Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
what the hell just happened in GL-CA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Innerguard posted:

For those of us who aren't in tune with that neck of the world, can you throw up the statement link please, if possible?

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2016/03/gl-of-california-breaks-with-georgia.html
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2016/03/gl-of-dc-suspends-relations-with-ga-and.html

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Keetron posted:

It is nicely summarized here:

I hope Georgia and Tennesee see the light before they are kicked out by the UGLE and there will be a full schizm.

I truly hope this is not the start of a 'conservative' vs 'liberal' fight among various grand lodges. I can easily see places like Alabama, Mississippi and other grand lodges banding together.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

Aren't many of those the same lodges that don't (or at least didn't for a very long time) recognize Prince Hall?

I'd rather we not have a schism, of course, but candidly speaking, if they want to break off and be bigoted, good riddance. The Fraternity is better moving away from this nonsense, and while it's preferable that Brethren in those areas with less common decency should stand up and fight their own Grand Lodges, in the end Freemasonry as a whole has to excise this cancer somehow.

I am just concerned that other states, like Utah, Texas, Indiana would also break away. Fragmentation not along regional but political lines.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber posted:

I truly hope this is not the start of a 'conservative' vs 'liberal' fight among various grand lodges. I can easily see places like Alabama, Mississippi and other grand lodges banding together.

Well, I may be wrong! Mississippi voted down a anti-gay/trans proposal yesterday.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well got some good news. My petition was balloted and and approved! Now I just need to wait until September or October for me to get my EA.

Been a two year process to get to this point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Keetron posted:

Indeed, what is your location?

Long Island.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well, had a bit of an expierience the other night.

Went to lodge to hang out with the soon to be brothers and enjoy dinner. Several of the brothers are of an older generation, and they soon launched into a tirade about Obama, Hillary and the democrats in general, topping off that Trump was right to ban all muslims from the country. While I am not liberal by any means I found their statements to be offensive. I soon begged off from sitting at that table so i could mingle.

Then another soon to be brother brought in a friend he wanted to introduce to the lodge, who happened to be black. The table of the conservative brothers hardly gave the other guest the time of day. Weak handshakes and a halfhearted 'welcome'. The guest stayed for a while, then departed. I don't think he will be seen again.

After dinner they went up for lodge, and I stayed downstairs by myself. After a while one of the brothers came down with a look of disgust on his face, and he launched into a rantabout how the ritual was sloppy, the WM didn't know what he was doing, and he was sick to death of Brother X who has to put his word in on everything, usually on how 'back in my day, the lodge did it this way and this is how it should be'. Brother X it should be noted was one of the members of the conservative defense league and probably is in his late 70s.

All in all it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. There are a number of men there who I really do like and appreciate, and see socially. I guess I am going to have to smile politely and stay silent if they try to get me into political talk.

I know there is not supposed to be politics in lodge, but i was told 'dinner is not lodge'.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
by the way, why is it called 'blue' lodge?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Woot! The day is here! Tonight I become an entered apprentice!

I'm jealous. I gotta wait until october :(

Congratulations however!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SimonChris posted:

http://www.msana.com/msastats.asp

North American membership statistics for 2015 are out. Unfortunately, the decline in membership does not seem to be reversing, except in a couple of individual states.

I did the math and you guys lost about 4 percent from 2014. 2nd worst year, 1st worst being 2013.

FWIW and the lodges I have visted it looks like its the older generation dying off. The lodge I am joining (september or october, I can't wait) is half old guys and half young guys. I went fishing the other week with a guy from the lodge, and he told me that the NY grand lodge has specifically issued a directive saying that if some of the senior members start bellyaching to the new guys the officers are supposed to intercede and get the young guys away from that conversation.

he also said lodge meetings can be painful when the old guard starts going on with 'well we did it this way when i was new and why should we change now'.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Whoop! I have my initiation date! on the 28th I get my first degree!

I heard that they are doing a practice sunday morning at 10 AM for this. Is it appropriate to get a gift for the officers or the lodge? Maybe a bottle of booze or something?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

patentmagus posted:

I've never seen a booze bottle escape unscathed from a lodge gathering.

Congrats ahead of time and you probably shouldn't attend the practice. Check first if you plan to.

No, the practice is for them, not me. I am just thinking that since they are doing this extra work for me, i should do something in return. Like getting the lodge a bottle of scotch or gin (or both)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

If you're in the States, don't be offended if they defer it until later at someone's home. A lot of US lodges are dry for no good reason.

mine isnt. :D

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Our Grand Lodge either passed or is about to vote on (I can't remember) an amendment saying that non-Masonic functions taking place at temple buildings CAN have alcohol, but actual Lodge functions still CAN'T have alcohol.

Ridiculous.

So form a non masonic affiliated social club that rents space from your lodge for the cost of 1 dollar per member per night that the club is open. Said club will be open to the general public, but no one says it has to be advertised to the general public. Then said club is only open on nights that are coinicdentally the nights of a stated meeting.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

patentmagus posted:

Yeah, fair enough. It's a little embarrassing to find myself on the dry side of the discussion, but I've never seen a lodge suffer for being dry. That said, if there are a few lodges within driving range then having some dry and others not seems OK, but it's probably better to leave that to the shrine. At least things are consistent and everyone knows what to expect.

Why, are shriners known to bend an elbow or two?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
In about 10 hours I'll be starting my first degree. I'm so excited i actually woke up early today so i can get all the things I want to do done. I'm treating myself to a professional shave and haircut at a fancy barber called 'dapper Dan's'.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Lovable Luciferian posted:

You'll be very disappointed.

What, you mean i won't find out who shot Kennedy tonight during my 1st degree??????

