Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
As a side note to my quote above, the guy who told me that was at least infinity years old, could barely talk, but had been a Past Master, Past Grand High Priest, Past Thrice Illustrious Master, and Past Commander. He was wearing more bling than a New York rap star. It's amazing the wisdom he had, and just as amazing were his achievements. I mean that's... half a lifetime going through the chairs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Brother Sir Knight QPZIL, checking in :cool:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Dang, some hatin' brethren up in here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've started a blog to write down my Masonic ruminations - first post HERE. Might not be of interest to anybody, but hey who knows.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

imac1984 posted:

Most Excellent Master degree tonight. I'm really excited about this. One of the guys mentioned the other day in passing that there is at least 1 more (more than one?) where the candidate is hookwinked. I wasn't expecting anymore degrees to be like that, so now before each degree I'm wondering if this is the one where it's happening haha (it's no secret that some of the degrees are hookwinked, right? If it's any issue, I'll gladly take that part out). Anyway, just wanted to express my excitement about continuing to seek more light.

How far are you along? Or rather, what have you done/not done? I'm guessing 1/2/3/Mark/Past?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

imac1984 posted:

Exactly. They did Mark and PM together in January and are just now getting to MEM. Royal Arch is happening on April 9th and then they are doing the 2 Cryptic degrees together a couple weeks after that. I'm jealous of you getting to do the entire freaking YR in one day. I initially wasn't going to do the Commandery because of the whole Christian obligation thing. After following the last couple pages here unfold, I decided to go talk to our secretary, who is also the current EM of the Commandery I'd be joining, and he showed me the part of the obligation that concerned me. I think I'm ok with the way that it's worded in our jurisdiction (MD) so it looks I'll be taking the YR all the way to the top now!

I do wish I had taken it over a longer period of time. The way I explained it to my fiancee was like watching a 9-hour movie full of awe and beauty and steeped in history, but completely over your head and baffling - and then having like 300 years of literature written about it. Now that I've been bombarded with a full day and a half of degree work, I have the daunting task of wanting to read as much as I can about the degree work and the history and the symbolism and everything.

Luckily, the Chivalric orders are more historical than symbolic, though they're certainly full of symbolism. But, if I had just gone through the Mark/PM degrees, I could have a month or two to study and digest what I went through first. :)

Best of luck to you - the Royal Arch degree was pretty impressive and awesome, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Feel free to PM if you want to discuss or have any questions; I'm curious about your conversation with your secretary.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, I can't wait to piece together a KT uniform, and then... not wear it for a long time :smith:. Apparently since the North Carolina York Rite Bodies are all combined, the meetings are opened for 4 months as a Chapter, 4 months as a Council, and 4 months as a Commandery. So uh, I guess I'd get to wear it to 4 meetings, and 2 days of degree conferral. But GAH it's so cool looking. Eh, anyway.

I was reading through our Grand Lodge code and constitution, and found out that I'm not allowed to rock a baller apron at lodge meetings :(

quote:

REG. 89-2 MASONIC APRON.
The proper Masonic apron to be used in this Grand Jurisdiction shall be plain white without decorations of any kind, not larger than 15 x 17 inches made of lambskin, leather, or cloth. (This section amended, effective 1/1/ 2009)

That's kind of a bummer. I would love to pick up an 18th or 19th century apron and wear it to lodge.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Straithate posted:

That's probably for the best because they are insanely expensive. A new uniform will run over $1k, just the chapeau and sword alone would be over $700. Most Commanderies have an armory though, so if you are interested, many can provide you with a uniform from that. However, you generally do not wear a uniform unless you are an officer and honestly you don't want to... you will sweat your rear end off and be half dead by the end of any meeting. You have no idea how much pain the officers are in after putting on an OoT. :emo:

A Past Grand Commander told me to just look on eBay ;)

Chapeau - $50
Sword - $30
Belt - $20-50
Old Naval Officer Coat - $20
Patches from the Commandery

Boom, uniform. Granted, it may have some old dead guy's name engraved on the sword, but uh...

No, you're totally right though. I'm just an eager person by nature.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have a new post up and a domain for my blog.

http://threeknocks.net

I wrote a bit on the symbolism of the B&J pillars.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Paramemetic posted:

I'm looking for the "like" button but not finding it. This is pretty much the best Masonic lesson.

I'm watching a dumb thing about Secret Societies on NetFlix with David Icke and it's so amazing. Soooo amazing. And they aren't even talking about the Reptilian Lizardpeople yet.

Yeah, I saw a show on History the other day about some church-type-structure in NE America that PROVES BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that the Templars were in fact the first to discover America, built a lot of churches, and worshiped Venus :downs:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What do you guys know about the Independent Order of Odd Fellows? It seems to be similar to Masonry, but more focused on philanthropy.

The symbolism looks... very similar, although a bit more colorful.

Wait do you get to wear funny costumes like hats or fezzes or aprons or Mexican general caps at meetings? :( I don't know if it would be for me if not.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 18, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ari posted:

Switch the accented syllables on both. The B pillar is accented on the first syllable, and the J pillar is accented on the second syllable. The source for this is that I speak, read, and write Hebrew. :)

By the way, fixed. I had assumed that bo- was a prefix like mi- or l-.

