Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This is a more general question; I'm not generally an early adopter and my current setup is an old (2005) 42" 480P "ED" Panasonic plasma, which for me does a fine job with standard DVD, and a reasonable job scaling down HD content. I'd like something bigger and better, but I'm kind of concerned with how well a 50" 1080p display will handle my collection of standard DVD. I'm not at all keen to re-buy everything on blu-ray. Is the scaling of 480p source material good on new 1080p displays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In looking at current HDTVs, I'm pretty horrified with how limited the inputs/outputs are compared to my 2005 Panasonic plasma. Granted the market is extremely price competitive, so maybe they don't feel as inclined to put a complete set of inputs/outputs on a $600 TV as they did on a $2000-3000 TV. But the following things are missing on most new models:

Should have at least two component inputs, many only have one
S-video input
Composite video input that is independent from either component input
Composite Video Out
Analog Audio Out

I know someone will tell me to stop using my array of lovely 1980s accessories with a 21st-century display, but I'd still like to be able to if the need arises.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

plester1 posted:

Do you use an A/V receiver at all? I could give a drat about any inputs on a TV, it only needs a single HDMI and everything hooks up through the receiver.

No, I don't have an A/V receiver. In my twisted mind, the TV should be an A/V receiver by definition. I do send the audio (analog) from my TV to a stereo system from 1983, but I don't think that's what you meant.

The thin/thickness of the panel is a good point, my set looks about 3.5" deep, which is probably not acceptable in today's market.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 16, 2013

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Well, crap. I've been happy with my 42" Panasonic 2005 model, but maybe it's finally time to get something bigger/newer. Main problem for me is I have lots of old AV gear that new displays just don't have inputs/outputs for. It kills me that a new $1000 TV doesn't have analog stereo outputs, multiple component inputs, etc. I shudder to think what horrible adapters I'm going to need.

Edit: holy poo poo they make s-video to HDMI adapters? I had no idea.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 10, 2013

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Cherokee Jack posted:

I realize that for the money the ST series is probably the best there is, but is the regular S series any good? Does it still trounce LCD? I know it's missing some features and it doesn't have 3D, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the TCP**S60 series.

I've been pouring over reviews and forums, and the only knocks on the S60 I can find are, (a) it has a highly reflective screen so it's not too good in a bright room, (b) "only" 2 HDMI inputs, (c) some reports of line bleeding in specific circumstances. Also, I think the ST60 has some modes that deal with 24 fps source material better than the S60.

Also I'm annoyed that it doesn't have analog stereo out, but that is sadly true of most current displays and is not unique to Panasonic.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So, I just updated the Black Friday HDTV thread in Coupons & Deals.

Check this out.

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Kmart/Ad?page=7

The way that page (p. 7) is laid out, makes me think that that the Panasonic listing/price is a mistake. I think that's supposed to be a listing/price for a 51" Samsung.

Edit: If it's not a mistake, pardon me while I sledgehammer out some drywall in my living room to make room for the Panasonic.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 12, 2013

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh, derp, you're right. How do I accomplish this then?

If your TV only has digital audio output, and you need sound from 2 channel analog speakers, then you'll need something like this digital-to-analog converter.

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Co...Optical-Toslink

(I picked this one at random, I've never used it so I can't vouch for it.) Note that most of these converters only work with PCM, not Dolby Digital, and not all TVs output PCM digital in all modes.

It kills me that they stopped putting analog audio output jacks on TVs. I'll also need some kind of D/A adapter like this next time I get a new TV so I can keep using it with my old amp.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
For nine years I've been using a 2005 model 42" Panasonic plasma that I really like and still works, but it's 480p, and I should probably have upgraded years ago to something a little bigger and capable of HD. I'm kind of kicking myself about not getting one of the Panasonic plasmas last year.

But at this point, what's left as a reasonably priced plasma with solid image quality and good reliability? I have fairly limited size options, it's got to be 46" - 51" to locate in the space I have available. Samsung has a 51", "5300" class that looks like a possibility but it looks to be a 2013 model. I see some posts above that like the 60" model of this.