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well Brethren, I have be initiated. What a interesting ritual that was. Such an info dump at the end too where i probably have retained about 20-30 percent. I feel bad about that since the brothers spent a lot of time preparing and memorizing.

I'm NOT looking forward to memorizing my proficiency. Oh lord that's a lot of stuff.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Don't worry, you're not the only guy who they memorized all that for, and you'd have to have a photographic memory to have retained all of it in one go. The beauty of the ritual is, in part, its abundance. You'll get something new out of it the more you see it.

As for your proficiency, it'll depend a lot on your district as to how often you can practice. Ours had code books, and with dedicated study, I committed mine to memory in about a month. Best way is to keep going to lodge, and catch a 1st degree practice or see someone else go through it.

Thats what i plan on doing. Monday another lodge is having a 1st degree and I'm going to try to see that. I'll bring my code book with me and follow along at the appropriate parts.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FreshFeesh posted:

That's what I tell my candidates :mmmhmm:

Why not? Not going to argue, just wondering why they don't want code books open in lodge.

And if i did not have a cypher book with the catechism how would i be able get to be proficient?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
whats the difference between AF & AM and F&AM?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
well, i'm feeling good. I have about 30 percent of my EA Q&A memorized, and I can read about 80% of the total book. The only thing I can't translate is the obligation and a few other passages.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dirigibleful posted:

I've got my initiation tomorrow night. Very nervous but excited!

Congratulations. I had mine a few weeks ago and I was very pleased. What state are you in?

A few tips if i may

Don't drink alcohol. you want to be sober for this. After you can drink if it pleases you.
Before it begins you will be taken somewhere to wait. Take that time if at all possible to calm your mind.
Don't feel bad if you miss a lot of stuff or you feel overwhelmed. Apparently everyone feels that way, and if you retain 20% of what happened you are doing good.
That being said, pay attention to the part where the WM will tell you to pay attention, as you will be expected to know this stuff before you get your 2nd degree.

Drink it up and enjoy it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Any brothers on Long Island? I'm getting my 2nd on the 25th.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
whoop whoop, tonight is the night. 2nd degree! Can't wait!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Wow. WOW. That 2nd degree was fantastic. I picked so much more up from that than my 1st degree, probably because i had some familiarity with things. The MC lecture was fantastic, and the brother who did it did a flawless job, no stumbles, no pauses, nothing. He clearly did his work and he knocked it out of the park.

I am very impressed. I can't wait to see another lodge do it, so i can pick up even more.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

What happened to the masons during previous great partisan battles like the civil war?

Interesting question. Googled and found this.

http://www.themasonictrowel.com/Articles/History/united_states_files/freemasonry_and_the_civil_war.htm

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CountFosco posted:

What does the G stand for?

Goon

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Had my first table lodge last night, that was a lot of fun. It was good to be with the brothers in a relaxed environment, but boy did the shots take a toll after a while.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Good news: I was installed as Jr. Master of Ceremonies tonight

Bad news: I learned that there is a good chance the GL of my state is going to yank my lodges charter next week because some IRS paperwork was not filled out by the WM.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Dick Nipples posted:

Jr. Master of Ceremonies? I'm not sure how that translates to much of American Freemasonry. Sounds like a deacon?
Its not much of anything. I am a proxy to the Sr. Deacon and prepare the candidates for initiation and march them around the room. No speaking parts.

quote:

Regarding charter pulling - that sucks. One of the long time brothers in my lodge is a special deputy to another lodge in our area and they're close to having their charter pulled because they refuse to file IRS paperwork and they keep doing sketchy poo poo with their temple board funds.
Yeah, especially that apparently if the charter is yanked I am in masonic limbo. I cannot demit nor affiliate with another lodge while my mother lodge is in GL's bad graces. I was just frigging raised in April and now this happens?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
nice rings from the german guy. The other rings are nice too but i have a problem dropping 2K for a ring.

Only issue with the german rings is payment, i refuse to use paypal since they are a bunch of jerks.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

So I give my first MC lecture tonight.

Here's hoping the weekends I've spent pacing in my room talking to myself translate into a good experience for the candidate.

How did it go?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It went well! It was in a small lodge, which was beneficial. It's such a good piece of ritual.

I'm working on the 1st degre why's and wherefors, and jesus christ some of this stuff is hard to memorize.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It can be really tricky, yeah, but the satisfaction of seeing it all come together is just so worth the hours I spent locked in a room talking to myself. Taking it in chunks is the most important thing.

One section is just so wordy i can't memorize it no matter how many times i stare at the drat thing. It just doesnt make sense.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wiley Scribner posted:

Are there any goon Masons in NYC? I'm gonna be moving down there next summer, so I'll be looking to join a new lodge. I'm taking my first degree on wednesday in a lodge upstate, and while I like a lot of the guys in the lodge, they're mostly old Republicans. Are there any lodges in the city that have more young people or a bit of an intellectual bent in its focus?

Join Garabaldi lodge! They do all their ritual in italian, and their 1st degree is something to behold.

I live on Long Island, so i dont know of any lodges in NYC, but there are I think 8 Masonic districts for Manhattan alone.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
nope, nothing this week. next stated communication is Jan 5th.

http://www.garibaldilodge.com/

But if you are around, make sure to come see the first degree. Its....different. Masons come from all around to see it. I went last year and saw brothers from VA who chartered a bus for the day to come see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Emron posted:

I’m presiding over a meeting tonight, but my school is playing in the national championship game an hour after the meeting starts, so I’m going to have to hustle the meeting along. The only problem is that I’ve moved, to another college town for a college that hates mine, so my membership is probably going to give me no end of poo poo about it.

Well, you can now ask your lodge what it is about Georgia and blowing leads in championship football games.