תודה, אחי !

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
On May 15th, the Great Priory of England is going to vote to withdraw recognition ofg the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States. Ouch.

edit-- Also, just gonna throw this in there: the Grand Secretary of the Great Priory of Scotland's name is Pringle Johnstone.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lord1234 posted:

Why are they doing this?

I don't have an exact answer, but my guess is "wah, wah, the Americans are ripping off our ancient order of dress-up knights :qq: "

But really, I don't mean offence there - in my opinion, we're all brethren and should act as such. I don't think this rift should be happening at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh, uh, wow. Thanks for the actual explanation, I would have never known that stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can't quote or respond to your post until I see you dues card, sorry. :mason:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Keetron posted:

I think we are allowed to talk to anyone, just not go into masonic details.

Anyway, was raised yesterday and now I can call myself MM. That was something different entirely, I must say.

I know, I was just joking :)

Congratulations Brother, it's an experience you'll never forget. I know personally it took me a few days to process and really appreciate everything I went through.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Am I the only Mason in the history of the fraternity that finds degrees boring as hell at this point? :(

Nah, half the old folks in my lodge sleep through them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Had a couple Prince Hall Masons at our lodge last night, they looked so good it put us all to shame :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yesssss, I'm moving to Minnesota this year and the Commanderies there wear cap and mantle, not the full Class A uniform. The cap/mantle looks so much better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This thread is quiet lately. I went to my first York Rite stated meeting last night, and it was pretty neat. The first third of the year, the Chapter opens/closes it, the second third of the year the Council does it, and the last third the Commandery does it. Last night was the Council's first opening of the year, and it was a little shaky (every officer had their face in a monitor book the whole time). That kind of took away from it, but it was still enjoyable.

I spoke with our secretary afterward and he took me back in a closet room and showed me a Knight Templar uniform that was willed to the lodge by a recently deceased sir knight. I tried it on (jacket and pants) and it fit me like a glove, like it was tailored for me. :stare: The secretary gave me a Malta jewel and told me to take it all home with me. :stare:

Man, that's a good way to save some money. Now I just need a chapeau and belt.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ari posted:

You're right. I should give an update as well!

My group of 3 EAs are all just about ready to be passed - one hasn't had the chance yet to present his EA catechism due to work travelling, but he's ready to do it. The other two will be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the degree, because they were initiated almost a year ago.

Congrats! My schedule hasn't allowed me to coach anyone, but I am working with the District Deputy Grand Lecturer to become a Certified Lecturer. It's going to be a long arduous task, but I'm up for it.

Also, I just found out that I'm going to be recommended for the Allied Masonic Degrees, which is an invitation-only appendant body. Is there an off-chance that anyone here's been through it? They're tasked with preserving some of the old degrees that are no longer conferred in the US, such as Royal Ark Mariner, Secret Monitor, Grand Tilers of Solomon, etc. I love the esoteric aspect of Masonry, so more degrees is a-okay with me!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It has been a while since we've had this conversation.

But then again, a long time is not long enough.

Fraternity comes from the Latin word "frater" meaning brother.
Sorority comes from the Latin word "soror" meaning sister.

Are you arguing that all fraternities and sororities should be co-ed? Wait, what am I saying, we've gone down this rabbit hole before.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Effingham posted:

A couple of days ago, I was made a Knight Templar. We went through the whole York Rite degree work in a massive two-day class, with fifty attending candidates.

I have to say...

WOW.

I am seriously stoked, (and seriously tired out) from all that stuff. They were right about the early degrees (the Royal Arch Degrees) in that they really tie in -- and shoehorn in -- to the Blue Lodge Degree work. It seems like the fourth degree goes between Fellow Craft and Master Mason (for reasons that I don't really feel I should go into here) and the fifth degree, the Past Master, is really a post-Master degree.

But the Cryptic degrees... wow. SO much material.

And then the Chivalric ones. Dang.

I am totally gobsmacked by the suddenly inflated number of passwords and counter-passwords and grips and due guards and signs that I now have to cope with. AIIEE!

Congratulations, Brother Companion Sir Knight ;) Do you mind if I ask where you're from?

Yeah, having gone through a similar 2-day degree conferral (with 11 total, I can't imagine 50, good lord), I agree that it's a LOT to take in. I'm actually working on a book at the moment that may help you out.

Here in NC, candidates are given a small (~25 page) book after being initiated/passed/raised, entitled "The Entered Apprentice", "The Fellowcraft" and "The Master Mason" respectively, that are a sort of recap of what they just saw and some of the symbolism behind it. When I went through the York Rite degrees, I was really saddened that there was nothing of the sort afterwards - it was like, "here's like 9 hours of degree work, enjoy! Maybe you can see it again in 8 months!" So, I started a book that does a similar recap of the capitular/cryptic degrees. I'm not focusing on the chivalric orders in this, as they're a lot more historical than esoteric (though don't get me wrong, there's a lot of symbolism there).