I have lots of old A/V gear so things like lots of component inputs and analog stereo out would be nice but almost no mfgr provides those anymore so why am I even asking.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

A 480P Panasonic Plasma?? What model is that? I know they had EDTVs but never realized they had 42" Plasma EDTVs.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-42PWD8UK-42-Inch-Plasma-EDTV/dp/B000AMNZ6E

Mine is this one:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TH-42PD50U?support
It has about 30,000 hours of use on it now and still looks good.

At the time (early 2005) you could buy it for approximately $2000, when the 720P version was about $2800. And when viewed from 10 feet away (my view distance) you had to look pretty closely to see the difference in picture quality. These ED Panasonics do a really good job downconverting HD. But there is some inevitable screen-door-effect at that res.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Acrophyte posted:

Am I correct in assuming that manufacturers have largely given up on component audio outputs? I'm finding it very hard to get details, even on Amazon. If the new consensus is optical, that's fine, I'd just like to know.

Yeah, the loss of analog audio outputs really pisses me off. How much money can dropping those outputs possibly save? (It's probably more about saving space/weight etc.) but still) I have an old but solid 2-channel stereo amp that I use for all my video and music needs, and I'm in no hurry to buy a new receiver just for digital support.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Both of these are whatever. Sub 700 priced tv's are generic. I guess the Sony?

As someone concerned mainly with 1080p image quality and low price (under 1k) I'm kind of feeling like I missed the last plane out when I didn't get one of the last-generation Panasonic plasmas. Or are the current low and midrange LEDs just as good?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Am I crazy or are HDTVs more expensive now than they were a couple of years ago? I seem to recall there being a good selection of highly-reviewed plasmas and LCDs for under a grand, in the 50-55" range. Now people are throwing around much higher cost numbers. Is it because of the trend to 4k, or are the TVs just bigger also?

I don't really care about 4k. What I do care about is a sharp picture with uniform brightness/black levels (no light bleed), lots of A/V inputs and outputs, solid build quality/long life, and low/moderate cost. (Yeah I also want unicorns to fly out of my butt.)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Is there previous history of a TV having a longer than 1 year warranty (2 years if you buy with a credit card with free warranty extension)? Did the Kuros?

This goes back more than a few years, but in the US market, Curtis Mathes TV's had a 4-year warranty on parts and labor. But they were usually pretty drat expensive to begin with.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is there any push to make 'smaller' (50" or so), flat, 1080p OLEDs, at a reasonable price point (say $1000)? I don't want a curved screen; I don't feel like I need 4k; but I *do* want superior image quality and a wide viewing angle. It seems like everybody is trying to sell me on features I don't care about, while ignoring the features I want. There are tons of 1080p LCDs in the size range I need, but for my living room layout I need something that maintains good image quality over a +/- 35 degree viewing angle.

I should have bought one of the last generation plasmas but I thought mass market OLED was right around the corner. I can't believe the manufacturers abandoned the plasma market so quickly.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 26, 2015

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

http://ces2016.lgnewsroom.com/news/lg-2016-products-unveiled-ces-available-sale-u-s-consumers-today/

Some pricing info, not complete yet.

Top of the line OLED E6 65" will be $6999.

The top of the line 4k LCD 65UH8500 is $2999.

So, it will be interesting to see where the C and B series OLED fit. I'm going to bet $4999 which isn't bad for MSRP. We'll just have to see.

Any prospects of a 50-55" OLED for $1200 or less? Also, has LG fixed the "yellow tint" issue that some reviews mentioned for off-axis viewing? I need (want) plasma-type performance over a wide viewing angle.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

Having said that, i'll join in. I have a decade+ old EDTV (854x480) plasma that the old homeowners left behind; it still works pretty great. i keep it at the end of my loft with an apple TV on it, and it works well; far enough away that honestly content looks great on it, though anything with a lot of text is mediocre (and the black levels are super not great in the daytime).

