the craft to new people when what they'll do is waste hours of their time for nothing in a boring meeting.

Any recommendations for masonic educational material?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Our Grand Lodge(WA State) charges $28 per year dues, what do other jurisdictions charge?

Follow up to that is what are you expectations from your grand line. Do you want them to travel and be possible influencers in the Grand Master lineups or should they stay at home and keep costs as low as possible?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Depends on the lodge in NC, but $28 is wildly low.

My home lodge is $130 a year, and another lodge I was a charter member of was $365 a year.

My lodge dues are $50 a year but 99.9% of members are life members.

Do you know what the Grand Lodge assessment part of those dues are?

What is your opinion of your Grand Line and their duties?

I just got back from our annual communication so I'm curious how other jurisdictions work/think.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Looks like I'm sitting in the East for a second straight year and there's a little drama brewing over a brother from Mexico who's grand jurisdiction is all hosed up.

Salmon feed first sunday in October for those in the Seattle area drop me a PM.

How's your september?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Fair_Winds posted:

I've been wondering if becoming a mason would be a good fit for me. I grew up in a family that was never anti-religion, but never attended church unless someone died. , but I've never known what holy text we followed. I more importantly, never had a religion placed upon me by my parents. they believe I have the right to decide for myself a religion. I still haven't "chosen" so to say. My Question is Would the lack of being a member of a religion but not lacking in faith and belief in a higher power be a disqualifying factor? Should I figure out what religion best aligns with me since I am seeking to join one before I petition?

You're good to go. "We all functionally believe in a god" is all that should be required in a USA based Masonic Lodge

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Emron posted:

Am I insane for considering writing to the grand lodges of guys who I see putting up stuff like this on social

That's gross. Write away, I don't think you're crazy. I just hope their GL actually cares about that stuff.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

SimonChris posted:

The Danish Order of Freemasons just shut down all masonic activity in the country until further notice, due to coronavirus concerns. Not just lodge meetings but also administrative meetings, picnics, seminars, etc. I believe the other Scandinavian jurisdictions are following suit.

Are similar things happening in other areas, or are you just using hand sanitizer and taking basic precautions?

Just emails warning about large groups and washing your hands. We have a GL led leadership retreat in a week and have not heard word on cancelling yet. This is in WA state.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
WA GL just shut down all masonic events for March.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
In our jurisdiction we are holding meetings over zoom that cover business only, no esoteric work.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm dealing with my 3rd consecutive term as WM and feel some serious burnout. The lodge is likely in the best financial position of any in our state but we can't get new members and fighting the old guard has just worn me the gently caress down. We are struggling to fill seats much less the chairs and anytime we talk about spending money it's always the same old fight. Can I just kill the old fuckers? Ya'll won't tell on me right? Obviously joking but gently caress I'm just tired of this poo poo. Tell me your war stories

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

knuthgrush posted:

I find that these sorts of issues come up in most any lodge (at least around here). Folks who've been there forever don't raise new master masons. Realize they're old and have trouble keeping the lodge going. Initiate some uppity youngerns with ideas and opinions. Everybody gets mad, some forget their obligations. People leave for a while and it just kind of re-coalesces or they end up merging with another lodge.

Consider also if the lodge is in a good financial position, that may be due to the foresight of your elder brethren. If they've worked hard to establish a nest egg for the lodge, they're not going to be happy to see it disappear.

As for how to attract new members and fill seats... that's a conundrum as old as time itself. Our fraternity just doesn't have the same draw it once did what with new fangled internet things, gender struggles, and maybe more openly atheist folks about? Yes I know a couple pages in we asked about not bringing up the women/atheists issue but it's just part of things. Sometimes race is sadly an issue, too.

I appreciate the feedback. It just gets exhausting to keep working against folks rather than with.

I'm hoping that with in person meetings returning(late this year fingers crossed) we see some new blood looking for community and togetherness after a year of isolation.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Our Lodge is at a crossroads where the young guys are finally doing the work and ready to make new masons and the old sideliners of course want to bitch about every little change ever. Neither side listens to the other.

At our last stated our WM was out of town so I subbed in and ran the meeting. Old codger didn't like that I followed my own agenda. Stormed out of a meeting after I gavelled him down because he interrupted me multiple times to cut his agenda in front of mine. Former DDGM.

I just wish to christ our members would follow the teachings we talk about and practice. It's getting real old that nobody can communicate anymore. Thanks for hearing me bitch about lodge poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I appreciate the words of encouragement. I think I get frustrated because brothers are too busy forming counter arguments and defending positions before they've listened to a complaint. I understand why, and the old guard is very much to blame, however if we just perpetuate what they taught us we will continue to run off new brothers faster than we can make them.

One of the most important reasons for Fraternity I thought was we could talk more frankly among ourselves and even be vulnerable with each other than with a mixed sex club.(toxic masculinity alive and well). My favorite moments are when I can strongly disagree with a brother but still meet on the level and hash our differences out in the social hall. We are to avoid piques and quarrels but it seems the only reason we have meetings anymore is to entertain them. I don't know if it's just American culture leaking in past the West Gate or what, but civility is becoming the exception not the rule it feels like. I know my lodge is not unique in this.

I'll end on a positive note by saying the quality of our degree work and the quality of candidates we've seen has us buzzing. I am wary of failing them with the same BS I fought for 12 years.