Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

The lodge is tiled accordingly!

Junior Deacon, at or near the right of the Snr Warden.

Best job in the officer ranks as far as I'm concerned, you can go anywhere without having to salute because you carry a long stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Innerguard posted:

Oh aye, another wee difference between the US and Scotland - we don't have hats for the Master or Wardens. Personally, I like the little flair of style it adds, but no way it would gain traction over here.

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

Keep going Innerguard, I'm in Sydney and my mother lodge was started by Scots, we don't use the Scotland ritual, but I also spend a lot of time in Dunblane Australis, a lodge here in Sydney that follows the proper rituals. They have whisky tasting nights after every meeting which is why I turn up.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Paramemetic posted:

ATTN: KYOON_

We decided to forestall the end of the world for a little while, some of the brethren still have children in school and Reptilian hatchlings in the Yeerk Pools and they decided they want to see those children grow up / hatch before we immanentize the Eschaton. We're still waiting to firm up a new date but it probably won't be before 2027 as at least one 33rd Degree Mason's wife literally just spawned a brood last week (dumb timing, I know, right?).

Anyhow you can keep up to date on new plans from your usual sources.

Thank the Architect...I thought someone had screwed up the pick up scheduled and I was going to get left behind with the rest of the "food source" for the dark masters.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Kurtofan posted:

Do some atheists/agnostics sometimes feign belief to be accepted in a masonic order?

What happens if they're caught?

Guilty-ish as charged, sort-of-ish.

Born and raised a Catholic, then at 11 had a crisis of faith, and became an Atheist. Once I grew up, I realized that Atheists don't have the answers any more than religious people do, and I have a deep belief that there is an architect I just don't know anything about her. So I became by definition a Deist, though legally you never stop being a Catholic.

I was married in a Catholic church and both my kids were baptised into the Catholic religion, they are a good organization, great charities, educational institutions and for many years were one of the few bodies that championed human rights. Just don't leave your kids with them unattended and everything is ok.

So, before joining Masonry I was asked if I believed in a higher being, I truthfully said yes, and truthfully added, I am a Catholic. Technically I didn't lie, technically I didn't tell the whole truth either. That was nearly 10 years ago.

When joining the Scottish Rite, which is open to Christians only, I was asked whether I was a Christian. I said no, I am not a Christian, I am a Catholic. Which is the truth, I was then asked if I followed Christian principles, and I truthfully answered yes. Again I didn't lie.

Now, here is the thing. I am a committed Mason, I go to numerous meetings a month sometimes too many. I am there for my fellow Masons, and I strongly believe that I have their respect. My religious beliefs or lack of them, don't play a part in Masonry, and many of them know my true beliefs and they don't care.

Then again, I am the kind of Mason that has no problem with a wiccan joining, or a Satanist for that matter, as long as they are nice people. Though I would make fun of the Satanist for choosing to worship God's hired help, I just couldn't help myself.

edit: Freemasonry isn't a religion, so in my opinion your beliefs have little bearing in you becoming a good man and a good mason. Freemasonry is about the work you put into it, you will get out what you put in, and religion has nothing to do with that.

TemetNosceXVIcubus fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 25, 2012

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Kurtofan posted:

Thank you for your answers.

Do some people join a Masonic order for influence or to gain connections?
Does it really work?

In France(I know not official Freemasons) we have or have had several government Ministers who are Freemasons.

Edit:Another question, is there a rivalry between Traditional Masonic orders and Continental Masonic orders or is it just "we pretend these guys don't exist" on both sides?

Yes...a lot do join to gain connections, from my experience they stop showing up once they realize that we're not in Victorian England anymore. People usually nod at them and smile, and then excuse themselves as they need to freshen up their beer.

Yes a lot of people in high office are Freemasons.

"We pretend these guys don't exist" is pretty dead on.

Most of the time spent by a busy mason is juggling their calendar, figuring out which suit to wear, and which regalia to put in their case. If you have an office in lodge, a lot of the time is spent rehearsing your lines.

Most of us are really too busy to find out what they're doing over in another suburb, much less what's happening in a different country.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Thatim posted:

This might be abit of a personal question..