I'm still using a 42" Panasonic EDTV plasma from 2005, with about 30,000 viewing hours on it. It does a great job downconverting HD, standard DVDs look good on it, and it has a wide viewing angle for everybody in the room. Then again it did cost me 2 grand at the time.

I want something bigger but I'm waiting for OLED to fall to my price point, or for plasma to make a magical comeback. I wish some niche manufacturer bought out Panasonic's plasma product line and kept selling it under a different brand.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 17, 2016

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How does standard DVD look on a 4k set? Better/worse/same as DVD on 1080p display of the same size, say 55"? I'm that guy with a bookcase full of DVDs and fuckall if I'm going to replace them all with blu-ray.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Mozi posted:

It's a real tragedy they don't make plasmas anymore. I got that Samsung 64-incher and if they still made those it would be perfect for that. Seems to be a missing link now for great quality and price w/o 4k/OLED.

Amen. All I really want is a TV comparable in price and image quality (esp. viewing angle) to a midrange Panasonic plasma from a few years ago. I can't understand why the industry dumped a whole tech product line with seemingly such a faithful following, before OLED was really ready for the mass market. At least spin off the plasma line and let some other manufacturer sell it under a different brand name.

I'm hoping flat OLEDs in the 50" size range become cheap soon, but even with OLED tech I keep hearing about green or yellow color shifts when viewed at an angle.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 19, 2016

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Imaduck posted:

I'm thinking of getting the Vizio M60D1 or M65D0

EDIT: Also, I noticed the 60" is IPS while the 65" is VA. I'm reading conflicting things about these technologies; is one really preferred over the other? I might do some gaming on this thing, but It's not really my main concern. Will the response times be okay for me on either display?

VA is typically considered to have blacker blacks and better contrast than IPS, if your viewing position is on/near the centerline of the TV. IPS is generally considered to have a wider acceptable viewing angle than VA, but worse contrast. I don't know about their response times for gaming. Here is some discussion of IPS vs VA:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
OK it's been a couple years so I expect the joke to be over by now -- when is Panasonic going to release a new line of killer plasmas with a really good picture for like $700?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How do y'all have room for these giant TVs? I really need something in the 50" range (max) to fit my living room setup, but LG refuses to give me a flat OLED at that 50" size. And I can't go LED because I need wide viewing angle.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Part of the reason I'm reluctant to upgrade my display is my concern over how my DVD collection will look on anything current. I kind of wish standard def DVD never happened and they just had blu-ray or equivalent as the first generation video format after VHS.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Bill Barber posted:

Modern OLEDs will blow any plasma out of the water. Plasma people are hosed in the head and belong with the gold plated audio cable people.

Lower end and even midrange plasmas cost considerably less than current OLED sets, and were available in more flexible sizes. I'm eagerly waiting for a flat OLED in 50-52" size bracket, that costs under a grand.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The input and output situation on current TVs and A/V devices is a lottery of poo poo that never matches up with what you need to hook up to it. Every new A/V output device in the world is now HDMI basically, so why are there still new TVs being produced now that only have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs? And on the other side of that coin, there are still millions of TVs in use with limited HDMI support, so logically every A/V output device (DVR, Blu-ray, etc.) should have component video out feeds and L/R RCA stereo out jacks, for legacy support. But it's all hosed up over copy protection and bean counting and poo poo. Maybe I do want to use a 4k blu ray player with a 480p plasma with no HDMI support and a 40 year old tube amp for my sound. That should not be treated like a fringe case. (Edit: this is just an example to illustrate my point. My blu ray is only 1080p and the amp is only 30 years old and is solid state.)