Anyway, I'm about 2/3 done with it, and it'll be a short read (<50 pgs). I'm happy to send it to you when I'm done. My hope is that it can have a small run printed and they can be given to the candidates that go through in the fall. I think it'll be really helpful.

Effingham posted:

I must admit, though (and I've said it before), that the term "Sir Knight" weirds me out. As a form of address (e.g., "Sir Knight, how are you today?") it's perfectly fine, as "sir" is a term of address. But as a term of reference (e.g., "There are five Sir Knights here today" or "I want to be a Sir Knight") it's grammatically WRONG, as, again, "sir" is a term of address, not reference. The term of reference is, simply, "KNIGHT" (so why don't we just say "he's a Templar?") but, I guess, it's something I'll just have to live with as one of the many (many many many) Masonic idiosyncrasies. ;)

I felt the same way, but I've come to just think of "Sir Knight ___" as a Masonic thing, as a way to separate it from someone who is a real honest-to-goodness knighted "Sir". This way, I feel, keeps us on a separate level so that we're not encroaching on the hard work people have put in to their actual knighthoods.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I don't think it's "solely to verify the sex of a person." Somebody PM me what part we're talking about here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well I certainly wasn't given a prostate exam with a 24-inch Gauge.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's the same thing that happens every time - someone comes in here with an opinion under the guise of "just wanting to understand the other side," while making no effort to actually understand the other side. Nobody's mind is changed, and everyone just leaves in a huff.

Look, Carbolic, it comes down to this: we all, as Master Masons, took a very solemn obligation, under penalty of very gruesome (symbolic) corporal punishment. If we are to break that obligation, it literally defines us at that point as non-Masons. Part of that obligation states that we will not be at the raising (i.e. the coferring of the Master Mason degree) of a woman, among other things such as atheists. It can't be put any simpler than that. We take the same obligation that our brethren took in 1717 when the United Grand Lodge of England was founded, and not only is our history something we take very seriously, but our obligation is something that we take VERY seriously.

If someone wants to break the obligation and let women into the ritual, that's fine, but they are at that moment by definition no longer Masons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Grand Orient de Nantes, i.e. the Grand Orient de France.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Keetron posted:

Nope, it is het Groot Oosten der Nederlanden, The Grand Orient of the Netherlands. A regular lodge with a charter from the GLoE.

My mistake. Neem me niet kwalijk!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've been asked to be a Knight at the triangular table during the Order of the Temple and a Bannerman during the Order of Malta next time degrees are conferred. I'm pretty excited about that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's just a bunch of dudes who want to hang out with other dudes and make friends and (if you're into it) study some really old philosophical and moral teachings.

That's it, really. People try so hard to read more into it than there is.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Silly outfits ITT

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Finally finished my book, A Guide for the North Carolina Royal Arch and Select Master Mason. I'm pretty proud of those 53 pages - even though it's short, I've been working nonstop for like 2 weeks on it.

If there are any York Rite dudes that want to read it, shoot me a PM or an email at ianblake @ gmail. It's aimed at NC York Rite Masons, specifically in the Greensboro area, but it's very broad and can be enjoyed by all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Effingham posted:

For some reason, my e-mail client is refusing to send the e-mail. Is the address correct as ianblake (at) gmail ? (Or am I zoning, and "gmail" means something else?)

Ianblake [at] gmail [dot] com, don't forget that last part.

VVV no worries :) got your email and sent it to you.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 19, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

FreshFeesh posted:

Tomorrow evening I'll be taking my Mark Master degree, which I think is pretty neat. It's as far as I want to go (at this point) in York Rite, and it's been what feels like quite a few years since I was the candidate in a degree. From the sound of things there will be 6 other brothers going through it as well, members of 3 different Lodges.

I look forward to seeing what it entails.

Awesome, the Mark Master degree is really neat. Go into it with the mindset that it's sort of the "completion" of the Fellowcraft degree. There's a lot of cool symbolism and morality in it, I think it was my second favorite after the Royal Arch degree.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I spoke with the Recorder of a Commandery in Minneapolis where I'm looking to move, and apparently they wear the cap & mantle too. I'm glad, I like it better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

stubblyhead posted:

Sure, hit me up with a pm or email if you prefer, username at gmail.

Copy me on that, I'll add my two cents. ianblake at Gmail.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In Knight Templar news,
The Great Priory of England was all set to remove recognition of the Grand Encampment of the US last month, and even had a preliminary vote that passed. Today I read that they changed their minds. Neat.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Last week we initiated a guy. It's all solemn, he's there at the altar, and after all the solemnity, he's ordered to arise. The conductor tugs at his hand to get him to stand up, and he proceed to confusedly stand up and start climbing up onto the altar.

Queue about 5 guys going, "n-n-no no NO...!"

Ahhh, fun in the lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Wow! Surprised nothing in this photo is classified. Thanks for sharing... I feel like I'm seeing something I'm not supposed to see.

Nah, generally speaking, seeing inside the lodge/chapter/council/whatever is no problem. It's the modes of recognition (words, signs, grips, tokens, etc.) and words of the rituals/obligations that are secret.