But at what age did you decide to join? And how did you found out about the Freemasons in the first place? How did your surrounding (friends, family) react to this?

I am curious about this because the Freemasons aren't really that well known where I come from (Holland), and I know nobody who is a brother. I feel abit hold back to visit a Lodge, as I feel I am abit too young (21) and thus might not be able to contribute much.

I was 41 when I joined, and I'd known about the Freemasons for a very long time, one of my uncles was one. I had one of my friends sponsor me, as he was the reason I joined, and one of my neighbours whom I'd known for about 30 years. Once I became a Freemasons, they started coming out of the woodwork, at my wedding, which was about 27 years ago, there were at least 6 freemasons in attendance, that I had no clue about. It wasn't until I was a freemason myself that they commented on their own status.

21, is just the right age, and so is 31, and 41, and even 51, 61 and 71. I've met a wide range of Masons all of different ages. It's never too early to join, and never too late.

You're not expected to contribute much, because a candidate doesn't know anything. An apprentice, the first step of being a Mason, only contributes by making the Lodge PERFECT. A lodge of only experienced Master Masons is not complete, their job is to teach, to instruct, to train others, without someone to train they are just a regular lodge. Master Masons need apprentices for the lodge to be complete, thus a 21 year old apprentice contributes a lot just by being there.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Effingham posted:

WTH? Catholics *are* Christian.

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and tells him he has some free time, so he will give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different religions. "There's the Muslims, that's the jewish section, Orthodox are over there there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians, Budhists are over there with the Hindus", and so forth. As they come to this huge wall that stretches as high as and far as the eye can see. Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, we need to be really quiet around here. On the other side of the wall we keep the Catholics, and they think they're the only ones in Heaven."

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Lovable Luciferian posted:

That is really cool.

Unrelated, remember how I posted that I visited some old brothers on Christmas eve? One of them (one I was very fond of) passed on just eight or nine hours after my visit. I'd like to think that the GAOTU wanted a brother to visit him before he traveled to the Grand Lodge in the Sky. :unsmith:

This should be the only explanation anyone needs regarding why we join Freemasonry. Because there are people like Lovable Luciferian there that will be your brother. You have my sincere respect brother.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
So was Santa good to everyone in this thread?

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

CopRock posted:

Fiat Lux, bitches !

Sick, Theoricus ignis bud!

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

A GM is just a man, goddamn the consequences , you and I both know that once the harmony of the institution, our strength is compromised, all of Masonry is at risk. What one state does forces others into a discussion that would otherwise never, and should never, happen

Young Padawan, your passion is appreciated and admired. I must however point out to you, the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRZRRlA4sw

A GM is just a man, but never forget that the GM is who we trust to make the right choices for us. And in our own jurisdictions the GM is voted by us, elected by us to lead us. The Masons of florida, duly voted, elected and installed that GM, and as such we must respect him, regardless of how much of an asshat he is. The GM in my own jurisdiction has made some of the same rulings, and I have saluted him stoically in open lodge, regardless of his narrow mindedness for he is the GM. And I have communicated my displeasure in open forum, and by correspondence to him directly, but in public I will respect his office for that is what I signed up for. We salute, and we respect the office.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

SafetyTrain posted:

Where do you think the Masons are most active in the world?
And do you have any theories as to why that is?

India would be my guess. They have a long history of freemasonry, and they have a rather large population of university educated men.

According to wikipedia: Freemasonry now exists in various forms all over the world, with a membership estimated at around six million, including approximately 150,000 under the jurisdictions of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and Grand Lodge of Ireland, over a quarter of a million under the jurisdiction of the United Grand Lodge of England,[1] and just under two million in the United States.

As you can see, no mention is made of India, which has a large number of lodges, with a very active membership. By wikipedia's numbers, USA wins.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Ari posted:

Long as we're talking about it - why isn't there a Grand Lodge of the United States? I remember reading something in a history book that they wanted to create one, but some events happened and the dice fell that now we have a Grand Lodge for each state (plus DC and I think one for each territory).