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 24, 2017

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
As far as reliability, my 42" Panasonic plasma is 12 years old this month. It has at least 30,000 operating hours on it and still looks good. It might be slightly dimmer and less sharp than when new. Then again, it cost $2000+, so they could afford to put good components in it. And to my dismay you can't get a new Panasonic plasma anymore so this information may not help you with new TVs.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm eager to upgrade, but I have the following constraints with selecting a new TV:

Display must be 49-52" maximum to fit space limitations (rules out OLED as far as I know)

Must have wide viewing angle for sports/movie parties at my house (rules out VA panels)

Want a really good picture with good black levels (rules out IPS panels)

So what do I do? Please don't tell me this simple set of constraints puts me in some kind of market niche that will never be filled

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Not That Into You posted:

Do you have a link? I have been looking for a cheap universal that can work with apple tv

Edit: Just saw this for you LG dudes
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/888184857859284993

Is this at Fry's nationwide? I can't find this deal on their website.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Do we expect HDR to become a "must have" feature, or just a "nice to have" feature? For example, if I buy a budget TV now which is a poor performer with HDR, or doesn't even support it, will I be screwed in a few years because future media releases or streaming video will be provided in an HDR-only format?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
When it comes to low prices on stuff like OLEDs, without naming any specific sellers, there are sometimes certain online retailers that way undercut the more established companies like Amazon or Walmart or Best Buy. Are these "safe" in the sense of maintaining the full product warranty, and selling genuine, new products rather than refurbs or open box?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm pretty tired of standards constantly changing in a transparent marketing effort to drive sales, especially while critical aspects of some display technologies are left "unfixed" generation after generation. 4k isn't that important to me; most of my sources are 1080p or worse. HDR sounds nice but is only marginally important to me. LED TV makers should be focusing on core tech issues like panel uniformity, black level, and viewing angle, all of which are much more important to me than 4k support or HDR or smart features.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

codo27 posted:

Still just kicking tires but as I'm doing research here it seems the TVs I had picked out are all 60hz, which I dont want. Whats out there in 4K+65+"+120hz? I was leaning towards a Vizio E series but it seems they are 60hz, even one of the M series I looked at was.

I don't remember if you had other constraints, but here are a few displays with 4k/65"/120 hz. I don't have any of these but they tend to get good reviews.

Vizio P series
Sony x900e
Samsung MU8000

LG's C7 OLED panels, if you can pony up the dough

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Anae posted:

I'm based in the UK. I need a good TV for movies. Don't care about SmartTV stuff as long as I can plug in a USB device at least, don't even really care about 4K (though I understand most will be 4K anyway). Just want best picture quality for my buck. Room is dark, viewing angle will always be absolutely straight on. Budget is £500.

Finding it absolutely impossible to find a good recommendation that is actually available here. We can't get TCLs, Vizios, or the some of the new Samsung MU range. Would loooove some pointers.

Edit: der, forgot to mention, looking for size around 40" - 43".

Edit2: RTings recommends the Samsung MU6300, which isn't available here. However, the MU6400 is available, but isn't rated on RTings - anyone know what the difference is, if any? Is the 6400 just the EU version of the 6400?

If the Samsungs don't work out, you might try looking for a 43" Sony X800D. It's last year's model, but it tends to get pretty good reviews.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

henpod posted:

Hey guys, is this a good TV for the money? Kind of near the top of my budget, just for gaming and movies - the usual stuff. Just checking if there is anything fatally wrong with that brand or type, or if anyone knows something that is poo poo-hot for similar money.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6992930?cmpid=GS001&_

Also, I don't know much about soundbars and how they work. If the TV doesn't have a headphone jack, do they just pair together through bluetooth? Or do I have to pair them each time etc. Also, what's a good 'budget' soundbar, like £40-£50 quid, or are they all terrible.

Cheers!

I can't find much on that specific model, but many/most LG models sold in the USA use an IPS type panel, which will have an image with less contrast, and black levels that are more like a dark gray. Which would not be optimal for dark scenes in movies. However, AFAIK LG panels have pretty good (low) input lag in game mode.