It would make things quite a lot easier with regard to internal politics, if a bit harder to manage.

Australia has 5 GLs, and we only have 7 states/territories. Here we can excuse it because of geography. Some lodges can be in the same masonic region and be 500 miles apart, so visiting for DGIWs and councillors becomes a nightmare.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

stik posted:

I just did my EA degree. It was a very interesting experience and I'm glad I finally did it. I am unfortunately going to have to either fly back up for FC and MM or do them back in TX. This job ended a couple months earlier than expected.

Congrats Brother.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

FreshFeesh posted:

I've just posted many of our 2013 installation photos to our Lodge's Facebook page. More than a month of stress and planning for everything to come together for two hours. Still though, a great time was had by all.

That's a pretty good photo, It's got the right balance of warm friendly smiles vs formal surroundings. Except for the brothers at the front, they look like serial killers...not that there is anything wrong with that.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Also, I'm curious how serious Masons take the brotherhood. For instance, suppose I'm running down the street looking back over my shoulder. A police siren sounds somewhere out of site. I happen to run past a Mason barbecue going on (go with me here) and give the distress gesture. Will I get some no-questions-asked help? Or would that not really fly? (Hey, you can never be too prepared!)

Distress Gesture? That's when you fire off a smoke grenade, right? That way the light from your masonic ring creates a set of square and compasses in the clouds?

Masons are asked when in times of trouble who do you trust? And the answer is, a really good firm of Jewish lawyers we keep on retainer. Hence the Jew Robes the other poster mentioned.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Finally, here's a short essay by a self-declared regular female Mason. I found it online in a recap on arguments for/against women in Masonry; unfortunately I can't find the original source.

I actually agree with her essay. Not all Masons are as unwilling as others to fraternize with those that are not deemed "regular". Yet part of our obligation, our word if you will, is given that we will follow the rules and regulations set out by our Grand Lodge, we will show loyalty and support. And as many in this thread have explained better than me, we cannot change some things.

One thing that I will say though, is that some of us are Masons by title and certificate, we have all the degrees and trappings of the order. Yet not all of us are Masons by actions.

There are those that are unable to achieve the Masonic trappings that I speak of, the tittles, the offices, yet by their actions they are better Masons than I will ever be.

Here in the state of NSW in Australia, to be passed to become a Fellowcraft Freemason, you're given a set of questions. One the answers puts everything in context for me, I don't know whether it will mean anything to you, but here it is anyway.

Q: Where were you first made a Mason?
A: In my heart.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

sacrip posted:

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to shop for a tux.

Congratulations Brother.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
Fellow Masons, I would like to discuss grief/trauma counselling. How do your lodges / grand lodges handle the passing of a brother, and the impact it has on the lodge and those that work closely with them.

I'm asking because here in Sydney we have a basic Caring Officer system. Each lodge has a Caring Officer, that calls any older or ailing brethren and keeps in touch with them, finds out how they are and relays that information back to the lodge. I see a need to go a step further, for we don't seem to do much with the information. Yes, we visit masonic widows, we call the brethren and make sure they are well, but maybe we could do more.

I often see brethren that have lost a brother they spent decades with at lodge, they go to their funerals, and you can see them act strong and stoic. Yet, you know they are hurting inside, and I have no clue on how to help them deal with that grief.

I would like to know what things are in place in your areas. What you think your lodges are doing well, and any ideas you have on how we could do better.

TemetNosceXVIcubus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2013

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

The WM is doing his job, which is keeping his young charge active in Freemasonry. Take a nap in the car on the way, and enjoy the ride. He's extended the hand of friendship...don't leave a brother hanging.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Brethren, Australian Mason checking in.

I've loved reading this thread, and I'm quite happy to answer any questions about the way we do things in the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (UGLV).

One of the things I've seen which piqued my interest in the Nth American lodges is the adornment of hats on senior lodge members.

We don't follow suit in our neck of the woods.

For any interested, there is to be a television program starting on channel 31 (Melbourne) from the 3rd of March about the craft. It will run for 6 months and should be available to see for others around the world. (I know this as I'll be in it, you see) ... When I know the name of it, I'll repost as it's yet unnamed.