Something like a mid-range Samsung would probably have better picture quality* and be just as good for gaming.
*Unless you need a wide viewing angle.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

RoboJoe posted:

The first is a Sony Bravia KD49XE8005. It seems to review well enough, and I saw some mention while googling of people using these for their PS4s:
https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia-kd49xe8005-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-android-tv-49-with-freeview-hd-youview-black/p3167698

My second option is a Samsung UE49MU6500. This also seems to have positive reviews but it's a curved screen that I've never used before, so I'm a little worried about that. It's slightly more expensive than the Sony too:
https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...tified/p3190451

The third is a Samsung UE49MU6400 which I think might be the flat version of the one above (in silver):
https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue49mu6400-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-49-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-active-crystal-colour-silver/p3215475
Also i think this is the same one on Amazon a bit cheaper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MU6400-49-Inch-SMART-Ultra/dp/B071DH3HDS

Picking a TV these days seems complex because it almost always involves tradeoffs, possibly excepting situations where you have the budget for OLED or top-top level LCD.

At least in the USA, the Sony model you mention has an IPS display, which will provide better (wider) viewing angle, but relatively poor black levels, which would be an issue for viewing in a dark room, or dark scenes in movies.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

The Samsung models should have a better black level, but a narrower viewing angle.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6300

They should both be OK for gaming, at least in terms of acceptable input lag.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Toe Rag posted:

Right now I have an old 2-channel Onkyo receiver and some bookshelf speakers. I will plan to replace at least the receiver at some point, but is there a way to make it work in the meantime? Do I just use some HDMI-to-RCA cable and it's good to go?

I don't think that TV has any analog sound outputs, only digital optical. So unless your receiver has an optical input or uses ARC/HDMI, your best bet is to try some kind of digital-to-analog RCA converter. There are a lot of them on Amazon. I tried the one linked below for a short while and it worked OK for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZXWHJA

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

No one ever said that they wish they got a smaller TV.

If you mostly watch mediocre source material (cable TV) isn't there a risk of the larger size making the image look like crap? (er, exposing the flaws in the source material?) It's not unusual for me to read user comments that complain that 720p sports on their new 65- 75" 4k tv look blurry or pixelated compared to their prior 42 or 50 inch unit.

Along those lines, for anyone with a new x900e, I'm interested in how you find 720p cable looks on it, esp. sports. I've seen some complaints about football on FOX or ESPN looking below expectations, esp. with respect to details like field grass or text.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The other issue that concerns me with OLED is that it seems like many owners have problems with vertical banding on dark (but not black) content. It's most easily seen on a dark gray screen, but quite a few users say it also can be noticeable when watching content such as night/dawn/dusk/fog scenes. I'd hate to drop thousands on an OLED and have it look like this:

or like this
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2315644&d=1510716292

why can't I just have my plasma TVs back

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 15, 2017

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I guess I'll be a contrarian and say 4k resolution as a factor in image quality, at least on TVs 60" or less viewed at a distance of more than 8 feet, is quite overrated. I'd take a midrange 1080p plasma display from 5 years ago with deep blacks, wide viewing angle, and good uniformity, over a typical brand new 4k HDR LCD any day. Or I would if I still had that choice. (I don't really have the bandwidth to support 4k streaming anyway.) I consider 4k and a lot of other new features to be a marketing push that don't really address the core qualities I want from a TV. (good black level and color from any view angle, solid uniformity, high motion resolution, long term quality/reliability, good upconversion of lower resolutions)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

EDIT: After a fair bit of research, I’ve determined I need to up my budget to get into “mid-range” status. I’m now thinking about $1k and looking at a Vizio P-Series from 2017 or Samsung MU8000, since they seem to be mostly rated the same as a roughly equivalent (and I think more expensive) Sony.

One more option: Of the 2017 models, the Sony X900e is generally the best-reviewed "middle upper price" TV, and if you catch a good sale you might find the 55 inch version for $1000. (Otherwise it's typically $1200)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

Right, but I’m asking if it will ever go on sale again from the MSRP $1200. I’m not trying to find one for cheaper than they’ve ever been on sale for, just wondering if there is another period where they’ll go on sale again or if I missed the window.

Some places might put their remaining x900e stock on sale when the x900f models hit the shelves, which should happen soon, but I have the impression that the x900e sells fast enough that there may not be a lot of unsold stock sitting around. (besides open box stuff)