Heading to Vegas during April, so if anyone knows of a lodge to visit I'd be delighted to hear from you.

I'm guessing this is the one you mean. Is it all going to be uploaded to youtube?
We get channel 31 here in Sydney, but not sure if it shows everything from victoria, or just NSW stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TrGHHoXfqeI

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
Greetings and congratulations new Brethren.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
I sometimes think we all need a chart to work out who is regular and who isn't, and who we're allowed to talk to.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

7thBatallion posted:

Well, heading to a funeral this Saturday. Helped with the practice, stood in as the bible bearer, WM forgot I was an EA and had me sign as a MM. The practice was fun, dreading the actual funeral. I lack black suits, and the armbands will be last minute. So we'll see how this all turns out.

Don't worry too much about the suit not being dark enough, as long as it's neat and tidy, you'll be fine. Everyone will be happy to have you along, it's great to see some of the youngins turn up at this last sad office to departed merit.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Paramemetic posted:

Just to speak to this on a Masonic level (heh), the issue with Prince Hall Lodges has always been one of charter and jurisdiction.

Dear Paramemetic, that was pretty educational. I appreciate the work you put in that post, I don't have anything to add, just wanted to thank you for it.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

mrbill posted:

Think about the very first part of the EA ceremony.

Since that part is there solely to verify the sex of a person, then you could easily remove it once being a male is no longer a requirement to enter the craft.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
For those that haven't been through the ritual, because you're either a woman or a non-mason. It can be weird reading this stuff, I think you should picture it like a scene from a movie. Like one of those WWII movies where everyone has volunteered to go and fight the Hun, and they're getting their medical done.

So everyone is lined up totally naked with their id in their hands and a guy in a white lab coat tells them to turn their head and cough. See they don't show you that at the same time as the guy is turning his head and coughing, the medical dude is cupping the guy's family jewels and checking for defects and injuries, and listens to their chest with a stethoscope.

In the initiation rite we do something similar, except because we're supposed to be builders, we don't use a stethoscope, we use a 24 inch gauge.

I'm having a prostate exam today, turning 50 this year, and I thought that maybe we should do that as part of the initiation. We have a few doctors in the Lodge, so getting a medical done at the same time would be a good thing.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

Silly outfits ITT

I see your Silly outfit, and reply with my silly outfit. I wore it for the first time last Thursday.
This is what a KT dresses like in The Great Priory of New South Wales and ACT.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Is that you in the picture?

Yes Lovable, that is me in all my weathered glory.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

In other news, I've been sort of put in charge of Masonic education at my York Rite meeting last night :stare:

Congrats.....

By the way, I see the little dots thingy everywhere and after a decade of masonry, I've still yet to figure out what they actually mean...

.'. they remind me of the galaga ship. .'.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
We're back to the why no atheists in freemasonry part of the thread. If I remember correctly the previous part was why can't women join freemasonry. So, I'm guessing that we're due for the "what happens if a freemason joins then has a sex change" part of the thread.

How come no one ever asks why Americans get to wear hats in blue lodge, and nobody else does? I find that to be a divisive subject.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Carbolic posted:

That all sounds like a great reason why someone couldn't be a slave when they joined, but doesn't explain why they couldn't have been born a slave. 18th and 19th century racial attitudes being what they were, I'd be shocked if keeping out black people wasn't the true motive when the rule was first created.

A brief Web search suggests that the rule is interpreted by some, even today, to include all descendants of slaves as well. Thankfully that seems to be a fringe attitude.

The problem here is that you are obviously looking at it from an American perspective. Slavery has been rampant throughout the ages, before it became fashion to go and raid Africa for her people. You see the word slave and you immediately imagine an African American in chains. Well that wasn't the true picture back in the 14th century when freemasonry started.

Serfdom was slavery. 99% of the European population were serfs, and therefore slaves to the nobility. They needed permission from their masters to travel. Masons, the builders of cathedrals and castles were free, they had the ability to cross borders and move from country to country without restrictions. They were Freemen.

Even once the serf/noble systems was dismantled there were still slaves, the first slaves to arrive in America were Scots and Irish that had been sold into slavery.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/white_slavery.htm

So the rule against being a slave isn't meant to be a rule against blacks, though some use it as such, it as a rule against all men that cannot legally make their own decisions.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Colton posted:

I thought i would be "screened" or something more than just shooting the breeze with two old veterans. It was like talking to my great uncles.

You know how you get a vibe from people when they're assholes or criminals. Well those of us who have been injected with the lizard DNA have heightened senses and can sense when a candidate will make a good receptacle for a hatchling. Good luck in your petition.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
I found some reports on Women in freemasonry in the Telegraph

Some pretty cool pics, and there is a gallery with some really cool looking regalia on some older MILFs (In this case it's mason not mother)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10062626/Meet-the-first-mother-and-daughter-Freemasons.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/3675307/Women-and-Freemasonry.html

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Just for any Australian masons on here, Channel 31 - Melbourne is now halfway through it's first season of "Freemasons - The Inside Story". For those who aren't aware of it, Ch 31 is a sort of upmarket PBS. FTIS is a production exploring masonry from a the standpoint of the UGLV (Victoria). It airs on a monday night, but for those not from Melbourne, you could try the following link: http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/freemasons-victoria-the-inside-story. I have been interviewed for the program and one of my good mates, Ben, is one of the presenters.

If you have a chance (and the link works) you should check it out. If you have issues, feel free to PM me and I might be able to arrange to post the episodes on a USB or something...

Thanks Brother,

Channel 31 is pretty cool, and I don't know if they show the Melbourne show direct in Sydney, but I can get to the website okay.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Animal-Mother posted:

Was anybody serious about rebuilding Solomon's temple or was that a pie in the sky kind of idea?

I was told that I was supposed to build the Third Temple in my heart. So far I've only mostly built arterial blockages in my heart with meat pie and chips.

So yes, it is pie....

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Any other Melbourne goonmasons in here by chance?

I'm going in as Inner Guard on the second Monday in July.

It appears the Grand Master will be officiating the nights activity which is pretty drat cool.

Do it!

Take the implement of your office with you to dinner, and see if anyone comments on it.

Sorry brother, Sydney Mason here, and I miss your install by a week, as I'm heading to Melbourne for the Pax Melbourne nerd fest.

Are there any lodges tyling in Melbourne on the 18-21 July weekend?

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Glorified Scrivener posted:

In the case of a conflict between membership requirements and a legal mandate, not accepting petitions until a resolution to the conflict is the only valid course of action, in my opinion. I take my the portions of my obligation requiring me to be a just citizen as seriously as I take the ones concerning whom I can grant consent to be made a Mason.

It is a very good point, as I'd be between a rough ashlar and a perfect ashlar in that decision. A rock and a hard place for you non masons. My obligation requires me to follow the laws of the land, yet as a worshipful master I was obligated to never allow someone not fit to be a mason to be initiated.

Truthfully, hand on my heart kind of truthful, I'd let female applicants join. Because just maybe, one of them would be a harder working, more supportive secretary than the rear end in a top hat I currently have in the job. Freaking notice papers are always going out late and nothing gets done because of him. If you don't want to do the job, don't take the job you prick. Sorry guys, I really hate my secretary at the moment.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm getting a kind of 'only females should be secretaries' kinda vibe from that, but maybe it's just because of the tone of the whole topic at the moment.

I'd cast my vote in the school of no applicants until it's figured out, but I also do agree that there are separate avenues for men and women alike when it comes to social clubs or frat/sorr gatherings.

It's hard for non masons to understand what the job of the Secretary entitles. If you think Mad Men style, then they're there to take notes and look pretty.

In reality, the Secretary is the most important role in the Lodge. The Worshipful Master may lead the lodge, but the secretary is the one that organizes everything. All petitions, all formal work, all communications from the lodge to the outside work, are handled by the secretary. The WM may look good, and make decisions, but the secretary actually does the bits to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

QPZIL posted:

Personally, I think the Secretary of the lodge is just a glorified scrivener.

Thus The Scribe Ezra.